Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's been one of the hard lessons of aging watching people you admired take right hand turns that they would have found abhorrent like just five years prior. Wish I could say it was only famous people I knew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

What causes it? Internet? Wealth?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

toggle posted:

Things different from when I was a child, change SCARY

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

Even in the 90's Drew was getting paid by GKS to promote Wellbutrin, he's never been a straight shooter.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

toggle posted:

it's just wealth+racism

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

beep by grandpa posted:

it's just wealth+racism

I can't remember the man's name, but he was a comedy writer talking about why all the successful comedians do the pivot and the TL;DR was that when they reach a certain level of success and enjoy the benefits they become the Establishment and want to protect it, not tear it down.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Doctors seem especially prone to it, I think having a genuine expertise can sometimes go bad and lead you to think that well I am great at heart surgery so therefore I must be a genius so therefore I understand politics too.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Yea, and also people that trick themselves into believe that being born into incredible privilege or got insanely lucky means they earned it/are special/deserve it more than everybody else. How many times have we all heard the classic tale of my dad gave me a $800k job in his international real estate business as a middle manager where I sent emails for 3hrs a week and if I can do it anyone can do it just work hard and bootstrap yourselves now let me vote against candidates who support forgiveness for predatory student loan poo poo and also I weirdly have a lot to say about mexicans suddenly

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Grand Fromage posted:

Doctors seem especially prone to it, I think having a genuine expertise can sometimes go bad and lead you to think that well I am great at heart surgery so therefore I must be a genius so therefore I understand politics too.

This was the reason Adam often gave for why nurses tend to go insane and see themselves as bulletproof experts in medicine, parenting, relationships, politics etc

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Recap of Adam’s fundraiser for RFK Jr, seems about what was expected:https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/feb/22/robert-kennedy-jr-los-angeles-fundraiser-2024

Guessing whole lotta grifters are gonna be adjacent to his campaign.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah it's a different thing to different supporters/donors but it's mostly a ratfuck play that, to me, doesn't seem like it's going to work. (Like I think Biden could lose but it seems like RFK Jr. won't peel away many votes or even predominantly-Biden ones... but who knows it's still early).

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

JGdmn posted:

I got on Loveline sometime in the mid to late 90s.

I made up my question to talk to the band.

What band was it?

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Was it ICP or Pennywise? Cause those were the funniest loveline band guests.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Chumbawumba or the Darkness?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

rotinaj posted:

Things different from when I was a child, change SCARY

I think it’s this but also it’s how people THINK things were in their youth since it’s often pretty easy to just omit a lot of the bad of the past from memory.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rick posted:

I think it’s this but also it’s how people THINK things were in their youth since it’s often pretty easy to just omit a lot of the bad of the past from memory.

Yeah like when my family rants on Facebook on how the 50s were a golden time, but also complain about why taxes are so much higher now than they were then. Like...no.

And also LGBTQ didn't exist back then either!

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Cached Money posted:

What band was it?

Bad Religion.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I'm sure the 50s were awesome if you were well off, white, straight, and not a woman desiring a career or her own bank account

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

JGdmn posted:

Bad Religion.

Checks out, what a great guest band they were.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Violent J on Loveline was always a great night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OqH_rbHexc

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

It is a sin to make up your question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_xJQ-oMymM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_q97zG5N-Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlaCSmiq32c

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Violent J on Loveline was always a great night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OqH_rbHexc

Ahh so that’s where all those drops came from haha

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Medullah posted:

I didn't really need to be reminded of how my parents hate(d) that gay people 'rub' it in your face.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Medullah posted:

Yeah like when my family rants on Facebook on how the 50s were a golden time, but also complain about why taxes are so much higher now than they were then. Like...no.

Not just the 50s, people seem to think the 80s-90s were idyllic despite crime rates being 4x higher.

"I have NEVER seen New York city as dangerous as it is today- because I grew up sheltered in 1992 and now have a device where people profit by showing me endless clips of looters. Why can't we go back to before we had all this racial divide? No I never heard of the LA riots"

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also regardless of their knowledge of history, lots of honky rear end honkies are just terrified of dirty cities and the feral creatures living in them

And when you ask them how much time they have spent in a city, well, that seems hardly relevant, they have driven by cities plenty of times

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

rotinaj posted:

Also regardless of their knowledge of history, lots of honky rear end honkies are just terrified of dirty cities and the feral creatures living in them

And when you ask them how much time they have spent in a city, well, that seems hardly relevant, they have driven by cities plenty of times

Why would I need to go to the city to know they're full of trash, homeless people and crime? Next you're gonna tell me that the border isn't a madhouse with millions of criminal migrants flowing in every second.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Red posted:

I didn't really need to be reminded of how my parents hate(d) that gay people 'rub' it in your face.

When they weren’t ‘shoving it down your throat’.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

je1 healthcare posted:

Not just the 50s, people seem to think the 80s-90s were idyllic despite crime rates being 4x higher.

"I have NEVER seen New York city as dangerous as it is today- because I grew up sheltered in 1992 and now have a device where people profit by showing me endless clips of looters. Why can't we go back to before we had all this racial divide? No I never heard of the LA riots"

Because I live in LA I get served legitimately interesting old school LA stuff. Which is interesting to see from a historical standpoint. But then the comments become unhinged immediately. Like they'll be like "POV OF CAR DRIVING DOWN WILSHIRE - JANUARY 92" and all the comments are like "Before all the homeless people and we were all united as one."

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

JGdmn posted:

When they weren’t ‘shoving it down your throat’.

I am happy to remind my family how miserable I was about being dragged to church every week.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

who is number 1?

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

#1 Asian big boob queen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I don’t play tennis no more