Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Awesome stuff. Does he do terrain generation primarily on gpu or cpu? Wondering if there's any hardware that can run it fast enough to truly minimise the pop-in. That's one of the main issues with the engine at the moment. I know even the pro engines which do this stuff haven't eliminated it yet though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It's mostly GPU bound, maybe with a Titan XP you'd see the absolute minimal pop-in but I don't even know if anyone has tested Space Engine with hardware that beefy.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Got around to reinstalling this game, its loving awesome, though I feel like I am missing how to really control space travel well. Its very much so "Woah I am going way to fast!" then I scroll down "Now I am not moving at all" scroll up "Now I am going way too fast again".

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

For space travel, unless you want to just cruise through the stars, I recommend doing auto-pilot by hitting G.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
One of the best things about Space Engine is zooming around the universe at top speed, whizzing past hundreds if not thousands of galaxies and going "ummmmmmmmm THAT one," then slowing down to explore that galaxy and zooming through its stars at the same relative pace you were just traveling through the universe at and going "ummmmmmmmm ok now THAT one," and then zooming down to your newest discovered solar system to see what you've come across.

It's like a multi-layered slot machine. Space-ception.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 17, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
There are absolutely zero game aspects to space engine right? Like no space ship, no nothing? Not that its a bad thing just want to make sure I am not missing anything.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

Got around to reinstalling this game, its loving awesome, though I feel like I am missing how to really control space travel well. Its very much so "Woah I am going way to fast!" then I scroll down "Now I am not moving at all" scroll up "Now I am going way too fast again".

That's one of my favorite things about the game, that it gives you a feel for just how goddamn vast space is by putting everything on the same scale. Messing with the scale manually lets you see for yourself just how many orders of magnitude separate each meaningful scale on space. Planet surface << planet-moon system << star's planetary system << insterstellar distance << galactic structures << the whole galaxy << intergalactic distance.

Uh, that said, I think there's an option somewhere for setting the step size.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

There are absolutely zero game aspects to space engine right? Like no space ship, no nothing? Not that its a bad thing just want to make sure I am not missing anything.

You can use spaceships, but otherwise you are correct. You can spawn different kinds of ships wherever you want and just play around with them.

Queering Wheel fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 17, 2016

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
I mean there are ships you can fly, but no gamey elements no.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
My favourite thing is messing with the spaceflight mode - not with any of the ships or anything, just got moving the camera around. It's basically just a newtonian inertial model, like playing Elite: Dangerous with flight assist off.
But it means you can set yourself moving at a few thousand light years per second through a galaxy, look sideways, let go and watch thousands of stars and nebulae fly by. Don't know why but it just looks awesome, like the world's best screensaver.
Until it crashes because you've filled 16gigs of memory why generated stars.
Also using spaceflight on planets is fun, as it gives you a better sense of scale (and allows more time for the terrain to load properly).

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Knifegrab posted:

I think he added some more usability to the spaceships gameplay in the latest patch but no, not yet. Ultimate goal is to make a game of some kind obviously.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yesterday a post was made on the Official Steam Group for SpaceEngine about testers for the VR features of the program. I'm not home to check my Steam to see if I got a request but here's to hoping, seems like builds of the game are being distributed already on Steam to internal members so I think we should be seeing a Steam release relatively soon.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

No request, so no VR version for me, which is a drat shame since I just got my GTX 1070; on the otherhand this makes loading the terrain insanely fast and is loving amazing for browsing around Space.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Huh, for some reason I thought VR support was already in the current builds.
Interested to see they're supposedly so close to 'launch' - are there any activities you can actually do in game at the moment? As far as I've seen you can still only fly around.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nope, it's still a "Look at Pretty poo poo" simulator, I don't think any gameplay elements (whatever they're going to be) will be added in the initial retail release.

VR is technically in but only under the render options which will render for an DK2 Rift. Seems like the current internal build has proper support for the Vive and CV Rift. Which hopefully means we get roomscale stuff.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
If this guy doesn't license this and sell the poo poo out of it he's a goddamn fool.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Shab posted:

If this guy doesn't license this and sell the poo poo out of it he's a goddamn fool.

That is actually the plan, or rather a funding goal, where this gets and SDK for developers to use in their own games.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I fired it up for the first time in a while yesterday and the visuals are always striking to me. It's the lighting model and planet atmosphere shaders I think - they're just so realistic. Also auto-exposure. It makes Elite: Dangerous look extremely video-gamey.

The problem I guess is still that his terrain generation seems to be highly inefficient and still no-where near as advanced as what Frontier's doing with Elite, or what a bunch of other people have done in other engines. Also it's still very unstable (I get crashed after a certain amount of time. Basically, I wonder (even if he wasn't focussing on the 'game' aspects more now) how much further he could actually push the engine on his own (or with whatever limited team he has).

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

DarkCrawler posted:

EDIT: Pretty sure I found Hell, you guys:

Pretty sure I found Heaven, you guys:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Still no word on a Steam release but there's a new website:

http://spaceengine.org/

Pretty snazzy I suppose.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The flight sim is pretty cool once you get the hang of it. My near-circular low-earth orbit:

EDIT: Cruising Earth at Mach 11. Africa below. Put the music and read this book while exploring the solar system and you have a nice tutorial material. Really makes the game better - brings back the days of Orbiter:

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 4, 2017

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Some more ship exploration shots:

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Like the shots, keep em coming! I like messing around with the flight sim stuff as well. If he ever completes it I think it could be pretty awesome as an actual game.
That atmosphere on the last screenshot there... in some ways this game makes Elite look like rear end. Especially because it has exposure control so you don't always see a really bright galaxy in the background.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It's been a while since anything has happened on the SpaceEngine front and this was posted in December but it looks so drat good. They're working on new shaders for volumetric nebulae and it's stunning:

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
loving nice. Thanks for the update.
Often wish the Elite devs would take a leaf out of SE's book as far as realism in the visuals goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

More pictures were posted about the shader updates and the Nebulae editor and whatnot and I asked what's the deal with the Steam version and we're apparently going to get it later this year, nothing more than that though.

• Locked thread