Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

jhcain posted:

Nah, it's a little bolt that holds a retainer, then you just yank out the doodad that holds the plastic gear. If you can't get the right gear, there are mechanical ratio adjusters that can be installed in line with the speedo cable, too...

And it's way too late now, but just popping out the lower rear seat cushion makes fetching lost seat belts way easier - hop in the rear footwell, and push firmly(!) back on the lower edge of the seat, and then lift up. Do this on each side, and the cushion will be released. Then you can vacuum out more crap, and easily reach the belts!

Hm, that's good to know about the gear and the seat, thank you. Wish I knew that before.

Step one is complete. Drove it fifty kilometers into town. Didn't die, didn't catch fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

jhcain posted:

Nah, it's a little bolt that holds a retainer, then you just yank out the doodad that holds the plastic gear. If you can't get the right gear, there are mechanical ratio adjusters that can be installed in line with the speedo cable, too...

And it's way too late now, but just popping out the lower rear seat cushion makes fetching lost seat belts way easier - hop in the rear footwell, and push firmly(!) back on the lower edge of the seat, and then lift up. Do this on each side, and the cushion will be released. Then you can vacuum out more crap, and easily reach the belts!

Probably the same poo poo jeeps and AMCs and other chrysler-y poo poo takes then.

SB, get me dimensions on the gear (mostly length of various features, shaft diameter, and tooth pitch) and I'll compare to the one I have on my desk. I'd almost put money on you being able to buy nearly any speedo gear you could need off quadratec as long as you get the right length one.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Slung Blade posted:

8, last post, I forgot to tell you about the salamander. When I was tightening the bolts on the hangers for the tailpipe, my ratchet was resonating in the pipe, and after every turn a little salamander somewhere in my front yard would respond with a similar sound, I think he/she was getting sexually excited by it :3:

66 Dodge Coronet - Arousing Salamanders

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

^^^^ hey IOC, new thread title?

So it's at kal tire now, and they said they would have failed it on the out of province inspection due to the play in the idler arm. poo poo. Oh well that's a fifty dollar part from rock auto, alright.

They also said the rubbing is actually because the caliper backing plate is pulling the brake pad too close to the disc. They're looking for some washers to resolve that.

Looks like I still have a few days of slogging through this poo poo yet.

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Sep 19, 2014

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Slung Blade posted:

So it's at kal tire now, and they said they would have failed it on the out of province inspection due to the play in the idler arm. poo poo. Oh well that's a fifty dollar part from rock auto, alright.

They also said the rubbing is actually because the caliper backing plate is pulling the brake pad to close to the disc. They're looking for some washers to resolve that.

Looks like I still have a few days of slogging through this poo poo yet.

Oh poo poo you took it to KT? Which one?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Slung Blade posted:

Salamandarousal.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Your Coronet is way nicer than this one, even with the hoodscoop included. Check out how he dealt with the unobtanium rear tail light trim...

http://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/1966-dodge-coronet-attitude-looks-real-street-sweeper-guts/

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Looks like he just took off the aluminium trim bits, the surround seems to be fine and didn't need replacing. My trim's fine, it's the surround that's hosed. Still not sure if I like that murdered out grill or not though. It kinda looks neat, but the plain grill just has a charm to it.

So the last half of september was a lame fuckaround. A waste of time. I had gone in search of the american muscle car dream, real Gearratio Alger stuff, and came back empty handed.

I got a new temporary tag and took it to Kal Tire to get the alignment done, in hopes that I could take it down to the airport and the Canada Border Security Agency. As I said in a previous post, the idler arm needed replacing, and I hosed up a couple things that they were kind enough to fix.

However, they tell me there's no way it will pass inspection as it is.

You can't have:
-holes in the body (fixable)
-cracked tail lights (fixable)
-oil leaks (gently caress, I dunno)
-exhaust leaks (it's getting replaced when I do the engine, I don't want to fix it)

They held it for nearly a week but they finally got the alignment and brakes and idler arm all done. So that's good. Tried once to take it to the border people, but when Kal Tire worked on the brakes, they made the e-brake cable too tight on one side, and I could smell the pad cooking away by the time I got halfway to the airport. gently caress, I could fix it if I had tools / a jack but I didn't, so I turned around and went back to Kal Tire so they could adjust it again. Left it with them over the weekend. Got it back, and the brake is still dragging, but now it's dragging on both sides a little, but not enough to cook the pads, just makes the wheel a little hotter than it should be. Good enough for now.

I took it to CBSA and got the import paperwork fixed with the correct VIN, finally. Now that I have that, I can get a proper request for out of province inspection with the right VIN. CBSA was really good about it too, nice folks. There were three of them working the desk that day, one seemed to be new or had never done this before (not surprising, not many people import cars at an airport in the middle of the country instead of at the border). She asked: "So what would you use a car like this for?" to no one in particular. The other guy who came out with us to look at the car replied "fix it up and drive the poo poo OUT OF IT". I knew I was in good hands immediately.

After that was done, I discovered that my insurance provider had also used the wrong VIN (different number from the hosed up import/montana registration number). I think the VIN plate on this thing is cursed or something. So turns out I was driving around and getting paperwork and all kinds of poo poo illegally. Awesome. Got that fixed up too.

Now I need to fix that tailgate lens (have a spare, thanks to the PO) and weld in a patch for that little hole in the one side. Then I need to find an inspection place that's a little more lenient so I can register it in this province.

On the good side: The car runs like a drat top, starts easy, pulls hard and handles the highway no problem at all.

The brake booster does not work yet, it's not getting enough vacuum, so it's still a little hard to stop because they're 100% manual right now, but it's still way better than the drums were.

E: Tommychu, I took it to Airdrie. Closest to my office.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Ah. I know one of the mechanics at the Airdrie store but we haven't talked in a few years. I used to work at the one off Barlow and 16th, I think they're still pretty good there but there was a mass exodus of employees shortly after I left so who knows at this point.
A longtime friend was telling me recently that he's got a contact for OOPIs who isn't excessively nitpicky, I've been a horrible scatterbrain lately but I'll leave a note for myself to text him tomorrow.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 5, 2014

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Tommychu posted:

Ah. I know one of the mechanics at the Airdrie store but we haven't talked in a few years.

Was it Harley? He did the alignment and fixed all my fuckups. Solid guy.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Slung Blade posted:

Was it Harley? He did the alignment and fixed all my fuckups. Solid guy.

Yep. He's fixed more than his share of my fuckups as well, and he's a hell of a dude.
Where/how bad is the oil leak? is it something you can "fix" with some solvents and a Hotsy or is it leaking too fast for that?
also same question on the exhaust leaks. Band-type exhaust clamps and a dab of orange silicone can go a long way (for a temporary fix, which is exactly what you need) in my experience.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 5, 2014

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Found something you might be interested in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdydq4iPH-E

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

MrChips posted:

Found something you might be interested in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdydq4iPH-E

Ahh, for the days when domestic terrorism could still be laughed at.

Haven't done anything for a while. Winter is here and poo poo's been busy. Back to it soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Update: I saw the car on Saturday and brushed a little bit of dirt off its bumper.

• Locked thread