Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
The pay to win complaint, I do not buy it. Hordes of F2P orks is how I always pictured that race working. And if the orks manage to win such that no one wants to play the pay races over the free one, victory over the developer is achieved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Maneck posted:

The pay to win complaint, I do not buy it. Hordes of F2P orks is how I always pictured that race working. And if the orks manage to win such that no one wants to play the pay races over the free one, victory over the developer is achieved.

You can only achieve this victory if the game is actually fun to play, or at least tolerable by goons.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

All they have to do is make it half as fun as space marine and it will be fun.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

They want it to be F2P but the base race is some kind of sub race of Ork. The model is all the race are equal except for the F2P ork, because they expect most people will play them and it will be a literal horde and can take on everything else. On the founder pack, while I am super excited about the game, I still remain optically cautious, I will not buy it until I see at least people play live on twitch or some kind of quick look.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If nothing else, once they added the store the webpage looks less like it's from 1992. Small improvements are still improvements...

They even updated the rest of the site to go with it.

I admit, I'm awfully tempted to pick up the cheap pack just on the grounds that even if it's horrible poo poo, I'd play it. But for now, my willpower holds strong. At least until some kind of proper gameplay is released.

Orv
May 4, 2011

randombattle posted:

All they have to do is make it half as fun as space marine and it will be fun.

The early shots they showed of testing were literally just Space Marine MP. :v:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...tm_campaign=all

Interview with escapist.

Also I remember people saying they would like it if it was just Planetside II with a Warhammer skin. Apparently the Game is Space Marine meets Planetside meets Gears of War in a Sandbox.

Also the game is "buy-to-play, free-to-WAAAAGH."

Vulpix
Nov 23, 2000

It is my opinion that your favorite anime sucks.
If I purchase these 120 pack today, is there any content I can play with immediately?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Vulpix posted:

If I purchase these 120 pack today, is there any content I can play with immediately?

From the looks of the website and the description of the pack. It seems you can fool around with the load out.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
This game has gone through a lot of evolutions, and now I'm trying to figure out if they're going for a style of gameplay like Planetside 2 (large servers, massive combat, captures, etc) or how they're going to make everything work. I know the devs are roundabout describing the Planetside 2 direction in interviews, but doing all this in 3rd person and make it work well? I'm skeptical.

When they first began discussing things, it was pubbie plebs playing Orks vs Pay2Win Space Marines.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

https://www.eternalcrusade.com/founder-store

Founder packs, up to $450.

But you get forum access. :downs:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kimsemus posted:

This game has gone through a lot of evolutions, and now I'm trying to figure out if they're going for a style of gameplay like Planetside 2 (large servers, massive combat, captures, etc) or how they're going to make everything work. I know the devs are roundabout describing the Planetside 2 direction in interviews, but doing all this in 3rd person and make it work well? I'm skeptical.

When they first began discussing things, it was pubbie plebs playing Orks vs Pay2Win Space Marines.

Once again look at this it explains pretty well what they are going for (Note that there are two pages). If it will work that way I don't know but I do hope it does as I want the game to be good.

Also Classes http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/06/24/warhammer-40k-eternal-crusade-base-classes-announced/

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

SlothBear posted:

https://www.eternalcrusade.com/founder-store

Founder packs, up to $450.

But you get forum access. :downs:

Hahaha, these guys are shameless. You don't even get everything in the biggest pack. You have to pay $35 extra for each of the four "limited edition" guns even though the second most expensive pack has all of them. And let's face it, you're going to buy a gun if you're the type who thinks the $450 pack looks like a good idea.

Geez, they've already sold 356 guns. The Space Marine bolter is ahead by a landslide, and the Ork gun is the least popular for some bizarre reason. Even the Eldar gun sold almost three times as the much Ork one.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jun 26, 2014

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Once you unlock the 4 race, everything else is cosmetics, so if I buy the 40$ pack I can unlock everything else battlefield style. For me it would be good enough because, I could understand spending up to 120$(even then it's a bit much), but after that it's just insanity. The game isn't even released yet!!!!

quick edit: Also for the 450$ pack you get

quote:

The equivalent of 8 x Boss Pack – 50,000 + 15% Bonus RTP to Spend in the Rogue Trader for a total of 460,000 points. Enough to obtain ALL current items for EACH faction in the Rogue Trader.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 26, 2014

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I sense much hope in this thread. The game is gunna be rear end, one of the devs was playing on a xbox controller and before SM when was the last good 40k game?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Waroduce posted:

I sense much hope in this thread. The game is gunna be rear end, one of the devs was playing on a xbox controller and before SM when was the last good 40K game?

Retribution was fun enough. Normal DoW2 was alright at times but GFWL was a pain in the rear end. Never bothered with Soulstorm but then all the other expansions were good in the first DoW. Also I don't get it about the xbox controller thing, that's pretty much the most common choice for alternate controls in PC games.

Donnerberg posted:

The Ork gun is the least popular for some bizarre reason. Even the Eldar gun sold almost three times as the much Ork one.

What sick alternate universe have I stumbled into.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 26, 2014

Vulpix
Nov 23, 2000

It is my opinion that your favorite anime sucks.
The amount of xeno sympathisers disgust me.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

MonsterEnvy posted:

Once again look at this it explains pretty well what they are going for (Note that there are two pages). If it will work that way I don't know but I do hope it does as I want the game to be good.

Also Classes http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/06/24/warhammer-40k-eternal-crusade-base-classes-announced/

What I'm getting at is Eternal Crusade is suffering from Chris Roberts Syndrome, as in they can't hammer down actual design details, and everything is in a state of flux, but what they are willing to do is offer obscenely priced founder packs to squeeze more funding out of hopeful fanboys.

When this game was first announced, these same developers felt like free to play players playing only Orks would be fun if the pay to win players were playing Space Marines, and that is how the game would be succesful.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

These pricing models are starting to get real gross.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Well at least they're keeping it true to the source material?

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Kimsemus posted:

What I'm getting at is Eternal Crusade is suffering from Chris Roberts Syndrome, as in they can't hammer down actual design details, and everything is in a state of flux, but what they are willing to do is offer obscenely priced founder packs to squeeze more funding out of hopeful fanboys.

When this game was first announced, these same developers felt like free to play players playing only Orks would be fun if the pay to win players were playing Space Marines, and that is how the game would be succesful.

Christ Robert wasn't the first one doing this, there was the same kind of package before Neverwinter came out. It's a new trend that started around 2012/13.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Bleusilences posted:

Christ Robert wasn't the first one doing this, there was the same kind of package before Neverwinter came out. It's a new trend that started around 2012/13.

Which, incidentally, is when Star Citizen first appeared. I'm not saying Chris Roberts was the first to do it, but he's certainly done it best.

Eternal Crusade has a saving grace in that theoretically all the poo poo you can get in the founder's packs can be earned in game, but we'll see. Planetside 2 was pretty awful in pricing when it came to how many Smedbucks guns cost, and some were exclusives. So time will tell.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'm pretty sure there are no guns in Planetside 2 that are real money only anymore. Some of them have asinine Certification requirements, but I think they're all available for free, unless you specifically want the one with a gold paint job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doink9731
May 11, 2011

I'm living in a nightmare.
Hi. Sorry if I'm stepping on toes, but I made a new thread with a more up to date original post here.

• Locked thread