Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

SynthOrange posted:

Well playing from Australia was a terrible idea. The lag makes everything a ridiculous chore with commands going to the wrong units and some missed entirely. Units rubberbanded everywhere and ugh, yeah this was a poor idea. :smith:

Dawn of Fantasy would be a decent game if they managed to figure out how to design peer to peer mutiplayer as well as say Total War. I'd wager it fairly impossible to play with anyone who isn't in the same region as you. The PvP/Co-op system does not try to match you with people in the same (e: geographical real life) region as you.

Kreczor posted:

any way of interacting as a group?

The following requirements must be met before engaging in a cooperative siege:
1.) Both players have an army score within 10% of each other.
2.) Both players have their armies in the same game region on the world map.
3.) The player being invited has PvP protection off. The player sending out the invite can have PvP protection on.

Also a requirement I didn't put in there was a solid connection and low ping between the two players. Guilds exist, but they primarily serve as a glorified private chat room. See my 1st post in this thread for the full deal on how to engage in siege with other players which is just about the only way to interact as a "group" (with 1 other person) in DoF. There are no multiplayer interactions in DoF greater than 2 players.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Keep in mind that this is supposed to change. I recall reading something about massive guild versus guild stuff. Probably will go in once they get some other features (Like naval combat.) in.

Also, I do recall seeing a video on youtube showing off what looked like 4 different sides on the minimap. Forget what it was from in game though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I mean I see the potential this game has there but there's all these hurdles in the way of actually getting to decent gameplay. Oh well. Next game I guess.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
This is now in an Indie Royale bundle currently for about 2.50 (including 7 other games), is it worth grabbing? Looks like the game is flawed but I remember reading people having fun back when the thread was started... I didn't catch up on the thread though.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Comic posted:

This is now in an Indie Royale bundle currently for about 2.50 (including 7 other games), is it worth grabbing? Looks like the game is flawed but I remember reading people having fun back when the thread was started... I didn't catch up on the thread though.

If you can find a friend to play the PvE co-op sieges with it might be worth paying money for but otherwise Medieval Total War and the mods for it do the job far better. There is no town customization for elves and humans, and the PvP if you can even find a match is nothing to write home about. Due to the easily activated PvP protection you'll rarely if ever siege someone's capital and even if you do the rewards are lackluster in the scheme of things and they can easily repair their base back to its previous state. There's no territory conquest so the base you start out with is all you get. The economic factors in creating your army and town are simple and linear, it's merely progression instead of resource management. All in all it depends on how much of an interest you have in playing the game purely for the slightly unique premise that it's a persistent 2 player online RTS with a chat lobby.

vvv Huh I thought they just de-leveled because that's what always happened to my dumb dragons. If you can somehow can get lucky enough to get into a PvP match and nuke someone's high level hero there may be some trolling potential vvv

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 6, 2014

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Extra posted:

If you can find a friend to play the PvE co-op sieges with it might be worth paying money for but otherwise Medieval Total War and the mods for it do the job far better. There is no town customization for elves and humans, and the PvP if you can even find a match is nothing to write home about. Due to the easily activated PvP protection you'll rarely if ever siege someone's capital and even if you do the rewards are lackluster in the scheme of things and they can easily repair their base back to its previous state. There's no territory conquest so the base you start out with is all you get. The economic factors in creating your army and town are simple and linear, it's merely progression instead of resource management. Troops that matter (Dragons, heroes) can't be perma-killed in PvP anyway so replenishing your army just consists of cranking out troops and then bringing them to a town with bags of gold to level them up. All in all it depends on how much of an interest you have in playing the game purely for the slightly unique premise that it's a persistent 2 player online RTS with a chat lobby.

Alternatively, the main premise of my OP still stands. Do you enjoy burning people's poo poo down and seeing them cry in the aftermath of it all? If so, this game has some appeal to you.

It's a shame they had issues outside the game that kept them from developing it further for so long. A lot of their proposed features that were coming down the pipe were genuinely good looking. The delay seems to have thrown them a bit off balance however. At the moment they're trying to play catch up by releasing content expansions instead of expanding on the existing warfare mechanics. I'd say if you don't want to do your best Trogdor impersonation, then check back in a few months.

Also, heroes and dragons are killable. They just have to be over a certain level. I know i've gotten some angry messages in the past after executing operation "Burn that motherfucking knight hero to the ground.", which involved a lot of fire archers, oil traps, and one pissed off dragon inside a giant ring of fire I set up for an impromptu burning cage match. Apparently the guy lost a high level hero from the ensuing conflagration and dragon wanting a snack.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Normally I would refrain from double posting, but since it's been more than two weeks since the last post I figured this would be best so that people who were still interested in the game managed to see this. This is a pretty huge deal who felt the scope of the game's gameplay was too small, so yeah.

Anyways, so apparently two big things happened recently. Remember the complaints about the town building aspects and combat aspects of the game being limited to basically being singleplayer or competitive multiplayer? That's changing. I received this email yesterday. Pictures were omitted for the sake of simplicity since it was a pain to parse this out from the email.

quote:

Road to Empire!
Conquer the world for fun and profit.

We are really excited to share the biggest news since Dawn of Fantasy: Kingdom Wars launched - the upcoming release of the Empire expansion. The massive Empire expansion completely reinvents the gameplay - changing Kingdom Wars from local city building game, into massive empire building simulation. And in tune with our company values and tradition - this expansion is absolutely free! This is a way for us to give back to the community that has supported us over the years, sticking with us through the bugs and lag, and aided us in polishing and improving the game.

Empire’s main feature is greatly expanding the scope and length of the game. In Empire, players will get the opportunity to literally take over the world - commanding a huge military, political and economic empire that covers the entire game world - from the human Southmount Mountains to the desolate deserts of Brakental.

While players still start the game with one town, the ultimate goal would be fighting to create and maintain an empire of up to 30 towns, that players captures, controls and defends. And the best part - the second major feature of Empire - we are greatly expanding the PvP concept of the game - now players will fight other players for control of all the large towns on the world map, with town control shifting between players based on the outcome of the battle.

Bolded the important bits to most people. Also, here is a list of features that will be in the Empire expansion.

quote:

Let’s break it down
What's in the expansion?

The Empire expansion comes with an impressive list of features, given the total game changing nature of this expansion.

Control up to 30 Towns - players are now able to control and maintain up to 30 towns on the World Map, including their starting homeland, and all the predesigned capital towns.

Conquer and Defend - with new PvP options players now fight each other over control of predesigned capital towns on the World Map. The player who wins the siege will control the town, with the loser retreating as they watch their empire shrink.

Additional Options - while some players will prefer to conquer and defend their towns against other players, we are keeping the option for Singleplayer conquest, or even CoOp conquest - take over the world together with your friends.

Create a Trade Empire - as your Empire grows so will your expenses and logistics. To help with empire maintenance we are including a Trade empire functionality - allowing players to establish automated trade-routes with various pros and cons between various towns in their empire.

New Town Management - controlling vast empires made easy with the ability to use new town management interface - assign workers tasks with easy Worker Management, select what units to train with a click of the mouse. Inside your towns you can now - Manage Economy, Manage Trade, Recruit Units, Recruit Mercenaries, Level Units, Heal Units, Trade Goods, Trade Livestock and so much more.

Suffice that it looks to say that they've probably recovered from the loss of some of their staff back during the summer. This expansion ought to pick interest back up in the game when it comes out if they do it right.

The other thing is the inclusion of a new promotion. If you have an account you may have gotten an email with a bonus code in it. This code should give you a red dragon and a minotaur, from what I understand. Not sure if it gives other things, but if you're still playing it may pay to check your email. Not as big of a deal as the first announcement, but it's literally an elite shock trooper to gently caress things up with and another way to set poo poo on fire. You can't go wrong with that. :black101:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 18, 2014

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
They're releasing another expansion already? Is the stuff they promised for Arcana done yet? I wanted a mage hero. :(

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
Yo dudes, is the whole alliance thing is still going I'd like an invite to the alliance for analhaggar the lord of Hagglund Castle, sworn enemy of pubmeisters.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Is this still a thing?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Hey, this is free to play now, and has an extremely cheap starter pack! Come check it out, it's pretty cool and has fire!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Hey, this is free to play now, and has an extremely cheap starter pack! Come check it out, it's pretty cool and has fire!

Meant to post about this when I saw it, but I wasn't sure the thread was even still around.

So yeah, to expand on that the game is free to play and they've done a lot of work to add stuff in. There's been a bunch of free expansion packs adding everything from magic, to new units, to new mechanics like guild sieges and some sort of territory control system in.

From the look of the patch notes they also fixed most of the janky bugs. The lag is gone now for instance. Also, co-op no longer requires tweaking ratings if you want to PVE. You can just add anyone you want and pillage to your heart's content without having to deal with that.

Tempted to remake the thread due to the F2P changeover but i'm not sure if there's still much interest in Dawn of Burning and Pillaging Fantasy. Plus i'm not sure how much time i'll have to maintain it in the future if it becomes a regular thing.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 21, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Archonex posted:

The lag is gone now for instance. Also, co-op no longer requires tweaking ratings if you want to PVE. You can just add anyone you want and pillage to your heart's content without having to deal with that.

These were probably the two most huge glaring issues with the game and it's definitely worth a try if it's now easier to play with a buddy. I'm pleasantly surprised Reverie forged on despite numerous setbacks to continue developing DoF.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Extra posted:

These were probably the two most huge glaring issues with the game and it's definitely worth a try if it's now easier to play with a buddy. I'm pleasantly surprised Reverie forged on despite numerous setbacks to continue developing DoF.

Yeah, from what I recall the thing that killed the interest of most goons was the lag and the difficulty in playing together. Both were understandable since the game was EA back then. But it sounds like they've fixed them since they finished the core game up and have released it with a F2P option.

This game is still the best MMORTS on the market. Especially since they added in fire magic. It's like someone took the best parts of EVE Online's "single death asset" concept then mixed it with Stronghold. Then gave players the ability to rampage around and literally light someone else's belonging's on fire in ridiculously brutal siege and open field warfare.

I mean, take a look at the screenshots I posted of a siege on page 2 and tell me that isn't the most :black101: way of sieging a town. Those screenshots I posted were a low to mid range siege at the time too. The game's only gotten bigger and better since then.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 22, 2014

Ess
Mar 20, 2013
I just signed up and am having a lot of fun with it so far. Is there still a goon alliance or should I start one?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Ess posted:

I just signed up and am having a lot of fun with it so far. Is there still a goon alliance or should I start one?

It still exists. I think Extra made me a recruiter way back so I can recruit to it. However it's pretty dead at the moment.

Since it costs influence to make a guild it'd be easier to use it if the privileges and guild content are available despite how gutted it is. Especially since guild upgrades cost influence. However if someone wants to make a new one go ahead. I can invite in the meantime if I have your in game name.

Also I discovered today that they added in customization for towns, your starting hero, and banners. Banner customization is a bit wonky at the moment, but i'm hoping we can do something stupid like having standard bearers carry a banner with a pink flaming dragon on it into battle. Assuming people are interested in this game again that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ess
Mar 20, 2013

Archonex posted:

It still exists. I think Extra made me a recruiter way back so I can recruit to it. However it's pretty dead at the moment.

Since it costs influence to make a guild it'd be easier to use it if the privileges and guild content are available despite how gutted it is. Especially since guild upgrades cost influence. However if someone wants to make a new one go ahead. I can invite in the meantime if I have your in game name.

Also I discovered today that they added in customization for towns, your starting hero, and banners. Banner customization is a bit wonky at the moment, but i'm hoping we can do something stupid like having standard bearers carry a banner with a pink flaming dragon on it into battle. Assuming people are interested in this game again that is.

Sure, I'm Ess in game as well. I'm still trying to save up enough influence to build a wooden wall. Is it possible to gain influence by just roving the countryside killing bandits and the like, or do I only get it from quests and besieging NPC and player cities?

• Locked thread