Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Pretty sure I already admitted as much either in this thread or somewhere else.

Oh yeah? Why should we trust your judgement on this when you preordered Antifragile?!?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

And to think that I actually pre-ordered Antifragile... :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh yeah? Why should we trust your judgement on this when you preordered Antifragile?!?

I'm a D&D mod, the best argument against trusting my judgment. :shrug:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm a D&D mod, the best argument against trusting my judgment. :shrug:

Quoting to toss in next time we're arguing about something :smug:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Nassim Taleb trying to answer the question of just how many fields he can be wrong about in a single essay:

https://medium.com/@nntaleb/the-most-intolerant-wins-the-dictatorship-of-the-small-minority-3f1f83ce4e15#.b43jy4ix4

It's amazing how self-described top philosopher Nassim Taleb switches from a matter-of-fact argument about minority choices or something to a rant about how GMO shills are stupid and evil. Maybe he should get himself hired by Vice.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Could the proliferation of these make genetic engineering less intimidating and scary?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I have a basic science logistics question. How are people in these underground or independent labs disposing of waste?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

WrenP-Complete posted:

I have a basic science logistics question. How are people in these underground or independent labs disposing of waste?

I don't see anything about disposal in any of these tutorials, so I guess it's not really an issue. :downs:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

WrenP-Complete posted:

What do you think the drain is for you noob.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

WrenP-Complete posted:

If you are near larger cities you pay a company, if not then you better have a high efficiency furnace in your garage. GMO by itself is easy to make safe and dispose of, it is all those other additives such as metals, some antibiotics and strong bases/acids that usually require more care.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Zudgemud posted:

If you are near larger cities you pay a company, if not then you better have a high efficiency furnace in your garage. GMO by itself is easy to make safe and dispose of, it is all those other additives such as metals, some antibiotics and strong bases/acids that usually require more care.

You could just go for one of the bleach-inactivated antibiotics, makes it nice and easy to make safe in one step. Though again, if you're an ~underground 1337 bio hax0r~ your disposal probably consists of a drain and a lack of inspections, maybe with a pressure cooker ghetto autoclave inbetween.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Does anyone know where to start looking for data on the environmental impact of small vs large scale agriculture? I know I've read about it in this thread before but I'm drawing a blank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

SpaceCommie posted:

Does anyone know where to start looking for data on the environmental impact of small vs large scale agriculture? I know I've read about it in this thread before but I'm drawing a blank.

Google Scholar is always your friend. Start there.

The real problem is defining "environmental impact". Are we speaking of biodiversity and if so, on what scale? Are we speaking of fuel and economic costs? Or maybe macroeconomic food supply chain?
Say, we're speaking of biodiversity. The habitat heterogeneity loss in cultured lands is linked to negative biodiversity development in practically all measures - areas with larger single unit size support diversity than a patchwork of smaller-scale units. This isn't surprising at all and is pretty much the null hypothesis (you are separating the different patches with ever larger matrix of mostly unsuitable habitat). However, if you start to look at things such as food production efficiency, you run into a thing where local and regional biodiversity loss might be compensated by reduced overall environmental factor - depending wholly on your personal assesment and values.

El Perkele fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jan 20, 2017

• Locked thread