Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Quick question about Pikmin 3: Does the single player story have you revisiting areas once you leave them? Right now I'm just following along where the story takes me, but I have no idea if there's a point where the narrative kind of pauses and lets you do your own thing. If there isn't, then I'll go ahead and do some backtracking to get the fruit that I missed.

For extra clarification: I realize that I CAN just go back to an area if I want. I'm just wondering if I'll end up missing a lot if I voluntarily go where the story tells me to go. Or if there's like, an obvious part where they say "are you SURE you're ready to go to the _____ area?" so you know to go and collect things before the end of the game.

Sorry if this has been covered a lot, but didn't want to spoil anything by reading through the thread.

VVVVVV great to know, thanks!

Minidust fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Minidust posted:

Quick question about Pikmin 3: Does the single player story have you revisiting areas once you leave them? Right now I'm just following along where the story takes me, but I have no idea if there's a point where the narrative kind of pauses and lets you do your own thing. If there isn't, then I'll go ahead and do some backtracking to get the fruit that I missed.

For extra clarification: I realize that I CAN just go back to an area if I want. I'm just wondering if I'll end up missing a lot if I voluntarily go where the story tells me to go. Or if there's like, an obvious part where they say "are you SURE you're ready to go to the _____ area?" so you know to go and collect things before the end of the game.

Sorry if this has been covered a lot, but didn't want to spoil anything by reading through the thread.

Basically once you get all of the characters together, Alph, Brittany and Charlie, you're free to go to any previous areas to collect missing fruit and explore, there's nothing major you'll be missing if you don't go back. You'll know you're at the end of the game when you unlock the final area which doesn't have fruit to collect, it will also take you several attempts to get through so have a couple days worth of juice set aside for it. Once that final area is unlocked, that's when you'll want to do you 100% clean-up and then go for the end of the game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Wow, this thread hasn't seen a new post in nearly a month. Buy this game, dorks.

Anyway, there's a free update for the game on the eShop; it adds one extra mission and makes some changes to the global rankings to make them easier to view.

They're also gonna start rolling out DLC missions soon, there's one available right now.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I'm only on day 3 of this so far and I can already tell this game is going to stress me out. So much micro managing! Have to get everything as efficiently as possible!

What is the difficulty curve for this game like? I figure a Nintendo game in general can't be too punishing but I don't want to get brickwalled late in the game when everything takes a huge spike.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Overall the difficulty is a pretty gentle curve, with the exception of the last level, which has a noticeable spike. Without revealing too much, this spike comes a lot from the final level suddenly putting you under a set of rules and constraints that you have never encountered before in the game. Once you take a couple of in-game days to get used to them, though, they aren't too bad (just very stressful).

Anyway, apparently some new DLC has been released recently? I won't be near my Wii-U for a couple weeks but has anyone played it yet? It it worth buying?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

dijon du jour posted:

Overall the difficulty is a pretty gentle curve, with the exception of the last level, which has a noticeable spike. Without revealing too much, this spike comes a lot from the final level suddenly putting you under a set of rules and constraints that you have never encountered before in the game. Once you take a couple of in-game days to get used to them, though, they aren't too bad (just very stressful).

Anyway, apparently some new DLC has been released recently? I won't be near my Wii-U for a couple weeks but has anyone played it yet? It it worth buying?

I'd say it is. It's enemy battle DLC and it remix's story mode maps and the like. It's pretty fun! The first free map is Tropical Wilds Remix.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

dijon du jour posted:

Yeah, once you get the hang of the game, and get a good juice supply so you have time to burn, the difficulty curve is pretty easy, aside from the occasional boss. But it's important to remember that you can always run away if you're a pansy if a boss is kicking your rear end too much and restock on Pikmin and rethink your strategy.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I like that you can restart a day if everything just goes totally pear-shaped and the game doesn't punish you for it.

Trying to have two dudes doing things at once is just a little more than my poor stupid brain can handle I'm not looking forward to three at once once I get the captain.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I always use the third to just stand at the ship and pluck Pikmin once they flower up. There's probably a much more efficient way to use three characters, but damned if I can figure it out.

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011
How the gently caress am I supposed to beat that snake thing that swallows the cell phone??? Even with yellow pikmin in its hard to hit him when he starts coming out on a tall mound of dirt and I can never get too many guys on him, especially without letting my crew get smooshed by the rocks :(

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I never really had problems with throwing Pikmin on that boss but if you want a different strategy I believe you can throw Pikmin carrying bomb rocks into the sink-hole the boss creates sometimes to damage it.
The only downside is having to live with the memory of those Pikmin you intentionally sacrificed for your own selfish gain as you lie awake at night wondering: "Who's the real monster?"

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 24, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Born Approx. posted:

How the gently caress am I supposed to beat that snake thing that swallows the cell phone??? Even with yellow pikmin in its hard to hit him when he starts coming out on a tall mound of dirt and I can never get too many guys on him, especially without letting my crew get smooshed by the rocks :(

When he pops out of a tall mound lock on and shake the wiimote to swarm him, don't even bother throwing.

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011
Oh, I've been playing with the game pad. I didn't even know you could swarm...

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

The Born Approx. posted:

Oh yeah, that'd be your problem. Always use the Wiimote/nunchaku control scheme if you can. I cannot stress how infinitely superior it is to using the Gamepad.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

The Born Approx. posted:

You can, if you lock on first pressing B orders a charge instead of dismissing everyone. I had no issues beating the game with the gamepad.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Stolen from the Wii U thread:

Pikmin 3 is $40 on Newegg right now, and you can bring it down to $36 using the promo code NAFSM1127 :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16878190291

Also, because I forgot to mention it when it was announced... there's a a new set of 10 missions coming next week, and unlike the previous DLC they include all-new stages, including one set around a giant Christmas tree. There's also a new gimmick that involves liberating Louie from each stage. It'll cost $5 for all the missions, and there'll also be a couple freebies available with the new update, as per usual.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The new DLC is up. Happy holidays, motherfuckers!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This new DLC also made me finally cave and buy the Battle Enemies DLC, even though I am terrible at that mode and don't really get how to do it effectively. :saddowns:

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I played and loved this game when it came out but only recently got to try the DLC and oh my goodness the new treasure missions are HARD to Platinum. The second DLC one (Silver Lake Remix) took me probably 4-5 hours to make Platinum. Only the first hour or so of that was thinking up the main optimal route, the rest of it was perfecting every part of the plan. Just finished it with 13 seconds to spare.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I bought this game on a whim having never played the series before, but hearing good things about it and I need something to justify my Wii-U purchase. Anywho, I loving love this poo poo! It's so charming and cute and weird and I need it inside me. Anywho, once I beat this game at some point, would it be worth tracking down the Wii releases of the first 2 games? Or am I not really "adding" anything to the experience by doing so?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

chaosapiant posted:

I bought this game on a whim having never played the series before, but hearing good things about it and I need something to justify my Wii-U purchase. Anywho, I loving love this poo poo! It's so charming and cute and weird and I need it inside me. Anywho, once I beat this game at some point, would it be worth tracking down the Wii releases of the first 2 games? Or am I not really "adding" anything to the experience by doing so?

I'd suggest tracking down 2 as it's longer and way more diverse then 3 (though a little less polished as a result). 1 has no real variation to it and I don't personally think it's aged well outside of being a good speedrun game.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
I highly recommend the first game, just because it pulls off a completely bleak setting so well. They're all good games, and the second definitely has more things to do, but I think overall the first game is a better experience. To answer the question, yes, it's definitely worth tracking down the first two games.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'd suggest tracking down 2 as it's longer and way more diverse then 3 (though a little less polished as a result). 1 has no real variation to it and I don't personally think it's aged well outside of being a good speedrun game.

Yeah, 2 is really cool. I guess I can see why people wanted to get back the time limit aspect of the first game for 3, but I just really fuckin' loved the dungeon crawling in 2. So fun.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Pikmin 2 has a lot of strong points - a ton of junk to find, way more enemy creatures than in the other games, Louie, a neat multiplayer mode that noone ever played - but shifting the focus away from the original format and towards those drab, tedious, neverending caves was a big mistake, and I'm glad they course-corrected with Pikmin 3.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

This is the most thought anybody's ever put into Pikmin. (Spoilers for Pikmin 3)

I gotta say I never really gave much thought as to why some bosses left behind a corpse and some just wilted/melted away.

As nerdy and insufferably presented as this is, I'm happy to see that it exists. Pikmin's slight second layer of creepiness always struck me as something worth analyzing.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Pikmin 2 has a lot of strong points - a ton of junk to find, way more enemy creatures than in the other games, Louie, a neat multiplayer mode that noone ever played - but shifting the focus away from the original format and towards those drab, tedious, neverending caves was a big mistake, and I'm glad they course-corrected with Pikmin 3.

I'll definitely second this. Even though 2 introduced a lot of interesting ideas that show up in 3, 1 is really more closely related to 3 than 2 is. Pikmin 1 is kind of a shortened, simplified version of Pikmin 3, and I definitely recommend it to the poster who has only played 3; Pikmin 2 is kind of a sprawling mess with a somewhat different feel, though still a good game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Jut letting PAL dudes know that you can buy a digital copy of Pikmin 3 from the Nintendo UK website for 8.95GBP right now:

http://store.nintendo.co.uk/gift-ideas/price/up-to-100.list#ninint_GBP_price%3A[5%20TO%209.99]|sort:price

EDIT: over already?

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 14, 2014

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

I picked up 3 earlier this week, it's genuinely cute and fun but holy poo poo the retarded AI and awful targetting get infuriating when they're at their worst. I don't know how many times I've ordered the pack of shitheads to dodge, then half the group for who knows what loving reason decides the appropriate response to completing a dodge is to walk right back in the direction dodged from. Quirky geography foils my effort to whistle-rouse pikmin, and that golden blob fight pissed me off so much I had to shut the console off for a while.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Bumping this thread to let people know that Nintendo just patched Pikmin 3 to add stylus controls. Haven't tried 'em out yet.

Also, for those who didn't know, there's a Mario Kart 8 promotion going on that'll let you claim a free digital game if you register MK8 with Club Nintendo, and Pikmin 3 is one of the eligible freebies.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
Just my luck. I get a Wii U finally and the Mario Kart promotion is over.

Anyone know why Pikmin 3 is suddenly $60-$65?? I swear only a week ago it was much cheaper.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Finally got around to buying this. I thought Pikmin 2 was so hard because I was a silly child at the time. Nope, Pikmin is just loving difficult and I am terrible at it.

Is it just me or are the days way shorter in this one?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

Finally got around to buying this. I thought Pikmin 2 was so hard because I was a silly child at the time. Nope, Pikmin is just loving difficult and I am terrible at it.

Is it just me or are the days way shorter in this one?

I don't think they're shorter, but I can't seem to find any hard info for how long Pikmin 2's days were. 1 and 3 were both ~13 minutes and I assume 2 was the same. However the days in Pikmin 2 may feel way longer since time doesn't pass during the caves, which are the majority of the game. Since you could do multiple caves in a single day, it could feel like they last forever.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Regy Rusty posted:

I don't think they're shorter, but I can't seem to find any hard info for how long Pikmin 2's days were. 1 and 3 were both ~13 minutes and I assume 2 was the same. However the days in Pikmin 2 may feel way longer since time doesn't pass during the caves, which are the majority of the game. Since you could do multiple caves in a single day, it could feel like they last forever.

That's probably it. It would have been nice if they left in the 'time freezes in caves' system, but didn't make caves quite as random or labyrinthine as in Pikmin 2.

EDIT: loving hell skimming through this thread, the consensus is really that the Wiimote is better than the gamepad for this? There are only two games that are bearable to play with that thing, and they're both called Mario Galaxy. I tried the Pikmin 2 NPC version once and couldn't last 5 minutes.

stev fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 16, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The majority of posts in this thread were made before they patched the game with stylus controls, which a lot of people really like, so you might wanna give those a shot.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
The stylus controls are really loving good. With normal controls, you'll just be wondering why they dropped the c-stick bugle

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The stylus should have worked seamlessly but in practice if you were anywhere near an obstacle you'd end up throwing your Pikmin into it, and its reach was limited.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
The stylus controls are great unless you are left-handed in which case gently caress you.

Which is fine, I still really enjoy using the Wii Remote controls. Surprised this thread is back, too; I'd been playing the treasure hunting and Battle enemies missions and having a blast with those. Some of those world records are just insane, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I didn't bump this thread at the time because I figured it had been archived, but, there's a Pikmin 3 demo on the eShop, it went up a week or two ago.

There are also a bunch of Pikmin CGI movies that you can buy on the Wii U/3DS eShop for about $5, if you really want to.

• Locked thread