Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Does that also work in other start dates where there are still tribes but the rest of the world is more developed?

Yes, but it takes longer to get started because the first few wars are harder to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

I played the tribal start with Sigurdr Ring, and converted into a Reformed Norse Merchant Republic. Gold will never be a problem. Also, the AI families established their first trade posts in Costantinople and the surrounding lands. I found it quite appropriate, since my last two kings were Varangian veterans, but does that have anything to do with it or did they zoom in on the highest value spots?

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

I think AIs will put trade posts in the good spots first, yes.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

vyelkin posted:

Does that also work in other start dates where there are still tribes but the rest of the world is more developed?

It breaks down some when the various Islamic blocs can throw 30k troops at you like it's nothing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Funky Valentine posted:

Both of Pepin's sons get event chains to kill one another. Charlemagne usually wins out and forms Francia after steamrolling Saxony.

It's not even that complicated. Karl and Karloman start out as rivals, so you can simply select War focus and duel your brother. If Karl wins, he unites Francia.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

wiegieman posted:

It breaks down some when the various Islamic blocs can throw 30k troops at you like it's nothing.

I'm having trouble in my West African Canary Islands game because of this. Can't really expand out because of the massive levies that the Umayyads can put against me. My only hope is to somehow get control of the Kingdom of Mali down south and work up from there, but Elective Gavelkind is kind of difficult to get into from outside.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

I think the hardest tribal starts are in Scotland. No CBs on your neighbours.

No CBs!

All you can really do is try to fabricate claims, and there's just no chance that lets you sustain perpetual war. Your income is like four cents a generation, some of your neighbours are feudal (!!), and the Norsemen are coming.

I thought it might be classy to do my tribe tutorial as the Isle of Man, but after three successive rulers died without ever having done anything I said "gently caress it" and rolled up a steppe chief.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Coward posted:

I'm having trouble in my West African Canary Islands game because of this. Can't really expand out because of the massive levies that the Umayyads can put against me. My only hope is to somehow get control of the Kingdom of Mali down south and work up from there, but Elective Gavelkind is kind of difficult to get into from outside.

Actually, does anyone have any deeper advice than this? I'd love to reform the West African faith from here, but I can't quite work out an angle on it. I have captured people who I can use for a quick conversion to a Merchant Republic (my other goal) if necessary, before I convert back, but I'm just not sure how best to crack the nut of the Umayyad blob that stretches over all but the northern bit of Spain.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Coward posted:

Actually, does anyone have any deeper advice than this? I'd love to reform the West African faith from here, but I can't quite work out an angle on it. I have captured people who I can use for a quick conversion to a Merchant Republic (my other goal) if necessary, before I convert back, but I'm just not sure how best to crack the nut of the Umayyad blob that stretches over all but the northern bit of Spain.

My advice for a West African Canary Islands Republic game: Main Menu -> Resign

Not trying to sound too cynical but that's quite possibly the hardest and least satisfying choice of any start in the game. The West African faith has little to no features, and you're sitting on a tiny, tribal island surrounded by powerful and plentiful enemies who will destroy you the instant you make any gains in Europe/Africa. You can't work your way to the top of Mali because to swear fealty you need to be bordering one of their counties, and sea zones don't count.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?

Odobenidae posted:

My advice for a West African Canary Islands Republic game: Main Menu -> Resign

The Ghana MegaLP is the closest you will get to a satisfying West African run. Of all the pagan religions in CK2, it roughly goes Norse >>>>>>>>>Zun/Zoroastrian>Tengri>Slavic/Romuva>Finnish>ANYTHING ELSE DEAR GOD>Pagan>Hellenic>West African. I don't care if I just ranked it below two placeholder religions, I don't even think modders give a poo poo about West African.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

AdventFalls posted:

The Ghana MegaLP is the closest you will get to a satisfying West African run. Of all the pagan religions in CK2, it roughly goes Norse >>>>>>>>>Zun/Zoroastrian>Tengri>Slavic/Romuva>Finnish>ANYTHING ELSE DEAR GOD>Pagan>Hellenic>West African. I don't care if I just ranked it below two placeholder religions, I don't even think modders give a poo poo about West African.

Actually, Viet immersion added an amazing amount of neat stuff for West African Pagans, if I recall. Sadly, that's the module they still haven't updated.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

When you say "captured people to use for conversion to a merchant republic", what do you mean? How do prisoners help with that?

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Sorites posted:

When you say "captured people to use for conversion to a merchant republic", what do you mean? How do prisoners help with that?

In order to go from Tribal to either a Merchant Republic or a Feudal state, you have to have a Reformed Religion. Rather than waiting for someone to somehow convert you, if you're not Zealous you can take Concubines (not prisoners), and then get a Decision to switch to a Concubine's religion.

So I have a Muslim concubine and can change to her religion, found my Merchant Republic, and then use another Decision to convert back to my home territory's religion for 1000 Piety.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So are there no currently ongoing guides?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

So are there no currently ongoing guides?
Nah. The one I'm gonna do ONE DESE DAYZ for the challenge thread will sorta talk do that, because I'll have to explain the Zun poo poo but otherwise if you have questions, the Ck2 thread is your best place for questions.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The Viking Age Begins, Part 1: Introduction (769-783)

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=21914

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

A few notes on maximizing the various focus events.

---

Business:

You can totally just steal the ship. The priests won't like it if you bring them along, but the hell with them.

You can also totally bring the priests, and get the bonus cash, and still succeed. When they start making trouble with your business partner, take the business partner's side (this is easier with high Diplomacy or Learning). It won't hurt your profits.

Seduction:

Also, you're better off not taking lovers. Just spam Vidi, Vici, Veni until that person gets pregnant, and then move on to the next. Advantages to this are faster impregnation (there's a higher chance of immediate pregnancy off a one-night stand than becoming lovers), choosing when to stop having sex with that person (to avoid Lover's Pox), and a much higher chance of leveling up your Seduction (for Intrigue bonuses, some character modifiers like Court Tomcat, and bigger Attraction opinion boosts from character modifiers).

There's also an event you can get where you can introduce a Quick Attractive courtier (Strong Attractive if character is female), which can be a great way to breed congenital traits into your dynasty very early. This event fires more if you're having chain one-night stands rather than taking lovers.

Then, in Year 5 of seduction focus, take a shitload of lovers before switching to business.

---

Also, a quick reminder that as a tribal you can have an arbitrarily-huge army as long as you never stop warring. It slows down reformation to feudal/republican by cutting into your cash income, but Volkerball could be the de facto emperor of Scandinavia by now if he wanted. There's a school of thought (that I haven't tested) which says the quickest way to reform is snowball up a massive tribal army, wait for the viking age, and then flip your soldiers over to raiding (while maintaining a little war on the side) and assault-siege the world.

Sorites fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 26, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sorites posted:

A few notes on maximizing the various focus events.

---

Business:

You can totally just steal the ship. The priests won't like it if you bring them along, but the hell with them.

You can also totally bring the priests, and get the bonus cash, and still succeed. When they start making trouble with your business partner, take the business partner's side (this is easier with high Diplomacy or Learning). It won't hurt your profits.

Seduction:

Also, you're better off not taking lovers. Just spam Vidi, Vici, Veni until that person gets pregnant, and then move on to the next. Advantages to this are faster impregnation (there's a higher chance of immediate pregnancy off a one-night stand than becoming lovers), choosing when to stop having sex with that person (to avoid Lover's Pox), and a much higher chance of leveling up your Seduction (for Intrigue bonuses, some character modifiers like Court Tomcat, and bigger Attraction opinion boosts from character modifiers).

There's also an event you can get where you can introduce a Quick Attractive courtier (Strong Attractive if character is female), which can be a great way to breed congenital traits into your dynasty very early. This event fires more if you're having chain one-night stands rather than taking lovers.

Then, in Year 5 of seduction focus, take a shitload of lovers before switching to business.

---

Also, a quick reminder that as a tribal you can have an arbitrarily-huge army as long as you never stop warring. It slows down reformation to feudal/republican by cutting into your cash income, but Volkerball could be the de facto emperor of Scandinavia by now if he wanted. There's a school of thought (that I haven't tested) which says the quickest way to reform is snowball up a massive tribal army, wait for the viking age, and then flip your soldiers over to raiding (while maintaining a little war on the side) and assault-siege the world.

If you steal the ship, there's a chance your thieves fail, and the event ends. If you have the money it's best to just buy the ship for insurance. As far as bringing the priests, they only offered 5 gold, so it's inconsequential. It may vary how much they offer depending on how much income you are bringing in already, but I wasn't worried about it. Although, that's the first time I haven't brought them, and the first time the event glitched out and never finished. So I'll probably bring them every time from now on out of superstition.

As far as seduction, I've never gone more than a couple years without having a son while in the process of getting lovers. Those 5 concubines I had, I made three of them my lovers and didn't even get to finish seducing the other 2 before I already had an heir. It's silly how many children you have regardless. I've never seen the quick attractive event, but that is definitely helpful. Also, you can right click on your lover to "break up" with them at any time, so it works no differently than veni vidi vici except there's less hands on maintenance.

As far as spamming tribal armies, I know about that that method, but it's not a black and white "always do this" kind of thing, and it doesn't fit our current situation. I'm not going to elaborate on it now, but I have experience with that in the steppe and in Scandinavia, so I'm planning on starting off part 2 with a long note about prestige and its use as a currency. Assault raiding with tribal armies just sounds like a big waste of prestige and unit maintenance when I can build a perfectly useful, maintenance free raiding army out of vassal levies and retinues.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 26, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The Viking Age Begins: Part 2: More like Skjoldumb (783-791)

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=21928

I've got a decision to make at the end of this one I'd like to get some input on. I can either move my capital outside of Scandinavia, or move to Denmark, depending on what I choose to do in part 3. Which do you guys think would be better from a tutorial standpoint?

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

quote:

Just keep in mind the economics of it, as that post doesn't mention it, and that guy seems to magically have enough money to form titles despite his only income being his 1 gold a month as a tribal, and what he sieges from tribal holdings while operating at a -15 a month loss.

Sometimes I keep a war running in the background, then go over and assault-raid every feudal realm along my borders. It's harder to do in Scandinavia because everyone nearby is tribal, but for the purposes of that mini-tutorial I was robbing my southern Muslim neighbours blind every couple of years.

Off the top of my head, adapting the event-troop strategy to a Scandinavian start would probably have me unite the empire, then start assault-raiding in Frisia and Saxony until the viking age. Then I'd march along the coast with boats following me in the sea, spamming assault raids, while a smaller follow-up unit did county conquests in the raided and beaten-down counties I was leaving behind in order to lengthen the land border for more simultaneous non-boat raids. This would also increase my surface area, so I'd have a longer border with more raid targets.

Ideally I'd have four groups: Large Coastal Raid Group, Small Coastal Conquest Group, Large Inland Raid Group, and Small Inland Conquest Group. I'd be stealing money and snagging land in two directions at the same time.

Once I reformed the Germanic faith I'd switch to Holy Wars instead of Conquests, but otherwise just do basically the same thing (with a Great Holy War peppered in every decade).

Sorites fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 27, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sorites posted:

Sometimes I keep a war running in the background, then go over and assault-raid every feudal realm along my borders. It's harder to do in Scandinavia because everyone nearby is tribal, but for the purposes of that mini-tutorial I was robbing my southern Muslim neighbours blind every couple of years.

Off the top of my head, adapting the event-troop strategy to a Scandinavian start would probably have me unite the empire, then start assault-raiding in Frisia and Saxony until the viking age. Then I'd march along the coast with boats following me in the sea, spamming assault raids, while a smaller follow-up unit did county conquests in the raided and beaten-down counties I was leaving behind in order to lengthen the land border for simultaneous non-boat raids. This would also increase my surface area, so I'd have a longer border with more raid targets.

Once I reformed the Germanic faith I'd switch to Holy Wars, but otherwise do basically the same thing.

Ha. I didn't even realize it was you who did that mini-tutorial or I would have just asked you. You'd probably be best off using your lifetime pagan subjugation on Saxony, or starting there. It has a lot of feudal borders. Then you could county conquest into France right away. You should go back and edit that tutorial with how you manage your raids and still make a profit, because money would be a huge issue, and I linked to that post in my tutorial. Anyways, that would probably work, but I don't think that sounds like a game that would be fun for more than 100 years or so, because everyone is super weak at the CM start and you'd just be painting the map on an expoit. Would probably be a really fun 100 years though. Curious, did you ever get into serious debt? If so, did any tribal armies disband? . Either way, the entire purpose of this tutorial, aside from tribal mechanics, is about raiding over the long term, whether you form a merchant republic or adopt feudalism. Those are the types of games I'd be more interested in playing until 1453.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

I don't remember my funds rating going below 0. If it did then it must have been super early on, because all event troops disband at once if you have Lack of Funds happen to you and that would've set me back unforgettably.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sorites posted:

I don't remember my funds rating going below 0. If it did then it must have been super early on, because all event troops disband at once if you have Lack of Funds happen to you and that would've set me back unforgettably.

Ah drat, well that's what I was wondering. If you could just go into debt with no worries, you could really get stupid with it.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Volkerball posted:

Although, that's the first time I haven't brought them, and the first time the event glitched out and never finished. So I'll probably bring them every time from now on out of superstition.

I don't think it's superstition. The first two or three times I got that event I didn't take the priests and it glitched out every time until I took them and it worked. Have taken them every time since and never had it glitch again.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Just finished reading all of CapnAndy's playthrough. Good show I must say! Can't imagine the work and effort: that went into it all.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
In my current Scandy run I found putting down a conquest on an Irish county and raiding in a big loop up there pretty lucrative. The tribal holdings are basically paper and then you get the temples, which give great loot:siege time ratios. Also England/Wales exploded spectacularly so I grabbed some counties and do the same there. At least until my assholes, I mean vassals, went and ruined the game reserve. Now that I'm a big boy republic I just raid my next target.

I also snagged an Italian province from a break away and used that as a base to alternate between Rome and Venice. Both are nice because you won't get jumped by anyone hen you leave your raiders unattended.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
Is there any good way to expand with the Old Gods Venice start? I"m boxed in by the Byzantines and an Italy controlled by Karlings who call in the rest of Europe if they are ever at war.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Anonononomous posted:

Is there any good way to expand with the Old Gods Venice start? I"m boxed in by the Byzantines and an Italy controlled by Karlings who call in the rest of Europe if they are ever at war.

Any early republic start has basically the same advice, which is to wait for a while building trade posts and increasing your holdings, which will be creating a massive gold income that lets you buy tens of thousands of mercenaries at the drop of a hat. 867 Venice specifically, during this time you want to jump on any opportunity to pick up a holding or province or two, like when your close enemies are already in wars or have rebellions going on, or if some count or duke gets independent out of nowhere. It's Crusader Kings, if you wait long enough somebody will collapse and give you an opening.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Or you can pull the Standard Coastal Power Express Gambit and immediately start fabricating claims on the single-county bums in Ireland. Better yet, now that Ireland's tribal early on you can even turn it into a nation of mayors right off the bat.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Anonononomous posted:

Swear fealty, expand from within.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

WilliamAnderson posted:

Swear fealty, expand from within.

I ended up being able to forge a claim in Hungary and from that launching point holy warred my way to the Carpathian and Wendish empires with an Anatolian colony from a crusade. I don't think it's going to be possible to break into western Europe, though. The Karling clan still runs nearly everything and forging claims is really expensive now and I can't use marriage as a republic. I think I'm just going to keep taking lovely northeastern territories for now.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Anonononomous posted:

I ended up being able to forge a claim in Hungary and from that launching point holy warred my way to the Carpathian and Wendish empires with an Anatolian colony from a crusade. I don't think it's going to be possible to break into western Europe, though. The Karling clan still runs nearly everything and forging claims is really expensive now and I can't use marriage as a republic. I think I'm just going to keep taking lovely northeastern territories for now.

Have your heir educated by an altaic tengri ruler and invade those bitches. :getin: Alternatively, you can play college of cardinals roulette and bribe popes to give you claims. I don't know if it's been patched, but it used to be stupid easy to get the pope to give you claims to duchy after duchy if you had money.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Intrigue focus + kidnapping seems to solve all my problems, lately, so start factions, kidnap [top ruler of choice], and start blackmailing the bugger.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

Volkerball posted:

Have your heir educated by an altaic tengri ruler and invade those bitches. :getin: Alternatively, you can play college of cardinals roulette and bribe popes to give you claims. I don't know if it's been patched, but it used to be stupid easy to get the pope to give you claims to duchy after duchy if you had money.

Do I have to do something special to get claims? I don't think I saw that option in the dialogue menu with the pope.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Anonononomous posted:

Do I have to do something special to get claims? I don't think I saw that option in the dialogue menu with the pope.

You must select the duchy (the overview where it shows the counties in a duchy, and where you can toggle between de jure and de facto). There is a button to request claims from this screen.

Edit: I mean this screen:

Instead of the "destroy" button, there is a "claim" button that you can use to request claims from the pope.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 4, 2015

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
OK. Now I can see that the pope will deny all claim attempts. Is there any way to make him dislike people? I already bribe and butter him up with my chaplain, but he still won't give me any claims.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Anonononomous posted:

OK. Now I can see that the pope will deny all claim attempts. Is there any way to make him dislike people? I already bribe and butter him up with my chaplain, but he still won't give me any claims.

It's difficult. If somebody has enough traits the pope likes, you won't get him to give you claims. You should look around which duchies you might want and look for rulers with negative traits. You can also look at their heirs and try to assassinate enough that some lustful, cynical hedonist with little piety inherits, and then ask the pope for a claim.

You can also search the character finder for rulers with the excommunicated trait, the pope most likely dislikes them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Dear OP,

You forgot to put in CapnAndy's Catholics Part LXXXVIII: Blood on the sands located here:

It was the last one he did however :(

• Locked thread