Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Merauder posted:

So has anyone tried playing with the new ultra-broken combo that exists since the latest patch? Here's a hint if you don't know about it yet: the deck/combo requires no legendaries and can win before rank 2!

Herald of Destruction got buffed to hit players as well as creatures when he triggers, coupled with Uterran buffs like Lysian Shard and then using Phytobombs to deal insane damage to the dome. It's stupid, and surely will be patched out in some fashion next update, so "enjoy" it while you can!

It doesn't say that on the card, does it just hurt the players as well as the creatures? How would Phytobombs help you? When you throw them out, it kills them and hurts the enemy? I'm not spoilering that, cause tactics are not plot devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

AxeManiac posted:

It doesn't say that on the card, does it just hurt the players as well as the creatures? How would Phytobombs help you? When you throw them out, it kills them and hurts the enemy? I'm not spoilering that, cause tactics are not plot devices.

Yeah, it deals the damage to the creatures and the player; Phytobomb is basically a big nuke.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Oh man, I just tried that, it totally works.

Well, looks like I won't be playing any online constructed until they fix that

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Yeah, it's super oppressive since Herald is really tough to remove at all levels, so it's kind of just one of those "guess I just take it" situations that leads to majorly negative experiences.

Still going to use it in the random queue while I can. But I'll feel bad about it.
A little.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM MAN!!!!!!

It is pretty over powered, wonder if it was just a straight up code mistake or they designed it that way and forgot to update the text. Maybe if it was limited to cards the player plays, but Herald is such a good card when it meets that niche that making it even stronger would be bonkers.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Which text are you talking about? Herald was updated in his text wasn't he?

e: Yeah it's on his card that it hits both. I do wonder what their approach to fix this will be. I all but guarantee that it will be akin to what you said, make it say "When a creature enters play under your opponents control on their turn, if it didn't enter from their hand, Herald deals damage equal to his attack to that creature and its controller."

Merauder fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 6, 2015

J
Jun 10, 2001

Yeah, adding an "on their turn" clause would be a pretty solid fix. Hopefully they fix it pretty soon because that combo is loving stupid and unfun to play or play against. Also :lol: at that red text, board games are serious business.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Haha yeah, they're pretty militant/territorial over in board game land. Watch out!

And yeah, they'll need to fix it asap. Hopefully they don't wait a month+ until the next major patch to do so. It's not unstoppable, but when the draws work out (or if you have those extra legendaries like Wyvern, the new Elemental, etc to make it even more potent), it is as I said before really tough to interact with for the power level it's at, which is a bad, bad thing for a TCG.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Have any of you guys seen this yet?

http://www.solforgeladder.com/

It's actually a neat way to find games as well as trades. You can also set up "teams", so I took the liberty of starting a group for us, as well.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Oh hey a free constructed coupon, this will be fun.

::plays 4 rounds against nothing but legendary poo poo decks::

:fuckoff:

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

AxeManiac posted:

Oh hey a free constructed coupon, this will be fun.

::plays 4 rounds against nothing but legendary poo poo decks::

:fuckoff:

Yeah constructed is garbage but there's no reason to not use some insane legendary deck if you have it.

Draft and regular random queue are pretty fun, you run into weird combinations. This game is incredibly frustrating though, I have to take breaks because I get so angry when it gives me a hand full of level ones and my opponent can't stop dropping threes.

Are we the only ones playing this still??

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
I finally stopped playing this game altogether, not even doing dailies vs. the AI anymore. It seemed like the card design direction was set on a course that would never be as appealing to me as sets 1 and 2. It's a shame - there are aspects of the game that I think are great, and they have some really creative, innovative mechanical ideas. Not to mention I'm out $50 or so.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I've been playing a bit less, but it ebbs and flows for me based on when they release new content. Lately their major change to the draft structure was kind of off-putting as well, but eh, I mostly just play random queue games when I'm bored anyway.

Speaking of legendaries (ala Axe's post above), anyone have any they want to do some trading sharing with? Especially if you're not playing anymore. :heysexy:

I have all of these available to a good home, by set:
code:
Abraxas, Avatar of Kadras	2
Arcflight Squadron		1
Call the Lightning		2
Doomwing Dire Drake		1
Drix, the Mindwelder		3
Flameblade Champion		1
Ghox, Metamind Paragon		1
Hinterland Watchman		1
Kas Arcweaver			1
Keeper of the Damned		3
Oreian Warwalker		3
Rageborn Hellion		1
Synapsis Oracle			3
Talisin, Bard of Abundance	3
Uterra Packmaster		1
Woebringer			2
Zimus the Undying		1
Zyx, Storm Herald	 	2
-----------------------------------------------
Binben, Lightning Herald	1
Cindersmoke Wyvern		1
Delpha, Chronosculptor		3
Solstice Reveler		2
Steelscale Dragon		3
Varna's Pact			4
Iron Maiden			1
Nefrax, the Soulweaver		2
Ambriel Archangel		1
Draconic Echoes			1
Immortal Echoes			1
Iniog, Carrion Demon		1
And here's a list of what I still "need" (strong word in some cases; lol Soul Drinker) across all sets:
code:
Call the Lightning		1
Leafkin Progenitor		1
Rageborn Hellion		1
Scourgeflame Sorcerer		1
Shardplate Mutant		1
Soul Drinker			3
Woebringer			1
Agamemnon			1
Binben, Lightning Herald	2
Everflame Mystic		3
Glaceus, Tundra Tyrant		3
Mimicwurm			3
Nethershriek			2
Palladium Simulacrum		3
Scatterspore Eidolon		3
Shallow Grave			2
Uterradon Ridgeback		3
Vyric Ebonskull			3
Yuru, the Necrosage		3
Dozer, the Dormant		2
Frostmane Dragon		2
Nefrax, the Soulweaver		1
Nexus Aeronaut			1
Suruzal, Emissary of Varna	2
Brimstone Tyrant		1
Bron, Wild Tamer		2
Lug, Uranti Charger		3
Nova, Grove Queen		3
Scythe of Chiron		1
Soulreap			1
Tarsus Necrolord		2
Ancestral Echoes		2
Draconic Echoes			2
Immortal Echoes			1
Lucid Echoes			2
Shardplate Behemoth		1
Spiritstone Sentry		1

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I play, but it's rare, card games in general make me angry. I get tired of seeing the same decks day in and day out. I do like the draft structure though, in that you can do two newbie drafts a week for free, so that's pretty cool.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Darth Windu posted:

Yeah constructed is garbage but there's no reason to not use some insane legendary deck if you have it.

Draft and regular random queue are pretty fun, you run into weird combinations. This game is incredibly frustrating though, I have to take breaks because I get so angry when it gives me a hand full of level ones and my opponent can't stop dropping threes.

Are we the only ones playing this still??

I was sitting on a mountain of event tickets and started playing the draft. I really enjoy that, and keep logging in enough to keep drafting. It is the only part of the game I feel is fair and fun. I usually never have to wait for a player either.

Also I got some good news, the game is doing financially well and they plan on revamping the PC version with new UI, PC controls and interface. It should be neat, they haven't given up on it and think there is some room to grow still.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Here's an article with a spoiler and a mockup of what the new UI will look like. The new "set" release this month is only 4 cards and some of them will supposedly be made available by new missions, which are unlockable with silver or gold. No prices given yet. They're also scheduling the full release of the game for this fall, which I'm guessing will coincide with the new UI. They brought in a new team of engineers to get the codebase rebuilt on one unified platform. Also they're working on an in-game ladder inspired by the solforgeladder.com one.

I still play occasionally, but not as much as I used to. I really like most of the card designs they do but they always seem to have 1 or 2 cards in each set release that are way out of line and never seem to get toned down like they should. Wegu jumps to mind, which irritates me because it is a cool design that can be toned down while still keeping the intent of the card.

Also the general lag and unresponsiveness of the client is absurdly bad, hopefully when they revamp the codebase they will drastically improve this. No reason it should take as long as it does in between turns. If they can fix the stability and responsiveness of the client, they could also add a turn timer, which would definitely make me play more.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

J posted:

Wegu jumps to mind, which irritates me because it is a cool design that can be toned down while still keeping the intent of the card.

I loving hate Wegu. Hate it so goddamn much.:argh: There's basically no good counter to it that doesn't also leave your deck weak vs pretty much everything else. I don't even like using it myself because it's such a bullshit card. Hell, just dropping the "and can't get defender" bit from the card would make it infinitely easier to deal with while still remaining a good card.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
I was liking missions until I ran face-first into the Demara one, which is complete bullshit. Drafts are still the best way to get cards I'm missing, since event tickets are basically free -- even if you just draft and quit, that's still 30 cards and 3 booster packs. The random queue is still fun for me, the bullshit level isn't nearly as high as constructed tournaments.

Lately I've been having a lot of fun with Alloyin powerleveling -- a big pile of things like Metasight/Technosmith/Oracle, delaying moves like Sap/Sonic Pulse/Metatransfer (which both levels and depowers), and whatever you can stuff in there that is 'meh' before level 3 and fantastic at L3. Sandbag and powerlevel for 8 turns, then crush. For at least half of the first 8 turns, I'm leveling every single card in my hand, and by the time I get to level 3, the only L1 cards in the deck are the ones that didn't get drawn -- and I've got L3 Oracles by then to handle that. Surges and Torrents work very well with this approach, especially since Energy Surge gets you more (free action) Surges and Torrents to cast.

Works particularly well with Uterra, since there's an Esperian version of Technomancer that deploys (and thus levels something in your hand) twice when allied:Uterra, and since I own a Talisin, Bard of Abundance, a Gauntlets of Sulgrim, and a Lash of Demara, all of which are fantastic at L3, it's a very good fit. If I had a Chrogias it'd be in there. Still, you could easily Tempys it up with the various dragons/phoenices, which also benefit greatly from leveling.

palecur fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 14, 2015

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

I'm really happy with how the game focuses on Tribals - Dinosaurs, Zombies, Metaminds, Robots, Abominations, Plants and Spirit Wanderers to a lesser degree (and now dragons!). That, plus there are enough choices that you can make several variations of a single tribal deck; there isn't just one best version (Abominations are the most obvious in this case to me).

I do hope they really expand on Spirit Wanderers though - a legendary would be a great addition. Same with dragons; weaker commons or something to flesh it out.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
The two new campaigns they just added are basically beat this match and get a legendary, but for some reason they cost like 100,000 silver. Hope they don't keep that as normal, having crazy hard missions for free was fun!

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I think the only reason they made these ones pay-to-unlock was because they're the first ones to offer brand new legendaries as rewards, and they're allegedly the final missions to this initial campaign story. I imagine once they have a new story to tell they'll return to periodic free ones and maybe do something like these again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

AxeManiac posted:

The two new campaigns they just added are basically beat this match and get a legendary, but for some reason they cost like 100,000 silver. Hope they don't keep that as normal, having crazy hard missions for free was fun!

It's basically the Heartstone pricing model. Can't be that bad an idea.

• Locked thread