Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

XP: 5; Conditions: Robbed; Harm: 1; DARKEST SELF

"What?" Why would she think I'm dead? I only lost my phone for a few hours...

I check the door and make sure Dabrowsky and Emmet get out of earshot.

"I think it's that girl you punched last night. I ran into her and she stole my phone." I keep my voice low, just in case. "I'm in my mother's boyfriend's house. Can you pick me up? There's more weird stuff going on with him. Him and that Emmet Lowe kid."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."
Chloe Caraway; 1 XP; 1 Harm; 4 Dark Power Strings; Conditions: Drained

Cigarette in one hand, phone wedged to my face with my shoulder, I swing into the driver's seat of my car and start the engine. gently caress cellphone driving bylaws: like the pigs are going to loving lift a finger when they have real crimes to investigate for once. "Well, there's someone else to beat the hit out of later," I growl into the phone. "I'm on my way; you'll just have to give me directions." I hit the accelerator, and peel away at only slightly above the speed limit.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bella, Denise pulls out her phone. She thumbs through a half-dozen or so. "Blurry, blurry, plausible explanation, blurry, plausible explanation. They scrubbed anything useful." She looks up at you. "I need to find out what happened. I need proof of what happened." She gets up. "I'm raiding your fridge. Do you have a spare notebook?"

That was a couple hours ago. Last you saw, Denise was simultaneously researching stuff on her phone and writing notes down. While you were out of the room, you heard her phone ring. Now she's gone along with her stuff. She didn't even tell you she was going out. What do you do?

Melanie, what do you plan on doing with Chloe once you two meet up? How do your mother and/or her boyfriend complicate your plan to leave?

Chloe, you pull up at the place Melanie directed you to. There's a bit of a scene going on just outside the front door. What do you do?

Emmet, Dabrowsky looks at you. "What do you want? A membership roster? It doesn't work that way. You weren't supposed to know. Not yet, maybe not ever. You're... young." He looks like he was going to say something else. Your master looks at you impassively as Dabrowsky speaks. Like a statue. He stands up and reaches out to take you by the hand. A rush of air as your surroundings blur. You're walking through the forest with him. His face is still impassive. He opens his lips soundlessly. "The stories- " Then your gaze is ripped away from him as you're tackled to the ground. A voice in your ear. "You just made this incredibly fuckin' easy. I thought I'd have to kidnap you or something. I'd be suspicious if I cared about this dumb poo poo at all." You know that voice. "You're coming with me. Are we doing this the easy way or the hard way?" It's Richard. What do you do? Do you know that he is the wolf? I am not sure.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

XP: 4, Adv: +1 Hot | Harm: 0 | Conditions: | Location: Doctor's apartment, study

I open my mouth to speak, to shout, to yell at the doctor for not telling me about this--about my birth, about my Master, everything!--but something keeps me from speaking. My Master takes my hand, and in doing so it feels like he places it over my mouth, gently, but still. I vaguely feel my body get up and walk out, distantly hear the doctor call out "Emmet, Emmet!" but why--

Ungh!

The vague feeling of lightness in my body is suddenly replaced by the dirt and wetness of the forest floor. Somebody is lying on top of me. It would be a nice feeling if his voice was not so harsh and demanding. "Easy way or hard way," he asks me. Did I hear that in a movie once? Do I want to be dragged off...?

"The second."

No, Richard, you don't get to take Emmet away so easily! The Hard Way! (Lash Out Physically): 2d6+1 7 Trade harm for harm! And I can't remember, is Volatile a highlighted stat?

He might be stronger than I, but I know how to punch things...!

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

When I step outside of the condo, I hear my mother and Dabrowsky screaming outside. They say that Emmet just went up and left all of a sudden. Just as Dabrosky was talking to him. Mother trying to assure him that there's nothing to worry about, kids are kids, whatever. The Doctor is trying to narrow down where he might have gone.

And he looks at me, with those same dead eyes as before, almost demanding me to help him out.

"Mother's right, he probably just had an appointment or something." I say. Inside, I kinda hope that he's thinking on what just happened to them earlier. But Dabrowsky still doesn't let me leave so easily.

Chloe's just over there...

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"Hey, Mel," I say, louder than I need to, slamming the car door behind me as I climb out. I approach as casually as I can, one hand shoved into my jacket pocket, the other one holding onto my cigarette. I very pointedly ignore the old fucker staring her down, actually stopping so that I'm pretty much between the two of them. I take a drag on the cigarette. "You ready to take off?" I ask, gesturing to my car, left idling on the side of the road. I'm doing my best to just act like there's no one else aside from me and Melanie, like he's beneath my notice. That could change pretty quickly if he tries to make anything of it, though -- I'm really not in the loving mood for any further bullshit this morning.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

XP: 2+1 | Harm: 0 | Adv: 1

With Bella gone, I finally have some time to prepare for the meeting with Francis. While I'm not really scared of him, I'm pretty sure he'll have taken his flunkies with him to ambush me, and I won't be able to count on Emmet to save me now when they lay into me. On the other hand, we're in a public place, so it's not like they can beat me up in the middle of Starbucks. But as far as protecting myself goes... I'm not really a gun person, but I can't start hexing folks left and right in the middle of the day. Doing it to Harold was fine, 'cause he's just one person and we were in a moving truck. So the question is, what do I do?

I sit there for a while, laying my options out, but one by one I'm forced to shoot them down. I don't have the power - or knowledge - to make a subtle warding charm, and I can't prepare the place ahead of time with a ritual. I can't take anybody with me, because this is personal, and I forego the use of casting a curse on Francis because that wouldn't stop him. If anything, it would just make him more convinced of the truth. Goddess, this is frustrating.

...wait. That's it. I can't cast a spell, but I might be able to ask for guidance. It can't be that hard, right? Draw a sigil, place an offering... if the higher powers are in a decent mood, maybe they'll help me out. Okay, so it's not really something I've done before, but hey, what could go wrong?

So I move up to my room and take my bowl, inscribed with symbols along the edge. With a bit of marker I connect them, to complete the circle. For the offering I choose one of my old stuffed animals, and I light a few candles to help the mood along. Animal sacrifice is a thing, right? So maybe I can't give them blood and guts, but it's the intent that matters.

"Ever-wise Crone," I intone, slowly and carefully, "your humble servant brings you this offering. Ever vigilant Luna, your humble servant brings you this offering. I call upon you for guidance, and knowledge. I call upon you to protect myself against those who would do me harm. I call upon you to show me the way to dissuade Francis Viglione from pursuing my secrets. I call upon you to keep me safe, and to make me see."

Gaze into the Abyss for 2d6+2=9.
- The visions are clear and detailed, but leave you drained.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Emmet, the two of you scuffle for a moment, a short, ugly exchange. Your elbow catches him in the gut, and he slows down long enough for you to slide out. You hurt. He doesn't look particularly happy either. He stretches out and cracks his shoulders, then winces. "You haven't seen the loving hard way yet. One last chance..." What do you do?

Melanie, the doctor gives Chloe an irritated, suspicious glance; but then he gets caught up with his argument with your mother again. Act natural and he might be too busy to even really question why you're leaving. On the other hand, Emmet taking off like that is awfully strange, at least in these circumstances. Is asking what's going on worth the trouble?

Bella, your candles gutter out as you finish speaking. Suddenly, you feel like this isn't the first time you've seen this play out. You can't break script, though. Your old toy begins to sag, to fall apart. You can't move. One of the candles is still burning. The air smells like burning. You can't tear your eyes from the bowl. A bony hand reaches in from outside your rapidly tunneling vision, lifts the toy. Its counterpart slashes it open with an athame (one of your mother's?), letting sawdust spill out. It plucks a termite from within as the toy falls. "See this pest? Knowledge is such. Sometimes, you cannot deal with it without damaging the bearer." The termite falls, and is skewered mid-air by the razor point of the ritual knife. "It's not as though this town is not without such damage already..." Your vision narrows to a single point. You feel a jolt. You slowly realize you're lying on the floor. You still smell the burning scent, but the air is clearer down here. The candle is still burning. You don't remember taking out the athame, but it's clenched in your hand. What do you do?

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

No, not really. They're worrying over nothing. Emmet's fine.

I look at him and her together, and I don't want to stay here any longer.

"Take me somewhere else." I say to Chloe, not able to look at straight in the eye either. I don't know what to think about her. But she's my only way out of here.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

XP: 4, Adv: +1 Hot | Harm: 1 | Conditions: | Location: Forest?

"Ungh!" I throw myself off of the dirt and shove Richard and I back upright--I am stronger than I look, after all! Even him splitting my sleeve open by scratching my arm will not keep me down.

What else is it that the people in the movies do...oh, banter!

"You could not wait to get me alone, then, Dick?" I try to smirk as equality is restored. I do not believe it looks intimidating, but it only needs to sound intimidating, right? "You look nice, but I never thought of you THAT way!" We both know I am gay, right? "Wanted to see more of me than you could in the locker room!?"

I want to do more than just trade punches, so let's trade verbal blows too. Insinuate Richard's GAAAAAY! (Shut Someone Down): 2d6 8 Let's see...place the condition..."Blind Rage"? Also should we rehighlight, if we can't remember which stats are highlighted?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sure. Let's change up highlights in the OOC thread.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"Sure thing," I say. She's acting pretty weird and distant compared to last night, but who am I to loving judge -- I wasn't exactly cool with my mother or the rear end in a top hat she was sleeping with, apparently. I lead the way to my car, expecting Melanie to follow. "That's the arson-stuff in the back," I tell her conversationally once she's inside and the car's started up. "I was on my way to use it earlier when poo poo started to get weird. But you know, what else is loving knew around here?"

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

XP: 3 | Harm: 0 | Adv: 1 | Condition: Drained

Thanks for nothing.

That's the first thought that comes into my mind. Then I reconsider, because sassing higher powers is a good way to get yourself a smiting. Forcing myself to unclench my fist holding the athame slowly, I'm surprised at how much effort it costs. And I feel woozy when I get up. Wow, okay, not expected. Not ideal, either. How the hell am I going to face Francis when I'm dizzy and sluggish? Ugh. Great idea, Bella.

But whatever. It's done, now, and I can't get anythin back from it. My eye keeps being drawn to the athame. I know I shouldn't. I'm not a fighter. And an athame is not a fighting weapon to begin with. But...what if he decides to come for me anyway? I have to have something. I get up to blow out the candle and tuck the athame into my pocket. The weight seems entirely too heavy, but I ignore it as I head downstairs to make myself a drink and grab a snack - I realize that I'm starving, which is weird; did the ritual really take that much out of me? It shouldn't have. But no time to think about it now, I guess.

After getting myself a little bit of food, anyway, I head out. I don't feel much better, but it's about 3 by now, and I want to get there early so that Francis can't set some stupid trap for me.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Emmet, Richard's eyes pop out. "You...!" He charges and tackles you into the ground. "You shut the gently caress up! You have no loving idea what kind of day I've had!" His voice has dropped an octave into something deeper, more gravelly. He catches your arm in a lock and pins you against the earth with his weight. His face is just inches away from yours. His teeth look sharper than you remember. You can feel the heat of his breath as he hisses "Don't gently caress with me. I'm letting you get off easy this time." He takes a deep breath. He flexes his lock momentarily and the joints of your arm shriek in pain. "If you don't agree to come with me, I'll break your arm for real and then I'll drag you with me by it. Do you understand?" He tightens his lock again. Perhaps more than he meant to. Something clicks and explodes into pain, leaving you seeing stars. What do you do?

Take 1 harm and the condition Injured Arm

Bella, Starbucks is nearly empty. The barista looks bored, and somebody's fairly obviously hanging out for the wi-fi. The clock ticks on the wall. Francis doesn't show up until a quarter after. He hastily shoves his hand back deep into his jacket pocket after coming through the door. In a low voice, he says "So, finally ready to talk, huh?" What do you do?

Chloe, the lovely house Richard's squatting in isn't too difficult to find. There's nobody around that you can see... Wait, no, there's somebody watching the place. It's not Richard, or anybody you remember him ever hanging out with. They seem pretty intent on surveilling it. What do you do?

Melanie, have you ever been around this part of town before?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

XP: 4+1 (for earlier Volatile) -> 0, Adv: +1 Hot, 1 unused | Harm: 1+1 | Conditions: Injured Arm | Location: Forest?

Yes, it worked! I must have touched a...a nerve! Biology is coming back to oh no oh no what now wait--

"GAAAAH!" My arm! What did he do to my arm?! What is this?! This is not like bleeding clay dust and water of life, this is...aaaaargh...I cannot keep fighting like this. I cannot even ball up my fist anymore without my arm tensing up!

"Get...OFF!"

I can no longer fight him, I must attempt flight! Get back to the apartment, or at least away from him! With my good arm, I attempt to push off Richard enough to slip away...his grip is strong, but it is trembling. I hope my words shook him enough to unsteady his grip!

Okay, screw this, time to run and process the new and interesting experience of "having your arm broken". Run away! Oh, and tapping the Blind Rage condition, if I can.
Get off! (Run Away, Volatile): 2d6+1 3
...crap.

He...I...no...

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I doubt it's actually downright broken. Certainly don't intend it to be.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Yeah, well Emmet wouldn't know that, would he? :v: All he knows is in the movies, when someone's arm gets held like that and it pops, it's broken.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

I took the time to get myself a nice frappucino, and a piece of carrot cake. Might as well get cozy, right? So when Francis comes in, I'm lazily taking a bite of the cake, trying not to show how much the sluggishness is bothering me. "Talk?" I drawl - not on purpose, but I like the way it sounds, anyway. "Well, I suppose we should talk, shouldn't we? Francis, Francis, Francis..." With a slow sigh, I recline in the chair, slurping through the straw of my frappucino. Don't let him see that I got nothing. Just bluff, Bella. Just bluff. "Why don't you tell me what you think you know, first, and we can go from there?"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Yeah, things have been loving up a lot since..." Last night? What happened last night? I just remember Chloe trying to tear down Richard a new leaf? And I guess she owes me to burn his house down. But... ugh, my head.

"...yeah, you know." Have I been here before? I never had a reason to cross this part of town. Far as I can see, it's your average small-town American slum. With werewolves attached, I guess. I look at the stranger lurking around. "Who's that guy?"

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"... Hell if I know," I mutter. It's a good thing we're not trying to burn down his house, at least. Considering the witnesses. But if they're friends of his or whatever, I want to know now and not when they come to the rear end in a top hat's rescue. "With my luck lately, they'll be loving trouble, though. Sit tight, I'll be back in a minute."

I get out of the car, looking around at the strangers grouped around the trailer like white-trash sentries. "Hey!" I shout to the nearest one, "Is Dick in there? Me and him have got some things to talk about."

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bella, Francis sits down, his hands jammed into his pockets. "I've seen you do things, seen things around you, things that have to be supernatural. If there's more to the world than what I grew up being told about, I want to know. I want to..." His voice trails off. "I'm not here to hear myself talk though. I want to know how you do what you do to people. I want to know what lets you do impossible things, why it's possible." His eyes look feverishly bright as he looks to you for an answer. What do you do?

Chloe, they look like they're trying to keep a low profile; they flinch and most of them melt away as you yell. The closest one changes his mind before he duplicates his friends' vanishing act. "Not that I know of! Now gently caress off, he's ours!" What do you do?

Emmet, the pain is intense. Possibly the worst thing you've ever experienced (though a little voice in your head disagrees); bad enough that you pass out. When you wake up, you're slung over Richard's shoulder. Your wrists are duct-taped. You can't see your legs (or really anything other than Richard's butt and the ground), but judging by feel your ankles are too. Richard starts talking as you stir, continuing that long easy stride. "It's nothing personal. I don't want to loving hurt you anymore than I have to, so behave yourself. This is a lovely enough day as it is without having to break your skinny rear end in two." What do you do?

Melanie, you notice somebody else is still watching, much farther out. You can't quite be sure from this distance, but... is that Mia?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

XP: 0, Adv: +1 Hot, 1 unused | Harm: 2 | Conditions: Injured Arm | Location: Forest?

Ungh...aagh...my body...what did he do to my body? It takes a long time, but I begin to feel movement. And it is not my body doing the moving. It takes some effort, but I open my eyes and watch Richard's rear--I mean, I watch the ground! And my wrists--the doctor was not kidding when he said the roll of duct tape he had in the apartment was strong stuff! No amount of twisting my wrists--or going by feel, my ankles--will get me out of this. And twisting his arm will just get mine broken. Maybe twisting my words...?

"Richard," I mumble as I try to twist to look at his head. "Richard. Hey. Look, I...I apologize about earlier. I want to..." I lick my lips unconsciously. "I guess I just want to ask...if you did not want to do this, who is making you? I have seen you work, you are..." another lick "...strong, powerful, so why are you doing this menial work? Turned a wolf into a dog?"

Since Richard is an NPC now, I can Manipulate him to tell me about his new boss, right? Manipulating Richard (+Hot): 2d6 6...okay, no.

...maybe the dog comparison was bad, because now he just looks angry!

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Is that Mia?"

I grit my teeth. Really not the loving time. And I can guess what she wants.

I huddle in the car, making sure to lock the doors. Chloe's still outside, but with the window open she can well hear me gripe. Mia's not just going to come in and start poo poo while she's around. Right?

Mitama fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 30, 2014

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"Hey, man, I'm not interested in your loving boyfriend, you can have him," I say, the sick burn somewhat less effective without the recipients apparently being in earshot. Wait, Mia? gently caress.

I whirl around, finding who Melanie is looking at. "... Mia? gently caress," I say. I remember then, that Mia is also on my poo poo list, for being the one to punch Mel for no reason in the first place. So this is probably more convenient than anything. "You got a loving problem, Chang?" I shout at her.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

What the hell is wrong with him? He looks like he's about to burst. "Francis..." I start slowly, quietly. No sense in yelling at him - I don't want miss bored barista to overhear what we have to say. "I don't care what you think you've seen, or what you want. Your pal Harold attacked me! He would have beaten me to within an inch of my life if somebody else hadn't saved me. Is that how you go about trying to learn things? Beating it into submission?" My head is pounding, now, and so's my heart. I'm getting angry. Why am I so angry?

"Ever since you have gotten to the conclusion that I know something you don't, you've been hounding me non-stop. You send your friends to bully me and beat on me. You come to my house. And for what? What could you want so much that you're breaking my life into pieces and don't even care?" I jab a finger into his chest and glare at him. I don't think I've ever been so angry in my life... or at least not without a scapegoat for it right in front of me.

"This ends right the gently caress now, Francis. You go away. You stop hassling me. Read a loving book if you want to know whatever it is you want to know. But you stop harassing me, or I will get a restraining order or...or something!" Only when I come down from my rant do I realize I'm breathing like I just ran a marathon. Wow. Anger feels great.

Shut Down Francis at 2d6+1=11. I'll take a string on him.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chloe, Mia stiffens, and looks like she's going to try slip away. Then she retorts "I don't know, Caraway. You seem to have a Hell of a problem on your hands already!" What? What do you do?

Melanie, one of the pack (why does that word come to mind so easily?) slips next to the car while Chloe's occupied, taps on the window quietly. Not that it makes it any less startling. "You scared, girlie? Hiding away from the big, bad boys? Why so spooked?" What do you do?

Emmet, Richard says "gently caress, what does it matter at this point? That Chang bitch has me by the balls, her and whatever is at that pond. I deliver you, she lets me g- Oh gently caress me." You can hear Melanie's girlfriend yelling in the distance, beyond the trees. "I thought the party was supposed to be last night." He dumps you off his shoulder and starts tearing away the tape. "I'm not going out there. Not with all of them. You're going to walk out there and find Mia and tell her I've done my part. Or else..." He's looming over you rather... intimidatingly. Yes, that was the word you were looking for. What do you do?

Bella, Francis whitens. "You have no right. Whatever you're hoarding-" and then he looks over your shoulder and sees something that makes him back out of his chair. A girl is approaching you from behind; she's got a split lip. "I smell him on you. Where's the fag? I have a score to settle with him." Then she kicks your chair out from underneath you. Rude. What do you do?"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"gently caress you." I don't have time for her, either. "I don't know where that werewolf guy is and I don't care. Go away!"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

XP: 0+1, Adv: +1 Hot, 1 unused | Harm: 2 | Conditions: Injured Arm | Location: Forest?

"Chang bitch?" I echo half coherently. "Mia...Mia!" I remember Mia! We were fighting at the party last night! Last night...last night feels so long ago. "Why does she have you by the, ah...? AH!"

I am not quite certain which hurts more, the landing on the earth or the tearing of the tape. I can hear someone yelling...wait, that is not Mia, that is...Chloe? How many are out there? I struggle to my feet as Richard gives me orders...while still towering over me. why could my master have not made me stronger?! Then I could strike him down like that!

"I...alright. I will tell her." With some difficulty, I walk over to the edge of the tree line, steady myself on a branch...and then I take off running. "Hey Mia!" I shout as I move not bothering to actually look for her. "Richard says he is done right now! He is hiding in the trees there!"

Richard asked me to "Find Mia, tell her he was finished." He did not say "Find Mia, tell her he was finished, and then come back"! So there is nothing saying I should not run right now! Although I am looking over my shoulder for Richard to pursue me instead of ahead to watch where I am going...

Emmet is very good at obeying orders. Just make sure they're good orders! Fleeing Richard! (+Volatile, Run Away): 2d6+1 7 I'm assuming this marks a new scene, so I'll take an xp for that. Let's...run into something worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Chloe Caraway; 1 XP; 1 Harm; 5 Dark Power Strings; Conditions: Drained

"What the gently caress is that supposed to mean?" I snap. "If you're going to keep loving following me like the world's most obvious loving stalker, then I want to know what the hell you're problem is! I know about my problems!" The cigarette in my fingers -- mostly depleted now -- seems to heat up slightly. Smoke curls up my arm, the wind carrying it coincidentally near my ear. Nothing that's going to scream something hosed up is happening if you don't know what you're looking for.

Giving my fifth string(!) to the Poisoner to use Uncanny Voices on Mia and hopefully get some kind of idea what he deal is:
Uncanny Voices
You can give the dark power a String in order to realize a secret about someone you’re talking to. The owner of that character will reveal one of their secret fears, secret desires, or secret strengths (they choose.)

Darkest Self again!

I can see one of the wolves talking to Melanie. I should probably do something about that, but like... I can only handle so loving much at once. poo poo -- no one ever told me having a hot Asian girlfriend was going to be this much loving work.

• Locked thread