Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Quiet Feet posted:

Ages ago but I'm suddenly reminded of the time I was making garlic mashed potatoes and accidently used four bulbs of garlic instead of four cloves.

My friends little brother wanted to make hummus so we gave him a recipe and the ingredients. We came back to him having made the same mistake and put every bulb of garlic in the house in it. It was so strong it was like being tear gassed. We saved part of it to add to future hummus and had to scrap the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Quiet Feet posted:

Ages ago but I'm suddenly reminded of the time I was making garlic mashed potatoes and accidently used four bulbs of garlic instead of four cloves.

Substituting bulb for clove is actually the correct way to use anyone else's recipe

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Turns out 1 cup of pasta and 1 pound of pasta are not the same. Misread the recipe, never seen pasta measured in volume before. This is supposed to be soup.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Xerol posted:

Turns out 1 cup of pasta and 1 pound of pasta are not the same. Misread the recipe, never seen pasta measured in volume before. This is supposed to be soup.

still looks delicious tbh

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

still looks delicious tbh

It is/was, but I'm now concerned about how it's going to refrigerate/freeze as the pasta continues to absorb liquid.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

pasta absorbs the flavour

i attempted to make cabbage rolls for the first time today and i really undercooked the cabbage. these are SO fibrous
for once i've created a food that is improved by microwave

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Xerol posted:

It is/was, but I'm now concerned about how it's going to refrigerate/freeze as the pasta continues to absorb liquid.
1 cup of pasta in 4 cups of broth will absorb much more / be grosser than 1 lb of pasta in 4 cups of broth

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Xerol posted:

Pour out the liquid into a container, set up another pot with a roux, and turn the soup into a pasta sauce for later

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

I don't usually cook with cheese but last night at the behest of my partner I made habanero poppers without ever having eaten or bothering to look up what a jalapeno popper actually is. I cut the hab tops off, scooped parmesan and queso blanco in, and stuck them in the broiler with pork chops.

As far as I'm concerned they were pretty bad but the real cockup happened when i let my partner eat all of them and had to send me out in a storm for tums

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
I have a seasoning blend I use when making fajitas & quesadillas. Cumin, cayenne, chilis, onion & garlic powders. I usually make a batch, use what I need and store the rest for later. One time my stored spices were not sealed properly during a humid time of year and got some serious clumps going. I could have still used it as it but I wanted that normal texture. So if something is humid, just dry out the moisture and it will unclump yeah? The microwave heats things up so it should do the trick right? 1 minute should be all it takes, yeah? Also this is a great time to dip out of the kitchen for a few minutes and get something from my car.

Come back 5 minutes later and my eyes stop working. I can't stop coughing. Turns out I have pretty much pepper sprayed my kitchen with burnt cayenne powder. It dissipated pretty quickly once I got the windows open and vent fan on, but not before I treated every person in the house to the real live riot experience. Man that smell permeated the kitchen for weeks.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Chair In A Basket posted:

Come back 5 minutes later and my eyes stop working. I can't stop coughing. Turns out I have pretty much pepper sprayed my kitchen with burnt cayenne powder. It dissipated pretty quickly once I got the windows open and vent fan on, but not before I treated every person in the house to the real live riot experience. Man that smell permeated the kitchen for weeks.

Oh man, you only make that mistake once.

I bought some powdered Pocari Sweat once as a "just in case I get covid and can't go buy Gatorade" backup. It was so good I ended up buying a bulk pack on Amazon, but the problem is that it clumps super easily, even in a sealed container. I ended up buying a bunch of those little silica packs and I think I'll end up using them for some of my clumpier seasoning mixes too (I'm looking at you, Penzey's Sunny Paris).

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I was making a lemon garlic vinaigrette to toss roasted broccoli with last night, and when I turned to put the grater in the sink I slapped the bowl off the counter and covered the kitchen with it. Then while I was cleaning that up, I burned the broccoli.

Good thing I also burned the breaded chicken I was making. :(

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Read about ya'll swapping paprika/chili powder for cayenne, and my brain decided to get in on the action today.

At least it was soup... :negative:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

catgirlgenius posted:

i just wasted a whole bunch of irish butter, some egg whites, and loads of sugar trying to follow this one cake recipe's instructions for a meringue buttercream. it was pretty poorly written honestly, and it tasted like marshmellow syrup, bleh.

at least i did manage to ace the triple decker chocolate cake with homemade blackberry jam and ganache. loving hate making cakes, still.

anybody got an icing recipe that's on the subtle side and takes food coloring well?

From a page back, but is this the icing where you beat egg whites, add hot sugar to cook it, then add butter a little at a time? First time I made it it broke and I didn't realize thats normal and you just have to keep on beating it (but not add any more butter).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also a narrowly avoided cooking cockup recently. My fiancé, who primarily makes southwest/Mexican/mediterranean dishes was making miso soup for the first time. She's not that familiar with the Asian ingredients I keep around, so fortunately she brought me the shaker of togarashi and asked me if it was dashi powder. Four teaspoon of togarashi versus four teaspoons of dashi powder would have definitely changed the character the miso soup.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
You've hard of pepsi pot roast? Well, I didn't have pot roast, but I did have (cubed) chicken. What's the big deal?

I've never had any chicken dish turn out that awful :(

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I forgot to flour the cutting board where I was proofing my pizza dough. One of the crusts stuck and tore when I tried to take it off and made a super hosed up looking pizza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I bet you still ate it happily