Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Moronic Farce posted:

Do they? They got evidence of it's existence but I didn't see anything to suggest they had recovered any formulas for remaking it.
I seem to recall that if you kill Cynthia she drops a codex that's basically the blueprint for the plague.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
How do you screw up "cold"? Some scientist.

Anyway, I would like to see Nilfgaard from the inside one of these days. Is that happening in the next game?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Glazius posted:

How do you screw up "cold"? Some scientist.

Anyway, I would like to see Nilfgaard from the inside one of these days. Is that happening in the next game?
All signs point to yes, actually.

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013

Glazius posted:

Trailers show Geralt getting an audience with Emperor White Flame Dancing on Barrows of Enemies himself, actually (and he'll be voiced by Charles Dance :swoon:)

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Been a while...

Episode 31 (Iorveth):

Finally looking for Phillipa. Actually a few other ways to do it as well.

VivaVizer fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 15, 2014

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.
Radovid is such a piece of poo poo. His entire motivation for what he does to Phillipa is just so staggeringly petty. He's still not as a bad as Henselt, but that really isn't much of an achievement. Basically what I'm saying here is that I'm rooting for Nilfgaard in Witcher 3.

Also, I'm not really a fan of his VA - He's putting on the accent a bit thick in some scens. I'm kind of surprised he doesn't wander around Loc Muinne with a whippet and a flat cap asking where the nearest pie shop is.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Her shackles are dimeritium metal. In the witcherverse, contact with this metal basically short-circuits a mage's ability to work magic.

In the Witcher 1, Triss has you give Alvin an amulet made of it to help control his wild magic use. It just serves to show how powerful he really is (he was a "Source"--basically a magic prodigy) that it only slows him down a bit.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 17, 2014

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Radovid really seems like a paranoid brat with an inferiority complex. Philippa is no saint but it just seems rather extreme no matter what.

Episode 32 (Iorveth):

Dragon fight again. Goes very differently this time.

VivaVizer fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 17, 2014

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Something I was curious about but you never said: what path do you prefer ViaVizer? Siding with Iorveth or Roache? Saving Triss or the other girl?

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

OAquinas posted:

Her shackles are dimeritium metal. In the witcherverse, contact with this metal basically short-circuits a mage's ability to work magic.

I did not know this. I just presumed it was some enchantment.

I think at least part of Radovid's resentment stems from the fact that Phillipa is a woman - a regency during a royal minority is standard practice and no description of Phillipa's actions during Radovid's minority make it seem like she acted in a way that was out of the ordinary for someone in her position. He'd probably resent anybody in a position of power over him, but I think his hatred for Phillipa is more complex than that.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
@SgtSteel91

That's pretty tough to decide.

For the prologue and Chapter 1, I'd definitely spare La Vallete and kill Loredo. Pretty straight-forward there.

On Roche's side, I'd go with "let Henselt die" and "rescue Triss". It undercuts Nilfgaard, denies Henselt triumph, saves the mages, and Radovid doesn't really get anything. Sure, Temeria is broken apart but Roche does save Anais so there is a chance for a future Temeria with Roche has an important adviser. I think the North massacring it's magic population is just a huge mistake.

On Iorveth's side, I'd go with "rescue Phillipa/cure Saskia". Sure, the mages are hosed but I just really like the idea of a truly free Vergan governed by Saskia. I think that would be a huge warning message to all the monarchs.

Only issue is whether it is better for Stennis to live or die. Dude is a oval office but he does allow Aedirn to stay pretty strong instead of conquered. On the other hand, maybe have the idiot peasants kill the prince will send a message to the other monarchs. I'm sure Saskia after being cured can keep them in line.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Saskia is great. I wish we'd seen more of her.

It seemed pretty obvious to me Geralt was basically asking "Iorveth is crazy in love with you, are you going to keep stringing him along or what?" there. And then...dwarves.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

VivaVizer posted:

@SgtSteel91

That's pretty tough to decide.

For the prologue and Chapter 1, I'd definitely spare La Vallete and kill Loredo. Pretty straight-forward there.

On Roche's side, I'd go with "let Henselt die" and "rescue Triss". It undercuts Nilfgaard, denies Henselt triumph, saves the mages, and Radovid doesn't really get anything. Sure, Temeria is broken apart but Roche does save Anais so there is a chance for a future Temeria with Roche has an important adviser. I think the North massacring it's magic population is just a huge mistake.

On Iorveth's side, I'd go with "rescue Phillipa/cure Saskia". Sure, the mages are hosed but I just really like the idea of a truly free Vergan governed by Saskia. I think that would be a huge warning message to all the monarchs.

Only issue is whether it is better for Stennis to live or die. Dude is a oval office but he does allow Aedirn to stay pretty strong instead of conquered. On the other hand, maybe have the idiot peasants kill the prince will send a message to the other monarchs. I'm sure Saskia after being cured can keep them in line.

I'd pretty much agree with this (especially as Anais is saved by Roche regardless, I thought she'd get screwed over if you abandoned her).

Roche's path was the one I saw first but I prefer the outcomes of Iorveth's for sure (and Iorveth's cause is a lot more sympathetic).

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Well, dragons and dwarves both like mountains and gold...

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

My choices one each path were pretty much the same as yours Vizer - the only thing I did differently is that I didn't kill Loredo siding with Iorveth.

I did Roche's path first, but much prefer Iorveth's side, mostly because you end up feeling like you did some real significant good helping Vergen and Saskia.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Wagrid posted:

My choices one each path were pretty much the same as yours Vizer - the only thing I did differently is that I didn't kill Loredo siding with Iorveth.
It seems to me that saving the elf women is the more thematic choice there. Anyone can kill Loredo for being a shithead. But someone who saves a bunch of elves out of the goodness of their heart? Maybe that guy's not so bad.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
My issue with saving the elven women is that it shouldn't even be a choice.

If Iorveth is going to ever act, it should have been there against the two guards and three peasants. It wouldn't have been hard and really kind of what he stands for imo.

Anyway...

Episode 33 (Iorveth):

End of Iorveth's story. Going to do a few bonus videos and then we are done.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

JT Jag posted:

It seems to me that saving the elf women is the more thematic choice there. Anyone can kill Loredo for being a shithead. But someone who saves a bunch of elves out of the goodness of their heart? Maybe that guy's not so bad.

Yeah, I agree with that. Part of what I enjoyed about this game is that you can actually play Geralt really heroically, which was a pleasant surprise considering I was expecting it to be all misery and cynicism all the time.

I also agree with Vizer about how it shouldn't really be a choice, however. It kind of feels like it's a choice for the sake of having a choice there, more than anything. It's really superfluous considering you literally just made the Roche/Iorveth choice, which is probably the most important in the game. It would have made more sense to have Geralt go after Loredo whilst Iorveth and the Scoia'tael rescue the elven women.

Besides, surely Flotsam ends up as part of Kaedwen regardless of whether or not you kill Loredo on Iorveth's path? If it doesn't then that's kind of a plot hole.

Wagrid fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 18, 2014

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Wagrid posted:

Yeah, I agree with that. Part of what I enjoyed about this game is that you can actually play Geralt really heroically, which was a pleasant surprise considering I was expecting it to be all misery and cynicism all the time.

I also agree with Vizer about how it shouldn't really be a choice, however. It kind of feels like it's a choice for the sake of having a choice there, more than anything. It's really superfluous considering you literally just made the Roche/Iorveth choice, which is probably the most important in the game. It would have made more sense to have Geralt go after Loredo whilst Iorveth and the Scoia'tael rescue the elven women.

Besides, surely Flotsam ends up as part of Kaedwen regardless of whether or not you kill Loredo on Iorveth's path? If it doesn't then that's kind of a plot hole.

Well, Flotsam becoming a military outpost might be a boon in TW3. We'll see. There are a LOT of very disparate outcomes to TW2, so it'll be interesting to see how 3 handles imports and how much of an impact it will have on the game's narrative.

Also, this video just reinforced just how much of a dick/how little Radovid thought of the Council restoration: he brought witch-hunting fanatics and dimeritium chains, and the moment things looked like they'd go slightly sideways he took advantage to declare a pogrom on mages in the city (and indeed, basically everywhere). Talk about your bad guests...

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
For me, I really enjoyed the buddy cop turned revenge aspect of Roche's story. Like a medieval "24 Hours", cutting a bloody swathe through anything keeping Roche from saving his country. It was a much more personal story in the midst of a changing world. While I found Iorveth to be more of an rear end in a top hat with nothing to offer but murder, I can see the appeal of diving into both the past and future of the setting.

Plus, I had a giggle both making this and seeing it displayed in the LP vid.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Well, it was very cute that looked like it could have been a crayon drawing by a kid.

Anyway, Bonus video 4:
Killing Guards and Finding Phillipa

VivaVizer fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 20, 2014

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Dealings with Cynthia

One more video idea left. Will do rescuing Triss on Iorveth's side.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Loose Ends

Closing a few loose ends. But definitely the last video... probably.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Thanks for all the videos, I really liked them.

One question: what are the consequences of letting the mob lynch Prince Stennis?

And one tip: You use the word "anyways" quite a lot.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

DTurtle posted:

Thanks for all the videos, I really liked them.

One question: what are the consequences of letting the mob lynch Prince Stennis?

And one tip: You use the word "anyways" quite a lot.

If the mob gets Stennis, Henselt eats Aedirn. Literally; he's a fat bastard.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Thanks for this LP, VivaVizer. I always heard how good this game was and now I know what's going on in 3.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Thanks for a great LP, VivaVizer! Shame the thread didn't go gold, because this was a really solid playthrough of the game.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
@DTurtle

More or less what OAquinas said.

As for "Anyway", I do notice I use it a lot but I can't think of any good alternative. It is like my goto word for transitioning to something different. Second is regardless which I do use sometimes as well.

Any suggestions?

Anyway, I liked doing this LP. Learned a lot more about the game than when I just played it for fun. Glad everyone liked it as well. Sorry about the delays though.

Not sure how the gold thread thing works. Is that just voting?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's weird that a free dragon doesn't slow anything down, but I suppose she did have to recover.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Thanks for the LP Vizer. I wasn't really interested in the series after playing some of Witcher 1 and hating it, but after watching the first half of this LP I ended up playing the whole of Witcher 2 in about two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Still catching up on this LP and loving it so far. I know I'm late to the party, but one thing I noticed during the removing the curse part was that old king Henselt really takes the whole being a king thing very seriously.

The man wears a castle for a belt!

Close up:

It even has little windows :allears:

• Locked thread