Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Somehow I've gone close to a year without noticing this thread and holy poo poo it's glorious. That paint scheme and all the handwork you've put into it so far is amazing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
What color is that red? I'm actually getting close to having mine ready for paint. Using Tornado Red for mine.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

PhoenixWing posted:

Put some sound deadening on the floors as well to keep it nice and quiet when it's finally on the road.

Being a massive NVH :spergin: you probably didn't need that much coverage with the foil-backed damper. But what is your absorber/foam layer? It looks like household underlay to me but I can't quite figure out what it is.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Brought it home today

veedubfreak posted:

What color is that red? I'm actually getting close to having mine ready for paint. Using Tornado Red for mine.

Hyundai's "Venetian Red". Saw it at a car dealership and thought it looked great

Cancelbot posted:

Being a massive NVH :spergin: you probably didn't need that much coverage with the foil-backed damper. But what is your absorber/foam layer? It looks like household underlay to me but I can't quite figure out what it is.

It's 1/2" carpet underlay/padding. Nothing too fancy, just to keep it warm if it gets cold and keep the noise down

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Wow, that looks cool in the light of day. That grey is so deep. I can't wait to see it all thrown together.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Car looks great, loved reading up on your progress. I really like the fabric you used in the interior as well, did you make the pieces yourself?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Fuckin A that's nice, congrats! The last step of my project will be to strip and paint like that, and seeing that makes it hard to wait.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
Those are some nice color combos.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Picked up the last of the pieces from the shop

Then started on the headliner

dreesemonkey posted:

Car looks great, loved reading up on your progress. I really like the fabric you used in the interior as well, did you make the pieces yourself?

The majority of the interior fabric was bought as a kit from Sewfine which covers the headliner & seats. We made a few custom things with some of the extra material, and the rest was bought from local fabric stores and cut to fit.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm not a huge VAG fan, but I love your restoration. Keep up the good work.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I know exactly jack poo poo about putting in a new headliner. How is it all attached? Glued?

Looks so good, you're doing a superb job.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Glued and tucked and crimped and bows. It's crazy.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Installed the interior light

Was looking at the ride height, might lower it just a tad more.

Installed the front vents

Glovebox

Speedo

Dash!

Mounted the brake reservoir in it's original spot again

Installed the decklid

Then installed the thermostatic flaps

Installed the first rear light

Mounted the other fenders and bumpers

Installed the front and rear glass

And then popouts on the side

Started getting everything in place for wiring it back up again

Fishing the new harness through

Reverse light switch

Got the lights workings :woop:

Need to fix the left side bulb on the speedo.

Pretty much everything electrical works at this point. Ordered the carpeting kit, and should be installing that as soon as it arrives.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I hate those Grant wheels but everything else is pitch perfect. What about a Momo Monte Carlo?

Those thermostatic flaps are probably the coolest thing I've seen today.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 24, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Pop out windows :flashfap:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Those thermostatic flaps are probably the coolest thing I've seen today.

Yeah, holy poo poo I never knew those existed. Such a simple solution.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I love how simple these cars are, it makes me feel like I could even work on one. One of my favorite projects for sure.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Still rolling along with this project. Finally ordered the engine today, should be here in 4-5 weeks. 2110CC, with about 140BHP. Should make for a fun ride

Finished the interior:

Installed the running boards

And installed the final bits of the heating system

Need to order the door panels at one point. Only bit on the inside I haven't finished. Should be on the road again by early January-February.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I suddenly don't feel so bad about my wiring. Still clean as gently caress, though.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
The car is beautiful but man that wiring! Are you going to do anything to tidy that up?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Just wanted to say this is an amazing project! Great job!

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

everdave posted:

The car is beautiful but man that wiring! Are you going to do anything to tidy that up?

I didn't think it was that bad really. Tidied it a bit, but, a big cover and carpeting kit is going up front to hide all of that.

PhoenixWing fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 23, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Jesus gently caress. I never thought I could be intimidated by an aircooled Beetle motor before.

How much power is that thing going to make now?

edit: Are those pushrod tubes in the second last picture? Where'd they go in the last one?

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Jesus gently caress. I never thought I could be intimidated by an aircooled Beetle motor before.

How much power is that thing going to make now?

edit: Are those pushrod tubes in the second last picture? Where'd they go in the last one?

Indeed they are, pictures ended up a bit out of order. Edited the correct picture at the end.

And, they believe it'll be 160HP at the crank, in a 1600lb car :getin: (It'll be dynoed, so, I'll have accurate figures then)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

PhoenixWing posted:

Indeed they are, pictures ended up a bit out of order. Edited the correct picture at the end.

And, they believe it'll be 160HP at the crank, in a 1600lb car :getin: (It'll be dynoed, so, I'll have accurate figures then)

The Beetle I had yeeeaaaaaaars ago had close to that. Except we didnt have the Superbug IRS like you do. Talk about handling via throttle!

This thing looks soooooo good.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Those are some BIG fuckin rods for such a weenie little motor. You running a blower and nitrous or something?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Are there cylinder tins that go on the bottom of the engine between the jugs and the pushrod tubes? My type 4 (914) had a lack of those because of dumb rear end PO and I had to pull the pushrod tubes to install them, under the car. This probably is not a type 4 though, huh?

Dual weber 40 IDFs? I had those on mine. The sound was so nice.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Powerhaus? You in Torrance?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Mind if I ask what the engine is costing you? And what the specs are?

Also, I still kind of feel bad that all this awesome effort is going into a super :(

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Raluek posted:

Those are some BIG fuckin rods for such a weenie little motor. You running a blower and nitrous or something?

No, but, you never know when you'll suddenly feel the urge to run a supercharger :colbert:

Taco Box posted:

Are there cylinder tins that go on the bottom of the engine between the jugs and the pushrod tubes? My type 4 (914) had a lack of those because of dumb rear end PO and I had to pull the pushrod tubes to install them, under the car. This probably is not a type 4 though, huh?

Dual weber 40 IDFs? I had those on mine. The sound was so nice.

The tins will be going on later along with the fan and such. It's a type 1 engine, so, will look like a normal beetle engine but with more shiny bits. And, they're 44 IDA's, just the tiniest bit bigger.

pfffffffffft posted:

Powerhaus? You in Torrance?

Sacramento area. I've just heard these guys produce some pretty badass engines and settled on them.

veedubfreak posted:

Mind if I ask what the engine is costing you? And what the specs are?

Also, I still kind of feel bad that all this awesome effort is going into a super :(

It's a '74 Standard beetle, not a Super. You could still order the standard beetle instead of a super all the way up to '77 in the US. Virtually identical to my '58 beyond the rear suspension, and minor body/lighting changes.

Specs:

quote:

2110CC
Weber 44 IDA
Scat C35 Cam
1.25 Ratio Rockers
Dual valve springs
Stainless valves
Chromoly rods
Petronix Ignition
30mm heavy duty oil pump
Deep sump
Forged crank
Forged lightweight flywheel

Bunch of other things listed on the order as well. Paid just over $7k for it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

PhoenixWing posted:

It's a '74 Standard beetle, not a Super. You could still order the standard beetle instead of a super all the way up to '77 in the US. Virtually identical to my '58 beyond the rear suspension, and minor body/lighting changes.
Bunch of other things listed on the order as well. Paid just over $7k for it.

Ah right its the other bug thread that's a super. Still, I just can't see spending the time and money you have on such a late model car.
Don't get me wrong, the car is awesome, just wish you'd have saved something older :(

The cost of the engine makes me sad, and also has me reconsidering if I want to continue with my project. Love my bugs, but air cooled parts are just out of control these days. Almost want to just get into ratrods, seems like it'd be a cheaper way to cruise.

Also, are you getting custom heads and aluminum case with that amount spent? Seems like 7k should cover all new parts and not have to deal with an old case and/or chinese junk parts.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

veedubfreak posted:

Ah right its the other bug thread that's a super. Still, I just can't see spending the time and money you have on such a late model car.
Don't get me wrong, the car is awesome, just wish you'd have saved something older :(

The cost of the engine makes me sad, and also has me reconsidering if I want to continue with my project. Love my bugs, but air cooled parts are just out of control these days. Almost want to just get into ratrods, seems like it'd be a cheaper way to cruise.

Also, are you getting custom heads and aluminum case with that amount spent? Seems like 7k should cover all new parts and not have to deal with an old case and/or chinese junk parts.

I've got the 58 bug which is my "old" car we saved. I rarely see any mid-late 70s beetles at any local shows or meets, yet, I regularly see lots of ovals, splits, and 58-67 beetles. I'm not sure if it's just due to smog killing all of these ones in California, but, they're almost nonexistant here, and I genuinely feel they're worth saving too. They're part of VW's history as much as the early ones, and, I'd honestly say they're in more need of saving than the early cars. Everyone buys early beetles, but, the newer ones just head to the crusher.

Literally everything on the engine is new, no previously used parts. And, this engine is probably a bit excessive. The '58 has a 1776CC which scoots quite well, and was $5.5K, and the bus has an ex-industrial motor that was rebuilt from spare parts for virtually nothing. I have no idea what the plan for your bug is, but, I can find non-running 36 horse motors for relatively cheap around here ($250-1000) and fix them for not too much more. Stock 1600s at the local store go for $1500 rebuilt or $3000 from new parts, which isn't really that bad. It's just the high-performance engines that are quite expensive.

Don't give up on your bug, 1958 was an awesome year for bugs, and I wouldn't trade mine for anything.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

PhoenixWing posted:

I've got the 58 bug which is my "old" car we saved. I rarely see any mid-late 70s beetles at any local shows or meets, yet, I regularly see lots of ovals, splits, and 58-67 beetles. I'm not sure if it's just due to smog killing all of these ones in California, but, they're almost nonexistant here, and I genuinely feel they're worth saving too. They're part of VW's history as much as the early ones, and, I'd honestly say they're in more need of saving than the early cars. Everyone buys early beetles, but, the newer ones just head to the crusher.

Literally everything on the engine is new, no previously used parts. And, this engine is probably a bit excessive. The '58 has a 1776CC which scoots quite well, and was $5.5K, and the bus has an ex-industrial motor that was rebuilt from spare parts for virtually nothing. I have no idea what the plan for your bug is, but, I can find non-running 36 horse motors for relatively cheap around here ($250-1000) and fix them for not too much more. Stock 1600s at the local store go for $1500 rebuilt or $3000 from new parts, which isn't really that bad. It's just the high-performance engines that are quite expensive.

Don't give up on your bug, 1958 was an awesome year for bugs, and I wouldn't trade mine for anything.

Ya, I'm just gonna go with my original plan of flat black and lots of money on gofast/airride instead. I still have the OG numbers matching 36hp but it's not going back in the car. I'm going to finish welding up the gaping holes in the heater channels and just paint the drat thing flat black and put it back together. Unless I can get my hands on a judson, then I might rebuild the 36 hp.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

So a really big box showed up

Put the flap control things on

Installed the oil cooler

And then crammed the engine in

After a bit of fiddling, it's now running great, and on the road again for the first time since 2012

50 miles on it!

Quick video of it headed up the street, not long after the engine went in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYXTPYvzzWY

Mission Success, AI!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think we need some in-car footage of that, but congratulations. We don't get as many project successes in here as we should (myself included...) :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Congratulations on attaching way too much power to way too little Bug! I'm extremely jealous.

When's the dyno?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That's a really nice colour combo, good to see it on the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Congratulations on attaching way too much power to way too little Bug! I'm extremely jealous.

When's the dyno?

No such thing.

• Locked thread