Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I think you'll be OK as long as you don't try to spend those novelty oversized pennies. As obvious as they are it can still be a lot of legal trouble to have fake currency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Does anyone have tips for preparing MDF terrain for painting with acrylics? It tends to look like poo poo after a basecoat. A thin layer of Modpodge perhaps?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

a7m2 posted:

Does anyone have tips for preparing MDF terrain for painting with acrylics? It tends to look like poo poo after a basecoat. A thin layer of Modpodge perhaps?

There is specific MDF undercoat paint at a DIY shop which will almost certainly do.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Death Ray Designs recommends Rust-o-leum Profesional Enamel flat paint to prime their MDF kits. I still need to paint what I've built to confirm that though

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Cthulu Carl posted:

Death Ray Designs recommends Rust-o-leum Profesional Enamel flat paint to prime their MDF kits. I still need to paint what I've built to confirm that though

I use Rustoleum 2X Painter's Touch spray paint to prime, works fine.

The important thing about priming MDF is to hit both sides, if you can, to prevent warping. Two coats is usually sufficient.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Modpodge or 1:1 water and PVA both work well for sealing, but I prefer the PVA for MDF because modpodge always leaves a texture for me.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

BlackIronHeart posted:

I use Rustoleum 2X Painter's Touch spray paint to prime, works fine.

The important thing about priming MDF is to hit both sides, if you can, to prevent warping. Two coats is usually sufficient.

This is my go to spray primer for pretty much everything. Highly recommend it

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Had a terrain project sitting around for months and getting back into it now that the weather is warmer and I can sand outside comfortably; first is a simple XPS plateau-style piece to test things out.

Took a sheet of foam and glued it on top of some hardboard, with bark chips for rocky protrusions and the edge being spackling.

Mixed some sand/grout/tiny rocks into the paints along with Mod Podge, but the only colors I had of craft paint were basic brown/grey/white/black, and the brown was on the reddish side. So it turned out weirdly flesh like.

Picked up some more yellow hued shades of tan and it did the trick more for what I was looking for.

Rocks got a quick grey coating, black wash, and grey/white drybrushing, and the rest had watered down glue dumped on it and flock sprinkled on.

Happy with it overall!

Next is making more that hopefully have a bit more visual interest, and of differing heights and shapes, but avoiding the weird look of everything being perfectly flat will be difficult, since I still want these to be functional gaming pieces after all.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

using some air drying clay and bits and bobs, im making some junkyards

Hello new Gaslands terrain!

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Just some pictures of my continually WIP overgrown city table. It's slowly getting closer to the image I've always had in my head, although there's still a large amount of objects in the pipeline. Largely put off roads in particular, but I've found throwing buildings down without them causes it to lack visual structure and verisimilitude, so throwing in the towel and starting on those once natural terrain features are finished.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Sojenus posted:

Just some pictures of my continually WIP overgrown city table. It's slowly getting closer to the image I've always had in my head, although there's still a large amount of objects in the pipeline. Largely put off roads in particular, but I've found throwing buildings down without them causes it to lack visual structure and verisimilitude, so throwing in the towel and starting on those once natural terrain features are finished.

sick af. nice job

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
God, profoundly jealous! That looks amazing! Is scratchbuilt or is there some premade stuff there?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Sojenus posted:

Had a terrain project sitting around for months and getting back into it now that the weather is warmer and I can sand outside comfortably; first is a simple XPS plateau-style piece to test things out.

Took a sheet of foam and glued it on top of some hardboard, with bark chips for rocky protrusions and the edge being spackling.

Mixed some sand/grout/tiny rocks into the paints along with Mod Podge, but the only colors I had of craft paint were basic brown/grey/white/black, and the brown was on the reddish side. So it turned out weirdly flesh like.

Picked up some more yellow hued shades of tan and it did the trick more for what I was looking for.

Rocks got a quick grey coating, black wash, and grey/white drybrushing, and the rest had watered down glue dumped on it and flock sprinkled on.

Happy with it overall!

Next is making more that hopefully have a bit more visual interest, and of differing heights and shapes, but avoiding the weird look of everything being perfectly flat will be difficult, since I still want these to be functional gaming pieces after all.

This is really nice and simple.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

spectralent posted:

Is scratchbuilt or is there some premade stuff there?

Hill/plateau/cliff/whatever features are scratch built, here's a shot of some mid-build:

Got a few more pieces currently in progress, but set up the table with what's ready at the moment to get an idea on how they look/feel so far.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Gonna make a few game boards for DBA / ADLG, 3x2' in size. What's the minimum thickness would be suggested to keep the wood from warping? 3/16" or 1/4"?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hello! I'm looking for some (preferably free) 3d printed terrain, WWII Europe preferred.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

iospace posted:

Hello! I'm looking for some (preferably free) 3d printed terrain, WWII Europe preferred.

Do you have a preferred scale? FDM or resin?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

StationForge, while not free, has a really good bunker/trench set that could be neat if you want to set up an assault on a weapon emplacement. 28mm scale.

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-grimguard-trench-terrain-357327

3D Breed has a really limited selection, but they have Pegasus Bridge, D-day stuff, and a French Farm Hosue in 15mm.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I mean if you're looking for WW2 terrain you have to start at the king: https://www.3dprintterrain.de

Pricey but buy one pack and you'll have many tables worth of options.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I finally painted up some FDM printed terrain I did about a year ago - it's not great but better than primer:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Do you have a preferred scale? FDM or resin?

Resin. 15mm scale but 28mm is fine because variety is good for 40k and similar.

Springfield Fatts posted:

I mean if you're looking for WW2 terrain you have to start at the king: https://www.3dprintterrain.de

Pricey but buy one pack and you'll have many tables worth of options.

You weren't joking on both fronts. Are these resin printer capable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Ehhh, you could but it would be a pain. FDM would be better.

Southern Heel posted:

I finally painted up some FDM printed terrain I did about a year ago - it's not great but better than primer:

These rock and I dig the retro vibe better than the busy mess that's all the rage now.