Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
My cat puked on my keyboard and I didn't feel like spending $10 on Amazon to buy a new one UNTIL NOW!

It (was) my birthday so I decided to get my poo poo together and drive my S14.

Alright, time for a new battery and mounting solution.

I borrowed a MIG welder to weld this fucker directly to the unibody of my S14.

Come out now, piece of poo poo. And now to attach the old ground cable so I can pack up and redo the wiring.

Welp. The old cable is too short. Time to improvise.

Nailed it.

Welcome to my luxurious car shop next to the dumpster outside of my apartment.

I didn't want to trim the cable to fit because I was in a hurry. Works great!!

What could go wrong?

No picture but the early S14s had a defect in the gas tank design and my factory gas tank cracked and dumped all my fuel out. Watched the sun set and people fish the pond at the track. Total track time with the new car: 10 minutes.

Bonus pictures of my knuckles after assembling stuff at work and my cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

http://www.courtesyparts.com/nissan..._name=fuel-tank

Oh boy, I sure am mad about buying an OEM gas tank. Something I certainly thought I would never do.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
How quickly did you lose the fuel? Did they have to clean it off the track, or did it just evaporate?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

FWIW, I've been to Courtesy dozens of times IRL. So long as you order online, they're usually great to deal with, especially for a dealer.

Their online prices are very reasonable for OEM. If you walk in off the street they range from "gently caress you, eat a bag of dicks" to "we'll price match our own website JUST THIS ONE TIME" when you ask why the part is so much more expensive than their website, but you don't have to deal with that. I've had them quote me $assrape$ for a part and refuse to match their own website.... so I walked out and ordered online for on-site pickup with my phone, then walked back in.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Sep 13, 2016

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

How quickly did you lose the fuel? Did they have to clean it off the track, or did it just evaporate?

Being in Florida I just drove my car over some grass and waited for the tank to puke it all out. It took about an hour. In retrospect I should have done a Mad Max-style move of collecting it all in a hub cap or something. I ordered a new tank tonight for just around $420 shipped. I'm getting a lot of the OEM wiring stripped out at my friends shop to function as a sort of demo car. I want to keep the stock KA a long as possible so now I'm on a mission to add lightness. I have some money saved up to do some upgrades but I'm still trying to put out fires on the car and see what breaks. Really hoping to start driving again soon as I'm paying $100 a month insurance on this car and it sure is a waste of money letting it sit. My WRX is still running great as I dip further in to the 200,000 mile mark. As soon as I finish clearing out my storage area at my parents' house I'm going to gut the rear of the interior so I can store my bike more easily in there.

In other news I hired a personal trainer now that my car accident injuries are healed and I'm about to get jakkked.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
That cat looks so loving smug.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I lived.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's crazy because everyone was literally supposed to die according to the media.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Applebees Appetizer posted:

That's crazy because everyone was literally supposed to die according to the media.

When faced with limitless stubbornness, only exaggerated hyperbole can produce the intended happy medium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Back to spending money on the S14. I went to start it this afternoon and the battery seemed dead. I have one set of jumper cables for the WRX but I bought a second pair to keep in the S14.

In case you forgot why I have to change my gas tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8KZKHdK4oE

So long subframe! This is actually really easy to do in S13/S14s in case you're wondering. Getting the tank lines reattached was the most time consuming part of the job.

Check out this cool bathroom I peed in.

Finished up just in time for a Halloween bike ride!

Then I ate tacos! Welp that's my update for now see ya!

Next time I'm redoing some wiring then going drifting again to break more poo poo.

• Locked thread