Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Another newsletter, another code to give away.

P8Y- CWUT-WT3-3WM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Cernunnos posted:

Another newsletter, another code to give away.

P8Y- CWUT-WT3-3WM

Thanks!

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Odd, I've received all of the other Pokemon codes, but this one seems to have skipped me.

Is it possible I need to set a different email setting for this set of codes?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Yeah, I haven't gotten anything recently, either, and I haven't changed my settings beyond registering Alpha Sapphire. Maybe it's a regional thing? No idea.

Baalfrog
Nov 14, 2012

Thats pretty neat.
Just checked my mail too, there was one mail from the 25th of January about Hoopa and whatnot, that mail had a code for one Phantom Gate booster. Also, a late thank you for all, who helped me set up that stupid newsletter.

Seems that there is a box for in the in-game shop for on sale for 3 Phantom Gate boosters (with 10 cards), a promo Shiftry and a stupid coin, for a whopping 570 tokens, sounds like the worst way you could spend those if you ask me.

Baalfrog fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 28, 2015

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

A single 10-card booster is 195, and the only actual 10-card one available is Legendary Treasures. There was discussion a while ago, iirc, of the 5-card one at 95 tokens being less good than the 10-card because the 10s have a guaranteed rare in there or something...? It costs exactly the same amount as 6 of the 5-card boosters, so...

Baalfrog
Nov 14, 2012

Thats pretty neat.

Raitzeno posted:

A single 10-card booster is 195, and the only actual 10-card one available is Legendary Treasures. There was discussion a while ago, iirc, of the 5-card one at 95 tokens being less good than the 10-card because the 10s have a guaranteed rare in there or something...? It costs exactly the same amount as 6 of the 5-card boosters, so...

Aah.. I see, might aswell start saving up for that then I guess.

So this just happened, I traded some Phantom Gate boosters from the trademarket thing, and when I went to open them, it says that they are being offered in a trade, so I can't open them. Whats up with that?

EDIT: Turns out logging in and out fixes that issue.

Baalfrog fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 30, 2015

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

So, there's another free-pack thing going around - if you sign up for some sweepstakes, you'll automatically get a free pack of Primal Clash by email. It takes a little while to appear, so don't panic if it doesn't show up right away.

If you use this referral link I probably get something, but I didn't really read much about the sweepstakes other than "free pack"

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Started playing a while ago and finally got enough Tokens to get a Theme Deck. Any suggestions on which Deck to pick up, or if there are any to just avoid?

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Volfogg posted:

Started playing a while ago and finally got enough Tokens to get a Theme Deck. Any suggestions on which Deck to pick up, or if there are any to just avoid?

So, I personally don't really like the theme decks too much, and I kind of recommend avoiding them all.

But Dark Hammer (fighting deck from furious fists) is pretty good - its probably the strongest theme deck I know.

Are you interested in playing it as a theme deck or breaking it down for cards?

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

The Hunter

Probably both. I enjoy using Rallying Cry in Theme Deck matches (love getting those 250 Damage Rounds), but would like something new to use there. But would, of course, like more cards to use in deck building once I start getting more and such.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Deck building wise, I do not find a lot of value in the theme decks other than in acquiring the staple trainers like Professor Sycamore (which, incidentally is one of the reasons I really recommend Dark Hammer, it has two of him in it).

I've also heard decent things about the fairy deck, but no matter which theme deck you're looking at, you're going to need to make a lot of changes before it's viable outside of the theme deck leagues.

If you're going to play in Theme Deck matches, definitely get Dark Hammer, and that will probably be your new deck. I haven't played a theme deck match since any of the newer decks came out, but just reviewing the decklists on bulbapedia, nothing even comes close to that one in having some sort of consistency.

Baalfrog
Nov 14, 2012

Thats pretty neat.

Volfogg posted:

Probably both. I enjoy using Rallying Cry in Theme Deck matches (love getting those 250 Damage Rounds), but would like something new to use there. But would, of course, like more cards to use in deck building once I start getting more and such.

If you don't mind investing some money, you can find really cheap booster codes from physical packs that people are selling on eBay.

So, I did some deck building again, and it is way superior to my old and gimmicky Aegislash thing from base XY. It is called Dialga and friends, and it does just that. This deck is for standard play.
2x Bronzor
2x Bronzong (Phantom Forces)
2x Cobalion EX
4x Dialga EX (Phantom Forces)
1x Jirachi EX
2x Keldeo EX

2x Battle Compressor
2x Evosoda
2x Hypnotoxic Laser
4x Switch
3x Colress
1x Lysandre's Trump Card
3x N
3x Professor Juniper
2x Xerosic
2x Steel Shelter
3x Hard Charm
2x Head Ringer
2x Jamming Net

4x Double Colorless energy
2x Shield Energy
10x Steel Energy

So, this is my variation of abusing Bronzong's metal links ability. It's quite simple on what it does, just get a bunch of energies to Cobalion or Dialga and go to town. Dialga is especially good, since Chrono wind has finally bee fixed and now properly locks opposing EX pokemon. Cobalion is there to take care of annoying things like Suicune, Pyroar and Sigilyph. And Keldeo is the go to guy to try and take care of fire decks that utterly decimate my other attacking pokemon. Also, what it does is some damage mitigation, with hard charms, shield energies and jamming net I can reduce incoming damage from opposing Pokemon EXs by a whopping 60, which is quite good. So, any thoughts or suggestions?

Baalfrog fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 19, 2015

Baalfrog
Nov 14, 2012

Thats pretty neat.
I dug around the statistics and there are a few things that caught my eye. There is a number called game points, which increases (at least, probably also decreases) when you play ranked. Does anyone know if this number is the actual ranking you have, and it is the thing used to match you with evenly skilled players? Also, what does the upset wins mean?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Thread's been dead for a while so I doubt anyone but me cares: the game removed daily login gifts entirely, replacing it with challenges. Basically, you'd get 15 coins or whatever they are called for logging in, plus 10 for playing a match -- now you get 25 for winning a match with an elemental deck. That's bad enough for new players who may not have decks with certain elements, but every five days you'd get a free booster which would help improving your deck(s), except now that too is entirely gone. Essentially this killed the F2P part and turned the game entirely into an online simulator for people who invest heavily on booster packs in real life and no one else, which is sad.

While the above in itself doesn't affect me much (I'll miss the free boosters), the daily login gifts were what kept me coming back to the game to occasionally play a couple of rounds. With them gone I haven't logged in in a week. Eventually, my interest for this as a gateway to dive deeper into the TCG will be gone and I imagine I won't be alone in that. I have no idea why they made such a radical, damaging change to the game, but that's their problem now.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Thread's been dead for a while so I doubt anyone but me cares: the game removed daily login gifts entirely, replacing it with challenges. Basically, you'd get 15 coins or whatever they are called for logging in, plus 10 for playing a match -- now you get 25 for winning a match with an elemental deck. That's bad enough for new players who may not have decks with certain elements, but every five days you'd get a free booster which would help improving your deck(s), except now that too is entirely gone. Essentially this killed the F2P part and turned the game entirely into an online simulator for people who invest heavily on booster packs in real life and no one else, which is sad.

While the above in itself doesn't affect me much (I'll miss the free boosters), the daily login gifts were what kept me coming back to the game to occasionally play a couple of rounds. With them gone I haven't logged in in a week. Eventually, my interest for this as a gateway to dive deeper into the TCG will be gone and I imagine I won't be alone in that. I have no idea why they made such a radical, damaging change to the game, but that's their problem now.

It's very much a 1 step forward, 2 steps back sort of thing. They've changed in the past few days so you can choose between 2 daily challenges, an easier one (usually 25 coins) or a harder one (50 coins or a half pack). The easier one usually just involve putting certain typed cards into play, or evolving x times. These can typically be done in trainer challenge so its not too bad and over all you DO get more coins I think. Which is good considering how expensive everything in the shop is. I also admit to liking the leveling system and getting the type-themed gameplay junk.

The problem is it is just tedious. It is always "Put 10-15 basics into play" or "Evolve 15 pokemon." And it gets worse when you do the "harder" challenges which typically need you to go into Random Battle mode, partly because now you're going against more skilled human players who can likely crush you while you try to evolve your [type] but also because the hard challenges tend to veer into "Defeat 15 pokemon with your [type]" which can take ages. This compounds on itself when you lack certain types; the game gives you Grass, Fire, Water, Psychic and some Fighting that you can use in Theme or Unlimited, but I've been playing for several months and STILL lack good dragons or steels (Not that I've seen any challenges for those as yet, but they're listed in the profile).

The other issue is as you said, the loss of the free booster pack. Now it's a half pack, you have to work for it and I don't think there's a set pattern for when those challenges appear. And, of course, you can not trade the contents of the pack. Because this game despises you trading for reasons I can not fathom.

On the bright side they've stopped giving a tournament ticket.

They make so many changes on a whim, though, so maybe they'll recognize the bad parts of this and change accordingly.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

rannum posted:

And, of course, you can not trade the contents of the pack. Because this game despises you trading for reasons I can not fathom.

That's because anything you get for free (except for Cards/Packs from the Mystery Box) is locked to your account. You can trade cards and packs you get from the Code Cards in the physical product.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Volfogg posted:

That's because anything you get for free (except for Cards/Packs from the Mystery Box) is locked to your account. You can trade cards and packs you get from the Code Cards in the physical product.

Right, but it seems so needlessly restrictive.Free players are mostly out of luck, period. But then players who buy the packs don't have access to the free people's growing horde of cards they don't want/need. I've had a few people want EX pokemon I had, for example, but whoops can't trade them.

Also they changed the Mystery Box freebies. If you get a loser wheel Mystery Box they're locked; that makes sense so you can't just spam the instant-lose decks and grind things up but still kind of a bummer.

I suppose I just have a chip on my shoulder about it since it's one of the more transparent F2P trappings. Least give the option to throw away locked cards for coins or something.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Honestly, I really like the new challenge system.

I like to try and make a jank little deck for each new challenge I get, especially the stupid ones that are about evolving or playing basics - its interesting to design decks that don't even attempt to win the game, but rather finish challenges as efficiently as possible.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
My goodness I didn't know online Pokemon TCG was a thing.

And I thought I played Hearthstone a lot, uh oh.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, I've slowly fallen off of this. drat shame, the daily reward things was a drat good idea for getting people to keep coming back. If it was too much, they could have just scaled it back to special half-boosters or something. Two commons, an uncommon, and a 50% chance of either an uncommon or a rare.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I decided to get into this after watching the Pokemon Nationals this weekend and holy moly, it's going to take a while to get a decent pool of cards.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I basically stopped playing after they removed daily rewards, the challenges are pretty dumb and you can't do them with any success in PVP, and the bot-games are seriously pointless. Sad, I had a really nice Reshiram/ReshiEX deck that I loved a lot but I just can't be assed to log in anymore.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

mistaya posted:

I basically stopped playing after they removed daily rewards, the challenges are pretty dumb and you can't do them with any success in PVP, and the bot-games are seriously pointless. Sad, I had a really nice Reshiram/ReshiEX deck that I loved a lot but I just can't be assed to log in anymore.

Same here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Raitzeno posted:

Same here.

Well, you guys do know that the daily rewards seem to be back, right? Not sure they are exactly the same, but login rewards are definitely a thing again.

• Locked thread