Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

zoux posted:

I don't think it was based on a comic book, exactly.

It was Not-The-X-Men, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

The Lord Bude posted:

That sounds awfully like you're saying that Arrow is a bad show, but not as bad as Smallville.

Arrow is an excellent show and not bad like Smallville. Reading it again, yeah it doesn't read very well. :saddowns:

Smallville I remember being okay in the first few seasons but the quality really dropped off quickly.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

dreffen posted:

Arrow is an excellent show and not bad like Smallville. Reading it again, yeah it doesn't read very well. :saddowns:

Smallville I remember being okay in the first few seasons but the quality really dropped off quickly.

Smallville was poo poo during the middle seasons, but the creators left and they decided to make it basically a Justice League show and got rid of the worst part. I would never say that it was a good show, and the finale still pisses me off. However, that was due to the actor being a douchebag and not the writing.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Smallville was never good. It was good, however, at stringing viewers/comic fans along with little bits of comic-lore/foreshadowing.

So every season would end up with a neat opener, dreck Villain-of-the-week filler until the mid-season break, sprinkle a bit more hints of cool poo poo to come but not see it through, followed by more VotW filler, and then usually a kickass finale to inspire viewers to come back next season. The whole show was built on blue balls.

Even the later seasons when the new writers came in, it was too late and all the actors had really checked-out from giving a poo poo.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Yes, but I believe they literally tried to claim Marvel wasn't owed any credit or money because it wasn't explicitly an X-Men show, nor was it directly based on the Mutant X comic (which was set in a parallel reality where Storm was a vampire queen that renamed herself BLOODSTORM)

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Marvel actually helped make it, you might be thinking of the fact that Fox sued Marvel and Co because they had the rights to X-Men and Marvel went "Listen this is totally a different group of super powered mutants with nothing to do with the X-Men, so there :colbert:". Then Marvel counter-sued. Fox and Marvel settled, but Fox kept going after the other people making it. Then those guys sued Marvel because they were sold "basically the X-men" and they had to change a bunch of poo poo to keep Fox happy and it cost them a ton of money. And eventually one of the production companies blew the gently caress up, and there went Mutant X.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

There are good episodes of Smallville, but the show never learned how to plot out a full season - even its better seasons are plagued with filler and nonsensical contrivance.

As much as we justifiably poo poo on it, Smallville did have a handful of great performances - Erica Durance in particular was far better than any of the material ever given her.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Very quick (:haw:) new clips of The Flash in this new promo. When do we usually get new threads for shows that premiere in less than a week? I mean, where am I gonna post these gifs I made for posterity?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Have they said if the ~Extended Premiere~ is going to have anything extra compared to the leaked pilot? Or was that thing just like 45 minutes long instead of the usual 42 and I just don't remember?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

VDay posted:

Have they said if the ~Extended Premiere~ is going to have anything extra compared to the leaked pilot? Or was that thing just like 45 minutes long instead of the usual 42 and I just don't remember?

That seems to be the implication of the trailer, though you are right in that the pilot was closer to the 45 minute mark. It'd be neat though if like, to give surprises for those who read spoiler-y reviews (or otherwise watched the pilot because there's no way they aren't aware of the leak after the sheer reaction to it), they added in a few extra scenes.

Also looks like they're gonna draw on the Starman repertoire, since episode 3 will featured the Mist.

http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/the-flash/239814/the-flash-things-you-cant-outrun-official-synopsis

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

VDay posted:

There were some bad cuts in the leaked pilot, maybe they fix that?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

King Burgundy posted:

I disagree with this entirely. You close off so many narrative options when you kill off your villains. One of the coolest things that happens in the Batman films is Scarecrow making like a 2 minute appearance as a side job in a later movie. It makes the world feel bigger. Also, just because YOU are done working on a story, it doesn't mean the story is over if you are working in a shared universe.

I always think it is stupid when superhero movies kill off villains, unless it is an expected part of the story(Punisher).

To bring this back to Arrow, I was disappointed when we lost Vertigo and Shrapnel. In both cases it may be ok though as there is more than one Vertigo and Shrapnel was off screen so they have a loophole.

It forces you to write stories in a way that leaves people alive, which can limit the potential outcomes and itself closes off various story possibilities. If you're making a handful of films in a self-contained series then you can afford to have a few characters die and still have a big enough universe.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

WarLocke posted:

Yes, they were the legally different enough (or not) X-men. Lead by Lex Luthor.

I enjoyed it though. Not exactly high quality storytelling, but enjoyable enough.

VDay posted:

Yeah, they are throwing a lot of goodies our way to make people tune in despite the leak. Nice strategy.

e X fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 3, 2014

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

e X posted:

Yeah, they are throwing a lot of goodies our way to make people tune in despite the leak. Nice strategy.
I dunno, maybe that was the plan all along? :tinfoil:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The leak was already almost 47 minutes long. I was wondering what five minutes they were going to cut but I guess now they won't cut anything.

And on that note, there's now a Flash thread for all your Flash needs. A new and improved Arrow thread will be up soon so we can retire this one.

X-O fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 3, 2014

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Apparently the producers of the show have said that their plans for Ray Palmer on Arrow will not include shrinking.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Scyantific posted:

Apparently the producers of the show have said that their plans for Ray Palmer on Arrow will not include shrinking.

So he'll be Giant Man then.

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Scyantific posted:

This makes me strangely sad. They don't miss the mark too often on this show though so I guess they earn benefit of the doubt that it will work out ok.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Considering they originally wanted Ted Kord, that makes some sense.

Hmm. Well, I'm sure I'd care more if I cared more about Ray Palmer.

Ryan Choi supremacy.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I found out if you marathon the last few episodes of season 1, you can do a pretty good drinking game based on whenever they mention "those people in the glades" (or words to that effect). Finish your glass if the character saying it is a billionaire.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
My favorite thing about the glades is that its a couple blocks of houses in place of the Boston Common.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

yronic heroism posted:

I found out if you marathon the last few episodes of season 1, you can do a pretty good drinking game based on whenever they mention "those people in the glades" (or words to that effect). Finish your glass if the character saying it is a billionaire.

I really hope we get some more social commentary / social consciousness in the show. It's one of the few things I think was worse in season 2 compared to season 1, and is a pretty important part of the character.

The fact Blood didn't get a "YOU HAVE FAILED THIS CITY" speech was a slight disappointment too.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
My biggest problem with the Glades is that it is probably one of the worst names for a run down section of a city. Every time some character uses that name, I have to remind myself that they are talking about the Starling City ghetto and not a Hamptons analogue.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

JohnSherman posted:

My biggest problem with the Glades is that it is probably one of the worst names for a run down section of a city. Every time some character uses that name, I have to remind myself that they are talking about the Starling City ghetto and not a Hamptons analogue.

I thought the Glades was supposed to be the city's projects area, hence being named the "Glades" to try and make it sound more attractive to the poor people they have shunted in there.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Is it Arrow day yet? :ohdear:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hope you all watched the first Episode of Nightwing, it's brutal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o297A1wmys0

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Rocksicles posted:

Hope you all watched the first Episode of Nightwing, it's brutal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o297A1wmys0

My favorite thing is how Deathstroke is fighting the same two stunt guys over and over. It's hilarious.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, and his sword goes missing half way through for the throws. But it's pretty entertaining. I'll take my Nightwing anyway i can get him. gently caress you DCMU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Scyantific posted:

"Hmm. We have this Kal-El fellow, but the strength and invulnerability just seems too much."

Badcounterpoint
Mar 5, 2014
So I just started watching this show again and was all excited to start reading this thread... and then I realized I should catch up with the show first... catch back up with you in a few days.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Scyantific posted:

Smallville! :argh:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Ray Palmer becomes Blue Beetle, Ted Kord becomes The Atom, and a time traveling Rose Wilson as Booster Gold. Together they form the Justice League WTF

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Whizbang posted:

Smallville! :argh:

More like Largeville.

Because there's no shrinking, you see.

Yup.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

More like Largeville.

Yup.

Wouldn't it just be regular-size-ville?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Chokes McGee posted:

More like Largeville.

Yup.

Boo this man. Boo him!

(You have super failed this thread.)

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I can't believe my favorite show currently on-air starts back on Wednesday. That's cool.

If you don't already like Stephen on FB, go ahead and do that because he's also cool and I plan to marry him some day.

Do we know if Canary is returning for good?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She's only in a handful of episodes this season, I believe.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
If Ray Palmer turns out to be a former Air Force pilot, all will be forgiven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
New Thread! Go post in it:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3669975

• Locked thread