Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Lum_ posted:

Just popping in to remind everyone that despite everyone saying it's "launching", the only thing that is launching is a promise we won't wipe your characters. The game isn't yet content complete at all and will not be for some time. If you want to hop on and mess around with the done parts such as the sandbox aspects, community, and building a trailer park, that's great! But calling it "launched" makes me drink heavily, and my liver would appreciate you not doing that. Thanks, you're swell!

Yes. By avoiding the word "launch", you're technically able to stay in pre-alpha forever. Even though this is the actual final character advancement.

Lum, you're better than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Boo Boo Glass posted:

Short (and misleading) answer? No, there's no release date yet.

Longer (and more accurate) answer? Less than two months!

They still claim it's in "pre-alpha". They don't have a published plan, that I could find, that details how they're getting from that made-up state to an actual alpha, or beta, or launch. However, the last character wipe - as in, no more wipes, you can start playing your final actual character after this - is July 28th. So while the game may still change around you, your character and all of its equipment and abilities and housing will be permanent and live after July 28th.

Their own site has a hilarious fence-walk about this bullshit:

"Please understand that final wipe is not “launch”. We will continue to be working to finish the game’s story content well past final wipe, while we remain in Early Access. Until then, the game is neither “launched” nor complete, but as mentioned below, the concept of “launch” may not even be applicable to this development model. Launch will be when we pull the game out of Early Access and we start marketing / public relation campaigns to pull in new customers."

Enjoy your pre-alpha!

Lum, nobody tried to claim that this game is done (i.e. "Launched"). You and yours have made it clear that it will never be launched. Feeling the need to hide behind that nuance is what I mock: it's apparently launched enough for final character wipe, but not launched enough to critique.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I hope the gay devs are ok

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Lum_ posted:

Just popping in to remind everyone that despite everyone saying it's "launching", the only thing that is launching is a promise we won't wipe your characters. The game isn't yet content complete at all and will not be for some time. If you want to hop on and mess around with the done parts such as the sandbox aspects, community, and building a trailer park, that's great! But calling it "launched" makes me drink heavily, and my liver would appreciate you not doing that. Thanks, you're swell!

:stare:

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I don't mind soft launches with persistent progression a year or so before the actual launch to get people to actually test the game, but there are a couple problems with this game that make me feel like even now was too early for a soft launch. There's a ton of content but it's very unpolished and nothing is explained well, even for a cRPG with very little "hand holding by design".

I mean, it has only been 3 years so waiting 6 months or a year wouldn't be too much of a problem.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Thursday Next posted:

Yes. By avoiding the word "launch", you're technically able to stay in pre-alpha forever. Even though this is the actual final character advancement.

Wait, this is pre-alpha? I thought it was alpha. :(

Node, the same thing happened to me when i tried to first went Moria.The game crashed and i got confused thinking this was an area i wasn't expose to goto (cause the whole screen going dark thing.)Also: maybe it's just me but the loading screens take a while to load.

After figuring out how to initiate combat, I can honestly say the combat is pretty much terrible. for the first few swings im standing in front of the enemy npc then when i hit my thrust im standing 2 feet behind him and still swinging. The whole process is awkward and boring.

Crafting looks interesting. I'd like a house so i can make tables etc to put it in, but i really don't have an extra $575 dollars laying around to buy one.

Since this game will most likely by pre-alpha for quite some time, maybe it'll get better.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

iminers posted:

Wait, this is pre-alpha? I thought it was alpha. :(

Node, the same thing happened to me when i tried to first went Moria.The game crashed and i got confused thinking this was an area i wasn't expose to goto (cause the whole screen going dark thing.)Also: maybe it's just me but the loading screens take a while to load.

After figuring out how to initiate combat, I can honestly say the combat is pretty much terrible. for the first few swings im standing in front of the enemy npc then when i hit my thrust im standing 2 feet behind him and still swinging. The whole process is awkward and boring.

Crafting looks interesting. I'd like a house so i can make tables etc to put it in, but i really don't have an extra $575 dollars laying around to buy one.

Since this game will most likely by pre-alpha for quite some time, maybe it'll get better.

It didn't crash the third time. Now, I'm not sure what to do. I like the idea of a social and crafting MMOG (although combat definitely needs improving by a lot, and by a lot I mean A LOT) but I am at a loss as to what to do right now. Do I stay at Resolute? Do I go to Brittany? Where does everyone hang out? What do people do??

As for the launch/not a launch business, I do agree that this game is not in launch condition and isn't advertising itself as so. However, when you have a pseudo MMOG and have a "final wipe" a LOT of people will understandably read that as a game that is ready. Why wouldn't you wipe the characters when you reach version 1.0? When the game is actually launched, there will be a whole bunch of powerful players, instead of everyone starting at a blank slate (bonus points if you get that reference.) Maybe that isn't a bad thing?

I'll keep trying this game bit by bit. I'll give the new player's guide a good read.

Puffns
Jun 15, 2015
I'm positively surprised by the current state of the game. Hopefully they have implemented some kind of anti-cheat system. :ohdear:

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
This Game owns.

Went into the Tower of the Shuttered Eye with some friends, killed all the undead on the tower + boss at the top of the tower. Found locked door, had to check all the dead skeletons for key, read several books in the bookcases of the tower and several notes. On one of the notes it says the location of the key. The key is located behind the statue to the right as you enter the tower, there will be a loose stone with a different texture than the rest of the stone, you press it and it gives you the key to the room upstairs. The treasure room contains armor, weapons and 5 chests with gold.

Among other loose treasure I found a Custom Book. If you store a txt file at c:\Users\<your account>\AppData\Roaming\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Custom Books you can import the content into a book. The Book can be sold on the auction house. I sold one for 15,000g.

This game just paid itself.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Hahaha. You could write custom books in UO too. I always wrote something stupid and left them in random places in town in hopes that, by some random chance, someone read it and I made their day better or worse.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Once I get a house, I have a printing press where I can produce books for free
http://sotawiki.net/sota/Magic_Printing_Press

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
Scam of the Day...

Run Tower of the Shuttered Eye with pubbies and while they are busy fighting the leech go ahead and take the 6 chests on top...

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Tempus Thales posted:

Scam of the Day...

Run Tower of the Shuttered Eye with pubbies and while they are busy fighting the leech go ahead and take the 6 chests on top...

Where is all this happening? What town/city/metropolis should I go to?

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Node posted:

I'd like to know this as well. Right now im in Highvale getting my skills up.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Come to Ardoris. Everyone is here. Add me (Alexander DeLarge) and Tempus Thales. We're going to do some of the tower runs today. Join the SA discord. Ideally I'd like to get the text chat and VOIP channels going around the clock.

Once my land selection begins, we'll hopefully be past the gates and into mainland near Britanny.

http://discordgoons.com

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 31, 2016

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I think it owns to see goons giving this game another shot in the non launched alpha release, but isn't Tempus Thalus the guy who robbed the goon bank of that other 'Ultima inspired' MMO that is now dead?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
From what I remember he picked a fight with some pubbies, the leader freaked out and had a meltdown but at that point nobody was playing anymore anyway. Unless you still mean another game but either way it was dumb drama.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Node posted:

its near Soltown

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

extra stout posted:

I think it owns to see goons giving this game another shot in the non launched alpha release, but isn't Tempus Thalus the guy who robbed the goon bank of that other 'Ultima inspired' MMO that is now dead?

Game was dead at that point and it was a poor attempt to reboot the franchise. :rip:

Sourpuss
Mar 18, 2007

Chomb Chomb Chomb
The Soltown area is a good starting point, it really dosent take too long to get round the map anyway apart from having to do crazy death runs through the midzone passes

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Sourpuss posted:

The Soltown area is a good starting point, it really dosent take too long to get round the map anyway apart from having to do crazy death runs through the midzone passes

I don't understand why they have multiple starting places. Soltown is ideal based on my experience with the releases.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Sourpuss posted:

Well the place I'm talking about, Tower of the Shuttered Eye we need a group to run it and farm it, lots of gold and XP in that run... it resets 15 minutes after rinse and repeat.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Tempus Thales posted:

Game was dead at that point and it was a poor attempt to reboot the franchise. :rip:

This post feels like you're basically clarifying that you'll absolutely be robbing this guild bank too

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

extra stout posted:

This post feels like you're basically clarifying that you'll absolutely be robbing this guild bank too

ok

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Thursday Next posted:

Apparently you didn't get the memo. No games are finished anymore and everything gets patched and updated eternally.

Thursday Next posted:

Lum, nobody tried to claim that this game is done (i.e. "Launched"). You and yours have made it clear that it will never be launched. Feeling the need to hide behind that nuance is what I mock: it's apparently launched enough for final character wipe, but not launched enough to critique.

"Nobody is trying to claim this game is launched except me while I try to make a comparison!"

You might be trying to make a good point but I'm not sure you wrote it like that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DancingShade posted:

Apparently you didn't get the memo. No games are finished anymore and everything gets patched and updated eternally.

With Early Access games, they are only in that state so long as the dev is hitting marketing and financial goals. Once that stops their game suddenly goes full release on Steam.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

With Early Access games, they are only in that state so long as the dev is hitting marketing and financial goals. Once that stops their game suddenly goes full release on Steam.

Testify! You have spoken in the tongues of angels and we know them to be true.

(although on some occasions games finally go full release with more features, hello Starbound)

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

DancingShade posted:

Testify! You have spoken in the tongues of angels and we know them to be true.

(although on some occasions games finally go full release with more features, hello Starbound)

Why are you angry about sota?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
So, apparently at a point where I had more money than sense, I backed this as a "2nd Responder."

I see that it has just final wiped. The OP looks like it hasn't been updated or anything, and the last couple of pages of the thread apparently have drama...? What's the deal? Is there a Goon guild yet? I just started downloading the game over Steam. Can someone point me to a good starter guide? Maybe start up a new thread with useful info in the OP?

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Thanatosian posted:

So, apparently at a point where I had more money than sense, I backed this as a "2nd Responder."

I see that it has just final wiped. The OP looks like it hasn't been updated or anything, and the last couple of pages of the thread apparently have drama...? What's the deal? Is there a Goon guild yet? I just started downloading the game over Steam. Can someone point me to a good starter guide? Maybe start up a new thread with useful info in the OP?

No.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

iminers posted:

Why are you angry about sota?

Look to the left of this post.

Thanatosian posted:

At this point I think goons are pretty burned out on the idea of goon guilds. We know exactly how they all end up.

Most recently: the fantastic success story that was Black Desert.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 1, 2016

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

DancingShade posted:

Most recently: the fantastic success story that was Black Desert.

What did happen, anyway? The PGS thread is nothing but people posting guest codes while the MMO thread just says "they all died".

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Good Dumplings posted:

What did happen, anyway? The PGS thread is nothing but people posting guest codes while the MMO thread just says "they all died".

The short, short version is that a goon rush these days draws less and less people and post launch fortnight player retention is always in the toilet. So after a couple weeks/month you only have the most hardcore :spergin: personalities which always includes a certain degree of toxicity and friction. The more sane ones jump ship or leave altogether because they see the writing on the wall and/or know people by name/voice over mumble anyway.

In BDO this was exacerbated by endgame content requiring large group participation, co-ordination and good leadership. Goons have none of these things. In the absence of any success on the horizon (especially with node wars coming soon, at the time) people quit to join larger and more co-ordinated pubbie guilds. Basically off the radar altogether and trying to carry along as many goons as possible. This would repeat for multiple guilds and people drop out altogether along the way. Your typical failure spiral.

In every MMO goon rush we have the same specific core group of goons turning up nearly every time. One half loathes the other half and fun ensues.

TL;DR goon rush guilds are basically an unmoderated D&D thread about politics and abortion.

Edit - spelling is hard.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 1, 2016

Texibus
May 18, 2008
My time with the WoW goons during Wrath of the Lich King was good and fun, no complaints.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've had good times with Starfleet Dental in STO and Goon Squad in GW2. I think it helps that there is absolutely gently caress-nothing at stake in either game, and that you can't swing a guy playing a catgirl without hitting a griefable pubbie.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

The thing with SA is that each sub-forum attracts a different kind of person, so if you're not a "gamer" and just shitpost in D&D or GBS, joining a goon guild may be not the experience you expected in the first place. Like, half the people I met in goon guilds are the kind of posters who SA used to ridicule in Weekend Web and other threads. Also the smug "we're better than the pubbies" attitude is weird and doesn't make you less broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Closing this thread so a brand new wonderful one can spring up in its place thanks to lovely dedicated forum users!

• Locked thread