Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Absolutely fantastic game and LP, thank you Tevery. Also, thanks for making me one of the only surviving Germans! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Absolutely fantastic game and LP, thank you Tevery. Also, thanks for making me one of the only surviving Germans! :v:

Hey, I survived until the Red Brigades :)

Thanks for the LP, Tevery.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Fast forward

Some of you may ask: why call the game right now? After all, the German situation is dire, but not totally unsalvageable. The Soviets are still in the USSR, and there is a large Axis force still fighting. Surely there is still something to play for?

The answer, however, is that there is no realistic way for the Germans to win.

The only win condition they may still theoretically have a shot at is that if the Soviets do not win by the end of Turn 28, the Germans do instead. And that's all well and fine, you might think, don't they have the entirety of Greater Germany to defend in? That's almost two countries between the Soviets and Berlin!

But if you look at the map below...

...you'll see that while the Soviet Union is huge, Germany is not. The Soviets are 8 hexes away from Berlin right now, and that means that the Germans can't, on average, give up even a single hex of land a turn.

Still, maybe they can just defend in depth, occasionally counter-attack and try to figure something out? Here's another problem:

Right now they're 4 units down, and even though they're getting one this turn (and a decent one to boot), they'll continue to be weakened. Why?

This turn marks the invasion of Italy, which costs them a VP and a card. And this is only the beginning of their troubles. Their units are mostly reduced-strength right now, and having two steps is what allows the Germans to put up a very resilient defence. They won't have the resources to bring those forces back up. Let's take a look at the turn track and see just why.

On Turn 15, the Axis start to lose card draws because of No Surrender. In fact, we can safely assume that until the end of the game, pretty much every skull icon means that the Germans lose three cards (maybe save for 1945, if they're lucky). And that turn they also have to remove the 8th Italian... which is dead right now, causing them to lose another card because of that. On Turn 16 they have another blow to take: the 2nd Panzer also leaves the game.

1944 opens with a serious change to the Soviet fighting capabilities: from that point on, their units have two steps. This means, on the one hand, that they have to be re-upgraded if they lose a step (but this can be done with their free upgrades or at a cost of one card discard), on the other - they have a lot more staying power. A curious little rules catch is that this means that any upgraded Soviet units that die on Turn 16 only come back on their weaker side (because destroyed units come back on their reduced-strength side, which they had only just acquired). Turn 18 gives the Axis a tiny little bit of help - the Soviets lose one of their two free upgrades. Of course, this is followed by a kick to the nuts - No Surrender and the loss of SS Panzer. Instead, the Axis get these guys:

A lot wimpier than their Panzer colleagues, but with an interesting gimmick: when they defend, they cause the attack to shift one column to the left. Definitely useful, but not as much as SS Panzer...

On Turn 20, the Germans are fighting a full-blown two-front war and suffer for it. They can only make three voluntary attacks per turn from that point on. Given the sad state of their force, however, that probably wouldn't be as much of a hit.

Regardless of the strategy adopted by the Soviets, I'd estimate that even if they wanted to clean house first, this is the absolute latest that they would get an upgraded unit into Greater Germany. This triggers a bunch of reinforcements:

None of these units is particularly strong, though. The German fortresses may seem handy, but they are not the sturdy Soviet forts that prevented the loss of Sevastopol and Leningrad - they only have one step, have to take the first EX result in a battle, and once destroyed, are permanently removed from the game.

Another bunch of interesting effects trigger when the Soviets secure the Ploesti oil fields hex.

For the Germans, this has some pretty horrible consequences. Their tanks (other than SS Panzer) permanently lose their Armour and Advance bonuses, and even if they manage to reconquer the oil fields, they can only regain the Armour bonus. They also lose all Rumanian units, as the country surrenders to the Soviets. Finally, the two Yugoslav units spawn in the West/South Balkans areas, with the two new German armies pretty much instantly tied up fighting them. The Yugoslavs arrive as fortresses, but if left unchecked, they can flip back to infantry and harass the Germans, as they can draw supply from the two Balkans areas (and nowhere else, so they can't guerilla their way into Berlin). The Soviet Rumanians, by the way, have two steps - but the one displayed is their stronger one.

Once the Soviets take Warsaw, they get the Polish unit. These guys are Soviet Rumanians, though - they only have one step and go to the Turn Track once whacked.

Turn 23 changes the rules of the game a lot. First of all, from that point on, only hexes in Greater Germany count for VP purposes. Second, all cards with the crossed-out "45" icon (e.g.) are removed from the game and replaced with a bunch of new 1945-only cards - of which most provide VPs for holding specific areas, but some are actually useful. Third, it allows the Soviets to stack. Fourth, it generates the last Axis reinforcements wave:

All these units are immediately placed in the respective Cities. The black hexes represent Volkssturm units, a last-ditch force of poorly trained conscripts. They are weak, but they have a unique feature: when a DR is rolled against their hex, it gets converted to no effect, but the VS unit is removed from the game. Berlin Garrison, in turn, is also very important: if the Soviets manage to destroy that unit, they win the game by Killing Hitler.

All this unit spawning has the adverse effect of causing the Germans to only draw one card that turn. This is bad.

Also, from this turn on, the Axis can pay some VPs in their Org Phase to bring back the SS Panzer, which is the one thing they really have going for them at that point.

On Turn 24, the Germans are barred from upgrading their units. They probably won't be able to afford it, anyway.

On Turn 26, they are down to one target. The Reich is so weakened that it can only afford small-scale local offensives.

On Turn 28, the Berlin Garrison is removed from the game and the Soviets may no longer win by Killing Hitler.

That seems to be it! The LP is officially over! Thanks for all your kind words and support, and I'll try to think of something to do next. Stay tuned!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Are there any game effects on the D-Day, Battle of the Bulge, Rhine Crossed, and Economic Collapse turns?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thank you for that fantastic send-off, Tevery!

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

vyelkin posted:

Are there any game effects on the D-Day, Battle of the Bulge, Rhine Crossed, and Economic Collapse turns?

They cost the Germans a victory point and a card discard. Nothing specific, though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Heh, it's fitting that the northern defence is the main issue with our continued survival. I wonder if victory at Leningrad would've changed that, but that was purely down to the dice. drat Leningrad Fortress, you were the one thing main thing one of many things that caused German defeat. I still blame Davin.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Heh, it's fitting that the northern defence is the main issue with our continued survival. I wonder if victory at Leningrad would've changed that, but that was purely down to the dice. drat Leningrad Fortress, you were the one thing main thing one of many things that caused German defeat. I still blame Davin.

I think we all know who is primarily to blame for the utter failure of the Axis forces :catbert:

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Good game. Look at it this way, Finland: once the Cold War ends, you still have Karelia and Petsamo! :v:

Now to see how the Herp-Fangz rematch in Grey Hunter's AAR develops.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Ha oh wow that ending. For the record I enjoyed working with everyone on my team and hope we can work together on things in the future. As for our enemies well even if you had a ruff time of it I enjoyed your sides commentary at least (Especially Devin and Herp).

cokerpilot fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 20, 2014

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Carl Paradis in my BGG inbox posted:

------------ Forwarded Message -----------
To: Tevery Best
Date: 2014-10-31 07:29:26
Subject: Re:Offsite: team playthrough with newbies on somethingawful.com

Tevery Best posted:

Mr Paradis,

For the past months, I've been running a game of No Retreat on the Something Awful Forums. The gimmick was that the game was actually played by two teams of mostly newbies, with me just keeping the rules straight - and them in the dark about the events to come. You can read the thread here (might require an account).

As I send this, I'd like to extend a heartfelt thank you for designing this wonderful game and helping me resolve rules problems many times in those past months. Rock on!

Wow. So very cool idea! I'll check the web site and ask GMT's graphic artist to make a banner about this!

And thanks for buying ans playing my little game, my first ever design in fact! :p

Best regards.

Carl Paradis
Montréal, canada.

Pat yourselves on the back, lads. (I know it's a month late, but I don't check my BGG mail all that often, and also I forgot you might want to see this.)

I'll put something up sometime next week, I hope. Turns out one of my friends actually did buy 1989, so we might do that, ooooor we might set sail. We'll see.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Oooh, boats, shiny counters and an "On Fire" counter! Colour me intrigued for whatever comes next.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Can't wait to see his reaction to the Axis total clusterfuck. For which I still blame Herp, by the way.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

If we are to be totally fair, the Axis Clusterfuck would have been averted if Leningrad was taken. If AGN Army Group Entrenched Mongoose was freed up and northern supply established, we could've easily taken down the forces in the path of Army Group Centre Tiger's Heart. So, it was really all your fault Davin.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Leningrad indeed.

I await you next project Tevery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
So, uh. That was a bit more than a week.

I made a post in the Sandcastle on what I'm planning to do next, feel free to look at it and give me any hints and ideas you might have!

• Locked thread