Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm a big fan of James Turrell. He works with light to produce these kind of illusion pieces where you think that there's something where there isn't. Some of the more basic ones are simply shapes projected against walls, like so:

Another version is the "Space Divison":

I like these a lot because the effect is so simple. At first it scans as just a rectangular panel of color, but the trick is that it's simply a hole in the wall, and behind it is a rounded, evenly-lit space. Since you can't perceive the depth, there appears to be no depth at all. This effect is taken to the extreme in his Ganzfelds:

The light is even and vivid, and the walls are curved to meet the floor, creating an endless space around you. A sort of reversal of this is his Wedgeworks series, and I really have no idea how they work but they're neat:

One of his most common installations is the Skyspace, where the sky itself becomes the canvas via a hole cut in the ceiling:

The Skyspaces kind of sum up Turrell's work as a whole. The perfectly clean edge of the frame (angled sheetrock replaced annually) bring the sky down, and make it seem almost tangible, since it's impossible to discern depth in it. The subject is the light that is filtered through the atmosphere, which changes constantly.

This looks utterly fantastic, this the first I've seen someone take Flavin to the next level. Ganzfelds is some next level installation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
I didn't know much about him until I played Bubsy 3d: Bubsy visits the James Turrell Retrospective . Play it if you haven't already; it's free and it's great. Art in its own right, I suppose.

For content, this Christopher Wool piece always intrigued me. This version in Pittsburgh is very large.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.
A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte by Georges Seurat

click for bigger

The impressive part of this painting, to me, is that is exemplifies pointillism. The entire image is made of dots and dabs, not strokes or washes. So, looking at an extreme close-up, the image starts to break down into its components:

This technique also has a major impact on your life. Why? This technique, taking tiny multicolored dots to create a much larger picture, is being used to render this image on whatever device you're now using.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
My favorite thing about that painting is completely accidental. As it ages, the yellow paint Seurat used gets progressively more and more orange/brown, which makes the light look more golden. The afternoon in the painting is visibly passing in time.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

My favorite thing about that painting is completely accidental. As it ages, the yellow paint Seurat used gets progressively more and more orange/brown, which makes the light look more golden. The afternoon in the painting is visibly passing in time.

I was not aware of that. That's amazing! Hopefully it won't change too much to require a full restoration in 100 years or so.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Slim Killington posted:

Everyone knows about Garden of Earthly Delights, but just look at this thing:

HUGE-rear end VERSION: 30k full-resolution at WikiCommons

The detail and imagery is unbelievable, even to me today:

Just as an aside, google 'butt music from hell' and you'll find a bunch of people playing the music from the guy's rear end in that painting.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

dee eight posted:

Just as an aside, google 'butt music from hell' and you'll find a bunch of people playing the music from the guy's rear end in that painting.
Well Manicured Man made a very neat Choral Arrangement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br3SunLc8zU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I've always admired Chuck close - he was initially a famous photorealist, making stuff like this self-portrait -

That's a DRAWING, by the way.

However, in 1988 he suffered a spinal artery collapse, that left him bound to a wheelchair for the rest of his life, half of his body semi-paralyzed. Lacking the means to reproduce the fine detail he'd used before, he shifted gears into a block/grid style on a large scale that was still able to produce incredibly detailed and accurate representations.

A close-up of the blobs/grids.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

He also does photo portraits with this huge thing

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

On the same note, this is The Night Watch by Rembrant

Oringinally it was titled Militia Company of District II under the Command of Captain Frans Banninck Cocq and was a daytime scene, but over the centuries the varnish used to seal the painting darkened enough for it to look like a night scene.

bummer dude
Jun 20, 2004

duuuude

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm a big fan of James Turrell. He works with light to produce these kind of illusion pieces where you think that there's something where there isn't. Some of the more basic ones are simply shapes projected against walls, like so:

James Turrell's work is really coo. Eric Orr does some similar work with light and sensation, Zero Mass probably being the most prominent example. It's basically a completely dark room lined with hanging paper so there are no hard edges - difficult to explain the sensation - but certainly powerful. The complete lack of light makes your eyes/brain do some interesting tricks. Hard to explain, this article does an okay job: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-seed/zero-mass-exhibit_b_1000316.html.

On a different note. I really enjoy the work of Chris Engman - installation artist/photographer.

Three Moments

Dust to Dust

Also, really like Kevin Cooley's video installations - which unfortunately I can't embed but I really like tow http://www.kevincooley.net/tow ; and primary forces http://www.kevincooley.net/primary-forces-videos

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

BadAssGoku by JK200

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
He's not even super saiyan, what a waste.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Two giant, fleshy caterpillars have eaten his arms. :ohdear:

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I've always been a big fan of Jackson Pollock, mainly because of the fact that he was ahead of his time and like most artist, was bothered by demons.

Autumn Rhythm (Number 30)

Two close ups

1)

2)

This one is found at The Met.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

This has been on display at the Detroit Institute of Arts since 2009, and every time I go there this is one of my favorite works to marvel at.

The contemporary art hall overall is pretty great, particularly if you drag engineering or pre-med students along. Their hissyfits about modern art are a great way to heighten the entertainment.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Ofaloaf posted:

This has been on display at the Detroit Institute of Arts since 2009, and every time I go there this is one of my favorite works to marvel at.

The contemporary art hall overall is pretty great, particularly if you drag engineering or pre-med students along. Their hissyfits about modern art are a great way to heighten the entertainment.

Some day I am going to commission a painting of myself on a horse. I originally wanted it in more of a classical style but now I want one done like this also.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
I thought that last one was Saints Row Concept art for a second. Actual contributions to the thread (that I can't find images of right now because this laptop is roughly ten years old and dies when trying to load google image search results) would be Nude Descending a Staircase by Marcel Duchamp and A Thousand Li of Rivers and Mountains by Wang Ximeng.

I love the sense of movement Nude Descending a Staircase has and Thousand Li of Rivers and Mountains is just so ethereal. I can't really describe the sense of timelessness it gives me.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Joseph Mallord William Turner
Snow Storm - Steam-Boat off a Harbour's Mouth exhibited 1842

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
I love Alphonse Mucha because of how stunningly he shows people and emotions.

Woman in the Wilderness, 1923

His wife, Maruška, was posing.

The Slav Epic #13, The Hussite King Jiri z Podebrad: Treaties are to be Observed, 1923

The Slav Epic #15, The Printing of the Bible in Kralice in Ivancice, 1914

The Slav Epic #19, The Abolition of Serfdom in Russia, 1914

The Slav Epic #20, Apotheosis of the Slavs, 1926

Truck Stop Stall
Jul 11, 2006

Odd Nerdrum

Does anyone have the paintings of Renaissance priests in um unpriestly poses? There's one with a priest trying to pull a donkey in front of a crowd and another where their parrot has knocked over a vase. In one of these threads someone posted a whole bunch of them. There were painted by different artists.

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Uh oh, I think someone just told Hunter what game he's in.

Truck Stop Stall posted:

Does anyone have the paintings of Renaissance priests in um unpriestly poses? There's one with a priest trying to pull a donkey in front of a crowd and another where their parrot has knocked over a vase. In one of these threads someone posted a whole bunch of them. There were painted by different artists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anticlerical_art

The donkey painting is Returning to the Monastery by Eduardo Zamacois y Zabala:

Hobbes
Sep 12, 2000
Forum Veteran
Dinosaur Gum
Henry Ossawa Tanner, one of the first African-American artists to gain any international notoriety. Learned under Thomas Eakins in Philly, but hosed off to France because racism. On a return trip in 1893 he took what was a common trope in American art at the time, the caricature of a black minstrel type dude (most often with a banjo), and humanized it in The Banjo Player

Rather than do a lot of work relating to black identity though, Tanner found religion to be a more moving muse and created a beautiful and vulnerable version of the Annunciation in 1898.

Going to Philadelphia later this year and hoping that they happen have some of his work on display at the time.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
'Eine Kleine Nachtmusik', Dorothea Tanning

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
Thomas Gainsborough: "Haymaker and Sleeping Girl"

The original hangs in the MFA in Boston. This is sadly a bad image, the detail in the original is stunning. It's such a simple seeming work, but grabs you. The artist really managed to freeze a moment in time, you know that in a second the dog will bark, she'll wake up and that will it. There's so much buried there...

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Ofaloaf posted:

Just in case anyone didn't know what it was based off of.

Gericault's 'The charging Chasseur'.

XenophobicAirport
Dec 15, 2007

Please have your weapons prepared at the terminal.
Found this thread through Google, now I have to share stuff. Being careful, so :nws: for boobs.

I love morbid themes and creepy paintings. Antoine Wiertz, below, painted a few I really like.

"Hunger, Madness and The Crime". If you played Amnesia: A machine for pigs, you might recognize this one.

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/m4KWZ1C.jpg:nws:

"La Belle Rosine"

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/pD0x9sz.jpg :nws:

"L'Inhumation précipitée", "1854, depicts a cholera victim awakening after being placed in a coffin":

Moving on, paintings with a paranormal reputation.

"The Hands Resist Him", by Bill Stoneham:

This is the infamous "haunted" painting that sold over eBay. Haunted or not, it's creeped me out since I was a teenager. Full background story can be found here. More here.

The Anguished Man, author unknown:

Apparently found hidden away in one Sean Robinson's grandmother's house when he inherited the painting after she passed away, possessing it has brought him nothing but misery in the form of ghostly activity. Background story here. Overall, very creepy painting, fabricated story or not.

XenophobicAirport has a new favorite as of 05:57 on Jul 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

khwarezm posted:

Just in case anyone didn't know what it was based off of.

Gericault's 'The charging Chasseur'.

There's a piece by the same artist the quoted post quotes, that hangs in the Denver Museum of Art:

based on this piece

The artist's name is Kehinde Wiley Passing in case you are interested in more.

A personal favorite that I discovered in the last year is this piece:

"Stańczyk" by Jan Matejko. The composition of the piece is brilliant, especially when you know the history/legend the piece is based on. It somehow manages to perfectly capture the concept of an existential dread a century before the movement came into focus.

• Locked thread