Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Which of the seven deadly sins is being a caricature of a Chinese man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

King Vidiot posted:

My two big problems with the Dead Rising 3 psychos is that pretty much all of them involve exploiting some scripted thing that puts them into "vulnerable mode" where you then run up and press Y+A to do damage, and the fact that they're in locked-off arenas and telegraphed ahead of time. The 7 Deadly Sins thing doesn't bother me nearly as much, if at all really.

Also they're just plain easier in-general.

I killed a few in a couple of seconds first time around. I guess some comboweapons do multiple damage ticks on bosses.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Broseph Brostar posted:

"Wrath", apparently.
Yeah, I don't get it either!

Unsurprisingly, having access to a weapon locker and having the fights telegraphed ahead of time means that you can just lug in 8 RPGs or whatever weapon you feel like using and explode them.
So at the very least the lame boss design can be exploited with lame scenario design.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Broseph Brostar posted:

(psycho spoilers)
Wong (chinese stereotype) = Wrath
Albert (doctor guy) = Greed
Darlene (fat lady) = Gluttony
Jherii (buff lady) = Pride
Kenny (KICK) = Envy
Theodore (magical remote control choppers dude) = Sloth
Dylan (Raiden with penis cannon) = Lust

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Wait, the cop lady wasn't a deadly sin boss? She's just some unrelated boss altogether?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
are there only seven psychos?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Verviticus posted:

There's seven psychos and five bosses who don't count as psychos, I believe. Each DLC also has its own boss but who cares about those.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Verviticus posted:

There are others, but the Seven Sins for the most part just the grouping the optional bosses are, minus Greed.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Butt Ghost posted:

Wait, the cop lady wasn't a deadly sin boss? She's just some unrelated boss altogether?

The "cop lady" is Hemlock's lieutenant. She's standing next to him in the scene where he's introduced, after Rhonda fixes the TV in chapter 0.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

King Vidiot posted:

My two big problems with the Dead Rising 3 psychos is that pretty much all of them involve exploiting some scripted thing that puts them into "vulnerable mode" where you then run up and press Y+A to do damage, and the fact that they're in locked-off arenas and telegraphed ahead of time. The 7 Deadly Sins thing doesn't bother me nearly as much, if at all really.

Also they're just plain easier in-general.

I've gone through most of the psychos so far in game, and I'm ok with them being pushovers. Especially as obnoxious as some of the fights in DR1 and DR2 have been if you weren't prepared.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I would be fine with them being at the difficulty they currently are if the game didn't warn you about them beforehand. Going "HEY THERE'S A PSYCHO COMING UP, GET HYPED" in the mission name/map icon kind of defeats the purpose of telling you to always be prepared by, y'know, giving you notice in advance to prepare.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

That was my favorite part of the survivors during my first runs of the previous games, figuring out whether or not I should bring followers, or stock up on food and weapons. It's like, take the risk that you're not going to run into a clown with chainsaws, or prepare and eat up more of your valuable time?

Of course, since time isn't as valuable in DR3, it wouldn't have mattered too much anyway, but...

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I just wished they scraped the whole sin idea as the optional bosses have nothing in common. The required bosses are equally stupid, but nothing as bad as Wong save for the Redneck on the Steamroller Motorbike and I'm mostly content with them.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The only psychopath to give me trouble oddly was Diego, since I got stunlocked by the spinning globe, which nearly killed me and the possee member who was with me.

Anyway, I am starting to think one of the reason the game has a lot of memory issues is how the game seems to keep a lot of data on file, which I remember in Fallout New Vegas would cause the game to get really blotted. This was noticeable when I kept driving past old combo vehicles on the side of the road with smoke coming out. Which when the game loads a zone outside of the main game for the Red boss fight, the game suddenly goes into 60 FPSs after that one ini file was used.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Fereydun posted:

"Wrath", apparently.
Yeah, I don't get it either!

Unsurprisingly, having access to a weapon locker and having the fights telegraphed ahead of time means that you can just lug in 8 RPGs or whatever weapon you feel like using and explode them.
So at the very least the lame boss design can be exploited with lame scenario design.

He makes sense after you beat him and he goes into a spiel about how the world has hosed him and he's taking his anger out on everyone he comes across, the whole reason the boss fight started was because of zombies interrupting him with the gong. The fact that he's a Zen Buddhist monk adds to the irony of it all I guess.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah, dude was getting hosed pretty hard by life, so it looks like he tried the whole Zen Monk thing to keep himself from going postal.

But then...

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Kinda wish you got his outfit, those beads would go great with my "tsundere in the streets" ensemble.

Also the gang leader outfit would be great if it wasn't for the confederate flag bullshit on it

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Football Zombies may be my favorite variant in the entire series.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I like joining coop games wearing the football outfit and only shoulder tackling zombies. At least until I can hit up a weapon locker and fill my inventory with footballs.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Finally finished the game. Overall it was a very fun game despite the PC port issues. Overall my favorite in the series is still Off the Record, but Dead Rising 3 is probably tied with Dead Rising 1, since while I loved the setting and characters of DR1, the gameplay for it hasn't aged that well at all.

Thankfully none of the bosses were that tough, even through the final boss nearly killed me since I got punched into the blades and somehow Nick didn't recover right away and lost half his life since he couldn't get moving. Also the grenade launcher tore me up when I had to get more food. Thankfully the General isn't too bad once I figured out his attack pattern. Still prefer this fight over Brock and his boring tank fight.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Just beat DR3, haven't touched the DLC campaigns yet. They worth jumping into?

Some thoughts:

I'm honestly not sure how to feel about this game, I am a huge fan of the DR series and I'm happy a lot of the gloom and doom leading up to release ended up being unfounded (edgy, humorless, etc). But there's some changes I really didn't care for.

1. The bigger map: This bugged me a lot because there's no "central" area like DR1 and 2 had to cut across zones which just artificially made it take longer to go to certain areas. I also didn't like how much of a chore it was to go places in general, I didn't find driving cars around very fun (even combo ones) and with the road blocks and stuff blocking areas I ended up getting really mad at certain points (most notably the final mission). Was also disappointed at the lack of a convict/redneck "persistent" threat, I guess this goes back to there not being a central area in the map you could cut through.

2. Difficulty: The game was really easy, I died twice throughout the entire game, and came close to dying maybe four times. (Died to Red and a random swat dude I never bothered to even carry food with me where I'd usually have at least 1-2 high quality food items in my inventory at all times in 1 and 2. Maybe nightmare would have been more up my alley. The Psychopaths in general were really underwhelming due to this, they just weren't dangerous.

3. Time limit: It basically wasn't there which was dumb, I didn't feel like I was in a rush or hurry at any point besides the last mission. I also beat chapter 7 on day 5, meaning literally 3 days were just buffer time I guess? Stupid. I always liked the time limit, it kept me on my toes and sometimes I was in a situation where I had to choose one or the other when it came to side missions, which gave me more incentive to replay. In this, I never came close to any of the missions even hitting the halfway expire mark.

The game did a lot of things right though, on the fly comboing was a god send and a lot of the weapons were satisfying to use. I guess after thinking about it some more I'd say I enjoyed the game, and the positives outweighed the negatives.

A few more things:
The gently caress was with the worms, what happened to the maggots? I didn't play Case West, but I know that the wheelchair chick was from it, dunno if the two things are related or not.

They basically handed you ending S, you could easily gently caress it up in 2 and I remember some of the last missions in DR1 being pretty tough, I can't see how anyone could get any other ending unless they purposefully failed story missions.

The ending wasn't very satisfying, It was neat seeing Chuck again but it felt kind of forced, little sad you didn't get to see Frank too. The after credits stinger was kind of dumb, Isabela's entire plan was loving dumb, yeah let's kill tens of thousands of people on the off chance that the immune kid happened to live in this city (???). If she knew Nick lived there why didn't she just have him kidnapped or some poo poo augh. I don't think Isabela would ever willingly help Hemlock after what the military did to her village so there was no reason to help set this all in motion. Maybe I misunderstood her conversation with the other lady but it seemed like the infection only happened because of that, not because Hemlock himself orchestrated the idea, he was just made aware of it by the Director. I mean they didn't even know about King Zombies until they started appearing so it's not like the mission from the start was to harvest them. I'm probably thinking too hard about this games plot.

That's a lot of dumb words about a zombie game but there you go.

Edit: Oh yeah I almost forgot, the OST loving blew. DR1 and 2 had hilarious awesome boss themes where all we really have is Jherii's this time around. Way more mad about this than I should be.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Sep 18, 2014

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Some thoughts:

I'm honestly not sure how to feel about this game, I am a huge fan of the DR series and I'm happy a lot of the gloom and doom leading up to release ended up being unfounded (edgy, humorless, etc). But there's some changes I really didn't care for.

1. The bigger map: This bugged me a lot because there's no "central" area like DR1 and 2 had to cut across zones which just artificially made it take longer to go to certain areas. I also didn't like how much of a chore it was to go places in general, I didn't find driving cars around very fun (even combo ones) and with the road blocks and stuff blocking areas I ended up getting really mad at certain points (most notably the final mission). Was also disappointed at the lack of a convict/redneck "persistent" threat, I guess this goes back to there not being a central area in the map you could cut through.

2. Difficulty: The game was really easy, I died twice throughout the entire game, and came close to dying maybe four times. (Died to Red and a random swat dude I never bothered to even carry food with me where I'd usually have at least 1-2 high quality food items in my inventory at all times in 1 and 2. Maybe nightmare would have been more up my alley. The Psychopaths in general were really underwhelming due to this, they just weren't dangerous.

3. Time limit: It basically wasn't there which was dumb, I didn't feel like I was in a rush or hurry at any point besides the last mission. I also beat chapter 7 on day 5, meaning literally 3 days were just buffer time I guess? Stupid. I always liked the time limit, it kept me on my toes and sometimes I was in a situation where I had to choose one or the other when it came to side missions, which gave me more incentive to replay. In this, I never came close to any of the missions even hitting the halfway expire mark.

The game did a lot of things right though, on the fly comboing was a god send and a lot of the weapons were satisfying to use. I guess after thinking about it some more I'd say I enjoyed the game, and the positives outweighed the negatives.

A few more things:
The gently caress was with the worms, what happened to the maggots? I didn't play Case West, but I know that the wheelchair chick was from it, dunno if the two things are related or not.

The ending wasn't very satisfying, It was neat seeing Chuck again but it felt kind of forced, little sad you didn't get to see Frank too. The after credits stinger was kind of dumb, Isabela's entire plan was loving dumb, yeah let's kill tens of thousands of people on the off chance that the immune kid happened to live in this city (???). If she knew Nick lived there why didn't she just have him kidnapped or some poo poo augh. I don't think Isabela would ever willingly help Hemlock after what the military did to her village so there was no reason to help set this all in motion. Maybe I misunderstood her conversation with the other lady but it seemed like the infection only happened because of that, not because Hemlock himself orchestrated the idea, he was just made aware of it by the Doctor. I mean they didn't even know about King Zombies until they started appearing so it's not like the mission from the start was to harvest them. I'm probably thinking too hard about this games plot.

That's a lot of dumb words about a zombie game but there you go.

eh i disagree

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Is it just me or do the Tragic Endings really throw anybody else? We've got butchered corpses all over the city, often in fairly sad situations. We find them, get a little horrified observation from Nick, a brief swell of dramatic piano music... and then the descriptive text almost invariably makes a really cheesy, worn-out joke? The hell?

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Backhand posted:

Is it just me or do the Tragic Endings really throw anybody else? We've got butchered corpses all over the city, often in fairly sad situations. We find them, get a little horrified observation from Nick, a brief swell of dramatic piano music... and then the descriptive text almost invariably makes a really cheesy, worn-out joke? The hell?

It's great isn't it

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I just kinda wish they would've saved the gallows-humor quips over someone's dead body to be reserved for psychopath ending cutscenes. Except we didn't even get that because Nick is such a boring, lukewarm character.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Well here's something I do know : there is no cure... for this!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Angel and Brad's DLC are okay. Adam Kane's has a head-gently caress as an optional mission (you have to deliberately find and infect the safe zones that Nick then has to clear out in the main game) and you get a mini-gun, but is pretty skippable otherwise. Hunter's is just a straight waste of time.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Wanderer posted:

Hunter's is just a straight waste of time.

Hunter's dlc is loving cool. Despite being a huge waste of time compared to the other 3, it had the best characters and best cutscenes. :colbert:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Do I still have to downgrade my Nvidia drivers to play this game without it crashing constantly? I really would like to play it, but not downgrade my drivers play it, you know?

v---: Absolutely absurd Capcom. Pfft.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 15, 2014

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

No, now you need to upgrade them.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/20/7022501/rob-riggle-is-frank-west-in-dead-rising-film

Dead Rising movie in development, stars Frank West and is supposedly an interquel between 2 and 3.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Interesting character development, Frank breaking into acting and also into real life

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Rob Riggle is a pretty good fit for Frank West. Hopefully that means they'll go for the classic DR tone instead of the faux Walking Dead poo poo we got in DR3.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Broseph Brostar posted:

Rob Riggle is a pretty good fit for Frank West. Hopefully that means they'll go for the classic DR tone instead of the faux Walking Dead poo poo we got in DR3.

Yeah, there's no way they're hiring Rob Riggle and not at least putting him in a horse mask, let alone a Borat thong. Sounds like they're doing multiple protagonists, though, so I wonder if they won't let him cut loose on account of having to share the spotlight with three other people.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

At the very least it should be better than Dead Rising Sun. What a weird loving film.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hopefully the other people are Frank West on xbox controller 2, Frank West on xbox controller 3, and Frank West connected overseas via the internet so he has crappy ping. Basically just make everyone important be Frank West.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If they make an off the record spin-off they need to call Dan Akroyd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

CJacobs posted:

Hopefully the other people are Frank West on xbox controller 2, Frank West on xbox controller 3, and Frank West connected overseas via the internet so he has crappy ping. Basically just make everyone important be Frank West.

Frank West

Frank North

Frank South

Frank East

• Locked thread