Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

B...B...BUT YOU'VE hosed THOUSANDS OF MEN! :gonk:

Yeah, it was pretty hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

superjew posted:

I would have liked it better if the guy in front of me didn't laugh heartily at Seligman's line before he gets shot. It twisted the moment for me. Our community theater put it on in two parts separated by a week; is this how it's meant to be viewed? I really would have preferred the full movie with an intermission. It was hard for me to remember details from part I that would have made the ending a little less shocking for me.

I watched it as a long film with an intermission, I can't really see it working otherwise.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

superjew posted:

I would have liked it better if the guy in front of me didn't laugh heartily at Seligman's line before he gets shot. It twisted the moment for me. Our community theater put it on in two parts separated by a week; is this how it's meant to be viewed? I really would have preferred the full movie with an intermission. It was hard for me to remember details from part I that would have made the ending a little less shocking for me.

German release has been one month apart and I think some other countries did it like this as well. The movie is definitely meant to be one long piece, but production decided that it'd make more sense for distribution and theatres to release it as a two-parter. Financially, they have a point. Theatres can show a two hour movie four to five times a day, but four hours will get two showings max and even those have to start quite early so people won't be too tired at the end. Obviously, you also get to charge twice the price of admission.

I've talked to people that worked on the movie and, for them at least, the only "real" version is the 5,5h long LvT-cut that'll hopefully be released as soon as the full version Vol. 2 will have been shown at a festival (it probably won't be Cannes ;) ). Having worked on the Berlinale screening of Vol. 1 (uncut) not even we have heard a single peep about the release of part two. It's finished, but everybody's completely silent on the subject. Which really sucks, because the longer version of Vol. 1 is so much better than the one that has been released world wide.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
Anyone else think that both the narrator and the audience surrogate were lying to one another throughout the movie?

It was so weird, and refreshing. The story being told by an unreliable narrator to an unreliable audience. It's all pointless then isn't it? Really? That said, Joe was far more honest than Seligman. At the end of the day these tales of Joe's guilt and sex life are completely loving pointless, and she admits to that. The framing of her telling her story to Seligman is classic borderline behavior. Having someone's attention, to amuse yourself by draining them emotionally. You can try to project whatever meaning you want onto an empty shells of a human being... But the emptiness they feel inside, is just that, emptiness. Their whole hosed up life is just lashing out trying to find anything to temporarily fills the void in them.

The questions I have, like Skarsgaard had, were with Jerome. The unreliability in Joe's story centers around Jerome. When Shia is replaced by Michael Pas, as "Old Jerome" it really makes me wonder if this was actually a completely new character, and Joe was just a delusional wing-nut at this point in her life, to think that it's her exhusband.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
I didn't think they were really "lying." Like there are definitely blind spots in both of their images of themselves and each other (as the ending makes obvious) but I think it's a lot more likely that the story she tells is essentially true and that Old Jerome was who he was presented to be. I don't really doubt that part in particular at all, especially since characters making surprise return appearances is such a major part of the moralistic 18th century novels von Trier takes his structure from.

In other words I think the opportunity for ambiguity is in the characters' self-justifications and attempted explanations for their actions rather than the actual facts of what happens (with Gainsbourg's cynicism opposing Skarsgard's rational optimism).

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Just finished watching all 5 1/2 hours of the director's cut. I liked how frank it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Just finished watching all 5 1/2 hours of the director's cut. I liked how frank it was.

Frankly a bunch of bullshit!

• Locked thread