Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Darth Various posted:

With apologies to some random goon on IRC:

I always forget that GTA is an European production. God, we worship the U.S. so much.

No Max Payne for Finland though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I think the whole point of GTA (at least in the first games) was a send-up of what British people imagine the US to be like - a crazy gun-infested warscape.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Mister Adequate posted:

I don't see the problem here?

Building a railroad across the ocean is ever so slightly beyond our technical capabilities at the moment.

Anyway, revised maps:

Corrected a few of my own mistakes; removed Imperatriz; reorganized Nigeria so its route isn't such a clusterfuck; simplified a few problem areas (central Russia, southern Brazil, Texas); joined Cairo to Suez because seriously why not; a few other minor improvements. Also removed a lot of cities that were really close together for the sake of making the map more readable.

I'm not sure why I'm doing this.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Alien Arcana posted:

Building a railroad across the ocean is ever so slightly beyond our technical capabilities at the moment.

Anyway, revised maps:

Corrected a few of my own mistakes; removed Imperatriz; reorganized Nigeria so its route isn't such a clusterfuck; simplified a few problem areas (central Russia, southern Brazil, Texas); joined Cairo to Suez because seriously why not; a few other minor improvements. Also removed a lot of cities that were really close together for the sake of making the map more readable.

Importantly, this also gives another way into Australia when playing Risk.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Alien Arcana posted:

Anyway, revised maps:

If I can make a suggestion, I'd connect northern Japan with Russia just before the ocean crossing. Seems there's pretty much no reason not to, and the Japanese would be able to cross the Pacific without going in the opposite direction first.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Mikl posted:

If I can make a suggestion, I'd connect northern Japan with Russia just before the ocean crossing. Seems there's pretty much no reason not to, and the Japanese would be able to cross the Pacific without going in the opposite direction first.

If your doing that you may as well link the northern end of the black line to the same line to allow northern China and Korea the same thing.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Should have some crossings over the arctic as well. Some short distances there that are hard to see due to the projection.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Should have some crossings over the arctic as well. Some short distances there that are hard to see due to the projection.

Don't be silly, trains crossing over the arctic would have their tracks getting iced up all the time. :colbert:

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Great work on the railroad maps there, but as a man from the south western part of Norway, I feel left out. Hook up an oiled up brother with some rails.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
Honestly if I'm going to make a serious attempt at a rail system that makes sense, I may as well dump Mr. Gray's list of stops and start fresh. Maybe all cities above some population threshold, plus any capitals and largest cities of nations that aren't already on the list. Then add additional stops wherever it makes sense to.

Probably should modify my program so it can "zoom in" on places like Europe, China, India, the U.S., and so forth.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

If you start fresh you should start with (some) existing major rail lines and build on that.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yeah I'd definitely include state/provincial/country capital cities in addition to major metropolitan areas (if they aren't the capital), because that would likely happen in a scenario like this. Participating countries would build their own infrastructures first before joining with others - with some exceptions like US routes extending into Canadian border cities, or joint stations with light rail travel for close together cities that don't need a high speed line. Think like a city planner.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
A Honolulu <-> Tokyo route would be a must, we're the #1 tourist destination for Japan and a lot of people fly from Hawaii to Japan regularly as well.

rzeszowianin 44
Feb 21, 2006

Alien Arcana posted:

Anyway, revised maps:

Tokyo-Honolulu would follow the Mid-Pacific Seamounts. This would relieve some of your depth issues in your current version and allow for a direct USA-China connection.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Alien Arcana posted:

I don't see the problem here?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Will the ocean portions be using bridges, pontoons or tunnels?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Tri-Continental should join onto the Northern, as the rail infrastructure in the UK already exists.

Also, I want a train to New York without going through Lancashire. :colbert:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

There are definitely some questionable decisions in those railway networks. For example, if you want to go from southern Libya to northern Libya you have to basically traverse half the length of Africa. And of course the complete lack of any stops in Southern Slavic countries along with Slovakia, Hungary and Romania raises some eyebrows. But perhaps that's by design? :tinfoil:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

TinTower posted:

Also, I want a train to New York without going through Lancashire. :colbert:

Hey gently caress you too buddy. :cheeky:

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

Darth Various posted:

With apologies to some random goon on IRC:

Look, I don't care about Mafia or ARMA, the Czech Republic should be Euro Truck Simulator 2. :colbert:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

BBJoey posted:

There are definitely some questionable decisions in those railway networks. For example, if you want to go from southern Libya to northern Libya you have to basically traverse half the length of Africa. And of course the complete lack of any stops in Southern Slavic countries along with Slovakia, Hungary and Romania raises some eyebrows. But perhaps that's by design? :tinfoil:

There's also no way in hell the NZ to AUS route wouldn't be a straight Auckland to Syndey trip. :colbert:

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction

Oh gently caress yeah the first map in Doom!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What the hell? I've been watching for 3 minutes and it still hasn't turned to dickbutt.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Angela Christine posted:

What the hell? I've been watching for 3 minutes and it still hasn't turned to dickbutt.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

The gently caress is this.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I think it's a map of commercial flights.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Angela Christine posted:

Will the ocean portions be using bridges, pontoons or tunnels?
If only there was a way we could design something like a traincar that could float, or even better fly. But alas.

This a cool thought experient/mapping project, but I seriously hope that Chris Gray guy wasn't seriously advocating building a global rail network because it's logistically retarded.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

freebooter posted:

I think it's a map of commercial flights.

Only two overnight flights in the country? Seems unreasonable. If only there was a title or legend to explain the data being presented!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

Picnic Princess posted:

Only two overnight flights in the country? Seems unreasonable. If only there was a title or legend to explain the data being presented!

This was posted in another thread like two days ago. The guy who made it said it was Southwest, iirc.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Peanut President posted:

This was posted in another thread like two days ago. The guy who made it said it was Southwest, iirc.

Yeah, it has to be a subset as there are a ton of airports missing from this map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I could post them all here, or I could link to the album:
http://imgur.com/gallery/XnhfR

By the way, that gif I made was copied from some video I found, nothing special.

• Locked thread