Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Victis
Mar 26, 2008

All pretty dumb arguments in a universe with ultra-(you could even say unrealistically!) hard alloys and compact reactors that create essentially unlimited power. That's even disregarding all the technobabble stuff like Minovsky particles to try explain why space robots engage in melee combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Victis posted:

All pretty dumb arguments in a universe with ultra-(you could even say unrealistically!) hard alloys and compact reactors that create essentially unlimited power. That's even disregarding all the technobabble stuff like Minovsky particles to try explain why space robots engage in melee combat.

Of course in reality you could just make a rail gun using said ultra hard alloy then power it with the reactor and shoot the other guy with a depleted uranium slug going 20-30 times the speed of sound. At that point it almost doesn't matter what the other mech is made of, its dead before it can get within a mile of you, more if your on open ground.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vorpal Cat posted:

Of course in reality you could just make a rail gun using said ultra hard alloy then power it with the reactor and shoot the other guy with a depleted uranium slug going 20-30 times the speed of sound. At that point it almost doesn't matter what the other mech is made of, its dead before it can get within a mile of you, more if your on open ground.

This was the premise of one of the episodes of MS IGLOO.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
No matter how much money you invest, nothing can compare to the power of psychic teenagers in special prototype mecha.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

Victis posted:

With ultra-(you could even say unrealistically!) hard alloys and compact reactors that create essentially unlimited power. The first thing you should do is make a drill or a boomerang
I didn't caption this, but it seems pretty relevant.

BlitzBlast posted:

No matter how much money you invest, nothing can compare to the power of psychic teenagers in special prototype mecha.
Psychic teenagers linked into a giant future predicting machine! :science:
(Minority report)

gyger
Feb 19, 2010

Samuel posted:

Is this a screenshot from a Gundam series? Which one?

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Yes. And if it's ridiculously awesome and/or stupid, it's probably from G Gundam. AKA the best one.

I love how accomplished the mission control guys look in that picture. "Yeah, this plan is coming together perfectly."

Edit: Oh hey, finally posted in this thread. Been reading a while, and loving every minute of it. Thanks for showing off this gem, Tobias.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

gyger posted:

Is this a screenshot from a Gundam series? Which one?

It's from G Gundam. G Gundam is basically a goofy super robot show masquerading as a Gundam series and deviates heavily from the standard Universal Century stuff this game has been covering but for all that it's one of the best Gundam series there is.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Kanos posted:

goofy super robot show
it's one of the best Gundam series there is.

Windmill Gundam!

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
They made 40 of those things.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Samuel posted:

Fun fact, G isn't actually the first Gundam series to do something like that.

Crossbone Gundam is.

Yes, it actually originated back in UC.

In fact, if you look close at the G Gundam pic again, the Crossbone X-1 is among those launching, along with the RX-78 and others.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Nages posted:

They made 40 of those things.

To be fair they may as well be made from recycled wood pulp from clogs for how easily it gets beaten.

Gundam wiki posted:

For the 13th Gundam Fight, Neo Holland took an interesting strategic approach to get to the Finals: not participating at all in the Gundam Fight. To accomplish this, the Nether Gundam was designed as a transforming mobile suit that could become a windmill, which is what it did for 11 months.

By hiding out and not fighting anyone, pilot Paul Bauhoben technically qualified for the Finals. However, this devious tactic could not make up for his poor skills as a fighter. Though the Nether Gundam was armed with mega beam cannons and possessed the ultimate attack Nether Typhoon, it was simply inferior to everything else. In every match he fought, Paul was quickly and easily defeated by his superior opponents. His first known opponent was George de Sand, piloting the GF13-009NF Gundam Rose, early in the Finals.

G Gundam is amazing.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

G Gundam is basically ... one of the best Gundam series there is.

Goddamn Right it is. It doesn't have a Char or a Ramba Ral or much more of the trope bullshit the others do.

Anyway how is the Nemo in this game? Always had a soft spot for that suit.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

To be fair they may as well be made from recycled wood pulp from clogs for how easily it gets beaten.

G Gundam is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq5-yH4H_NE

:allears:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I do have to wonder how well a fleet of MP Nether Gundams would do in the assault on Jaburo.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Nether Gundam's failing was the pilot.

Put a decent pilot in it and you have the G Gundam version of Psyco Gundam.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

Herr Tog posted:

I never used it myself, but they don't seem too good.

For it's time it's pretty durable, it builds in one turn unlike many later AEUG MS, and it gets Dodai (but so does every other non-transforming MS). In terms of money they only cost as much as GM Sniper 2s, so if you're not short on Resources you can go nuts with them if you want. That said, they're still too expensive to be considered expendable. I guess I would advise using them as the front for Sniper 2 or Rick Dias stacks, anything with low HP/no shield that you don't want to get into melee. On that note, I also can't really advise using Rick Dias.

They're debateably better (stronger?) than Nemos, at a hefty mark up. Range 1-2 but no shield, 2 turn build and less accuracy. Honestly, AEUG have a really rough start.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Herr Tog posted:

Goddamn Right it is. It doesn't have a Char or a Ramba Ral or much more of the trope bullshit the others do.

Uhhhhh....

Schwarz is your Char analogue and there's like five different characters who fit the Ramba Ral "noble bad guy" archetype.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

Uhhhhh....

Never as frequently or as overtly as UC poo poo

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
G Gundam was pretty drat racist and is super overrated, hth

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh I never said it wasnt terrible.
It, in typical bad movie style, loops its way right back into awesome.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Small Frozen Thing posted:

hating G Gundam for being racist is like hating a puppy for pissing on the carpet; yeah it's wrong, but it just looks so happy doing it that you can't stay mad at them.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Its a cartoon from Japan. It is racist inherently.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

TheFlyingLlama posted:

hating G Gundam for being racist is like hating a puppy for pissing on the carpet; yeah it's wrong, but it just looks so happy doing it that you can't stay mad at them.

I don't hate it, but boy do some episodes make me feel icky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.
Sorry to have to do this, but I'm going to lock this thread until I feel like I can get back to work on this LP. I just can't get enough motivation to spend hours looking at screenshots and trying to write something interesting that isn't just "Here's robot X blowing up robot Y."

If I don't unlock this thread by the end of the year, than consider this LP dead.

• Locked thread