Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Down throw is generally his best throw, yes. If they don't DI, or if they DI away and their weight is in a particular sweet-spot (closer to heavies), then you can follow up with another grab pretty easily. If they DI up or toward, you can hit them with a uair/nair/whatever you feel like.

I've seen some decent use for up throw against characters with high fall speeds (Fox, Falco, Lucas) at lower percents, because it generally pops them up higher than dthrow does and the hitstun is just enough to force them to tech rather than act before they land, overall giving you more time to react to whatever they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

More requests for videos: Mario and in particular Ness, as he's my favourite and I can't seem to find anything with him in, I suspect because he's overshadowed by Lucas. As far as Mario goes, I've seen a fair bit of HBox playing him but I wouldn't mind a bit more.

Also, on a different note, I was playing a bit of Mario vs (CPU) Ike, and at one point I got hit with the top of Aether when stage guarding and it nearly KO-ed off the top of the screen at like 2%. I haven't been able to replicate it, but I thought it was weird enough that it was worth mentioning?

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

On the off chance that you aren't aware of it this thread has a bunch of great videos.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
A friend of mine uses Ness, and another uses both Ness and Mario.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Aston posted:

Also, on a different note, I was playing a bit of Mario vs (CPU) Ike, and at one point I got hit with the top of Aether when stage guarding and it nearly KO-ed off the top of the screen at like 2%. I haven't been able to replicate it, but I thought it was weird enough that it was worth mentioning?

Yeah this is A Thing, I have a feeling it was put in place because otherwise it's really easy to edgeguard/gimp Ike. I haven't found the "sweet spot" to trigger it, but it definitely happens regularly.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Yeah this is A Thing, I have a feeling it was put in place because otherwise it's really easy to edgeguard/gimp Ike. I haven't found the "sweet spot" to trigger it, but it definitely happens regularly.

I think it has something to do with Aether being a multihit move. Like normally you should just get caught in it like a meat grinder, but if you manage to manipulate the hitboxes in some weird way it just sends you ridiculously far.

For fun, try cancelling it into something else in Turbo Mode.

Aston posted:

More requests for videos: Mario and in particular Ness, as he's my favourite and I can't seem to find anything with him in, I suspect because he's overshadowed by Lucas. As far as Mario goes, I've seen a fair bit of HBox playing him but I wouldn't mind a bit more.

Here's a couple I think showcase the characters well:

Mario:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pIpnIQXtHs

Ness:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5zDnxViNLM
It's an outdated version, but the character and strategy are pretty much the same. (God I miss the Nikita)

The main Ness technique you need to know is double jump cancelling. It's pretty easy and just depends on if you're still holding the jump button when you attack.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

A big TY for this. Currently getting everything setup right now. That being said..

Fellow M Smashers! Are any of you goony goons playing The Best Game Ever™ online with Dolphin? I would love to have a group to dish it out with online for it is impossible for all of us to JV each other locally.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I have random fps issues but the game generally works alright, add me on steam if you wanna get your smash on

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/countblanc

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Good stuff. Was gonna suggest Steam as well to communicate

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ayeayeaye

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Countblanc posted:

I have random fps issues but the game generally works alright, add me on steam if you wanna get your smash on

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/countblanc

I'll add you too, I want to see what your specs/configs are that get a decent frame rate.

Shadic
Sep 26, 2013

'sup.

Alternative costumes shown off. Also All-Star Versus Mode is a thing. Switch characters every stock. Pretty fun.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Still teasing us with #47 I see.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
bumping cuz i need more people to play with

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

New costume: Dark Metaknight.

See more images here.

And... in an effort to get people to actually play Turbo Mode, there's this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEZl7Kfb838

F. Lobot fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 15, 2014

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
The only thing that made me sad about this mod was that they got rid of Game and Watch's parachute on the Up+B. I have no idea why they did it, but honestly it just kinda kills me on the muscle memory.

"Oh, I'll make this recovery, the parachute gives me great horizontal-" *EXPLODES*

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
When I tried playing online with the 3.0 full set it still worked after WFC was shut down, sort of. But when I upgraded to 3.02 wifi-safe it just gave me a message that wifi was no longer available.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nintendo shut down the servers for Wii games, so I don't think you can play PM online anymore.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sire Oblivion posted:

Nintendo shut down the servers for Wii games, so I don't think you can play PM online anymore.
People are running their own servers.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Endorph posted:

People are running their own servers.

Do we have a goon server for this?

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
I was just confused at why there was an alternate server for 3.0, but it was taken out in 3.02.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

Do we have a goon server for this?

It's not that kind of server, just the same friend code system as before.

Caithness posted:

I was just confused at why there was an alternate server for 3.0, but it was taken out in 3.02.

I don't see why 3.0 would work with the new servers because it came out long before Nintendo WFC even shut down. Same with 3.02.

I haven't looked into it but I believe using the new servers requires extra files. I assume in 3.5 it will be set up by default.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

In the meantime, you can use dolphin netplay with 3.02 and this version of dolphin.

You use a tool to turn a brawl iso into a project m iso, and from there you just launch that with dolphin's netplay mode.

There's a reddit post with details on where to get the iso builder as well as how to use it here, but obviously you're on your own when it comes to getting a brawl iso.

Lucky Raccoon
Aug 17, 2006

Let's put on our classics and have a little dance shall we?
So I was talking to a dude who is part of the PMBR this weekend who couldn't help himself in telling me some poo poo. This is all very much "Uncle who works at Atari" kind of info that I have no way to confirm, but 3.5 is due out in around two weeks and will see 4 new characters. That 'leaked' Sami model from Advance Wars is totally real and is going to be in the next build. I know nothing about how the newcomers will play though.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Lucky Raccoon posted:

So I was talking to a dude who is part of the PMBR this weekend who couldn't help himself in telling me some poo poo. This is all very much "Uncle who works at Atari" kind of info that I have no way to confirm, but 3.5 is due out in around two weeks and will see 4 new characters. That 'leaked' Sami model from Advance Wars is totally real and is going to be in the next build. I know nothing about how the newcomers will play though.

If you're lying, I will personally cut your throat from ear to ear.

Lucky Raccoon
Aug 17, 2006

It's what I was told in between lots of stuff about nerfs and buffs. He could have been loving with me, but he gave me a lot of info about changes to my main that seem totally legit and believable. Who knows?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Four characters is a ludicrous amount considering the furthest along they were a few months ago was getting the results screen to show "Rayquaza" as the game winner. Maybe I'm wrong though. Either way, I'd rather 3.5 just come out because the new ledge changes and character changes are going to be super cool.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

I've also heard that they're kinda understaffed for animators. As you may guess, a new character takes a lot of animation work.

Unless the 4 new characters are all clones, which would be a shame.

Lucky Raccoon
Aug 17, 2006

F. Lobot posted:

I've also heard that they're kinda understaffed for animators. As you may guess, a new character takes a lot of animation work.

Unless the 4 new characters are all clones, which would be a shame.

Alright it's probably super horseshit. The same dude just told me that 3.5 wouldn't contain any of the new characters but 4.0 would be out in December and would have Knuckles, Sami, Isaac and Lyn. gently caress that dude he's full of poo poo. This is unlocking Tails in Melee levels of suspension of disbelief.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That dude needs to learn to keep his lies small. One character I could buy. 4 is silly.

Also, all the others are assist trophies, so why not Shadow instead of Knuckles?

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Endorph posted:

That dude needs to learn to keep his lies small. One character I could buy. 4 is silly.

Also, all the others are assist trophies, so why not Shadow instead of Knuckles?

Knuckles' character model exists as part of the background in the Sonic stage, so it would be just as easy to use him as a base for a character; on top of that, he has more options for a moveset unique from Sonic's than Shadow without requiring the creation of too many new animations. Also, Sami is a regular trophy, not an assist trophy; I think you're thinking of Saki. Sami is one of the female COs from Advance Wars.

EDIT: The former point is also why I'd doubt Isaac more than any of those, because they would have to create animations for his Earth psynergy (because seriously, you can't have a Golden Sun rep who doesn't use psynergy) and every new object takes time, and lots of it.

CeallaSo fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 22, 2014

Lucky Raccoon
Aug 17, 2006

Nah, I was told Sami from Advance Wars. There was a leaked model purportedly made by a member of the PMDT earlier this year. They claimed it was something the artist made on his own and after he'd ceased work on PM, but a part of me still held out hope that response was smoke and mirrors.

I still feel silly for buying into it, but the last two design blogposts give me hope that 3.5 is going to revolutionize the game even without a bunch of new fanservice characters.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Please let me know if one of the new characters is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHbUpa6-XZs

jneen
Feb 8, 2014

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Where the gently caress do I order that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucky Raccoon
Aug 17, 2006

This is the link I found.

• Locked thread