Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
edit: nevermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Since James isn't updating at the moment, I will. The 2002 roared back to life the other day with 2 issues. The first is that the moment it fired, throttle went to WOT and the engine raced up to 7K. Any thoughts on what could be causing this? I'm going back this afternoon to start tinkering, but aside from a loose wire somewhere (like the TPS) I'm stumped.
Second big issue is that it looks like the profile gasket failed somewhere BEHIND the timing chain. Filled up the radiator, and the engine promptly shat it all back out. :smith: This is what happens when an old car sits for almost 2 years.
There's also a spot of rust damage that needs to be fixed before I take it on the road again.
The engine issue may be a pretty big concern. When he saw the location of the leak, James suggested we take the M20 drivetrain out of the Spec E30 car and put it into the 2002. Apparently it's a straightforward swap, so there may be some updates coming soon...

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

McMadCow posted:

Since James isn't updating at the moment, I will. The 2002 roared back to life the other day with 2 issues. The first is that the moment it fired, throttle went to WOT and the engine raced up to 7K. Any thoughts on what could be causing this? I'm going back this afternoon to start tinkering, but aside from a loose wire somewhere (like the TPS) I'm stumped.

Is the 2002 still carbed or has it been engine swapped? That sounds like a runaway lean condition if its still carbed. Check the fuel.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

8ender posted:

Is the 2002 still carbed or has it been engine swapped? That sounds like a runaway lean condition if its still carbed. Check the fuel.

Nah, it's got an M42 in there now. From a 91 E30 318is. So it's fuel injected and 4 remote coils, modern aside for it's still OBD1. There was a project thread for it in 2012/13 but it's disappeared now. If you have archives it was called, "Good Guys Wear Plaid".

I got back into the garage today and started poking around again. Started under the hood and unplugged and re-seated a few connections including the TPS. Started it back up and it didn't blast up to WOT, but it's surging a bit and hunting for a good idle and the throttle is way too responsive. Well, it's a start. If we manage to plug the coolant leak this thing may venture out into the wild yet again...

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Don't do the m20 swap, even if the M42 is being a dick.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

OP is dead or in jail.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

OP is dead or in jail.

If he's anything like his namesake I'm betting on cocaine.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
One last hopeful bump to keep this out of the archives.... OP come back, we love you!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

meatpimp posted:

Note that just because they are holes, doesn't necessarily mean that they are drilled. The high-end rotors are cast in place and chamfered to relieve stress and minimize cracking. I know that you can look and see on dad's E90 M3 the casting marks on the inside of the holes and I saw a story a while back about the ridiculous casting procedure Porsche goes through with their carbon rotors.

Weren't there a lot of reports of GT3 RS' rotors cracking at the track? It may have been other models too, but I thought that Porsche's carbon drilled rotors were cracking. This wasn't recently though, so they may have made changes.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MomJeans420 posted:

Weren't there a lot of reports of GT3 RS' rotors cracking at the track? It may have been other models too, but I thought that Porsche's carbon drilled rotors were cracking. This wasn't recently though, so they may have made changes.

I know the non Carbon rotors will all crack at the track - Porsche has a 7mm crack length spec for replacement.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He's never coming back, he got shot in the season finale of Ray Donovan.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The aliens got him :tinfoil:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3651219&userid=39253

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Man, I saw some new activity and got excited for a second. Why did you leave us James Woods

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
The star that burns the brightest...

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

meatpimp posted:

Note that just because they are holes, doesn't necessarily mean that they are drilled. The high-end rotors are cast in place and chamfered to relieve stress and minimize cracking. I know that you can look and see on dad's E90 M3 the casting marks on the inside of the holes and I saw a story a while back about the ridiculous casting procedure Porsche goes through with their carbon rotors.

I don't think surface area is the primary issue with performance braking, it's more heat dissipation. (There's enough braking energy to lock up the wheels even with smaller rotors on most cars, once or twice... but after 30 minutes, you're talking an entirely different set of parameters.)

The holes are most likely drilled. There are a few other ways of fabricating them but that's most likely how they're done. Heating the poo poo out of LSI processed CMC brakes is not going to be a problem. They can withstand ~1000*C for short periods in oxidative environments.

Sorry to give you all hope about him updating the thread.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 10, 2014

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Yes OP is still alive, he's just been extremely busy. I will likely be sharing some shop space with him on a new project in a couple months.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Whats up bay area buddies?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Das Volk posted:

Yes OP is still alive, he's just been extremely busy. I will likely be sharing some shop space with him on a new project in a couple months.

Are you back in the states? I've lost track of a lot of old AI regulars.

What do you think of the new M3/M4?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Are you back in the states? I've lost track of a lot of old AI regulars.

What do you think of the new M3/M4?

Yeah I moved home early last year. A good number of AI folks have moved to the bay area over the past few years. I've been spending my time making the Virginia City Hillclimb event work better, namely by creating a website and setting up electronic registration.

The new M car is very fast, but it lacks the entertainment value of the NA cars that preceded it, and the exhaust note is downright awful. The EPS feels weird and the car seems immensely complex, I might wait for an M2 or an LCI before I consider adding to the collection, if at all.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Do you go to any bay area car stuff? I drive 84/Skyline area/Stage rd pretty often but don't know of any car meets in the peninsula or south bay

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

CarForumPoster posted:

Do you go to any bay area car stuff? I drive 84/Skyline area/Stage rd pretty often but don't know of any car meets in the peninsula or south bay

There's the Concours this weekend, I'll be there at the Concours d' Lemons but only for part of the day.

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

CarForumPoster posted:

Generally there is something to do every weekend, of which you'll see me and my ratty mustang there for at least a few hours.

Depending on what you want to see you can go anywhere from exotic crowds to import to American muscle.

Off the top of my head...

SF Cars and Coffee @ Pier 32 September 6th, Saturday 8am-11am
Cars and Caffeine @ SJ Club Auto Sport Sept 13th, Oct 11th 8:30-1
Cars and Croissants @ Santa Cruz Ave, Menlo Park Sept 6th, Oct 4th, Nov 1st, Dec 6th 9a-12p
Cars and Croissants @ Santana Row, SJ August 23rd, Sept 27th, Oct 25th, Nov 22nd, Dec 27th 9a-12p
Cars and Coffee @ Blackhawk Plaza, Danville CA, First sunday of every month, 8am-10
Cars and Coffee @ Canepa, Scotts Valley, CA 8am-12pm on the second Saturday of the month through October

If I'm forgetting something its probably not worth going to or too outside the SF Bay area.

e: Let's not forget late night meets 9-12 at Milpitas Ranch 99 Square/San Bruno Starbucks/Fremont Auto Mall used by the following local brand groups for Lotus, S2000, South Bay VW/Audi and general tuners such as Inspire, Canibeat, BecauseBags, LoweredStandards and others.

bowling 4 buttcoins fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 16, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

bowling 4 buttcoins posted:

Generally there is something to do every weekend, of which you'll see me and my ratty mustang there for at least a few hours.

Depending on what you want to see you can go anywhere from exotic crowds to import to American muscle.

Cars and Croissants @ Santa Cruz Ave, Menlo Park Sept 6th, Oct 4th, Nov 1st, Dec 6th 9a-12p
Cars and Croissants @ Santana Row, SJ August 23rd, Sept 27th, Oct 25th, Nov 22nd, Dec 27th 9a-12p
Cars and Coffee @ Blawkhawk Plaza, Danville CA, First sunday of every month, 8am-10
Cars and Coffee @ Canepa, Scotts Valley, CA 8am-12pm on the second Saturday of the month through October

If I'm forgetting something its probably not worth going to or too outside the SF Bay area.

You guys sure do like coffee. :raise:

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

bowling 4 buttcoins posted:

Cars and Coffee @ Blawkhawk Plaza, Danville CA, First sunday of every month, 8am-10

Thanks for this. I work in San Ramon, so I'll definitely have to check out the one in Danville. One of these days I should check out the Blackhawk museum as well.

KillHour posted:

You guys sure do like coffee. :raise:
Coffee is awesome (When it's done right, anyway).

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
The Blackhawk museum is cool as hell. I know right where the one in Menlo is, I am not too far north. Thanks!

The lat night meats in Fremont, when are they usually?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I vote we all start building Koenigseggs and Bentleys out of discarded shop supplies around a crudely constructed eighth mile track built out of rocks and dead tires in the hopes that one day James Woods returns

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

CarForumPoster posted:

The Blackhawk museum is cool as hell. I know right where the one in Menlo is, I am not too far north. Thanks!

The lat night meats in Fremont, when are they usually?

Really it depends on the police presence. I'd hop on #ai irc.syncirc.net and see whats up that night as a bunch of AI goons are in the SF South Bay as it seems.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Sweet! Thanks.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

I vote we all start building Koenigseggs and Bentleys out of discarded shop supplies around a crudely constructed eighth mile track built out of rocks and dead tires in the hopes that one day James Woods returns

James Woods will return just before Christmas. That is when he came to us. He is the AI Santa Claus.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Don't be dead, James Woods. We need to know more about your daily driver.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I'm going to be a boring person and post only pics in this thread of one kind of car. I didn't get that many of this one because we were trying to get it prepped and to the owner ASAP. Also because it attracted about a billion people and we were trying not to encourage the wannabe paparazzi. We're supposed to get another one pretty soon. I'll try to get some more then.

I had to crop out my goober co-workers face here,sorry.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hoooooly poo poo. Please tell me you got to drive that. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

No, I didn't get to drive it unfortunately. Another tech PDI'd it and off to detail and then to it's home. Next one I'll try to get better pics. There was seriously a crowd standing right outside the door the entire time it was in the shop. My coworker was getting hella annoyed and I just snapped a few quick and let him and the annoying lookie loos be.

• Locked thread