Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Argue posted:

This is Tribulation with Gary Busey and it was the first time I learned about the Rapture; I was still Catholicish at the time and actually thought the movie was some ghastly caricature of Christianity made by people who weren't Christian, since early on in the movie a character says "it's called The Rapture and every Christian in the world believes it".

By his standards of who's a true Christian and who's papist reptilian Devil-worshiper, they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

cptn_dr posted:

Isn't one part of fundamentalist dogma that nobody knows when the rapture will arrive? So the old lady would have had to spend her life with a note pinned to her chest, just in case, so that whenever the Rapture arrived she would be prepared.

The Rapture goes by time zones, so she could have seen reports on TV of all the people in Europe spontaneously combusting and been forewarned.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Lol, under "did you know"
"The film takes place in 2030."
that's it

I love all these movies about the evil atheist government persecuting Christians considering how many government positions and states have laws which pretty much exclude atheists from holding office.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 23, 2017

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

This isn't completely within the scope of the thread, but I just want to highlight the Trapped trilogy of Newgrounds games, which are very overtly Christian while still being relentlessly immoral.

And I don't mean in the sense that the characters in God's Not Dead are behaving immorally if you don't accept their worldview, I mean that the games are about terrible people being nasty to each other, with rampant murder and revenge. The trilogy ends with the heroine locking the villain in a safe and throwing it in the ocean, not out of self-defense, but purely as an act of cold-blooded murder. Nonetheless, in the first game, a character mentions that he isn't a christian and this is foreshadowing that he's the eventual villain.

It's just so demented, like, I can only imagine it's the kind of stuff you'd make if you were raised in a strongly Subculture Christian environment, but still really liked mainstream media and wanted to make some of your own.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DStecks posted:

This isn't completely within the scope of the thread, but I just want to highlight the Trapped trilogy of Newgrounds games, which are very overtly Christian while still being relentlessly immoral.

And I don't mean in the sense that the characters in God's Not Dead are behaving immorally if you don't accept their worldview, I mean that the games are about terrible people being nasty to each other, with rampant murder and revenge. The trilogy ends with the heroine locking the villain in a safe and throwing it in the ocean, not out of self-defense, but purely as an act of cold-blooded murder. Nonetheless, in the first game, a character mentions that he isn't a christian and this is foreshadowing that he's the eventual villain.

It's just so demented, like, I can only imagine it's the kind of stuff you'd make if you were raised in a strongly Subculture Christian environment, but still really liked mainstream media and wanted to make some of your own.

Hahaha these games are loving bonkers and the Retsupurae of them is beautiful. (I'm on mobile, not sure if that's what you linked.)

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

DStecks posted:

It's really not. People i knew who didn't run screaming from secular things tended to be insanely averse to violence on a fundamental level that i couldn't begin appreciate as a later in life convert. It was actually more offputting than the sex aversion when you have people wanting to walk out of a tense scene with a gun in loving north central Texas

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Hahaha these games are loving bonkers and the Retsupurae of them is beautiful. (I'm on mobile, not sure if that's what you linked.)

It is.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

basic hitler posted:

It's really not. People i knew who didn't run screaming from secular things tended to be insanely averse to violence on a fundamental level that i couldn't begin appreciate as a later in life convert. It was actually more offputting than the sex aversion when you have people wanting to walk out of a tense scene with a gun in loving north central Texas

You are going to have to rewrite some of that because I can barely parse it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

He's saying that the Newgrounds games DStecks linked aren't very representative of American Christianity because your average middle-class church goer has a strong aversion to violent media, even if they are otherwise fine with secular fiction.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Sorry there, samuel clemens is right in my experiences and i had a spiritual crisis that saw me stop and meet people from charity thrift shop churches in Dallas to WASP dens in west plano to weird freaky pentecostals that gave me a crisis of faith in North Carolina. Cool black Baptist churches in Texas and Mississippii. I still know lots of people and those who dont totally denounce non-Christian oriented media, are very much extremely sin averse and thats not just sexual portrayals but portrayals of acts of violence

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
and here I thought pantsuits were the devil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

He's saying that the Newgrounds games DStecks linked aren't very representative of American Christianity because your average middle-class church goer has a strong aversion to violent media, even if they are otherwise fine with secular fiction.

And I can't disagree because that's the point I was trying to make, that Trapped for some reason chooses to belong to a culture whose values it doesn't really buy into.

I'm trying to put into words just why it's so weird. It's like, subculture Christian media exists because of certain values that subculture Christians want their media to have or not have, and Trapped has the additional signifiers that identify it as belonging to subculture Christianity, but it doesn't seem aware of the unstated values that are the actual reason why that media exists.

To give a concrete example of what I'm trying to get at, in the Left Behind books, all of the main characters are adult converts to Christianity, because everyone who isn't has been raptured. Nonetheless, the two main characters have still lived nearly spotless lives, and not because the point is that they were good people who just weren't Christian, but because the idea of the protagonists having been morally compromised wouldn't be palatable to Left Behind's primary audience. They can't handle the notion of fiction not being morally instructive in the most simplistic ways (much like they can't handle the idea of the Bible not being morally instructive in the most simplistic ways), which is why they create media where they don't have to think about whether the characters' actions are good, they can simply Know that the hero is good and therefore everything he does is good. Trapped throws this, possibly the single most defining element of subculture Christian media, right out the window.

• Locked thread