Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Kacie posted:

And as always, super curious about Art's background.

berryjon dropped some more blatant hints this time around. I'll refrain from calling them out in specific so he can enjoy his foreshadowing. :) But while Art is tightlipped about her background, her behavior can give herself away from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

berryjon dropped some more blatant hints this time around. I'll refrain from calling them out in specific so he can enjoy his foreshadowing. :) But while Art is tightlipped about her background, her behavior can give herself away from time to time.

I was too subtle in E1, a bit too obvious in E2, and in E3, I already have plans for [INSERT PC NAME HERE] to comment "Wait, did she really just imply what I think she implied?" when talking to... the person in charge of the location farthest from the starting point.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
It's been a hell of a ride! I'll add to the chorus of thanks for another awesome LP.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Thanks for doing these great Lets Plays, and finally inspiring me to finish the first two games!

I hope you'll let us know here when the third one goes up, if it isn't in archives by then!

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

berryjon posted:

I did Homeworld 2. Anything is an improvement from there.

If nothing else, at least Deserts of Kharak isn't boring to look at, and the story almost CAN'T be dryer than Homeworld 2: at the very least, I can't wait to learn the first expedition is the main antagonist who the main antagonists will be.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

berryjon posted:

I was too subtle in E1, a bit too obvious in E2, and in E3, I already have plans for [INSERT PC NAME HERE] to comment "Wait, did she really just imply what I think she implied?" when talking to... the person in charge of the location farthest from the starting point.

I wouldn't say that E1 was too subtle; I actually got more out of it in terms of Art's history than in E2, but I know the plot of E1 better than E2 while not having played either for well over a decade. The two things that I remember from E1 are:

WARNING - MASSIVE loving SPOILERS

Art served in the Empire military forces, probably as an officer of some rank, and she has a child somewhere as well as perhaps a (former) spouse.

I will rereader both LPs back-to-back once this one hits the archives; maybe I will learn more.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Another awesome LP, though sacrilegious as it may be to say in this thread I'm glad you're putting 3 on hold to check out the new Homeworld game. Hopefully it will be an improvement on 2, but considering I was able to survive watching that one LPed I expect even a bad HW:DoK will be enjoyable to see played.

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012

thetruegentleman posted:

If nothing else, at least Deserts of Kharak isn't boring to look at, and the story almost CAN'T be dryer than Homeworld 2: at the very least, I can't wait to learn the first expedition is the main antagonist who the main antagonists will be.

So you're saying Homeworld 2 is even dryer than the Deserts of Kharak? Wow, that must be pretty dry. :cheeky:

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Another really well written LP. Thanks for it!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Guys, could I ask you politely, if you wouldn't mind just giving my posts a once-over to try and see if there are any things I missed on the editing pass? I want to make sure I don't mess up before I ask Baldurk to Archive this.

Please, and thank you.

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009

quote:

Aarth-Tss heard this and sighed, a *clam* center in the storm. She was right, from the beginning. Legends are. They are not created or made, they simply exist in of themselves.

I spotted that one. Yay, I got to contribute finally!
Also, congratuations on finishing this LP. I had a lot of fun playing this series way back when.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

berryjon posted:

Guys, could I ask you politely, if you wouldn't mind just giving my posts a once-over to try and see if there are any things I missed on the editing pass? I want to make sure I don't mess up before I ask Baldurk to Archive this.

Please, and thank you.

You missed some formatting and LP-specific tags, "?" your posts and search for square brackets (both sides to be sure, there are probably some damaged tags).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good lord, how much magic did that guy have? Did he have a giant novelty beer hat full of energy potions?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Glazius posted:

Good lord, how much magic did that guy have? Did he have a giant novelty beer hat full of energy potions?

It's a lot. Worth noting though that the whole "immune to blades" thing NPC's tell you is actually bull. He has high physical defenses but you CAN beat him down with physical attacks and Wound.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Can't Demonslayer hurt him, or is that the remake?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

wiegieman posted:

Can't Demonslayer hurt him, or is that the remake?

Re-Remake. Possibly the Remake too. I forget.

Jeff is pretty good in allowing some weird character choices to still reach the endgame, 1 member party runs of the game are a thing (Singletons seems the fanterm). And there's ways around needed many spells, phoenix egg for the required quickfire to get one crystal soul, piercing crystals for weaker barriers (still lose out on some optional loot), pummelling Garzahd the hard way.

Actually, I think wayway back when I played Exile2, I had trouble because I couldn't reliably win Mindduels with him, so cheated in a pile of shielding crystals. But I also have a very clear (but quite possibly false) memory of the fight being in much smaller boxier room. Memories are weird.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

The Comedy Option for dealing with Garzahd:

Trigger the Battle, back out of the room.
Cast Quickfire in the room.
Cast Fire/Force Barrier to seal off the room.
Go to one side to minimize the AI's chances to blasting through the barrier you set up.
Wait.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'm trying to remember what the reremake fight is like...they do make a big deal about how you need Demonslayer to pierce his defenses, but as I recall you can get through with other weapons, they just aren't as effective. And spells work just fine. I seem to remember the fight's supposed to be him continually summoning in new lackeys, but either I managed to manipulate the summoning somehow to keep a lid on the battle (it might have involved trapping the summons on the wrong side of a wall or the like), or else I just blitzed him down so quickly it didn't matter -- either way the fight was unexpectedly easy.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I think it might be more that Demonslayer lowers his defenses for X turns each time it hits. Endgame enemies have so much damage resistance (which I think is flat % in Avernum?) I'm not sure how easy it would be to notice. Plus of course, if your usual plan is "Everyone has Adrenaline Rush" and "I actually use items like scrolls of Speed Burst" it might be much easier. I should reload A:CS and see what endings I actually reached.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I'm trying to remember what the reremake fight is like...

What? No plans to do A2:CS? Follow in my footsteps?

I kid! I kid!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

berryjon posted:

What? No plans to do A2:CS? Follow in my footsteps?

I kid! I kid!

No plans. I had considered maybe taking a look at Avernum 4, but I'd need to replay it first to see how appropriate it is, and of course any LP of that would spoil what happens in Exile 3, so it'll have to wait in any case.

Plus, I don't know if you've noticed but making these things is a lot of work! :v:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Plus, I don't know if you've noticed but making these things is a lot of work! :v:

It stops being work when you love what you're doing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Okay, it's a significant time and energy commitment then.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

berryjon posted:

The Comedy Option for dealing with Garzahd:

Trigger the Battle, back out of the room.
Cast Quickfire in the room.
Cast Fire/Force Barrier to seal off the room.
Go to one side to minimize the AI's chances to blasting through the barrier you set up.
Wait.

..isn't that how you accidentally killed him the first time? It would have been kind of fitting to do it to him again.

: "Welcome. I hope you've...a barrier? You think that will save- oh. Quickfire. Again. Wait why aren't my wards fire :supaburn: OH GODS THE PAIN!"

Edit: Seriously though, imagine the terrorist implications the Quickfire spell would create; it's basically a nuke any mage can learn through hard work and a little luck.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

thetruegentleman posted:

Edit: Seriously though, imagine the terrorist implications the Quickfire spell would create; it's basically a nuke any mage can learn through hard work and a little luck.

Well, when you're not limited to death penalty but can trap and torture a mage's spirit for long enough for them to lose most of their identity except suffering, terrorism kinda loses its charm. No 72 virgins or anything :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I just thought it was funny to imagine the video as you shoving Garzhad into the corner and smacking him whenever he tries to concentrate for the Mind Duel.

• Locked thread