Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

ashpanash posted:

I'm sure Yahoo would love to stream it worldwide, but for various reasons, contracts, unions, other dumb rights issues, they probably can't, at least not right away.

I'm very aware of how convoluted international broadcast rights can get, but from everything I understand there are no rights issues at all with Community S6: Yahoo owns it worldwide lock stock and barrel.

I find it very irritating, not because it's going to be even a tiny inconvenience to me to watch the show, but because I want to reward Yahoo for doing this. I want to install their lovely app on my tablet and watch their stupid commercials. They did a good thing and I want to show my support so they'll continue to do good things, and their own dumb policies are blocking me.

Edit: yep, still no Yahoo Screen app in the Canadian Google Play store. Dicks.

shadok fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
I know I'm a big whiny middle-aged baby, but I'm not the only one.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

shadok posted:

I'm very aware of how convoluted international broadcast rights can get, but from everything I understand there are no rights issues at all with Community S6: Yahoo owns it worldwide lock stock and barrel.

Nope.

Sony owns the show itself. Sony and NBC (yup, really - they're still producers by contract) and now Yahoo produce the show, which can make things awkward already. Then there are actor contracts, which per SAG rules sometimes require different pay structures for international vs domestic first release options. There's also the various music\effects (you'd be surprised how much CG is used in TV these days)\other contracts with other clauses and it's all one big legal mess. Any or all of these issues could be rearing their heads with this right now.

Now I'm not saying that Yahoo couldn't find a way to plow through all those issues if they really wanted to, but it would be expensive, time consuming, and not necessarily worth the trouble.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

also netflix already got the uk broadcasting license for s6, probably from sony itself, so it's not some one-and-done thing where yahoo can just snap its fingers and magically everyone everywhere can see it

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I just now saw this, in which the executive producers for Community season 6 confirmed that Yahoo does not have the international broadcast rights for season 6.

I just assumed that when Yahoo previously announced that it had secured worldwide rights to season 6 and was planning to use Community as showcase content for Yahoo Screen everywhere that they were telling the truth.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

shadok posted:

I just assumed that when Yahoo previously announced that it had secured worldwide rights to season 6 ... that they were telling the truth.

I'm kind of wondering where you read something like that.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Toxxupation posted:

also netflix already got the uk broadcasting license for s6, probably from sony itself,

Where did you hear that about UK Netflix? I thought it was going to air on Sony's own channel.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Binary Badger posted:

If they were smart, they'd get Kurt Russell to do a cameo where he keeps referring to Keith David as "Childs" and they both keep reminiscing about 'Antarctica' but when pressed for more info by Abed being his usual curious self, they suddenly talk about something else. Anything else.

Jeff not wanting to spend the rest of the semester tied to this loving couch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Here's a new thread.

• Locked thread