Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Guys, there's finally some REAL news regarding Pantheon's development!!

If you want to complete their survey, it's right here!

:smaug:

Hey may as well crowdsource development too right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
This is the thread where I also go to miss Vanguard.

I remember beta testing this motherfucker with a bunch of buddies from Everquest, one of which had landed a gig at Sigil as a dev. It was his break in job to the games industry I believe. We would test stuff he had designed and it was actually tons of fun. He even named a few mobs and armor sets after us.

http://vanguard.wikia.com/wiki/SQUINKMAR_THE_DESTROYER
http://vanguard.wikia.com/wiki/Migenzo%27s_Armor
http://vg.mmodb.com/bestiary/high-augur-givinbro-6959.php

One of the first things he worked on was getting all the monk NPCs to fight in synch in one of the starting cities. In that city I found a sheep NPC that instantly re-spawned when it was killed where you could theoretically farm for 1 exp a kill forever.

The character creator was pretty ambitious for its time too. You could go nuts with the sliders and really fine tune very specific character details like you find in most modern MMOs today. There was a thread on the beta forums to see who could make the worst looking character. I made a female gnome that looked like Lady Elane Fairchilde from Mr. Rodgers. It was hideous. Sadly that screenshot got stored on geocities or some such and is gone forever now.

"Chunking" was one of the first WTF aspects of the game that didn't really set well with people. That's when you would cross a map grid border and things would load in. Kinda like zoning I guess except more often than not weird and bad poo poo would happen. It was a common thing to chunk over with a party of people only to have them re appear on the other side with all their skin missing. Armor would float in the sky and their head would be replaced with two floating eyeballs and a dangling tongue. It was creepy as gently caress.

Dungeons were epic and huge. We fought for hours just to get to what we thought was the bottom of a Tomb only to find out it opens up into three more giant areas which were much higher level than what we were fighting at the time.

I really wish I had all my old Vanguard screenshots from back in the day. It really didn't deserve the destiny that awaited it and in the proper hands could have been an amazing experience.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Chunking was super annoying sometimes. It might have made sense to chunk when going through the gates of khal harbor, but nope, just a line straight through the middle because the grid said so.

Vanguard being so broken was a loving crime. The world was amazing.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Chunking was super annoying sometimes. It might have made sense to chunk when going through the gates of khal harbor, but nope, just a line straight through the middle because the grid said so.

Vanguard being so broken was a loving crime. The world was amazing.

God drat I remember going to all the places in that screenshot. First as a traveling blacksmith to learn how to craft Qalian weapons, and returning to Thestra with a camel mount I bought for pretty much all the money I made. Then I started a Disciple (probably the coolest class in a MMORPG ever conceived.) You start at that tower/lighthouse on top of the hill on the left.

It is indeed a loving crime about what happened to Vanguard. It would blow away anything we'd have right now if it was put into capable hands halfway through development.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I started my first character up there, I forget what the village was called. The introductory quest took you down the hill to the city, it was brilliant. Lots of the intro quest sequences were. The orc arc on Kojan, lighting that torch on the mountain, etc.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

just you wait,,, brad's going to hire all the laid off SOE people, remake verant, and usher in a new MMO golden age!

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.

megalodong posted:

just you wait,,, brad's going to hire all the laid off SOE people, remake verant, and usher in a new MMO golden age!

And by "hire" you mean convince them to work on a game for zero pay while he tries to steal prescription medications out of their desks that are conveniently located in his garage.

G Prestige
Jul 11, 2008

What do you want me to say?
I mean, who wouldn't be down to sit in their garage, smoke cigars, rake in free crowdfunded cash and get high on scrips? Business strategy of the new millennium.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I know it's bad form to do this, but if at any point Pantheon looked like a thing you might want to play, you should probably check out this thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3701175

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

New 2015 update video posted here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywzMyvtuC6Y

It looks less lovely than I would have expected which is kind of throwing me. I mean, it's still a joke but.... I just can't figure out how they're getting so much done with no leadership, no money, etc.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Pathos posted:

It looks less lovely than I would have expected which is kind of throwing me. I mean, it's still a joke but.... I just can't figure out how they're getting so much done with no leadership, no money, etc.

Honestly, since SOE was bought out by some Russian oligarch who gutted Everquest, I haven't ever been looking forward to Pantheon this much. Sigil is BACK baby, and in a BIG way!

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Pathos posted:

Oh wow, Unity. That's a shame. The lighting is nice, but the graphics aren't very modern and it all looks done-so-many-times-before generic.

clone on the phone fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 1, 2015

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Node posted:

Honestly, since SOE was bought out by some Russian oligarch who gutted Everquest, I haven't ever been looking forward to Pantheon this much. Sigil is BACK baby, and in a BIG way!
Gutted EQ? Hasn't the only change so far been firing people in charge of EQ Landmark? Those firings seem totally legitimate because Landmark went from Minecraft 2.0 hype to utter dog poo poo within mere months after starting with their "pay-in alpha" and, a year later, is pretty much dead thanks to extremely slow development and making a grindy, unfun mess when they had the easiest job in the world: make a highly functional sandbox for people to build poo poo with so we can get EQN assets for free; how or why they hosed up such a basic premise so hard is beyond me. Has there even been any statement at all about changes to EQN from the transition to Daybreak? Not that I can find with a lazy search, not that I'd put them past outright cancelling it if the game is as non-existent as news about it seems to be.

Also, you obviously were looking forward to Pantheon as much when you were fanboying all over Brad before the crushing force of reality overwhelmed you. We haven't forgotten; please don't get back on Brad's dick (preferably ever, but at the very earliest I'd say a few months after launch given how Vanguard went down).

Sigil 2.0: ends in Brad's driveway with his wife telling his :airquote:employees:airquote: that their services are no longer needed (Brad is inside, peeking through the blinds). She then goes inside to e-mail the majority of the team that has never even met Brad in person.

Pathos posted:

Other people than Brad doing Pantheon's promo stuff (least it sounded like it, I only skimmed the video): probably the best decision made to date with regards to Pantheon. No leadership might be better than Brad's. Making progress with no money is impressive given the previous value of Brad's word/promises.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Rasmussen posted:

Oh wow, Unity. That's a shame. The lighting is nice, but the graphics aren't very modern and it all looks done-so-many-times-before generic.

It looks generic because all the game assets were purchased off the unity store!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
doesnt brad have an SA account

he should post about his game

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
how many drugs can we provide you with so that you may finish this game brad

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Eonwe posted:

He does indeed and has posted about this very game before! In this thread if I remember correctly. And in similar fashion he got ran off because people asked him questions about his very own game that he could not answer. Just like on the old FOH boards with Vanguard.

As far as drugs, just leave whatever in your desk drawer. He'll find them eventually.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Eonwe posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3601416&userid=207941

He did. It did not have ideal results.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

bUm posted:

Gutted EQ? Hasn't the only change so far been firing people in charge of EQ Landmark?

They just ditched storybricks too, which is what they were hyping as the thing that was going to make EQN worth playing for the last 2 years.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

bUm posted:

Gutted EQ? Hasn't the only change so far been firing people in charge of EQ Landmark?

Everybody from every game got fired, EQ2 and EQ had their dev teams slashed in half, and they fired the only good developer for EQ. He was a guy that loved the game, raided just like we did when he was a kid, got an internship there back in 2012, and they hired him. He would add all sorts of cool poo poo to the game when he wasn't working, without pay, just because he liked doing it.

I have no idea about EQN/Landmark, the game is ugly as poo poo and they have no progress to show despite years of working on it.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Node posted:

I have no idea about EQN/Landmark, the game is ugly as poo poo and they have no progress to show despite years of working on it.

This is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Byolante posted:

It looks generic because all the game assets were purchased off the unity store!

Cost saving measures to keep Brad stocked up on pingers I can only assume.

• Locked thread