Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

wolrah posted:

If you're comfortable taking the remote apart it is possible to repair this. My 880 was doing the same thing, the volume buttons and a few of the heavily used keys near the LCD were basically nonfunctional until one of my housemates got bored and attacked the remote with contact cleaner. He says he replaced a laminate-like bit with some packing tape as well, but isn't sure if that helped anything or if it was more from the contact cleaner.

Either way my nearly 10 year old 880 now works like brand new again and I'm having to relearn to use the proper buttons again where I had previously remapped volume to the page up/down keys among others.

I really wish Logitech hadn't killed off the upgraded version of the 650, 660 I think it was. The one that was basically the same unit but had rechargeable batteries and charged over USB instead of the lovely dock the 880/890 have that requires regular contact cleaning to keep working.

Thanks! I have no problem taking apart the remote control, I'll crack it open and see what's what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Well these came quick. I love them. I had no idea that LED bulbs look this loving good. Now I gotta get more bulbs for more rooms than just the one. It took me a while to figure out that the "scenes" can be used to ultimately control separate rooms. I'd figure that for general use I'd have one "scene" where my main room would have mood colors and the rest of the house would be just white. Only the main room lights would be controlled via the harmony. I think that would be ideal so the wife doesn't have to futz with an app just to turn on other lights in the house. Then for parties or whatever is when I can just mix up all the light colors in the house. This is pretty drat cool.

Yeah, the way I have my Hue app configured I have a different page of scenes for each room of the house... so when I go into the den I can flipped to the scenes for the den and have the various brightnesses I have pre-configured and colors and stuff just right there.

I essentially just have each room worth of scenes be specific to that room and not control any lights in the other rooms of the house. I have hue lights in our bedside lamps but I don't want to accidentally turn them on when my spouse is in bed and I'm watching tv downstairs.

I also have a hue light strip in the kitchen for the under cabinet lighting, that's kind of fun because it will remember the color you set it to so it's always consistent whereas all of their bulbs reset to white when they are on a switch.

I haven't gotten super complicated w/ the harmony control yet because it still feels pretty futzy to figure out how to configure settings but I essentially just have all of my activities set to dim the lights to a yellow-ish like 10% brightness and then I have the off action set to return the lights to full brightness. Maybe I'll set music listening to go to a crazy color or something but yeah... pretty simple need for the den/tv room where my harmony resides.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Well, v.4 of the Android app loads faster than the previous one, but it has some really janky design choices like giant activity buttons/text that wraps the 't' in Chromecast. While the initial load is faster than before, in-app actions are more laggy now.

Why is this app so clunky?? Is the iOS version like this? e; Apparently so! :v:

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 19, 2014

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Has anybody tried adding hue lights to an activity in the new ios app? I'm really confused about where I would do this. IE: I want my lights to fun when I start the watch tv activity.

eames
May 9, 2009

sirbeefalot posted:

Well, v.4 of the Android app loads faster than the previous one, but it has some really janky design choices like giant activity buttons/text that wraps the 't' in Chromecast. While the initial load is faster than before, in-app actions are more laggy now.

Why is this app so clunky?? Is the iOS version like this? e; Apparently so! :v:

Yeah the new iOS version is just as bad. The old one wasn't very pretty but functional. The new one looks like a ~responsive design~ website and is virtually impossible to use without looking at the screen. It really bugs me because the possibilities would be endless with a nice scriptable app (turning on hue lights via geofencing, turning on all required devices and launching spotify with one click in launch center pro, etc). So much wasted potential.

Dromio
Oct 16, 2002
Sleeper

eames posted:

turning on hue lights via geofencing

If you have the smart hub, IFTTT added a harmony channel. Haven't played with it much, but you might be able to work geofencing triggers there to do what you want.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Dromio posted:

If you have the smart hub, IFTTT added a harmony channel. Haven't played with it much, but you might be able to work geofencing triggers there to do what you want.

this is very good to know...

My biggest issue with the new app is that they completely forgot that they were marketing the smart hub & remote as controllers for Hue lights... which is EXACTLY WHY I BOUGHT THE drat SMART Hub/Keyboard/Remote to replace my Harmony One. Suddenly I have no way to link my light settings to my activities.

Dromio
Oct 16, 2002
Sleeper

MMD3 posted:

this is very good to know...

My biggest issue with the new app is that they completely forgot that they were marketing the smart hub & remote as controllers for Hue lights... which is EXACTLY WHY I BOUGHT THE drat SMART Hub/Keyboard/Remote to replace my Harmony One. Suddenly I have no way to link my light settings to my activities.

I don't have HUE, so I'm not sure how it works, but it looks like you can go to add it as a device under "home control" category and associate it with an activity. Can you not then do specific settings as part of starting that activity?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Holy gently caress the harmony desktop software is a bloated garbage mess. Idling on my desktop (e.g. not flashing the remote or anything) it's taking over 160% CPU.

On top of that, it doesn't appear to actually *do* anything better than the previous version.

I might return this harmony touch…

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

MrBond posted:

Holy gently caress the harmony desktop software is a bloated garbage mess. Idling on my desktop (e.g. not flashing the remote or anything) it's taking over 160% CPU.

On top of that, it doesn't appear to actually *do* anything better than the previous version.

I might return this harmony touch…

Update silverlight maybe. Its not like its a resident program.

heldicus
Oct 27, 2004

:stare:............:byodood:
Sorry if this is a stupid question but the current harmony lineup is really confusing (all of the similar names are just alphabet soup in my head).

My situation is that I have two separate entertainment centers, one in the basement, and one in the living room. The living room is controlled with a "harmony touch." There is no hub thingy, and I believe the remote is IR only. I have line of site to all of my components in that room (TV, AVR, sat box, BluRay, Roku 3, Xbox 360).

In the basement i have a projector that is overhead and slightly behind. The rest of the components (AVR, sat box, BluRay, Roku 3, and probably an Xbox to be added in the future) are in a media rack that is built into the wall off to my left. There is reasonable line of sight to the seating area for these components, and the rack has a smoke glass door. This is probably about 10 feet away from the projector.

I've also recently invested in some Hue lights after seeing that they were Harmony supported. These will only be in the basement, and I would only need lighting scene control from the remote in the basement (ie. dim lights for TV/movie, bright lights for off [or pause...is that possible?], and stupid colors for music).

I kind of hate the Harmony Touch. I can deal with it, but the annoyance of having the transport buttons on the top, the unresponsive touch screen, and the fact that there are no hard buttons for channel numbers are my major complaints. That said, it basically looks exactly like the ultimate home remote, so I'm wondering if I could buy a smart control (with the hub and simple remote), and use the simple remote in my living room while pairing the harmony touch with the new hub thingy in my basement. The basement is an occasional use area, whereas the living room is in use every day...so relegating the touch screen remote to the basement would be good. I would put the harmony hub in my media rack.

Does that setup seem reasonable? Anything I'm not considering?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Touch doesn't have vibration feedback or the tilt sensor for lighting up the screen when you pick it up, but is otherwise identical to the Ultimate and will work with the Hub.

However the Smart Control remote only works with a Hub so you can't do what you're thinking of.

heldicus
Oct 27, 2004

:stare:............:byodood:

Aphrodite posted:

The Touch doesn't have vibration feedback or the tilt sensor for lighting up the screen when you pick it up, but is otherwise identical to the Ultimate and will work with the Hub.

However the Smart Control remote only works with a Hub so you can't do what you're thinking of.

Well gently caress. Why can't the smart control work without a hub?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Smart Control remote is just a simple alternate to using your phone/tablet. It doesn't have the memory in it to remember your programming settings, the Hub handles all that.

What you probably want to do is buy the Hub and a Harmony 350. It would be $20 more that way but will do what you want. Bonus, the 350 has the transport buttons at the bottom and physical number buttons.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Smart Control remote also doesn't have any IR emitters. That's just on the hub. That's one of the reasons why it can last for a full year on one coin battery. It's RF to the hub an the hub handles all the IR duty. Also means you don't need a line of sight with the device from the remote which is very nice when doing macros but you do need the hub in the room with the equipment you want to control with the Smart Control.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 13, 2014

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
How do you all have your smart hub IR blaster placed? I have a receiver inside a stand and my TV on top of it. I feel like if I place the blaster inside the cabinet, the TV won't get any commands. If I place it on top for the TV, the receiver won't get anything. Maybe I could hide the smart hub in my side tables so it can face both the TV and receiver from across the room.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Mine sits inside of a cabinet with a closed glass door (slightly tinted) and still hits everything just fine. It bounces off opposing walls and all that apparently.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My Hub came with 2 satellite blasters, did yours not?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, it comes with blasters if you need them but I've honestly found it to be really powerful. It will like bounce off the back wall and be able to hit everything unless there's just no way to get any line of sight to the sensor.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

My Hub came with 2 satellite blasters, did yours not?

I haven't bought it yet. Just trying to make sure it will work for me before I pull the trigger. Logitech doesn't specify that there are two included on the website, but that definitely makes things a lot easier!

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
My hub hits all three devices without using the extra blasters in a similar setup (it's sitting on top of a bluray player, which itself is on top of the receiver inside a stand with the TV on top) so well that I had to adjust the hub to only send one bump instead of three for each volume press to get finer volume adjustment out of the receiver.

poo poo, it hits my air conditioner across the room, with a couch and two tables in the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Is there anything comparable to a Harmony Ultimate or One but with a resistive touchscreen? Capacitative is a deal killer. Replacing my 700 at some point and not sure if there's any options that fit that need other than a 650.

• Locked thread