Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Redactor

Culp is already sitting in the coffee shop as people start to arrive, drinking a cappuccino and reading the morning's copy of the Indianapolis Star. The fire at Wolfram's clinic has a prominent spot on the front page, but it's not the lead -- apparently the state legislature is looking to slash teacher pensions again, and there was a big protest outside the Capitol building that got out of hand. There were a few arrests and a few broken windows, but no one was hurt. Culp, however, is reading the comics. Evidently, in addition to everything bad going on in the world, Garfield still hates Mondays.

The false journal is safe in Culp's satchel, ready for the con later in the day.

Culp nods at Mons as he comes in, and then reads the Family Circus. As usual, he wishes he hadn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Ilaniel
Health: 8, Willpower: 5, Cover: 7 , Primium: 1 , Aether: 3, XP Beats: 4, Cover Beats: 1, Saboteur Beats: 1, Guilty, Inspired

Ianiel arrives almost too late, and grabs a cup of creamy, vanilla 'latte' before joining the group. He grins when he see Culp reading his story in the Star. He uses it as his own excuse to sit with the group. "Oh, what do you think of the story? I wrote that! Name's Christopher, but I guess you can see that in the byline. How is your morning going?"

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Malediction

Malediction doesn't waste time with pleasantries. He takes a seat opposite Mons sipping his coffee. "So, you catch the game last night?"

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Redactor

Culp folded the paper into his lap and smiled at Ilanial, doing his best to adopt an expression that's just the right mix of surprised and impressed.

"Oh, wow. You wrote this? It's a very thorough story! Awful too, of course. Arson! Things just aren't safe anymore, uh, these days," he said. "I don't suppose the... erm... police have any leads on who did it?

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Mons

"Ah, good morning. I'm afraid not. I've got these crows and they're murder on the old reception"

He wait's for ether the joke or the seriousness of his expression to sink in.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Ms. Sharp

With care, Sharp sets aside his notepad. His tone of voice conveys an aloof, bemused boredom. "Ah, that was your story? I read it on the way over. Terrible shame. I never knew the man who ran the clinic, but even in my professional circles he was known, very personable. It's as my old Estonian mentor used to say, "tősi esteete on haruldased ja saada harvem" (aesthetes are rare and getting rarer). What a waste. And an arsonist loose in the city is troubling, to say the least."

"Thank you all for coming, by the way. I'm Graham, I'm in the cologne business." Sharp waves his hand over the assorted bottles he's displayed. "I've got samplers, scents for any discerning man. I mix them myself. You know they say that scent is the sense best tied to memory? I like to think that in many ways, indulgence of the senses can focus the mind, elucidate the confusion and uncertainty about whatever troubles you." Sharp offers a small and winning smile. "Offer me a question, and we'll see if that's true. I guarantee you'll find something that strikes you. And I'll be more than happy to put you in touch with my suppliers, if there's something special that you need."

"I do have to admit, though, that my suppliers are a little on edge right now. They'd invested in a project but..." Sharp offers a light sigh and a shake of the head "Turns out they've had some problems with micromanagement. I think my suppliers will get over it, but at this point I've practically hitched my wagon to the project, so the best I can do is work to ensure that standards are met in the future." Sharp lets his voice drip with comic weariness. "No one ever said that running your own business is easy. But there are far more sharks than minnows in these waters."

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 12:01 on May 26, 2014

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Malediction

The comment about crows elicits a raised eyebrow. Will have to come back to that later. As if in response to the concerns about the arsonist on the loose, by clearly directed at the doctor across from him and obviously nobody else, he says "That's a shame. I only caught the play-by-play, but it was a hell of a game. Someone ran onto the field in the middle of the third inning, ruined everything, had to call the game. Really saved our guys, whoever it was. And then the star player for the other team was suspended for the next three seasons, might not ever play again." He flashes the hint of a self-satisfied grin.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Health: 8, Willpower: 5, Cover: 7 , Primium: 1 , Aether: 4, XP Beats: 1, Cover Beats: 1, Saboteur Beats: 1, Guilty

Ilaniel shrugs as people ask about his article. "Oh? I didn't catch the game, but I saw the highlights on TV, and talked to the sports reporter. He was even there, told me every last worthwhile detail."

Then he took a long pull of his coffee (nee sugar-milk), the middle-aged, husky man seemingly out of place amongst well-dressed professionals. "The fire was a shame, yes. The police record is tidy, a self-consuming arson, so that's what my editor ran. Personally, though, I believe there's someone running around town setting fires. Some arsonist was on the scene, killed the old man out of some insane spite. More importantly, eyewitness reports said that the firefighters weren't the first people on the scene, if you can believe that. But the people helping didn't hang around, so again, my editor decided to print facts instead of vague half-descriptions. Can you blame the man?"

Another pull of coffee. "Anyway, I was trying to get in to this huge gala tonight, but I think I got beat out for the invitation. It's some big to-do someone's holding, and it seemed like the kind of place fancy enough to serve nice hors d'oeuvres. I could use a solid meal, and I've got some hungry friends just dying to attend. Have any of you heard anything about it?"

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Mons

"Pleasure to meet you, Graham. I'm Dr Matt Green, and yes, I'm English." He gave a plesent smile. "I'm wondering if you have anything that would be relaxing to my patience. Perhaps some kinda of incense?" Might as well pretend that he was here on business. He kept an ear to the conversation about the newspaper, waiting for an opera unity to drop the issue of his fridges contense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Malediction

Malediction wonders if he is being too subtle with his information. But then, Ilaniel was never notable for his subtlety, so hopefully the others got he message and he wouldn't have to spell it out for them and anyone else in the cafe who happened to overhear.

• Locked thread