Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Footfall

Ylessar
You return to your ship, keeping a watch out for the two robed figures following you. Sure enough, after losing track of them in the crowd, they reappear again when you have to wait for a railcar to take you to the asteroid where the Fisto is docked. The platform is empty save for you, them, and an unconscious vagrant under a bench in a corner. After making sure you are alone, you move out of their sight in such a way that the only way to see you will take them right past the pillar where you are hiding. You hear their footsteps approach and ready your weapons.

Just as they round the corner, you take a swing and slam the butt of your laspistol into the temple of the nearest one. As he doubles over, you follow up with another strike to the ribs. His companion looks on in shock for a moment and takes off running. The one locked in melee with you tries the same but you grab his robe and strike him hard in the back again. He pulls himself free but stumbles under your blow and you easily catch up with him and renew your attack. He turns towards you and avoids your next two swings as he stumbles backwards but you follow up and smash the hand he uses to protect his face, sending him to the ground in pain.

combat log
before combat: you take a full aim action for your next melee swing
surprise turn: you perform a called shot on the nearest guy's head
turn 1: other spy win initiative, runs away. You're next, you do an all out attack, hitting the guy's body, he's last, flees as well, you get a free standard attack on him, he can only take a half action next turn due to damage taken.
turn 2: other guy is still running, you charge, miss, he does a half move away from you, you miss your free attack.
turn 3: second spy has disappeared from sight now, you do a half move and attack again, hitting the guy's arm and stunning him.

I had you pistol whip him because you wanted prisoners and your fists are useless without the unarmed warrior talent while your sword is too deadly, even without the power field. You succeeded in beating up one dude until he took a stun crit, which generally means the fight is over in practice, but the other one escaped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
Ylessar Macharius

The dimly lit transit station wasn't the ideal place to stage an ambush, but it would have to do. The load-bearing pillar was broad enough to conceal a man in armor. Tucking himself tight against it, Ylessar took a slow, deep breath, waiting for the approaching footsteps to come close enough.

His pursuers weren't bad, but they were sloppy, sloppy enough that they walked together in the same pattern, the shorter of the two on the left. Ylessar had a good idea about where that man's head was, lowered his aim with his laspistol a bit, and came out swinging in a perfect arc, smashing his weapon into the man's face.

Unsurprisingly, they tried to flee from his wrath, as his shadows proved to not be well-equipped killing machines like himself. The 'fight' was a blur as Ylessar savaged the man who had the gall to spy upon him. Before he could try and actually fire a shot with his laspistol to stop the second man, he was gone, leaving him with just the man groaning in pain at his feet.

"You've made a mistake," Ylessar brusquely informed his prisoner, yanking him unsteadily to his feet, patting him down for weapons, armor, or other tech-devices that his prisoner might attempt to use or discreetly discard.

The noise of the railcar pulling into the station failed to wake the sleeping vagrant, the same as the fight had failed to. Shoving and dragging his prisoner onto the servitor-piloted railcar, Ylessar considered his route back to the Fisto, and regretted the missed opportunity to obtain the sort of Hot-Shot ammunition that the Fisto's crew could not replicate, but certainly talked highly enough about its ability to punch a las-shot through the heaviest armor...

Eventually arriving back at his home, and receiving a mixture of respect and confusion at his return with a prisoner from the armsmen guarding the main entries, Ylessar made sure to find a sufficiently high-ranking set of them to shove the terrified man off to with a brief explanation of "This scum was spying on me. Find out everything he knows."

I'm not interested in interrogating this guy. Another player character or an NPC can handle it.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Danerick Kostanov

Danerick was honestly embarrassed at the state of the new regiment quarters, they were outsiders sure and the Missionary didn't trust any of them, but he wouldn't have the new regiment demoralized when they reach their target. That would be an insult to the Fisto's.

He looks at the 551th's Chaplain with an apologetic face. "Apologies for the state, I'll send a few of my helpers and the crew to clean the blood and bones away. If you would allow me to take part in your next service, I could give you a few powerful words of inspiration to your brave warriors!" Now the question was what kind of follower of the Creed the chaplain was, and if he would be angry at Danerick being part of the Blood Tears sect...

yeah sorry don't know what else to do for Fisto right now :v:

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Magos Explorator Hextus

Feeling that the required pleasantries have been met and sufficient information has been exchanged, Hextus leaves the Mechanicus to catch a shuttle-cab to the Scrapyard.

Going to expedite this whole "rebuilding ship" thing, slapping proof of authenticity on Ylessar is going to have to wait until I got an actual medideck

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Laurel McMannon

Laurel nods good-bye to the Biologos as she follows Hextus to the Scrapyard. "So, you think we'll get what we need here hassle free? I've not been with the crew more than a day, but something tells me you folks get a lot of hassles."

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
Magos Explorator Hextus

Hextus lets out a long sigh. "Possibly. No, most likely. Never liked Scrap cults. They make Feral-world Techpriest look like savants."

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Fisto

Danerick
The soldiers are grateful for the assistance with cleaning up their quarters. During the barrack's chapel inaugural service, you assist their chaplain and retell the story of how the Fisto's navigator managed to evade the warp beast of the Maw for long enough to make it to Footfall despite heavy damage, which is well received by the soldiers who favour strike and fade tactics. After the service, they start exploring the ship in search of hidden passageways they can use to sally forth from their quarters should the need arise.

Soldiers settled in, barracks now applies it's full bonus to boarding stats.

Ylessar
The railcar system here is automated and right in the middle of a shift, almost abandoned. You stuff your captive into an empty component and close the door. Once he regains his bearings, the man speaks "Apologies sir, we didn't mean to offend you. Our employer has us searching for an old associate of his, a man named Hezkiah. He supposedly lives on a Rogue Trader ship here in Footfall as the leader of an underdeck tribe, our orders are to stay in the vicinity of others from those ships in the hope of encountering Hezkiah that way, nothing we did was aimed at you personally, sir.". You make it back to your ship without further incident and hand off your captive to the armsmen. A short while later, they return, informing you that the prisoner told them the same story he told you and that they found a high quality data-slate with it's contents encrypted.

You too learn what these chronically pool rolling spies are after and also find a similar dataslate.

Scrapyard

Hextus and Laurel
After leaving the Biologis temple and taking a railcar to the nearest shuttle nay, it doesn't take long for you to pick up a tail again, this time following you to the shuttle docks. You arrange passage on a nearly full Aquilla shuttle, forcing your pursuers to remain behind or take a different transport. The scrapyard is one gravitic fluctuation away from becoming a space hulk, an asteroid core surrounded by the hulls of many ships, all in various states of disassembly. Your shuttle flies you through the maze of ships to the asteroid. At the scrapper's headquarters, you explain what you need to one who appears to be a leader of some sort. After that you are flown out to various ships around the asteroid. None of them have the full sized medicae deck that you are looking for so the best the scrappers can do is check each ship for equipment from smaller scale medical facilities. Everything you decide is useful is taken into a cargo shuttle that can barely squeeze between the larger vessels. After the cargo ship is full, you return to the main asteroid, and after some haggling, agree to a price which you feel is fairly steep for what you're getting but the scappers demand re-compensation for the work they put into collecting it from all the various ships.

Acquisition roll doesn't go very well, so your new med bay is of Poor quality and uses 1 extra Power as a result of all the duplicate and improvised stuff needing to be wired. PF roll was passed just barely too.

If anybody wants to do anything with the prisoners/dataslates/get a better gellar field, now is the time, if not I'll fast forward to the next step of the journey.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Casey

Hearing there's been an...off board arrest Casey drops by the captive's holding cell. She stares at the prisoner, then stares at Ylessar. "Ya know, pressganging usually involves bigger numbers, but I like the initiative."

I am okay with fastforwarding, I am mostly messing with Ylessar atm

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 17, 2014

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
Magos Explorator Hextus

Hextus sighs at what kind of compromise the current medicae deck is and ticks it done on his dataslate to-do list

"My list still says we need a Gellar field. You wouldn't happen to have anything that actually fits our ship, I don't really want to explain to other Mechanicus Magos why our ship looks like 'Gei-Sha-Balls' on auspex"

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Laurel McMannon

Laurel stays back while Hextus does his work. "We can't completely shake that tail. You folks sure are popular. This is the most attention I've gotten in the longest time." she says with a chuckle. She isn't too happy with the deal struck. If she's to become more heavily modified in the future (and she is) she'll need a much better facility deck than what they've gotten, though hopefully Hextus can still put her new dermal skin on.

She accompanies Hextus in his quest to get a better gellar field, since the ship could sorely need one, if the vomiting vents she saw on board were any indications. Ship was one warp mishap away from being a full Reaver ship, and she didn't sign up for that poo poo.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
Ylessar Macharius

The Captain's Quarters on the Fisto were positively palatial by Ylessar's standards, though they'd seen heavy use by terrified crewmembers hiding from the warp-beasts leaking into the ship through its damaged Gellar Field. There were archaeotech displays that replicated many of the features the bridge itself had, allowing him to see the somewhat sad state of his vessel. Taking some parts of his carapace armor off, and leaving his weapons close at hand, he rested for a few hours.

When he awoke without incident, Ylessar found that the armsmen had fail to wring an alternative story out of his prisoner, that the man was still looking to meet with Hezekiah. Interesting. Reports were that other crew had been similarly approached by others.

He snorted. It would not do well to be afraid of these fools. He would fight for his ship if these people had ill intent towards the Fisto.

Trudging down to the makeshift brig, Ylessar was heartened to see salutes thrown his way - not military-crisp, but respectful enough all the same. Letting himself in, he took a seat across from his prisoner.

"You say you do not understand our customs. Allow me to correct you for in the future. Approach me without fear, as a man, and do not stalk me like an animal, unless you want to be treated like an animal." Ylessar adjusted his fearsome-looking underdeck beast leather cape.

"Now, I am very familiar with Hezekiah. He has been... a strong leader for the people of Fisto's underdecks." Ylessar didn't let his old bitterness at the giant man show through, what need was there for it when he was the Captain of the entire starship now?

"I will arrange for him to speak with you."

Okay, I've bitten the plot hook. Let's see where it goes!

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Scrapyard

Components for a Gellar Field for a frigate prove easier to find than a medicae deck, even for an uncommon class like a Turbulent. Although too large for most frigate field projection cores, The stern generator of a Dauntless light cruiser is of nearly the same dimensions and only requires little alteration to provide all-round coverage. The engraved silver wards of a warpsbane hull are in high demand however and the scrappers only have a small supply of them, not enough to outfit a ship larger than a Viper. While the subject of Viper class ships comes up, the scrappers are all fairly certain that they haven't seen or heard of any such ship docking at Footfall, nor has one been seen in the volume of space usually acting as staging grounds for courier and Navy patrols that come through the Maw and don't require anything from Footfall that couldn't be transported in a few shuttles. From this you gather that Ignacia Herran and the Lightning Spirit either haven't made it through the Maw or, equally likely, skipped stopping at Footfall entirely.

Gellar field and some info get, though no Warpsbane Hull upgrade.

Fisto

The prisoner responds enthusiastically to the news that he is to meet the underdeck king. A runner is sent to the underdeck to contact king Ezekias. The king appears only minutes later, ahead of the returning runner, with an expression of deep concern on his face. The king and the prisoner speak for a little while but you hear nothing new, only the same story about an old employer. Eventually, the king takes a pencil, draws something on the palm of his hand, leans over to the prisoner and asks "Now this person claiming to know me from before I came to the Fisto, was he carrying any symbol similar to this?". The prisoner looks at it for a moment and replies "Not that I have seen my lord.". The king leans back and wipes away his drawing. He looks at the prisoner again for a moment before standing up and walking out of the room.

Once outside, Ezekias speaks quietly with you "Captain, if this person is indeed working for my old employer, we would do best to either kill him or keep him with us for the duration of our stay in Footfall. Before I came to the Fisto, I was a member of what you could call a mercenary unit and I parted with them on bad terms so it's most likely my death that they seek. We were based far away from here, beyond the Calixis sector even. If my former commander is willing to spend the resources needed to search for me out here, he will certainly go much further to kill me than sending local dockworkers to harass you. Information of my presence here might pose a danger to the entire ship if word gets out."

The king is hiding in your underdeck to get away from his ex-boss who probably wants him dead. You don't know who that boss is, yet, but the king has let slip that the boss is male so the Adepta Sororitas are off the list of suspects.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Casey

Having eavesdropped in considering this is a pretty significant security issue, Casey pipes up "Is there any other surprises we should be aware of, Ezekias? We're going to be awhile here in port while they fix up the destroyed bits, so if we have an ongoing threat with spies and infiltrators, we need to deal with it now. We have thousands of new personnel coming on board, so if they even saw Ylessar dragging this guy on board they're probably going to get an idea. Our best bet might be to find this guy and take care of him here in Footfall if you're willing to part with the necessary information." She winces. "I have no desire to repeat that assassination attempt that happened updeck before we hit that warpstorm."

I'M HELPING

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
Magos Explorator Hextus

Hextus returns from the scrapper clans unscathed, with his mechanical components still attached to himself. Stories tell of younger priesthood who returned from dealings with dismantling clans in a crate, stripped of all but the most vital components.

After entering the ship and completing the rites to greet the ship machine spirit, he is accosted by one of his junior Techpriests who updates him on the ship situation. Most pressing thing so far, by the amount of notes left for him by separate officers and bridge crew attendants, one of which looked remarkably like an underdecker, most peculiar, he sets on the task of "Hey Cogbrain, we need to figure out if this dude is who he claims to be?".

After ordering few cogboys to gather any DNA samples of the previous Rogue Trade and the current Trader candidate he pushes the compare/verify button on the genesampler.

A number pops up and considering possible warp contamination, on either party, it was surprisingly high. He hastily writes on a piece of parchment, affixes his seal on it and sends another lower priest to deliver it to this Ylessar person.

Sormus fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 29, 2014

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Laurel McMannon

Her travels with Hextus had been exciting. They'd got some semblance of a Medicae deck, and even a functioning gellar field, which means they'd be able to leave soon; Laurel was getting sick of Footfall. "Hextus, let me know once the Medicae deck is done and you're ready to install those upgrades to my one good arm," she waves with her mechanical arm. "If you need me I'll be on the bridge trying not to droll over the navigation console or fall asleep."

As she makes her way back to the bridge, she can't help but overhear all the murmurings about a new Rogue Trader having been appointed during her absence. As she nears the main bridge she finds a small group of ratings heading that way, and they fill her in. As they enter the bridge, Laurel says, albeit way too loudly, "Wait, so some filthy fething bilge rat claims that he's descended from the Rogue Trader family, and you folks eat that shite up?" Her face quickly turns red as the new Rogue Trader is standing on the bridge, and then down-right Crimson when the Lower Tech Priest announces to the bridge that Ylessar was indeed biologically related to the previous rogue trader.

She quickly slinks by and slowly lowers herself into the pilot's seat, just waiting for everyone's eyes to get off her.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Casey

"Yeeep. Things've been pretty complicated as of late."
She blinks. "I dunno if its a good or bad thing you seem even more pissed off than when I was in charge."

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
Ylessar Macharius

"No, the filthy bilge rat is what I'm wearing as a cape," Ylessar snapped back, staring Laurel down. He knew his authority would be challenged, but Emperor drat it, would he have to kill someone to set them straight? They were already short on crew, and this unknown augmented woman looked a cut above the rest.

Fortunately, the brewing battle of wills was broken up by the arrival of a tech-priest bearing the seal of the Mechanicus' blessing, and the declaration that the holy genetor-machines aboard Fisto had found him to be worthy, a true Macharius, the way he'd always known. Ylessar found a place of honor on his armor to affix the seal, and explanations were soon made about Laurel's identity as the ship's new Voidmaster, an expert in using a starship like the Fisto with the same skill he used his power-greatsword.

After a while, Ylessar slipped away, wanting to sate his curiosity. Hezekiah had been extremely secretive about his previous employer, enough to conceal even their symbol from him. He was in charge here, Emperordammit, there should be no secrets kept from him. Confirming on a bridge display that Hezekiah was nowhere near the part of the ship that their prisoner was held in, Ylessar went belowdecks to meet the man he'd captured again.

Nodding to the Armsmen guarding the door, Ylessar was let in, sitting across from the bruised man. He smiled, pushing a small capped flask across the table. "I apologize for our previous lack of hospitality, it is unbecoming of a Macharius. I shudder to think what my ancestor the Lord Solar would say about it. Would you like some Ploin juice? I've developed a bit of a taste for it myself." The light gleamed off of his Rosarius as Ylessar engaged in a brief bit of polite small talk, as best the underdeck xenos-hunter-turned-Captain knew.

Then he pushed a pencil and paper across the table to the man. "Hezekiah spoke of a group he served, and showed you their insignia. I would like you to draw that for me."

Added Mechanicus Charm to inventory.

Using Charm to improve the prisoner's disposition towards me. Bonuses from my Renowned Warrant and Rosarius to Social interactions are +10 each. I admittedly take a -5 to Fel tests because my PC is Voidborn, unless this guy is also Voidborn.

Then I want to use Evaluate or whatever else is appropriate to make sure he's not deceiving me, drawing dickbutt, whatever.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Fisto, Brig

The king thinks for a moment and responds "If my former unit is out here looking for me and shadowing ship's captains like you for it, they'll most certainly have brought the resources and manpower to act on anything they might discover. I wouldn't recommend starting an open conflict with them here in Footfall, they've probably prepared for such an event already and our forces are badly depleted."

Later, after the king has left

Ylessar
You return to the holding cell and speak to the prisoner again. He complies with your request and shows you his drawing. You don't recall seeing anything like it on anybody's banners or armour in person but the general shape seems slightly familiar so you determine that you'll probably know it from the endless lists of Guard and Navy units that fought under your ancestor that have been passed down your family tree. If the king speaks the truth, and you are indeed facing a sanctioned and sponsored mercenary unit dating back at least to the Macharian Crusade that would explain why Ezekias would want to avoid open conflict with them. Even with your new position as Rogue Trader and Lord Captain, a 600 year old network of political backing for a hardened mercenary outfit is not something you can take on... yet.

You roll Scholastic Lore(Legend) test and think the king's mystery unit might have fought in the Macharian Crusade, which matches his story of not being from the Calixis sector or it's immediate surroundings.

Elsewhere on the ship
Barges carrying components selected from the scrap yards start to arrive at the ship's other docking points. Stragan's void-hardened servitors are a great help in installing the external components and although his giant initially causes minor panics with it's patchwork mass of synth-muscles slabs, an enterprising junior engiseer comes up with the idea of creating a huge cloak bearing the sigils of the Adeptus Mechanicus and the Macharius dynasty out of a large tarp to cover it's hideous flesh. This has the side effect that the giant soon becomes known as "two Ogryns in a commisar's coat" among the 551st Naval Infantry Detachment and other former military crewmembers, a wordplay on a common soldier's legend that involves a number of Ratlings in a similar garment.

Installation of components+travel to Etrara available in next update if everybody feels they're done here in Footfall.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Laurel McMannon

Laurel is excited when the deliveries begin. She leaves the bridge and heads down to the medicae deck, or what will soon be the medicae deck. She volunteers to help the Ad Mech install the components. She of course had her reasons; the quicker the ship was fixed, the quicker she could take her out, and the sooner the medicae deck was working, the quicker that Hextus could install her new sub-dermal plating.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Casey

Casey likewise is eager to head out, mostly because every minute they stay in Footfall is another chance for a giant security breach. Who knows what's going to happen with thousands of new faces aboard? At least she has the opportunity to train a new generation of armsmen without several hundred years of tradition and inertia getting in the way.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
Ylessar Macharius

Ylessar furrowed his brow, deep in thought. Though the Macharius family's legends were centuries ancient and so many stories, banners, and battles were lost to time and the mistakes of oral tradition, these sigils he recognized as those proudly borne by only those who had fought in the Lord Commander Solar's service. The rest, was boastful mercenary garbage - but none could fly a banner with those sigils falsely without inviting massive retribution. Whoever Hezekiah's employers were, they were powerful. Too powerful.

"Thank you. We shall have to arrange a meeting with your employers soon. Until then, you will remain here," Ylessar lied to the man, who had proven himself to be an enemy of Hezekiah, the Fisto, and the Macharius Dynasty. He guarded himself carefully against any last second attacks the unarmed man might make, signalling the armsmen at the door and stepping out. The door to the small room clanged shut a final time once Ylessar was outside.

Ylessar let out a sigh. He could have just killed the man himself, but a Rogue Trader needed a flair for the dramatic. He remembered how he'd almost died a few weeks back... He cued his vox. "Tech-Priests. Start up the pumps. I want our prisoner drowned in ploin juice."

Retconned due to not fitting the tone of the game and to avoid initiating a crazy power struggle between Casey and Ylessar.

KlavoHunter fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 20, 2014

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Casey

Casey is cursing, and sweating, and yelling at people to get their rear end in gear and loaded up and generally having a good time when Ylessar's voice pipes up over the box. She blinks.

<<BELAY THAT, COGBOYS. CAPTAIN. WHAT. THE gently caress.> she feels a throbbing headache coming on. <If you're done with him just shoot him and toss him out the airlock, I'm not sure what you're trying to do here but it isn't making you look more stylish or creative, just like a loon trying to seem sophisticated.>>

same

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 20, 2014

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
Ylessar Macharius

Ylessar furrowed his brow, deep in thought. Though the Macharius family's legends were centuries ancient and so many stories, banners, and battles were lost to time and the mistakes of oral tradition, these sigils he recognized as those proudly borne by only those who had fought in the Lord Commander Solar's service. The rest, was boastful mercenary garbage - but none could fly a banner with those sigils falsely without inviting massive retribution. Whoever Hezekiah's employers were, they were powerful. Too powerful.

"Thank you. We shall have to arrange a meeting with your employers soon. Until then, you will remain here," Ylessar lied to the man, who had proven himself to be an enemy of Hezekiah, the Fisto, and the Macharius Dynasty. He guarded himself carefully against any last second attacks the unarmed man might make, signalling the armsmen at the door and stepping out.

As they closed the door again, Ylessar palmed a frag grenade, pulled the pin, and tossed it in after their prisoner. The compartment was sealed shut, muffling the thump of the grenade's explosion, the man's screams, and the ricochets of shrapnel.

One less loose end, and one less crazy argument.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
Magos Explorator Hextus

Hextus has been busy trying to get the new crew population through the ship safety orientation and making sure the new servitors have their maintenance rotations set, which took surprisingly long since nobody was sure how much strain the Jotun-patterns place on their skeletal structure and joints.

Now that dealing with all those papers and meetings was over he could start cutting the Void Mistress open.

Operating theatre music: Frank Sinatra - I've got you under my skin

Sormus fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 26, 2014

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I have gently caress all for writing inspiration but this update is long overdue so I tried to put something out, even if it's a bit short.

Fisto
A decision is formed to take advantage of the downtime by "acquiring" some more wealthy directly from your competitors. In order to keep this endeavour hidden from outsiders, you first start looking through your copies of trade ledgers for any valuables that might be on Casimir's ship. Finding little of interest there, you send out agents to quietly interrogate the dockworkers coming to install your new components about any hearsay they might have picked up. Some of them have also worked on the Subjugator, repairing the damage done by Ignacia's bombs and from them you learn, to nobody's surprise that Casimir's affection for excessive decorations extends beyond himself and his personal bodyguard and that absconding with a shuttle load full of gold and gems would only require some crowbars and a way to distract the shipboard patrols for a few hours. More valuable items would be kept in Casimir's trophy hall, where none of the workers were permitted to enter.

Furthermore, you discover that being a spy is a hazardous profession in Footfall and that many of the hooded figures harassing both your crew and that of the subjugator have been found gruesomely murdered. a few had their limbs ripped off or their spines snapped in two, others sliced clean in half and some were found to have exploded from within as if they were forced to swallow a grenade. The murders all had one thing in common, the victim's head was crushed into paste like it had been run over by a tank. Some dockworkers inform you that they believe this was likely done to hamper investigation by the Adeptus Mechanicus, who's wondrous technology could extract information from a dead, but intact brain.

Turning your attention to your own ship, another surge of recruits has appeared seemingly seemingly without cause. While this does help with the installation of your replacement components, it raises some concerns about the security of your ship, since spies or saboteurs will have an easier time sneaking in. With the (improvised) medicae deck up and running, Laurel's arm plating can finally be installed and a functional ship is also a good asset in case it would be necessary to depart from Footfall due to political reasons.

Your ship is back to 100 crew thats to some mysterious benefactor and has it's components installed. Also get a plot hook that Casimir has a private museum of all his loot. And some serial killer on the loose who has it in for annoying hooded figures.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
Ylessar Macharius

The archeotech hololiths on the Fisto's bridge brought an enhanced view of the gigantic Subjugator and the docking arms it was connected to at many points. The interior of the enemy's ship was a mystery, though records of other Avenger class ships were offered.

"I am told that Casimir is not a subtle man. We can expect to encounter overwhelming numbers of enemies from a Grand Cruiser's crew if we are detected too soon. While I trust in Magos Hextus' abilities to overcome the Subjugator's cogitators to deactivate advanced security, we need a distraction for their Armsmen.

Mister Crassian, I am certain that a Seneschel of your calibre would be able to obtain for us some examples of the enemy's uniforms and markings for a convincing disguise. Also, if you can come up with some sort of distraction for the bulk of the enemy's officers - perhaps a commotion at the docks - that would be excellent.

Whether we decide to land using our own shuttles, or perhaps to steal some of Casimir's on our way out, I trust our Voidmistress to see us safely through.

Armsmistress Casey, we at the very least need to borrow some of the Vent Rat Guardsmen's silenced weapons, or perhaps bribe the Colonel to lend us part of his unit and keep quiet about it. A Grand Cruiser is a very large place. We'll need some backup, and I am already personally impressed with their skills.

What are your suggestions?
"

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Laurel McMannon

Laurel finds herself recovering in the med-bay, even though such recovery is uneeded, since all Hextus did was put some dermal sheeting on her already cybernetic arm. She looks at her flesh arm in disgust, impatient for the day she can do the same to that limb. The process of replacing her disgusting and inferior vat grown self with reliable cybernetics was taking way too long for her tastes.

Up on the bridge, Laurel listens to the Rogue Trader, surprised some under-deck feral can even speak words, much less as well as he does. "Yeah, I can pilot and void-worthy vessel. Guess I just don't see a reason to go kicking a hornets nest. Its a bigger ship than ours, so really best bet would be for us to undock from Footfall, so that way when we get away with what we get away with, we have the leg up. While they're still unclamping from the station we'd be making our way to the nearest Mandeville Point.

Hey, just double checking that the sub-skin armor is only for the one arm. Reading the entry in the book makes it sound like it's acquired in a full body/arms/legs deal. You the GM, just confirming that it is only the arm armor.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Casey

"Uh, just checking, we're raiding his goodies while he's down with the sniffles, right?"
She nods. "I can ask for backup but if I'm coming along for this, blending in is probably not an option, even with the uniform....I guess there's always the underdecks. Gives me a chance to bring Sabrina along."

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
Ylessar Macharius

"Casimir himself and some of his guards, possibly his elites, are at the Mechanicus compound while he receives medicae attention. That should take some of the organization and best-equipped opposition away from the Subjugator."

"I do recall, however, that the enemy's ship is playing host to two more Imperial Guard regiments. We assuredly want to avoid them during this operation. So, yes,
" Ylessar smiled and touched his powersword. "We'll be sneaking through the underdecks as much as possible and avoiding human contact.

Now, I think we can pull this off with ourselves, and some of our picked Armsmen and Underdeck tribals; but I think we'd have a better chance with the help of the Voidfighter Guard. You used to be Guard, how would you recommend we approach them?
"

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Casey

"Well, Ylessar, as a former member of the Guard, I'd have to advise you that sneaking aboard a vessel and skulking through the underdecks and getting eaten by monsters and getting in a gunfight with two regiments of guard to steal a few trinkets is a drat stupid idea."

Casey leans in and maintains direct eye contact. "Because Casimir's toys will be ours after we steal his entire warp-damned ship from him while he's off having his rotten bowels probed by a mechendendrite. I have contacts with the Guard over on their ship, and I'm sure the Colonel here can talk with them, we get them on board, we can get the defenses to stand down long enough to get a shuttle into the airlock closest to the bridge, and with any luck, seize it and sail off while our men take the Fisto out as well." She smiles. "We'll be just as dead if we fail either way, but at least we're doing something worthy of a Warrant. We'll have Jay here create the legal fiction needed to make this okay with the authorities. I'm sure spreading around Casimir's onboard goodies will go a long way toward that."

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Laurel McMannon

Laurel smiles as Casey lays out her plan. "Damned ballsy, I'll give you that, though there are a few problems with your plan. First is having someone qualified to fly both the Fisto and their ship. I am unable to be in two places at once, for now, so I could only fly one ship. Second, even if we do seize the bridge, and even if the Guard on board are on our side, we'll still have a veritable city rating who might not take too kindly to a hostile takeover. If we're going to do this may as well bribe the ad mech into killing the bastard while he's in their care."

She pauses for a second to consider actually murdering Casimir, "Uh, I'm mostly kidding about the whole 'assassinating a rival rogue trader thing'."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Jay Crassian

Deep in his office, amidst mountains of paper work, Jay downs a handful of antacids with a glass of water. His stomach has gone sour with the new captain actually being the brazen, swashbuckling type; it made for the prospect of a quiet trading route very slim, and thus Jay knew he would have to deal with further combat incidents and generally just have to get shot at.

The very idea of it makes Jay's stomach somersault, and as a result, he farts nervously. He picks up his autoquill and goes back to signing insurance documents for the new crew. By the end of the week, they'd likely be collecting on them.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Preparations
The new augur array is given a "routine" calibration, sweeping the main auspices over a few known objects, other ships docked at the Stair in this case. Obscured by the signal overload created this way, more subtle sensors are used to probe the Subjugator's command decks. Furthermore, optical pict recordings are covertly made of the ship from shuttles that pass it on their route between the Fisto and the scrapyard. After compiling this information, a plan to board the ship is hatched: As a ship of the line not built for leadership or independent action, it's command spire is relatively small, with most of the combat tasks overseen by the fire control tower situated over the ship's enormous broadside armaments. Because of this, your advisers inform you, it should be possible to enter the ship through a shuttle docking point near the officer's living spaces, use the captain's access override in Casimir's hopefully unoccupied hut to lock most of the ship's armsmen out of the command spire and assault the bridge from there. The ideal time for this would be just before Casimir comes back aboard, as most high officers and their guards would be out on the pier to welcome him back.

As for the manpower required for this endeavour, most of Casey's best armsmen survived the encounter with the creature from the maw and Ylessar's time as an underdeck hunter left him acquainted with some of the scavenger tribe's best warriors. The officer of the 551st Naval Infantry are a little more apprehensive. They are not opposed to forcibly merging the two ships transporting them into a small flotilla and speed up their journey to the Dire Terror that way but will only support your endeavour on the conditions that the 551th will not be used as "meatshields" for non-Navy assets during the boarding and that care will be taken to avoid combat with the Navy troops embarked on the Subjugator .

You've gathered all the info you can about the ship and assembled a group of candidates that you could take along. 551st is the best trained and equipped but unwilling to fight in certain conditions, otherwise it's a choice between offence(underdeckers) and defence(Fisto's own guards). Whichever one you choose, you'll take a shuttle's worth of them+yourself to the ship. All players can vote, in case of a tie, the choice that had the captain's vote wins.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Casey

Knowing that fratricide and self annihilation is not high on the Navy personnel list, Casey, goes over her plan. "Y'alls folks on the Subjectagor should try to keep the locked off area free of the opposition's armsmen when they try to cut through the bulkheads. Fisto navy contingent helps us breach. That'll keep both sides on the opposite side of the ship." She hefts the heavy bolter and smiles as she feeds a belt in and closes the top with a smack of her fist. "McMannon, your concerns are noted but all we need the Fisto to do is fly in a straight line alongside the Subjegator until our navigators take us into warp, we can handle the command hierarchies once we've actually got the prize in hand. We need you with us to handle whatever surprises they have on that bridge." Casey nods at the Magos. "Hextus, you're the lynchpin of this operation, we need you to take control of Casimir's control's in his quarters. I'm sure you can convince the onboard mechanicus that we won't interfere with whatever it is they do and they'll be well compensated for their neutrality in this issue. After that, hopefully we should be able to take the bridge." She snaps on carapace gauntlets over her voidsuit.

"That's the gist of it. Plan will fall to pieces probably as soon as we disembark, but if we keep a level head and keep moving toward the bridge, Emperor willing we're going to have one hell of a payday here." Casey puts her helmet on and snaps the airtight seal on the neck. "Any last questions or concerns?"

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 28, 2014

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Laurel McMannon

Laurel just shakes her head, "We're actually doing this? Okay, what we should do is bring the Navy armsmen along to assault the bridge, while at the same time bringing along some of the dear captain's friends from under deck. Let them run rampant BEFORE we seal off the command spire, and hopefully any armed ratings on the ship will be too busy chasing down a bunch of half naked ferals to allow us to get to the bridge and kill everyone quickly."

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Danerick Kostanov

The Red Consecrator had been busy while the captain and the rest of the officers discussed plans for the future, visiting the discovered underdeckers places, realizing services for both them and the new Imperial Navy regiment onboard.

It was much to Danerick's surprise for him to return to the bridge and find out that they were planning to outright steal the Subjugator from under the nose of Casimir. While some of the reasons for doing so made sense, like getting the regiments to fight unified when they reached the Dire Terror, it still didn't seem quite right for the missionary. What was wrong with just having the honorable Fisto? If the God-Emperor of Mankind gave them a chance after the last unfortunate incident, they would squander this chance in a risky maneuver like this? Surely Casimir was a pure rear end in a top hat if there ever was one, but it didn't really justify this. If anything they should confront the fat slug head-on, like the Red Consecrators taught him.

"I suppose it's far too late for anyone to care about my disapproval of this. I only ask that you don't force me to partake in this take-over. I'll be in the main chapel for those that desire the God-Emperor's blessing before this... mission."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
Ylessar Macharius

After a fierce and thorough debate over strategy, Ylessar stonily eyed the hololith of the Subjugator for the thousandth time, trying to fill in the layout of its decks with his imagination, playing out the slaughter on its bridge in his head.

"Our underdeck hunters would be excellent in initially assaulting the bridge, especially with Casimir's elite guard off the ship. But we also must hold it against the inevitable counter-attack, which Fisto's armsmen will be better at through weight of fire. I'd prefer the Navy's Vent Rats, they're damned good, I've seen them, but we cannot risk them standing down if we encounter their comrades."

• Locked thread