Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Charles Martel posted:

Respawn finally acknowledged that they are working on Titanfall 2 and it will see a multiplatform release to the surprise of absolutely no one: http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/03/12/titanfall-2-confirmed-coming-to-xbox-one-ps4-and-pc

At least Zampella promised to both expand the lore and possibly release the maps for free instead of splitting the community up with map packs, which were among the biggest complaints about the game. Either way, I'm buying the gently caress out of this.

Is EA still publishing? I'd like to have this on Steam because Origin, ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Yeah it's gonna be on their bastard child origin.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
I wonder how the player populations will end up when it comes to xbone vs ps4, and if MS will pay for some kind of exclusive windowing again.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Sudo Echo posted:

The regen challenges were pretty good since they were all basic competency tests with all the weapons with a fun one thrown in like titanfall crushes or goosers. They had enough sense not to stick in ones like time spent wallhanging. Order was sometimes odd, like why smart pistol at Gen 9? It was fun racing my friend to G10 when we both got the game but it didn't stop being a fun game once I got there, there was still a lot of depth to the gameplay outside of killing the AI with a specific weapon. Stuff like strafe ejecting, coordinating with your team in CTF, and generally not loving up bunnyhops all took practice but was genuinely fun to do for it's own sake. The game shouldn't need to reward you with a flashy skin or achievement to keep you playing. It's cheap and manipulative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs-1-uV5ef4&hd=1

Stuff like this is why I play.

You've touched on more of the issue for a lot of players; It's not the lack of 'progression grind' (which I hate too) but the skill cap on it actually gets hit pretty quickly, because you can bypass a lot of the other 'skill' systems. There's team skills you can learn, but that mandates having a team to play with, and the personal skill ceiling for the game feels (rightly or wrongly) kind of low, because the movement systems weren't that necessary ( they're not particularly functional in moment to moment combat, and for movement you can traverse the map quickly anyway, and not doing so doesn't cause you to get shot particularly more) and the gunplay was actually pretty simplistic.

They probably should have gone full UT, and made the infantry guns have more intricacies to utilise. As it stood, they're actually quite boring, and the only way to utilise them was just basic manclicking.

All this said, I enjoyed playing Titanfall, but I burnt out very quickly, and given what happened to player counts, I think it's a fairly glib disservice to discount that purely for 'Those scrubs wanted their COD Prestige grind.' rather than facing the issues the game might have actually had.

E: Add in map design; They designed most of the mapping around Titans (makes sense, it's the game title and schtick, after all) but in an even game you spend most time outside of one (unless you're on a murder streak locking down a map) and the maps actually don't support Infantry combat that well, whilst actually using a Titan beyond power fantasy actually isn't that good/fun. 'Titanfall managed to make Mechs boring' is a fairly commonly levelled complaint, and it's earnt at least some of that criticism, gamer hyperbole notwithstanding.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 23, 2015

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Yeah, Titans just weren't that interesting. Infantry combat and parkour were what made this game great, it was like a great mixture of modern shooters and Quake style combat... But that always got interrupted by Titans.

I would have preferred if they were a killstreak type thing that you had to work towards instead of a guaranteed ability everyone gets to use.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Elman posted:

Yeah, Titans just weren't that interesting. Infantry combat and parkour were what made this game great, it was like a great mixture of modern shooters and Quake style combat... But that always got interrupted by Titans.
They made a game mode without Titans or AI. It was boring and no one liked it.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Elman posted:

I would have preferred if they were a killstreak type thing that you had to work towards instead of a guaranteed ability everyone gets to use.

See, I don't agree there; The best bit was everyone gets one, because it means you don't get content locked away from 70-80% of your players. You want them on the map all the time, because that's what the game is about. Just... they were kind of dull to actually use, once you'd seen all the cool gimmicks, there wasn't much difference between a good and bad Titan, and the weapon selection was kinda paltry.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Yeah I'm not suggesting they should do that in the sequel or anything, they just need to make them more interesting. It's just the way they were, they felt more like a punishment than a reward. After a certain point I started leaving them in autopilot cause I had more fun that way.

wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

It's a big plus that the game gave you, someone who found titan piloting dull (I disagree completely), an option to drop a titan and fight along with it on autopilot.

If you found piloting a titan, exploding people with lightning, crushing goons under your tracks, and ripping pilots out of their own titans just to toss them away like the pieces of trash they are as punishment, then it sounds like you never really got the hang of it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
If you play Titans like overgrown pilots, something like Stryder with dash quickcharger/core accelerator, you get more raw speed and agility than a pilot and you can skate around like a forty-ton antigravity Mohammed Ali punching everything with your big robot hands while making GBS threads out smoke and cluster bombs. How could you not love that?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

General Battuta posted:

If you play Titans like overgrown pilots, something like Stryder with dash quickcharger/core accelerator, you get more raw speed and agility than a pilot and you can skate around like a forty-ton antigravity Mohammed Ali punching everything with your big robot hands while making GBS threads out smoke and cluster bombs. How could you not love that?
Yeah Titans were the best part of the game. Getting my Titan and chaingunning all the people who just shotgunned/satcheled me never got old. Even when I got frustrated I knew my Titan would be there soon and I would have my revenge.

wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

I mean hell my favorite part was actually the pilot vs. titan combat. I loved the hell out of emp'ing their vision with grenades, hitting them with my giant gently caress you laser, rodeo'ing, jumping out of smoke just to cloak and jump right back on when it cleared.

Conversely, 180-catching a RPG with your magnet hand and chucking it back at the pilot for a kill. gently caress, why did ever stop playing this game?

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
Agreed that Titans were the best thing about this game, the worst thing you can do is run around and let your Titan AI "fight" for itself, you're basically giving the enemy team free points. I also think giving everyone a Titan based off a timer is a great way to move away from Killstreak reward gameplay, giving all players a chance to eventually use it while higher skilled players can drop theirs sooner.

And it was no surprise that Pilot Skirmish ended up being completely boring and terrible with the majority of the players sitting in corners for the whole match.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I found Titans boring to use. I mean, I was pretty good with them, it was just boring.

Of course, the game would be boring if others didn't enjoy using Titans. They make the battlefield more interesting.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Finally:

quote:

Having made all the maps in Titanfall’s DLC packs free on all platforms, developer Respawn is now adding those maps into almost all playlists to improve matchmaking.

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2015/04/01/titanfall-dlc-maps-added-to-regular-playlists/

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Now they just need to add players to those playlists! :v:

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

There were like 7000 players worldwide on xbone this afternoon. Guess the free dlc gave the playerbase a little boost. It was like just under 4000 a few weeks ago.

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy
This game is now $10, on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Titanfall-Deluxe-Online-Game-Code/dp/B00PYZ33HS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1429744473&sr=8-3&keywords=titanfall

Worth it?

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

For $10 bucks its a fun romp. I think its worth it.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Revolver Bunker posted:

For $10 bucks its a fun romp. I think its worth it.

Seconded. I don't play that often, but it does satisfy the itch on the rare occasion that I want to shoot mechs. Easily worth $10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

it's eight bucks new at best buy if you have one close by too

• Locked thread