Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

doctorfrog posted:

Yeah, I'm the furthest thing from a strategy expert, but after grasping the fundamentals in my first town, I started a new one on Hard and only really had any tension after the first few years. Now it feels like there isn't much to do beyond collecting every animal and every seed. I might try making some "districts," like a little town center and farms/houses on the perimeter, but it's going to be doing a lot of the same sorts of things, mostly just picking building sites, adjusting workers, figuring out where I want to place blights like mines and quarries, etc. I feel kind of listless.

Might fire up Colonial mod, but it seems like more complications for my next model town without anything really novel mechanically.

Are you playing with disasters and whatnot on? Getting a town pretty big can be a harrowing process if you don't grow at a proper pace. Additionally fires and other disasters can take out key portions of the town and ruin your economy. You also have the milestone of attempting to move over from the limited mine/quarry economy into a trade-based one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I always find that if I play long enough I inevitably run into some kind of death-spiral because I didn't notice I was running low on some resource or anything and by the time I notice the nosedive has begun.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Having a loving tornado tear through a 25 population town (so obviously I was only a year or so in), reducing it to 4, all past breeding age, who could do gently caress-all was one of the saddest things I've seen in a game.

I mean, yeah, when you get things nice and stable and have basically set up utopia it can get a bit stale. But the mid-game always seems to be the funnest part of city builders for me.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

LogisticEarth posted:

Are you playing with disasters and whatnot on? Getting a town pretty big can be a harrowing process if you don't grow at a proper pace. Additionally fires and other disasters can take out key portions of the town and ruin your economy. You also have the milestone of attempting to move over from the limited mine/quarry economy into a trade-based one.

Yeah, they're on, I haven't had one yet, though. I'm pretty aware of how tender and smushy the economy can be, and at the moment I'm learning the balance between birth rate, education, and use of resources, but I feel like I can scale it pretty well. And even if I can't, I dunno, I feel like I've seen it all.

I don't want to come across as though I don't appreciate the game, and I'm aware of its history, and laud its accomplishments, but I'm left wanting more. Mechanically, I feel like I've done it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's the dude doing now? Game was pretty well received, is he starting a new project?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Baronjutter posted:

What's the dude doing now? Game was pretty well received, is he starting a new project?

He has not said, at all. One of the deepest curiosities about this game to me was that he didn't accept help from anywhere, doing anything, even fixing some of the more gnarly bugs. They instead sat out there for months, unfixed, until he finally got around to it.

I have a pocket suspicion that the developer was using this as his attempt to break out of whatever treadmill he'd fallen into in his life. Banished was a top seller on Steam for at least a week following its release, and on sales it tends to show up on that list again. His unwillingness to take on help makes sense if you consider that his meta-game was to kill himself working on this, and then take the money from it and disappear. Being independently wealthy and anonymous is one of the greatest situations in life for a lot of folks.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Coolguye posted:

He has not said, at all. One of the deepest curiosities about this game to me was that he didn't accept help from anywhere, doing anything, even fixing some of the more gnarly bugs. They instead sat out there for months, unfixed, until he finally got around to it.

I have a pocket suspicion that the developer was using this as his attempt to break out of whatever treadmill he'd fallen into in his life. Banished was a top seller on Steam for at least a week following its release, and on sales it tends to show up on that list again. His unwillingness to take on help makes sense if you consider that his meta-game was to kill himself working on this, and then take the money from it and disappear. Being independently wealthy and anonymous is one of the greatest situations in life for a lot of folks.
He is porting Banished to Linux and Mac and has said so on his blog :shrug:
http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/
A bunch of programming chat which I cannot understand at all.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
All he has to do is open up the ability to define new categories of goods so the Colonial Charter guys don't have to stick everything into the catch-all "Materials" and he can go back to scrooge mc-ducking into his money.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
That does not really answer the question. Ports are good and all, but he's made it fairly clear that he doesn't intend to make a bigger content expansion to Banished, or otherwise do stuff that would change the game fundamentally. The project is basically taken care of at this point.

As to what comes after Banished, we have no clue, and I increasingly suspect it will be nothing. Though I would be delighted to be wrong.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I get a similar sense to the above poster as well. There's a self-contained-edness to the game that seems to support this. However, I think it's also possible that he burned himself out on making this game on his own on his specific terms, and any further modification may not feel right to him personally. Me, I hope he opens up, this game would make an excellent framework for some in-depth mods. In some ways it feels like a really well-developed default module for a larger game engine, like it was made to be modified and expanded upon.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm going to disagree with the people saying he's done forever. If you read the site posted above, he wrote a compiler for a shading language that he created and then said this:

quote:

At least, that’s the idea – It’s worked well for reducing code size for Banished, and hopefully will do so for future projects as well.

That's a ton of work to put together if you plan on just walking away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
If I recall he said he got out of development house work so he could work on his own ideas, Banished was probably the first cab off the rank as the easiest to conceive, but it seems likely that he has other projects in mind, and now he's built his own toolset (that was one of the notable things about this, he wrote the engine from scratch) he may get onto those. Once he's done the ports, of course.

• Locked thread