Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The balancing of weapons is the PE part of the patch. Bringing lesser TL weapons in line with the top tier ones will bring PEs back in line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Kazvall posted:

It's not hard to get max level. It was just a question of what to do at max level. It looks like we'll have something to do, soon. I might not even play that much, but I've got 4 characters I'd like to PvP with, casually.

Back then, there was nothing to do at max level. Nothing.

Dr. Video Games 0155
Aug 24, 2004

If in doubt, throw more men at it!

Kazvall posted:

The balancing of weapons is the PE part of the patch. Bringing lesser TL weapons in line with the top tier ones will bring PEs back in line.

That's a fair point. Still have my Rifle PE3 in that weird super advanced armor, I spent like 2 weeks doing that and the insane credit cost for the WoC disks and that armor. Still have a maxed Pistol Spy too. I'll reinstall and say Hi in a bit to see the game again.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0155 posted:

That's a fair point. Still have my Rifle PE3 in that weird super advanced armor, I spent like 2 weeks doing that and the insane credit cost for the WoC disks and that armor. Still have a maxed Pistol Spy too. I'll reinstall and say Hi in a bit to see the game again.

Nice man. I'll post here when the patch hits. We can all try it out together.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Gynovore posted:

Interesting. When I played it at launch, it was a bit grindy, but in one and a half months I had top gear and all the stats that mattered were maxed. Not powerlevelling, just normal play.

I guess it's not so much that it was slow, but maybe that it wasn't clear what was viable in terms of character build? I'm sure I did something that I thought sounded cool, but ended up making life unnecessarily difficult. I remember being pretty frustrated with my character.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Gynovore posted:

Back then, there was nothing to do at max level. Nothing.

Farm rare parts and outpost wars were a thing back then. I was part of the volunteer gm team during beta and for a few months post-launch and on my actual character epic farming and outpost wars where were it was at. This is still a thing except no one really is active at it anymore beyond farming rare parts.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
It's out :)

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

ModeSix posted:

Farm rare parts and outpost wars were a thing back then. I was part of the volunteer gm team during beta and for a few months post-launch and on my actual character epic farming and outpost wars where were it was at. This is still a thing except no one really is active at it anymore beyond farming rare parts.

Outpost wars were a pissing contest; a high level dude could make more money in a few hours farming than an outpost made in a month. Also, hacking an outpost required one guy to be built completely for hacking, and therefore not be useless at fighting.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Exioce posted:

It's out :)

Nice! I'll hop on this weekend once the hotfixes rollout and I have more time to invest.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Gynovore posted:

Outpost wars were a pissing contest; a high level dude could make more money in a few hours farming than an outpost made in a month. Also, hacking an outpost required one guy to be built completely for hacking, and therefore not be useless at fighting.

Yeah but it was fun, my clan and I held 5 or 6 at various times, fighting back and forth with other clans. Money means nothing once you have your rares farmed out.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Seems to me there's a bit more work to be done in smoothing out all the bugs from this patch. Drones/hacknet not working properly, some spells and items not delving properly. Going to hold off on this until they get all their cyberducks in a row. Then, I have a strong feeling it will be fun again. APUs and PEs should be seen a lot more often.

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

I'll probably use the patch as an excuse to give this game a second go. Barely managed to get anywhere with a psi-monk last time but I just can't get neocron out of my head.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

What this game needs is a server wipe. If they did that I'd be back right away, as it stands it's a bunch of guys standing around in Plaza masturbating in a circle over their rares.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

ModeSix posted:

What this game needs is a server wipe. If they did that I'd be back right away, as it stands it's a bunch of guys standing around in Plaza masturbating in a circle over their rares.

I agree with you here. The clans who stuck around are mostly toxic fuckers.

Railgun
Aug 12, 2010
Hello. I played this game religiously in the age of forever ago which starts in beta and ends sometime before NC2. Is there any way to get my kamikaze chips back or are they gone forever or do they just not matter anymore?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Railgun posted:

Hello. I played this game religiously in the age of forever ago which starts in beta and ends sometime before NC2. Is there any way to get my kamikaze chips back or are they gone forever or do they just not matter anymore?

As the game is now player run(free), and on a new server, you will have to reroll your guys. I don't think kamikaze chips cost too much now, if you're talking about implants.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!
Kami chips got removed from the game a long time ago and it doesn't look like they're coming back ... :(

If you're genuinely interested in coming back, my clan is always looking for people who've been playing before and we can get you set up pretty quickly. Just DM anyone from Wolf Pack in-game and tell them Cosmo sent you.

Railgun
Aug 12, 2010

landofcake posted:

Kami chips got removed from the game a long time ago and it doesn't look like they're coming back ... :(

That's too bad I remember them being only from GM events and more rare than MC5 chips and adding some genuinely unique build diversity. Had like 3 APU Kami chips and a couple of the others. I've been playing when I can just levelling a droner since I never tried it before in the past and it seems to be a good way to level a tradeskiller. I wish I had time for hour long opwars like I did when I was younger, but I don't. I'll hold off on joining a clan until I have something like a couple levelled tradeskillers to offer. I really always liked the crafting in Neocron.

Maybe level an APU and lom to PPU too but I'm going to miss having the power to parashock people to death slowly.

Railgun fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 9, 2014

Narsantana
Oct 4, 2011
Been trying to get into it cause it looks cool to play but I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, playing arround with drones but they don't do any damage at all against any enemy, I just fly there shoot at them see the blood fall but never any damage done.
Any tips for the newbie?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Narsantana posted:

Been trying to get into it cause it looks cool to play but I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, playing arround with drones but they don't do any damage at all against any enemy, I just fly there shoot at them see the blood fall but never any damage done.
Any tips for the newbie?

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer here, but the new server is pretty much for people who miss the Good Old Days of Neocron. If you're brand new... honestly, there are 829462 free MMORPGs out there that look better and have more polished mechanics. Try Neverwinter Nights or Marvel Heroes.

If you insist on going ahead with Neocron, don't start with drones. They were the redheaded stepchildren when the devs ran it; they've gotten some love, but still don't stand up to a good nuke-monk.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Drones are amazing if you know the game. If you're new make a gentank.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

Given that I don't have the time to post a big post on the state of things recently and how you should all return to playing, for now I'm just going to post a nice new PvP video that one of our clan guys made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7TElEf8Q4c

(But I'll do a bigger post later).

landofcake
May 7, 2009

So I did promise a bigger post on where the game is at right now for people who might think about picking things up again.

Population has grown quite a bit recently due to a bunch of changes being made over the christmas period, with around 15% online on a good weekend evening, mainly due to players returning to check out the changes. This means there's lots of OP fighting going on at the moment if you're involved with one of the bigger clans, but more about that later. The specific changes that hit recently were:

- Pretty much every rare weapon was changed in some way to affect either damage or handling, for example:
- Disruptor now fires a very fast 6 shot burst.
- Slasher is now single shot with an absurdly fast fire rate.
- First Love now has a 4 shot burst instead of 2.
- Liberator, Pain Easer and a number of other guns now do very small quick bursts.
- All of the Ionic weapons were overhauled.
- APU damage increased dramatically.

This has shaken up the metagame a great deal, so we're no longer seeing a wave of Dreadfire pistol spies and we've actually got reasonable class balance in PvP at the moment. This is why we've got a bunch of other players returning. Right now, APUs do by far the most damage (usually using the Holy Frostration) but they're still a bit squishy. Spies do good damage and have roughly the same survivability as an APU, where PEs can do good damage but can take quite a bit of a beating. Tanks are viable at the moment but only with a select few weapons (like the Ionic Cannon or Devourer), but they do have fantastic survivability.

A few other things got changed with respect to PvE, generally relating to buffing certain high level mobs, which means that MC5 is a great deal harder now and Regants boss room is a lot harder to solo (but it can be done, even on an APU, if you're careful).

If you're levelling up a new character now, I'd probably go with a PE, remote repairing a Rhino until you get a fair way up your skills and then heading off and leveling using cannons, which will hopefully cap your CON. To do the last slog you might want to use drones in Regants or El Farid, and if you want to go for WoC I'd suggest using a Punisher (do-able with three MC5s in your head and three drugs) in Regants or El-Farid, but it's probably best to wait for a double or triple EXP weekend for this (which do come relatively often).

If you're wanting to return, by far your best bet is to get involved with a clan who can help you out with levelling, gear and getting involved with fighting. There's a few big clans active at the moment:

- Wolf Pack (us)
- Primarily US/British with a few Germans, English speaking.
- We're City Mercs and we effectively formed by a merger of sorts between SXR and 17th, but we've been picking up older players from all around the place. We currently play regularly and we're often OP fighting most evenings.

- TASA
- Mixed German/English
- Falk Keegan's Fallen Angels clan, though he hasn't been around in a few months so it's now pretty much run by The Destroyer and Shrinkle. Generally always on but in smaller numbers, so typically don't have enough to field big op teams. Could probably do with more members but I believe they're a bit lovely about recruiting new people.

- LG
- Mostly German, some English (I think?)
- Tangent clan who've been around for some time, disappeared for a bit but returned in force after the recent changes. Good set of guys, have some great players and generally quite nice. I believe they might be open to recruiting, but I don't know much about their active times and German/English balance, might be worth speaking to one of their guys in-game.

- Infected
- German only
- Infected might be the best clan on the server PvP wise, operating like a hive mind at OP fights. I believe they're basically just a bunch of friends rather than an actively recruiting clan though, so newer/returning players might be out of luck, especially if you don't speak german (they're Twilight Guardian by the way).

- Rebels
- English/German (I think?)
- A new Black Dragon clan that's sprung up in the last month or so trying to get bigger and become a reasonable force on the OP fighting scene. We've currently got a little understanding with them that we're not going to take their OPs while they get larger. Might be worth a punt if you're a new or returning player.

So that's where we are clan wise, and naturally there's all the tiny clans hanging around, but these are the largest ones. Now is a good time to return, especially if you've got capped characters on Titan already, but if you still need to level new characters after the move from Terra to Titan, then there's plenty of people who can get you up and running in no-time.

Naturally, any questions, just stick them here and I'll do what I can to answer them.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Thank you for that effort post. The game has changed quite a bit balance wise. They've been redoing many of the graphic assets, too. I still pop in from time to time.

Fish Ladder Theory
Jun 7, 2005

gonna hop in and get my nostalgia on. Still haven't seen you guys on TS after checking for a few days, but yall should come shoot rats in the sewers with me.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Fish Ladder Theory posted:

gonna hop in and get my nostalgia on. Still haven't seen you guys on TS after checking for a few days, but yall should come shoot rats in the sewers with me.

Not sure if anyone uses the TS or Mumble much anymore. I'd assume landofcake has a clan voip they use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landofcake
May 7, 2009

Fish Ladder Theory posted:

This is a surefire way to remember the most lovely parts of NC :(

And yes, WolfPack have a clan TS. If you're interested in gettiing involved with us just ping anyone from Wolf Pack that you see kicking around and tell them that Cosmo sent you.

• Locked thread