Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Getting a lapdance in a gravitron was one of the most inspired things I've ever seen on tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Anyone else think this last workaholics episode was absolutely weird as gently caress? The dialogue, editing, pacing, and just about everything else was just....off.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That's how I feel about every episode I've seen of that show.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

What was the last reference to? I caught pretty much all the other ones, I was kinda hoping a paper boy would show up during the race demanding two dollars.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Baldbeard posted:

Anyone else think this last workaholics episode was absolutely weird as gently caress? The dialogue, editing, pacing, and just about everything else was just....off.

Yeah it definitely wasn't my favorite in a season that's been surprisingly excellent. I noticed that Anders wrote this one, he's definitely a funny dude so maybe he's still cutting his teeth when it comes to script writing or something, because I don't remember seeing him as a solo writer before.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Inside Amy Schumer's back tonight! A taste:

quote:

One of last season’s bravest stretches was a sketch about a “very realistic” military video game where female avatars are kept in the barracks and raped by their superiors. GQ later reported that Schumer had worried that a certain line in the sketch might come off as “too heavy-handed.” She “could see a young male viewer feeling reprimanded.” Schumer included the line anyway, and the sketch became a viral hit.

This season, she’s doubling down. In the Friday Night Lights parody Football Town Nights, Josh Charles plays a high school football coach who courts controversy in a small Texas town when he institutes a new rule for his players: “no raping.” (“Hey!” one townsperson taunts him outside his home. “You’re that new coach that doesn’t like raping!”) Schumer is hilarious as Charles’ preposterously folksy Tami Taylorish wife, but the sketch mostly situates her on the sidelines. This one is all about the boys.

And in the season’s third episode, Schumer barely appears at all. The episode explodes the show’s sketch format to make way for a 19-minute, black-and-white spoof of 12 Angry Men. In this version, the jurors have been tasked with deciding, once and for all, whether Amy Schumer is hot enough to appear on television. The short mirrors the setup of a season two sketch, where men in a Comedy Central focus group debate whether they’d sleep with Schumer, but there’s so much minable material here that it feels more like a running gag than a tired rehash. Schumer cleverly peppers the jury room with male stars known for their off-kilter looks: Jeff Goldblum as the foreman, John Hawkes as the skeptic, and Paul Giamatti as a juror who claims Schumer is “built like a lineman and has Cabbage Patch–like features”—and who ultimately breaks down in tears when he finally admits that Schumer is hot enough to stir his loins. The result is a brilliant critique of the absurd gulf between Hollywood beauty standards and real-life sexual attraction. “Maybe she doesn’t have to not be on TV at all,” one juror suggests of Schumer, a 33-year-old buxom blonde. “Maybe she could play somebody like a wacky neighbor, or a divorced obese woman with a funny dog.”

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/television/2015/04/inside_amy_schumer_season_three_review.html

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hahaha I decided to check up on the ghost realtor and not only is she still using the shtick, but she seems to be try and failing to get it turned into a reality show.
https://twitter.com/theghostrealtor

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I'm on Hulu+ so Schumer and all the prime-time shows are 3 weeks behind from original air date. That being said, the first 3 episodes are hysterical. She really seems to be amping up the feminist vibe and good for her. I loving LOVED 12 Angry Men Inside Amy Schumer and the equal pay skit. I honestly would hope she only does one more season, if that, because this is probably the best it's gonna get.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

So is that "Another Period" show supposed to be like a Drunk History type show or is it like a parody of period films/tv in general?

edit: It's a sitcom. Not a huge Natasha Leggero fan but I might check it out.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
It was pretty amazing, and everyone is in it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, it's Garfunkel or Oates without Garfunkel or Oates.

It feels so wrong

Yeah this might be pretty funny.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 4, 2015

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

The Duke posted:

So is that "Another Period" show supposed to be like a Drunk History type show or is it like a parody of period films/tv in general?

edit: It's a sitcom. Not a huge Natasha Leggero fan but I might check it out.

Keeping Up with the Kardashians meets Downton Abbey

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother
What a summer that was. I was 11, the height of a woman's sexual peak.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
New season of Review starts tonight! They posted a short clip on one of the subjects he reviews in the new episode and it looks like it will be just as great as last season.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Excited, hope it just gets darker and darker despite his attempts to salvage his life :)

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Last season had him basically reconciling with his ex wife and giving up the show. It was hopeful. Nope nevermind all that catharsis and closure. Take two huge steps back. Still estranged. Still doing the show. Not even the producer he punched is changed.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh god drat, he went through with it. Hilarious.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I made a Review thread for this season

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3733333

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

How are more people not talking about this show?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

How are more people not talking about this show?

Personally I have a lot of preconceived notions about Natasha Leggero (don't think she's that funny) and I'm troubled by Oats appearing without Garfunkel. It makes me sad for Garfunkel because I like her more. Therefore, I haven't checked out the show. That being said, between this thread + catching the tail end of an episode once I'm thinking I may need to rethink my stance!

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

timp posted:

Personally I have a lot of preconceived notions about Natasha Leggero (don't think she's that funny) and I'm troubled by Oats appearing without Garfunkel. It makes me sad for Garfunkel because I like her more. Therefore, I haven't checked out the show. That being said, between this thread + catching the tail end of an episode once I'm thinking I may need to rethink my stance!

You should. It's good, and the cast is top notch.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Natasha Leggero is awesome, and CC should take inspiration from the beauty pageant episode and do a series about her screaming insults at babies.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

timp posted:

Oates is really funny playing an insane person, but the rest of it is just sorta funny.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PostNouveau posted:

Oates is really funny playing an insane person, but the rest of it is just sorta funny.

Daddy wouldn't buy me a bow wow....

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

PostNouveau posted:

She is funny but so is literally everything else.

This is my hot take thank you

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Daddy wouldn't buy me a bow wow....

(bow wow)

The show benefits from a really deep bench. Lindhome has been dominating but everyone's had time to shine- you've got Leggero, Paget Brewster, Michael Ian Black, Christina Hendricks, David Wain, that's not even half of 'em.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Forest not using his veto on William Tell. Awesome

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

PostNouveau posted:

Forest not using his veto on William Tell. Awesome
I think he can only veto before accepting, not after. And Forrest being Forrest he has no idea what the legend is before running into reviewing it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Key & Peele finale is on!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
And that's a hell of a final punchline.

BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCH

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

any word on why they called it quits? Deciding to quit too early rather than too late? Too many movie deals rollin in? Hard to imagine comedy central would can the show but I don't really keep up with ratings.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Menamino posted:

any word on why they called it quits? Deciding to quit too early rather than too late? Too many movie deals rollin in? Hard to imagine comedy central would can the show but I don't really keep up with ratings.

According to Key:

quote:

This is our final season – and it’s not because of Comedy Central, it’s us. It was just time for us to explore other things, together and apart. I compare it to Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor. We might make a movie and then do our own thing for three years and then come back and do another movie. I’m thinking we could do that every three years – take a year, go bang out a movie. That’s the plan right now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Didn't Jordan Peele say somewhere that he doesn't like being on camera too? If that's true he hides it spectacularly.

Was a solid end and I'm glad they left on their own terms, but losing K&P and Kroll Show in a few months? That hurts. Schumer is bound to blow up soon so her show can't last for that much longer either.

We've been stupid lucky recently for good sketch shows. I still have a load of episodes of Birthday Boys to get through, and only ever saw an episode or two of Friends of the People which seemed fun.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EL BROMANCE posted:

Didn't Jordan Peele say somewhere that he doesn't like being on camera too? If that's true he hides it spectacularly.

Was a solid end and I'm glad they left on their own terms, but losing K&P and Kroll Show in a few months? That hurts. Schumer is bound to blow up soon so her show can't last for that much longer either.

We've been stupid lucky recently for good sketch shows. I still have a load of episodes of Birthday Boys to get through, and only ever saw an episode or two of Friends of the People which seemed fun.

You can sort of tell in the first season audience sections. Key goes overboard and gets really animated, starts doing physical comedy on stage and Peele just can't match his energy and sort of points like "this guy's at it again!" as the sketch starts.

Then the sketch is the movie valet guys, or the bad girlfriend, and you see Peele CAN do that energy, but he doesn't seem to want to do it for an audience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Friends of the People

Got into this for the Lucas Brothers, and I've really enjoyed it. It has some flaws like some of the cast interlude segments, but I'll surprise myself laughing harder than normal at a couple of sketches per show. With how gorgeously Key & Peele is done, I also enjoy the low production values of some sketches.

• Locked thread