Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It is a new trend. Just because it existed before doesn't mean games did anything with it. It's been years since we've had this kind of mobility in mainstream shooters, the closest thing you could get was TF2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
uh, Titanfall, Crysis, etc?

it's not a 'new trend' by any possible metric unless you literally operate under "well if CoD doesn't do it, it doesn't count as mainstream" which is an argument you could make, but one I think is bad, so. :colbert:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Psion posted:

it's not a 'new trend' by any possible metric unless you literally operate under "well if CoD doesn't do it, it doesn't count as mainstream" which is an argument you could make, but one I think is bad, so. :colbert:

Tribes Ascend was as mobile as it gets, since your character can reach 300 km/h (that's, uh, "very fast" mph) without any sort of vehicle.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Plus, you know, it's kinda dumb to call something "new" when it was the de facto standard for FPS multiplayer for a while.

It's like in 10 years bringing up the "new trend" of only being able to carry two guns at a time and having regenerating health.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

JcDent posted:

300 km/h

Nooblet :colbert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J56VMriR7yA

So AW SP never/almost never did "on the bounce" kinda stuff? What a waste with the manpower and budget they had.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I don't think I'd have such a problem with AW's single player if the game didn't have a 3 year development cycle and put money into getting Kevin Spacey as their villain. Battlefield 3 and 4 really obviously had a throwaway campaign, but Advanced Warfare is big and bombastic enough that it's clear that they put serious time into it. They just....didn't put any of it into making it good.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Psion posted:

Titanfall was the start of this stuff. Crysis was close to Call of Duty than it was anything else.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Advanced Warfare promo was really obnoxious about innovation and poo poo, when most of their features were "as seen in Crysis 1". Sprinkle "more tactical" around all of that, and you have the game.

Wish Battlefield stopped having throwaway campaigns, tho :(

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Manatee Cannon posted:

Crysis was close to Call of Duty than it was anything else.

Free roam multiple paths and above average AI: the true marks of CoD. Somewhat more true of C2 though.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Manatee Cannon posted:

Titanfall was the start of this stuff. Crysis was close to Call of Duty than it was anything else.

that's fine, but you said AW mobility was a new trend and the closest we got to AW mobility prior to now was TF2; both are demonstrably untrue. Crysis being closer to AW isn't really relevant in that context, though yes, it's clear AW took more cues from the Crysis nanosuit than they did Titanfall jump gear.

that said, AW would've been better if they HAD taken more cues from Titanfall. :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 24, 2014

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Titanfall gameplay/level design with a COD style bombastic SP campaign would own.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

DeusExMachinima posted:

Titanfall gameplay/level design with a COD style bombastic SP campaign would own.

Quick, somebody buy The Rocketeer IP and make a shooter out of it. Make it an alt-timeline sequel to the movie, where Secord failed to stop the Nazis, and now Americans and Germans are fighting WWII with jetpacks.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

The Casualty posted:

Quick, somebody buy The Rocketeer IP and make a shooter out of it. Make it an alt-timeline sequel to the movie, where Secord failed to stop the Nazis, and now Americans and Germans are fighting WWII with jetpacks.

I'm pretty sure that was the other option they had for Wolfenstein: New Order.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
I haven't played any Wolfenstein games since RTCW. drat, that was in 2001? I feel old.

Damegane
May 7, 2013
Probably because only 2 came out since RTCW.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

The Casualty posted:

I haven't played any Wolfenstein games since RTCW. drat, that was in 2001? I feel old.

It's hard to believe that a franchise like Wolfenstein would languish the way it has, 2001, 2009 and 2014 for the last three entries (not counting Enemy Territory). id didn't make any of the fully 3D ones either, Grey Matter did RTCW, Raven did Wolfenstein and MachineGames did Wolfenstein: New Order. In that same time frame id made Doom 3, re-released Doom and Wolfenstein 3D, released Rage and did an HD version of Doom 3. Somehow I doubt id really cares about Wolfenstein.

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012

The Casualty posted:

Already been done.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

What am I supposed to be looking at here

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dr. Tough posted:

What am I supposed to be looking at here

Probably Dark Void.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
Yeah, but Dark Void sucked, and The Rocketeer is awesome.

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012
Whoops! I meant to post a Youtube Amiga longplay video of Rocket Ranger, an alternate history game where you fight Nazis using a rocket pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012
Edit: second verse, more inane than the first.

• Locked thread