Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

10 minutes of cooking, 30 minutes of pure pointless fluff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The cooking is the most boring part imo

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That ending was pretty much locked in from the very beginning too. I don't recall the last time the winner was so obvious from the start.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Overall, pretty subpar season. Black jacket episode was a higher high than anything I can think of in multiple seasons though. Shame it ended with a wet fart.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

It really did seem like they wanted Ryan to win from the start being it was the "american dream" season and that poo poo.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's delayed justice for Declan. It's probably thanks to the editing, but agree Ryan clearly stood out from early on. I was rooting for the sack of poo poo to win, but am a-ok with him too.

Making the season "The American Dream" and then emphasizing how dead everyone's dream is when they get kicked off has been hilarious from the get go.

Love this low calorie dumpster show. Bring on season 23!

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 27, 2024

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

The ending made me think of two wrestlers that respect each other and are just happy regardless of who won

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Maybe Fox forced the American Dream on Ramsay so he gave the win to someone who is not an American (yet).

Also a new season of Next Level Chef is on the schedule now. I haven't started watching it yet, but there's 3 weeks of auditions... Social media chefs, home chefs, and pro chefs each week.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Maybe Fox forced the American Dream on Ramsay so he gave the win to someone who is not an American (yet).

Also a new season of Next Level Chef is on the schedule now. I haven't started watching it yet, but there's 3 weeks of auditions... Social media chefs, home chefs, and pro chefs each week.

If people aren’t pissing down the platform they missed the point of movie :colbert:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
Does every episode of the new KN have to feature a disgusting walk-in? And I don't mean Gordon!

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I guess they wanted to add some more episodes for strike padding? You have to work your way up the levels, and one chef gets cut each level with five moving on. Potentially unforgiving.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I guess they wanted to add some more episodes for strike padding? You have to work your way up the levels, and one chef gets cut each level with five moving on. Potentially unforgiving.

Seems like they just wanted added drama or tension*. Season 2 started with 18 chefs. So 3 weeks of auditions to start with 15 chefs, going to be the same basic schedule.

* Drama and tension naturally neutered by having a season preview before the audition episodes... :lol:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I'm curious about this season of Next Level Chef to see if they mix it up at all. They act like it's a "team" game but then there are no real team aspects to it as it is all a bunch of individuals cooking against each other.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
Personally looking forward to Ramsay’s next show where you’re chefs on a train stationed in first, economy, and stowaway. If you lose your arm is frozen off

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Mordiceius posted:

I'm curious about this season of Next Level Chef to see if they mix it up at all. They act like it's a "team" game but then there are no real team aspects to it as it is all a bunch of individuals cooking against each other.

They have been pushing the "team" dynamic for every season. The chef that cooks the best dish, saves their entire team from the elimination cook and the team gets the top floor kitchen.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
My friends and I all call it Stupid Platform Cooking Show.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
But enough about Fox... :dadjoke:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I was blown away by how lazy and awful Next Level Chef was.

Not that any and every show needs a moral, but the obvious theme of a show like that where you have a super fancy kitchen with everything and a poo poo kitchen with broken pots and pans is "good food can be cooked in any environment". It's baked into the core concept of the show. Yet they never so much as hinted that that's the case. Instead bad kitchen bad and everyone should feel bad for cooking down there. It's treated as a punishment 100% of the time.

On top of that, the teams are straight bullshit. "I am your team captain and I will mentor you" - maybe that's happening off camera, but they hardly ever include footage of actual mentorship happening. Instead you just get the judges vaguely going "hurry up!" or "you better win this for me!". I guess Ramsey puts a fire out at one point. Then they ditch the teams entirely in the last five episodes and, again, never bring it back up. You never buy that the judges are invested in their teams and it just feels so. so. forced.

& finally there's no dorm/downtime (Hell's Kitchen, Top Chef), or space to breath (Great British Bake Off) so you never really get to know any of the contestants or find someone to root for.

Hate watched the first and a bit of the second season, but good god what a waste of an incredible set piece and the judges time. Granted I haven't watched that many of them, but it's the worst cooking competition I've seen in years. Soulless and empty.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm with you on that. They had chances between seasons to make any sort of meaningful changes and just... shrugged.

I can almost guarantee they just had Nyesha Arrington and Richard Blais under contract with Gordon for some sort of team-based cooking show but some exec at the last minute watched "The Platform" and though "oh that'd be a neat visual metaphor" and shoe-horned it in at the last minute

Like for a show about a moving platform based on a movie about classicism, it takes no advantage of that mechanism at all, like you said. The people that make it to the end routinely gently caress up (forgetting dishes) or get passes (oh sure the dish is poo poo but you only had an onion and some shrimp casings, and you really elevated them)

It should be much more brutal. If you're on the bottom you should get the absolute dregs to cook. And it's very obvious the team conceit is only there so Gordon and crew can hand pick their finalists by saving the people they like who gently caress up by saying "oh you got luck the other floor was worse"

I'll keep watching that trash though.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I'll keep watching that trash though.

Me for every Gordon Ramsay show.

The man knows how to keep me entertained.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

CatstropheWaitress posted:

On top of that, the teams are straight bullshit. "I am your team captain and I will mentor you" - maybe that's happening off camera, but they hardly ever include footage of actual mentorship happening. Instead you just get the judges vaguely going "hurry up!" or "you better win this for me!". I guess Ramsey puts a fire out at one point. Then they ditch the teams entirely in the last five episodes and, again, never bring it back up. You never buy that the judges are invested in their teams and it just feels so. so. forced.

There's definitely some footage of them mentoring the chefs in the cooks. Almost every cook there is some footage of chefs asking for and getting advice about what they are cooking or plating. But there's effectively 3 separate challenges going at the same time and maybe 15-20 minutes to edit it together to make sense, so a lot is most certainly left out.

The kitchen levels is always just comical to me. The basement kitchen really isn't that bad, I imagine a good portion of the viewers cook with similar or even worse equipment than that. They should hire on Alton Brown and bring in the Cutthroat kitchen sabotages for the basement kitchen... With pots that are actually bent, or with holes in them to make it an actual challenge.

But it is a pretty trashy cooking reality TV show. They could do a lot more with the show than they do. But still worth the hate watch.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

According to the chyrons Wendy on NLC is from Sunnydale, California which is a very lovely and very fictional town from Buffy the Vampire Slayer (they mean Sunnyvale I think)

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Congratulations Ryan, the winner of Hells Kitchen America Dream!

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnthFNuNl9g

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Next Level Chef is using pseudo-Chemical Element abbreviations for the spice labels, seeing someone liberally apply Pb is throwing me for a loop.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Next Level Chef is using pseudo-Chemical Element abbreviations for the spice labels, seeing someone liberally apply Pb is throwing me for a loop.

Sweetens up the dish

cake bunny
Oct 29, 2011

Those are just Spiceology brand spices. https://spiceology.com/

Same brand shows up in HK.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Dokapon Findom posted:

Congratulations Ryan, the winner of Hells Kitchen America Dream!

Im okay with this.

Stupid season overall though.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Cyril Sneer posted:

Im okay with this.

Stupid season overall though.

Ryan was loving lame. He was just as lovely and toxic as Jason was, but just hid it better.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Mordiceius posted:

Ryan was loving lame. He was just as lovely and toxic as Jason was, but just hid it better.

You already made this post!

Mordiceius posted:

Ryan loving sucks.

He’s just as toxic as Jason was. He just hides it better.

I think we were spoiled for choice this season as far as who would have been a good winner (Dahmere, Leigh, Donya) but as far as the "American Dream" is concerned- well, it makes sense that it should go to someone not actually from America- that's kind of the whole point of the American Dream as a concept is that anyone from anywhere can make it with the right combination of ability, gumption, luck, what have you. Fox has always been strong on the intentionality of the messaging of these cooking shows, as bizarre as that sounds

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Dokapon Findom posted:

You already made this post!

Hah! Well, to be fair, why would I remember anything I posted longer than 24 hours ago?

Dahmere's dismissal might be one of the most baffling dismissals across the entire series to me. I know we only see what the editors show us, but the dude was consistently shown to be a strong leader, a kind and caring team member, a motivator, and just generally good at what he did. It was just so baffling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

This kid has one loving hand :aaaaa: