Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Trying to do the right thing ending in tragedy seems to be a running theme with this series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Okay so it's Wednesday now and I still don't have an update for y'all, this time for completely unforeseen real-life reasons (nothing bad, though!). I'll have the exciting conclusion(???) to the mermaid saga ready either tonight or tomorrow, but yeah I'm really sorry. :(

TravelLog posted:

If you can, put me down as a Summoner by renaming Elrik. Otherwise, put me down as a swordmaster of the earth element

I did do some futzing around and managed to rename Ivanna just fine, but I'm not sure if anything whacky'll happen next time she, or other story characters, are relevant. We'll see!

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

If it's anything like regular TO, nothing will happen.

If they have story scenes, they'll use their old name in the text boxes.

Also hey, could I get a rename to Tallgeese? Or you can save that for Path A.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

Looper posted:

Okay so it's Wednesday now and I still don't have an update for y'all, this time for completely unforeseen real-life reasons (nothing bad, though!). I'll have the exciting conclusion(???) to the mermaid saga ready either tonight or tomorrow, but yeah I'm really sorry. :(

I did do some futzing around and managed to rename Ivanna just fine, but I'm not sure if anything whacky'll happen next time she, or other story characters, are relevant. We'll see!

Very cool. We'll have to see! :v:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Rana

This update brought to you by Hans Christian Andersen.

what a creep

Before anything else, it just seemed right that Deneb should get the Glass Pumpkin.

Also Minerva's ring just happened to be Mercury's size! What a nice coincidence!

Our next destination's in the middle of a small archipelago. The game never really mentions how Mercury knows exactly where to go, but I don't like to look gift horses in the mouth. Not when the alternative's a Pirate's Graveyard deal where you search each island one by one. So, off we go to Rana, which is Latin for "frog" and makes a bit of sense considering its amphibious locals.

Yes that is a mermaid named Aerial. A reference and an ironic joke in one!

For what reason have you intruded on our territory? I suggest you leave immediately if you want to live.
We don't want to fight you. We just want to speak with your leader. Tell me where she is.
Don't want to fight? Nonsense!

There was nothing we could do about it!

He didn't ask for that critical!

Nothing you could do? Who do you think is responsible for her death! To you, the welfare of others is insignificant in the pursuit of your selfish ambitions. You are our enemies, and you have invaded our ocean. I am the strongest of my kind. Do you dare face me?!
Is there no other way?!

Better down where it's wetter my rear end.

She's even wind element! And yeah Aerial isn't kidding around, but more importantly,

her merbuddies are level 10, which means lullabies for everyone hurray!

Also, one of the hawkmen has the earth version of that nice shield we got last time. I want it. Also also, you can see hawkmen have their own innate skill, Thunder Arrow. Unfortunately, neither of the enemies here ever see fit to use it in this fight so

Also also also, we just met normal dragons a couple of battles ago and the game's already throwing ascended ones at us! While lesser dragons are all mostly identical besides their element, greater dragons are all considerably different based on their alignment. Neutral Nagas here just happen to be sea serpents at home in the ocean and they're even buffer than Aerial. Lovely.

It should be noted we're seeing the "hard" version of Rana since Minerva's dead and Aerial is rightfully pissed off as all hell. The non-mermaid enemies would be much weaker had Minerva survived, but that's a scenario for another day.

The name of the game today is speed, so the slowpokes get to stay dry on the bench, sans Deneb for anti-rain duty (the last thing we need is more water tiles). Our starting position isn't nearly as defensible as it was in Arena and these enemies are generally tougher anyway, so we're making a beeline for the western shore and fighting it out there.

Yeah yeah nice dinglehopper. Y'know you'd probably have more luck keeping your house a secret if you didn't stand up there shouting at everyone.

Good thing, I don't wanna tangle with Flotsam and Jetsam longer than I have to.

Walking around on those, what do you call them? Oh, feet!

(ninjas rock)

Due to movement differences and water being poo, we've sorta got two squads going here whether I like it or not.

Not that it makes much difference because apparently Jetsam never learned right from left.

Thankfully Aerial did.

Next turn, the speed squad reaches dry land, and I have everyone spread out because I don't remember how much SP Lullaby costs.

Slow squad's making progress.

While most units are weaker in the water, mermaids obviously aren't. In contrast, they're a bit weaker than usual on land.

Okay a lot weaker.

Guys c'mon I'm over here!

Scuttle and Frocobo join the fray on both sides.

Which allows Krysm to finish off uh, Andrina. So much for not killing more mermaids!

DID YOU KNOW all of Ariel's sisters have names?

They're all A names.

it's kinda silly

Anyway, while all of the mermaids are packing Lullaby, only Aerial (and Minerva, RIP) has the Int to get that sweet AoE, and Aerial's way more interested in stabbing dudes, so it isn't nearly as annoying in this battle.

I don't even know what they're doing anymore. Having a lot of finny fun?

I don't know what the exact odds are, but Lullaby doesn't end up working once this whole fight. Everyone must have seaweed in their ears.

The one nice thing about all this water is that it neuters the hawkmen just as much as us.

Aerial not so much. And she's smart enough to stay in the water!

It's hotter under the water. :wink:

Something that may not be entirely clear or intuitive is that despite their being on top of it, ninjas are also weakened by water. But hey we're almost at triple digit damage! Kind of!!

Aw yeah. That was risky, but it also turned Aerial's back toward some dry land.

Bregor capitalizes.

Mercury follows up.

And then Rabbi sets the ocean on fire.

Now, Aerial's at low enough health that we could finish this up right now but 1) that's no fun and 2) I still want that Earth Shield.

So, TARDIS gets to the healing instead of the mermaid whacking. Someday you'll be able to do more than heal. I should look into clerics.

You might be sitting there sipping your MTN Dew and thinking, "dude throwing fire at water is dumb," and to THAT goon sire I say go away

Gotta get that loot. Which reminds me, there is a secret mission nice buried treasure on this map, but it's all the way on the other side and it'll be much easier to get afterward in Training.

Bleh, getting Aerial down to low health had the predictable result.

At least Rabbi's still tone-deaf. This fight isn't going too bad.

Not too bad!

oh dear

At least the hawkmen are neutralized.

This AI is silly. Krysm by all rights should be dead, but Aerial would've either had to hit her Naga, attack from dry land, or maybe eat a counterattack if Krysm somehow didn't die. So instead she goes for the sturdy guys.

Deneb's having a much better charm showing than last time.

Meanwhile Mercury continues to keep Aerial on her uh...fins.

Ya we in luck here

Down in the muck here

Nobody beat us

Fry us and eat us

We got no troubles

Life is the bubbles!

Under the- y'know realtalk here, I never really liked The Little Mermaid that much. It's kinda creepy and the original story ends with straight up emotional blackmail. Sorry. :( It is a very pretty movie, though.

Acquired buried Altar of Resurrection.

TARDIS where did you find that. You better not be jinxing us!

While Jetsam's breath isn't quite as effective on his buddy, he also isn't using it on us. Way more important.

Though there's also that! Poison isn't a big deal, just the same slight health drain it always is.

Okay yeah we should probably finish up soon.

On a happier note, two status ailments means two wasted turns. It's kinda touching to see the enemy care so much for one another.

Stop healing the boss!

Yeesh, just imagine if the AI ever decided to gang up on someone.

Watch and learn!

Seriously how does that work??

And down she goes.

It's kinda hard to see since everyone's in the way, but while the rest of Aerial's team is poofing away like normal, she's rather pointedly still alive even though we reduced her health to zero.

Woo!

BEAUTIFUL MONEY

yeah we don't get any of Aerial's equipment since, well

---

You may have defeated me, but I'll never reveal the location of our sanctuary. I'll endure any disgrace.

Dude it's like, right there. That big arch is kinda conspicuous.

......I have no intention of killing you. Please, tell your leader that I wish to speak to her.
You take pity and spare me, after killing Minerva? Why?
I'd like it if we can resolve things peacefully.

Also you have a unique portrait!

By leaving this unfinished, it may come back to haunt you. Have you thought of that? You may one find my spear protruding from your back. Your sympathy is nothing but a liability.

Phew good timing, that was getting awkward!

You can't be serious!
She asked that we welcome them as guests and treat them with hospitality. Aerial, dwelling on Minerva's death won't change anything. You are to receive treatment for your wounds and then join us later.
...Alright.

Yes, I am. My name is Mercury.
Welcome, Mercury. Please follow me.

Y'all should get a waterfall there. Nobody suspects waterfalls.

---

This track's nice. Naturally it hardly ever crops up.

the ocean. Please share what you have to say.
I...I promised someone that I'd help them find the Sacred Spear.
...The Sacred Spear? I see... For you humans, those events are long passed. I don't blame you, though. Your time on this earth is limited. For that reason, you can easily forget mistakes of the past. Forgetting permits hope to return and strength to be rebuilt. In that sense, I envy you. Everyone has their own perspective. I won't blame the people of this generation for sorrows of the past. Please understand... The flow of time is different for our kind.

We are water elves, you see.

I'm from Lodis. I thought you might know something about the spear. That's why I'm here. I've read that the Sacred Spear is a treasure from God which was bestowed upon the mermaids, but that's all I know.
That's correct. It was ours.
Please tell me... What is the story of the Sacred Spear?
Alright. I'll tell you everything I know.

island. That changed when people arrived. They burned forests and built villages. Conflicts erupted when they disturbed our quiet ocean. The quarreling never ceased, and finally a battle began for control of the island. I took up arms alongside the other mermaids.

the southern sea...

No. Even with your life in their hands, they'd continue to attack. They are blood-thirsty goblins. They think everything in this world is theirs for the taking. Why?! Why does God allow such creatures to exist on this earth? Don't do anything rash. We'll stand by you and protect this ocean.
Chloeri, that kind of thinking will get us nowhere. What will remain when the fighting is over? Instead, we must find a way to survive.
Are you saying that we should let the humans win, that we should endure that kind of humiliation?

It is we who are the soul of the sea. As such, we will eventually become one again with the water and wind. Are we so insignificant? Answer me!!! Is there no place for us on this earth? Will you turn your back on us and let us fade from existence?

but instead I found a spear. It was a beautiful, black spear, bestowed upon us by God. It drew on the power of thunder and lightning, and could pierce metal armor. The war started anew, and ten years passed...

These mermaids turn into spears instead of seafoam! Neat.

Also this is sorta funny for reasons that won't become clear for a while.

The Sacred Spear's actual name is Longicolnis, which is similar to Longinus, the Roman soldier who supposedly stabbed Jesus during the crucifixion (with a spear, naturally). (it's also similar to longicornis, which is Latin for long horn which is also very appropriate and probably more correct but not as cool)

This is Arena, if you'll recall. Still a fitting name.

:smith:

War never changes blows.

Look once more. I doubt any human could have entered this sanctuary. Who took the spear from here, then? And why?
Has someone betrayed us? They may have conspired with humans...
Impossible... Why would anyone want to risk their life for the enemy?! Our leader sacrificed herself for our sake. The spear is the key to our victory!

You keep dancing around giving the old queen a name. Just call her Ursula or something.

Protect our ocean! I'll be right there...

I like how they're using both the ally and enemy mermaid colors here, adds a bit of variety.

love with a human. But, such love was forbidden. She hoped that hostilities would subside if the war ended, and so, one night, she entered the sanctuary and stole the Sacred Spear for her loved one.

After losing the spear, we could no longer withstand their attacks. So we escaped to the west. Complicated tides, thick forests, and swampy land... These natural barriers have protected this small sea. You see, we don't have the spear anymore.
And what happened to her?
I don't know. Both she and the spear disappeared. But, I received no word that the humans had obtained it.
There's no other clues to its wherabouts, are there?
Well... I have a feeling that...that mermaid's still alive somewhere. If you can find her, she may lead you to the spear.
What's her name?
The mermaid that disappeared...

...She is my sister. If you find her, please tell her that we are no longer angry, and that we await her return. ...Will you do this for me?
Can you so easily forgive someone who betrayed you?
Because of the power of the spear, we continued to fight and lost many more of our kind. As our former leader said, self-preservation should have been more of a concern. If you find the spear, keep it. It's no longer of use to us.
Why is that...?
We recognize the futility of war. Allow me to see you off. Where are you headed?

yeah I GUESS

There's someone waiting for me... If she believes in me, that is.

Merc, buddy, you already have someone to- oh whatever.

That mission's success was kinda questionable but we better go report back anyway. Next time!

---
Chloeri Official Art:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Looper posted:

War never changes blows.

I really do appreciate it when games take a few seconds to point that out.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Now that we've seen another dragon's breath attack, let's talk about what each element does!

Fire-attuned dragons' breath can inflict confusion, which does what you might think -- causing victims to attack indiscriminately. Confusion can be dispelled by a blow to the noggin.

Earth-attuned dragons' breath can inflict poison, which deals a small amount of damage each phase.

Thunder-attuned dragons' breath can inflict stun, which is the best of the statuses IMO.

Ice-attuned dragons' breath can inflict sleep, which can be cured by a good thrashing.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I'm glad they pointed out the leader being pink, as opposed to all those other non-pink mermaids.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 19, 2014

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Now I wanna play a game where you wage war against mermaids.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
It's not the whole game, but I think someone mentioned Yggdra Union before, where you spend a solid chunk of story just beating up mermaids. It's really sad. :(

Anyway hope y'all like plot!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Reporting In

Today's gonna be a bit of a mini-update. No battles, 98% plot. So let's get that 2% out of the way now!

It's kinda hard to tell with the flag and sword on top of it, but Rana is a city and as such, has a shop.

Appropriately enough, the shopkeeper is a mermaid.

And you can recruit mermaids of your own here, if you don't wanna gamble on absurdly low persuasion rates.

Also, as I mentioned last time, there's a good buried treasure hidden in Rana. We were scrambling in the opposite direction during the fight, though, but there's nothing a little training can't solve.

Acquired buried Ice Blade.

It has the same power as Merc's fancy Matsukaze, but is a one-handed sword instead of a two-handed katana.

At some point I'm gonna change Mercury's element to water. Wind's nice and all, but with a name like Mercury, there's really only one option.

J. Totes grabs the Matsukaze.

Deneb grabs that Earth Shield, mostly because magic shields are really heavy and she's the only one who won't lose a movement point from having it on, since glass pumpkins are apparently also really heavy.

Speaking of movement, Frocobo swaps his axe out for a hammer. Hawkmen like hammery stuff better, and it gives him a smidgen of extra distance.

First up on our cutscene tour is Arena.

Much quieter this time around.

Yes. I have to decide what to do next. Don't worry, I won't bother you again.
I've heard of the spear, but I didn't know the story behind it. Even if you loved someone, how could you sacrifice your own kind? I don't understand. What was she thinking...? Is there someone who you'd protect...even if it cost you everything?
I'm not sure... I don't think that can be answered by someone who hasn't faced those circumstances.

hmmmmmm

I may not understand how our leader is feeling, but Minerva knew the risk she was taking. Tell me... Do humans and mermaids differ in more than just appearance? Will we never understand each other? If that's the case, will we just continue stealing from one another?

This would be an interesting line of thought, if the mermaids' role in this story weren't just about over. But yeah they never seem to catch a break in fiction.

I can't say. But even among the same race, nothing good comes from stealing.
I wonder what you'll see from now on... Remember, I'll hunt you down if I find you're not true to your word. ...Good luck.

Oh, huh that could've maybe gone better.

Oh well!

Urodela is Latin for salamander. I'm...not really sure how that's relevant?

Any luck finding new information on Berevra?

love with humans, but nothing specific. Unfortunately, we don't have the slightest hint as to where she might be.
The sad love story of a human and a mermaid, and the weapon of God... The White Fang Troops have yet to act. Neither has the Order of the Sacred Flame, which was dispatched from Scabellum. I wonder if Rictor's men who appeared at Urodela that night were chasing after members of the White Fang Troops.

Thank you for that quick expository recap, Mercury.

What do you mean by that?

was asking me about our true purpose on this island. At the time I knew nothing. I thought we were sent here to investigate the White Fang Troops. But, I wonder how much Rictor knew...
I have no idea.

?

I love it when people ask this question. :buddy:

You've brought the information as promised. You're free to go and do as you please, whether that be rejoining your comrades or returning home.
I have no place with them, or in my hometown.

Man, I know you're covered with ice gear but that's no reason to be so cold!

...But he seemed to need you.
Rictor expected a lot out of me. He wanted me as both a subordinate and a friend... He wanted someone that he could rely on.

Maybe somebody to- nah.

That's what he expected, huh?
Have you ever thought about doing what is expected of you? I...I worry too much about what others think, and put their wishes ahead of my own. Once I realized this, I couldn't stomach it anymore. Who am...? I wondered. I'm not here to fulfill someone else's expectations. That's why I needed to get away for a while. I needed time alone.

They drain your energy and blur your judgement. Be calm and make an objective decision. What is it that you want to do in this world? Once you've decided on your direction in life, find a way to work towards that goal.

For what?
...You'll probably say this is childish, but I feel so powerless... I'm not as strong as people think. There's nothing I can do. That's why I did as Rictor expected of me...to be recognized, for a sense of direction. I wanted to become strong...to gain power and status. But, what then? What purpose would it all serve? ...You saved my life. We had a deal, and I held up my end of the bargain. But, things are different now. I sincerely want to help you. That is, of course, if you'll let me...
Do as you like. But, now we speak as equals. I think it's best if you lead your own comrades. I prefer to operate alone. Contact me if the need arises.
Thanks, Cybil.
First, we must find the mermaid with the golden scales. Surely she's attracted attention somewhere. If someone's seen her, rumors may have spread...

Hmmm.

mermaid. Her whole body was shining in gold...

uh dude you're the-

Yeah what she said.

Why's that suddenly so important?
There's something I need to look into. I'm going to visit a small church on the beaches of Solea...

Unlike the last two places, Solea's red now. You know what that-

Oh c'mon I said this was a mini-update!

mmmmmnope

I will use savestates for two things: getting the spoils I want from Quest Mode and avoiding random encounters, because man there's this little thing called PACING and you're ruining it when you pull that!

Anyway yeah who saw this coming???

But before that!

Me? ...No reason. But, why are you here?

Woah hey you look different. New haircut?

Look... You're bleeding. Tell me what happened, Eleanor.

No, it was my fault. I didn't do as I was told to...

I'm pretty sure every single major character in this game has some kind of problem with a paternal figure!

Mercury, what are you doing? You came here because you found the sanctuary, right? Did things go smoothly...with her?

Pretty sure she's referring to Cybil here, mostly because why would Eleanor be jealous of a mermaid.

I talked to her as you suggested. I guess I was worried for nothing. She's a very reasonable person. Nothing seems to have changed since I was here last... I'm sorry for what happened then. I was confused and didn't understand why I felt as I did.
That's alright.
Thank you, Eleanor.

You told me before that you had seen a golden mermaid.

Mermaids usually live in the ocean to the west, but sometimes they are seen closer to where people live.
Listen. I'm looking for one mermaid in particular, one with golden scales. Do you remember anything?

I don't understand!

Uh oh

...Just for that...?

Merc c'mon man.

I have nothing to tell you... Are you just using me? I won't tell you anything!

Oh good. Great, even.

wait what are you doing here

Oh hey, it's all four types of dragons!

Father Hamen told me that you're very knowledgeable about mermaids. We're searching for one, and Commander Briffaut would like to speak to you. Please come with us.

Oh poo poo it's the dragon police!

Why?! What did he tell you...?

We don't want to get rough. Just cooperate.
If you won't come, then you leave us no choice... Capture that girl! We can't afford to let her share what she knows with anyone. Do whatever's necessary to keep her quiet.

This really just isn't Eleanor's day.

No he's a ninja. We've been over this.

What can you do to protect her?
Silence! I won't let you lay a finger on her!

Can Mercury protect his forlorn love? Will Eleanor learn to trust him? Is anybody going to punch Hamen in the face? And why are those dragons following a dragoon, those guys hate dragons! All this and more, on the next exciting episode of LPTO:StL(KoL)!

Looper fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 22, 2014

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Jesus Christ, I always got the feeling that Hamen was a pedo even when this game first came out and I was 15. The way Eleanor is so off when she says, "He's my...foster father," at the beginning, and dear god, the bleeding. I don't even want to know WHERE she's bleeding from.

Also love the sprite work in this game. It's not particularly awesome or revolutionary especially when Golden Sun came out the same year, but it's still better than even the LUCT remake that came out 3 years ago. You tell where Squeenix took lessons in making the FFTA sprite work.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
:stare:

I'm pretty sure the implication is supposed to be that Haman hit her, not... that.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

And in fine Tactics Ogre tradition, the ruling forces on the island are trying to get their hands on a maiden for nebulous purposes!

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Shitenshi posted:

Jesus Christ, I always got the feeling that Hamen was a pedo even when this game first came out and I was 15. The way Eleanor is so off when she says, "He's my...foster father," at the beginning, and dear god, the bleeding. I don't even want to know WHERE she's bleeding from.

Yeah uhhhhh... I don't think that's what they were going for, I think he just beat her for helping out a fugitive from Rananculus.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Yeah, while Hamen is clearly physically abusive of Eleanor (probably because of Ivanna or Mercury or both), there really isn't anything in the text to suggest anything further. But I mean, hitting your kid is still pretty loving awful and totally justifies her agitated behavior.

And yeah, KoL does take a lot of cues from LUCT, though Eleanor probably isn't a secret princess. We already have Ivanna for that! :v:

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I suppose what gets me is the priest cliche, and she said she didn't do what she was supposed to do. She never says what that something is, and there can't be anything really physically taxing that he would need for the upkeep of a church, let alone that she would have probably gained strength over the years if she was really doing physical work.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I can't believe I just found this thread! This is literally my favorite game of all time and oh man oh man oh man someone is doing a lets play.

Shitenshi posted:

I suppose what gets me is the priest cliche, and she said she didn't do what she was supposed to do. She never says what that something is, and there can't be anything really physically taxing that he would need for the upkeep of a church, let alone that she would have probably gained strength over the years if she was really doing physical work.

:( Why can't Eleanor catch a break? I remember hating her when I first played the game, but slowly noticed that she just has such a terrible life also I was very bad at keeping her alive in the last fight :v: Bad end for Eleanor!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh dear. Is this another branching point? Can we get her killed and lose our lead?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Glazius posted:

Oh dear. Is this another branching point? Can we get her killed and lose our lead?

Nope. Eleanor must survive the battle or it's game over.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Most storyline battle guests (like Ivanna earlier on) have an item called a Transfer Stone, which lets them escape the battle if they 'die'. (this is not a big spoiler) Eleanor is the first guest that doesn't, which is a big hint that she needs to be protected this fight.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Solea

Last time, we came across the aftermath of a fight and then got in a fight and then got in a real fight.

Fight it out!

So here's Eleanor. Despite her new haircut/portrait/sprite/class, she's still as well-armed as you'd expect of a country part-time monk. That is a pretty necklace, though!

Karcist, the enemy leader, is a dragoon. They're kinda like upgraded knights except they trade divine favor for a set of brick walls forged into armor, though they still get a slot for one basic elemental spell like many other classes. Dragoons also specialize in killing the poo poo out of dragons, which is compounded by the Fafnir's dragon-slaying ability, so we'll be sure to keep Neurion the hell away.

She simply turns and looks at the wall Mercury before the mission begins.

So yeah, while technically this is a Defeat Leader map like most, Eleanor is kinda really important, too!

Thankfully she suffers no delusions about her current combat capabilities.

Most of the team moves up and tries to cover Eleanor as best we can right now. Deneb and Geese keep toward the church.

And Merc moves right in on the archer who got in Eleanor's face last time.

While the bad guys make a beeline for the girl we're supposed to be protecting, this isn't too bad of a mission. The archers are the only ranged units and dragons have terrible movement and Karcist has weird priorities AND Eleanor's not an idiot!

Case in point.

I say this about pretty much every boss, but Karcist hits like a

well no actually that's not too bad. Dragoons are strong yeah, but unless you're a dragon, they're more about defense.

Poor guy just can't hit Mercury, though.

SOP is to just go ahead and defeat everyone, but this archer in particular (the one who approaches Eleanor pre-fight) has a neat hat that I don't think is obtainable elsewhere.

Geese continues along the high ground as his magic charges up.

While Krysm contributes to the Anti-Archer Effort.

One thing the Tactics Ogres don't do but should is differentiate between allied and enemy monster palettes, which can be a little confusing!

Though I guess it doesn't really matter if both purple dragons are on our side (hopefully).

Have a clearer gif of Deneb's unique skill.

TARDIS patches Eleanor up and actually isn't stuck on healing duty this entire battle! Two guesses why.

just punchin dragons right in the kisser

These dragons aren't too bad, just keep them away from Eleanor.

:saddowns:

The other archer keeps shooting an innocent teenager, but at least this is the last bit of damage she takes!

Karcist's attempts on the not-so-innocent teenager are rebuffed once again.

Ideally, Eleanor would head toward the church and we could take a more solid stand there, but this works too and is more narratively appropriate, I guess.

The Bregor-Frocobo tag team finishes off the first archer.

While TARDIS starts work on the second.

Dragon kebabs are a rare Valerian delicacy known for their toughness. Connoisseurs scoff at such plebian filth as dragon steak.

Krysm picks up the Lancer emblem for her culinary exploits, finally. I don't think spears are agreeing with her.

Neurion lightning breathes all over Archer B, stunning her and leaving her boxed in.

I'm sorry for trotting out the old "logic in video games, lol" routine again but how charming can you really be to someone's butt? Or maybe dragons are secretly dogs.

The answer is of course who cares

Even with Geese's magical might, we still can't make too much of a dent in this guy.

Though curiously, AoE magic can't be counterattacked even from close range for some reason, which Mercury capitalizes on.

hot dragon/dragon action itt

Speaking of hot. I'm not 100% sure about this but I wanna say Mercury is immune to status ailments by virtue of being a Leader, so half the danger of dragon breath is lost on him.

Speaking of status ailments, Karcist gets fed up with Merc's bullshit and runs over to unstun his dragon buddy.

You just keep on doing what you're doing.

Neurion comes really close to finishing this archer off, but after his attack,

I switch tacks entirely and try to do more charming for some reason except, well,

that's gonna be a problem.

That works fine, though!

With another dragon successfully charmed, TARDIS finishes off that poor archer left hanging earlier.

Now unfortunately, KoL doesn't allow you to target inanimate obstacles like shrubs or rocks so hitting both those dragons means Krysm has to take one for the team.

Or she would, if she hadn't grabbed her Necklace of Resist before the fight started. Masterful planning, me.

Steadily incrementing whittling down of these two duders. Fighting such tanky enemies is real bad for your self-esteem, I almost wish there were gremlins around.

Funny thing about charmed enemies, they don't register each other as fellow members of the Deneb Fan Club.

Man, after those nagas, these guys are just anticlimactic.

Karcist again with the clutch recovery.

Eleanor continues doing what Guests do best.

Leaving TARDIS to finish off the weakened fire dragon.

Bregor defies gravity to keep Karcist on his toes.

Geese hones his ice-sculpting skills. Merc if you could just rotate that one a bit it'd be perfect, thanks!

And the rest of the team dances around each other to keep wearing down the enemy.

You can never escape!

You're a credit to your people, purple dragon guy.

Poison isn't even an element! Dude just had some bad fairies for lunch or something.

That aside, Frocobo manages to finish off the water dragon with a counterattack.

Having run out of ailing compatriots to aid (again thanks to counterattacks), Karcist perpetuates what is quickly becoming a frustrating pattern among the enemies of this game.

At this point, Eleanor's starting to get a little bored and goes for a swim.

"okay Merc honey I want you to help me but not too much okay gotta keep it exciting for the kids at home"

oops

Geese is running out of dragons to frost.

Haven't seen that happen in a while! Not a big deal, though.

It's around this point that I finally notice Frocobo's had an extra command for about ninety-one experience units of time. Let's see what it does!

I'll take it!

Sure Karcist, you can tank an entire army, but how's your personality??

Mercury's last level up gave him enough Int to reap that sweet sweet AoE, and still somehow negate counters. Though Karcist is getting dangerously close to that loot bag...

Acquired Sherwood Hat.

Yoink. The AI in KoL isn't ANYWHERE NEAR as downright rude about stealing your hard-earned spoils as LUCT, but better safe than sorry. The Sherwood Hat is part of a nifty set of woodsman equipment. We're nowhere near completing any, but putting all four pieces of a gear set on someone gives them some special bonus which may or may not be really great. The Dragon Shield and that Dragon Eyes ring are also part of a set.

Karcist, look man, I'm sure you have a great personality!

now please stop doing that

okay just for that

SAY GOODBYE TO YOUR LITTLE DRAGON

that wasn't Neurion right okay good

At this point everyone's just sitting around, waiting for Karcist to stop healing himself and get closer.

He obliges, but stays in the water. Even better!

Meanwhile Eleanor's been chatting up Deneb.

"Nice weather huh?"
"Yeah sure, I can throw portable suns in the air y'know"
"Neat"

No lyrics this time. I know, I'm sorry, too.

For her, you're willing to make Commander Briffaut your enemy...?

Y'mean this guy?
Hi!
'cause uhh pretty sure we've been enemies, like for a while now?

Anyway the answer's YES ya big dummy

Fafnir is a sweet sword that is going straight to Mercury yesterday. No element, but it does bonus damage to dragons as befitting the name. (Fafnir was a Norse dwarf who was morphed into a big nasty dragon by his greed for gold and was eventually killed by Known Shitkicker Sigurd)

We also pick up the Dragon Eyes. Dragons all the way down.

"Your pumpkins do WHAT"

---

Okay who am I fooling, I lied about the name of this track. It's Eleanor's song. She's a main character. Spoilers!!

You're looking for the golden mermaid, and you have a message for her from the mermaid leader, right? ...I know Berevra, the golden mermaid... I know where she is.

I mean, that's pretty much what Mercury told you. I wonder if Cybil said anything else?

What's that?

It's small, but there's a rosy shine that may or may not be in that title image in the OP.

Berevra gave me this necklace. I never met my real parents. My step-parents were very kind, but I had no friends among the villagers. That's why I was always alone on the beach near our village, watching the ocean. We talked and swam... It was so much fun. But one day, she came and told me she wouldn't be able to see me anymore. The volcanic activity on the seafloor was worsening.

Merc, please, you are never going to get a girlfriend if you keep this up

It's been many years. I can't guarantee that she'll still be there. Besides, she might not want to see anyone... But, do you plan on going anyway?
I'll go meet her alone, and I won't tell anyone where she is. Don't worry, Eleanor. I'll come back. I promise...

I won't stay here again, alone, waiting for you to return.
I need your help, but I don't want to put you in danger. That's why...
"That's why..." what? Listen, Mercury, don't you know? I want to be with you. So...please...take me with you.

If you're thinking that second choice doesn't really look anything like a NO, then you might have a future in JRPG romance! There's no talking Eleanor out of this and Merc relents either way, but the first choice is gentler and more reciprocal of Eleanor's feelings (which basically means pick it if you want a cool thing later).

Seriously, option B is "If you're so serious about it...then, we'll go together." But you should always pick A in these obvious recruitment scenes anyway.

...OK, let's go together. I'll protect you.
I don't want to be a burden, so please teach me how to fight.
If you'd like.

I like the implication there that Soldiers can't fight. But anyway, we're all done here.

Join me next time, when things heat up (in more ways than one)!

---
Eleanor Official Double Whammy Art:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Look Mercury, she's already got her bandage socks on, of course she's coming with you.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Update! Dragoons look cool, but they're a bit useless in practice. Most later battles are dominated by faster classes (especially a male-only class we'll inevitably get soonish, but also a cool female-only class), or magic users (and after a few battles we can get two pretty cool unique ones). Like Knights, they're reliable as all get out, but very slow, and dragons don't show up terribly much.

Speaking of dragons, I noticed ours is of Neutral alignment. We've already seen the neutral Nagas in Rana, so I hope you get a hold of an alignment-changing item to make him Lawful, or even better, Chaotic :getin:

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Coucho Marx posted:

Update! Dragoons look cool, but they're a bit useless in practice. Most later battles are dominated by faster classes (especially a male-only class we'll inevitably get soonish, but also a cool female-only class), or magic users (and after a few battles we can get two pretty cool unique ones). Like Knights, they're reliable as all get out, but very slow, and dragons don't show up terribly much.

Speaking of dragons, I noticed ours is of Neutral alignment. We've already seen the neutral Nagas in Rana, so I hope you get a hold of an alignment-changing item to make him Lawful, or even better, Chaotic :getin:

Why stop at just one? Let's experience the full gamut of alignments AND elements! (But ultimately settle on Chaotic, of course!)

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I remember spending a large amount of time in this game just grinding for more element change items so I could play around with the dragons more. Then I, well... I settled on Chaotic

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Does the enemy have an infinite supply of medical herbs, or are there a fixed amount to run through?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Glazius posted:

Does the enemy have an infinite supply of medical herbs, or are there a fixed amount to run through?

I'm fairly certain it's infinite, like most SRPGs. That's one of the downsides of this and LUCT, everyone can and will use items, unlike FFT where you need to equip the item command to use your infinite stock of potions and Phoenix Downs.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Looper posted:

Bregor defies gravity to keep Karcist on his toes.

Levitating, whip-wielding, bald bearded badass. I love it. And it's not even the class I requested yet!

Also I love the little narration bits in the flow of battle, like hot dragon/dragon action itt. Cracks me up.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Y'know how summer's supposed to be all relaxing and give you a lot more free time?

Well that's a load of garbage. :(

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Looper posted:

Y'know how summer's supposed to be all relaxing and give you a lot more free time?

Well that's a load of garbage. :(

I hear that. Take your time, Looper.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Just chiming in to say I hope everything's okay, Looper :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonotoneMorgan
Nov 20, 2013

The saddest day in Octavian's life was the day he was asked to shave his mustache.
In the interests of a varied party, I'd like to put myself down as a potential recruit - that is Morgan the Mermaid!
Alignment/element are Looper's choice, though I wouldn't say no to being Chaotic :getin:

e: Take your time and get back to it whenever you're ready. Just hope everything's alright too :ohdear:

• Locked thread