Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I'll check them out for sure. Especially when I get tired of grinding out my American tanks.

I prefer accurate sustained fire above everything else because I'm starting to pay attention to the reticle and when to shoot (the yellow thing I mentioned earlier was on the loading screen where it shows yellow, orange that looks like yellow, and red. In game is fine). Hertzers are my bane though. Straight fuckin run when I see them on any tank because I can't get them.

I'm starting my medium tree and am about 10k from my first heavy. The Lee is weird, especially having a fixed turret on a medium tank is hard to get used to. Not too bad cause I've been playing TD and Farty for a bit but still aggravating at times.

I'm having fun which is the most important part. Especially with the T3 tanks because the Ameican ones seem cock of the wall sometimes. Working on TIV to advance and seem really under gunned or under protected. The M8A1 particularly will get hit from the front by some tanks and I'll lose a lot of health. Even when I think I'm at an angle. It's mobility makes up though because being able to follow scouts and mediums and pick off their kills from far away without getting detected much is awesome. And for running away. I will often go Arty hunting with it too if they are being a bother and no one is flanking that side.

It'll be fun with more people of course, so please add me: Soulex555 for tanks games. I play Destiny and Soccer games but if you send me an invite I'll more than likely join. Destiny is in a wait period for the new expansion and football is single player mostly. I'll go out and be rude to pubbies by humping their tanks.

Also really stuck as arty right now. I'll go an entire match without a kill or die because I get flanked and no one stayed in the area to protect Arty (which I do a bit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Learnin Derby
Jan 26, 2005
It can, I totally agree. Played the line up to the FV304, but not going to go any further.I just don't like how passive arty is. I don't feel like I have any influence over a battle. And I can't count the number of times when games have come down to a retard slap fight between two artillery. I'd rather have an extra medium or heavy in place of artillery.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I've had some games that have rocked. Plus some players do not expect an arty coming right at them and then get blasted with their gun head on. That's the most satisfying kill right there

Learnin Derby
Jan 26, 2005

Soulex posted:

I'll check them out for sure. Especially when I get tired of grinding out my American tanks.

I prefer accurate sustained fire above everything else because I'm starting to pay attention to the reticle and when to shoot (the yellow thing I mentioned earlier was on the loading screen where it shows yellow, orange that looks like yellow, and red. In game is fine). Hertzers are my bane though. Straight fuckin run when I see them on any tank because I can't get them.

I'm starting my medium tree and am about 10k from my first heavy. The Lee is weird, especially having a fixed turret on a medium tank is hard to get used to. Not too bad cause I've been playing TD and Farty for a bit but still aggravating at times.

I'm having fun which is the most important part. Especially with the T3 tanks because the Ameican ones seem cock of the wall sometimes. Working on TIV to advance and seem really under gunned or under protected. The M8A1 particularly will get hit from the front by some tanks and I'll lose a lot of health. Even when I think I'm at an angle. It's mobility makes up though because being able to follow scouts and mediums and pick off their kills from far away without getting detected much is awesome. And for running away. I will often go Arty hunting with it too if they are being a bother and no one is flanking that side.

It'll be fun with more people of course, so please add me: Soulex555 for tanks games. I play Destiny and Soccer games but if you send me an invite I'll more than likely join. Destiny is in a wait period for the new expansion and football is single player mostly. I'll go out and be rude to pubbies by humping their tanks.

Also really stuck as arty right now. I'll go an entire match without a kill or die because I get flanked and no one stayed in the area to protect Arty (which I do a bit)

American tanks are a great starting point. The Lee is funky, but I liked it. But I have a habit of liking horrible tanks. But the turrets on the American heavies get good, really good. I just didn't want you to get the wrong impression of the Brits. As I said, they had a different philosophy of tanking during that time, especially with heavy tanks, so alot of people end up not liking them.

Nothing wrong with humping tanks. I do it all the time. I love the rage messages for people being a babby about you bumping into their precious digital tank. And I will park behind tier X tanks that are being retards. You wanna camp in the back in your Maus. That's okay my borsig needs the armor.

And I'll send you a friend's request next time I'm on. I usually platoon anyways. Which will be monday, because gently caress weekend pubbies, and double gently caress weekend pubbies on an event weekend. Had anywhere from 60-90% win rate this week, until last night. Was around 30% or so. I stopped keeping track.

And that's the trouble with artillery. Much less chance of doing anything, and if you have crappy teammates you will get sideswiped. If you have not yet switch to square map and check it often so you know when you need to move. If you learn one thing, make it reading the map.

If it is in the game I expect it, and rarely get hit anymore. So when I do I get extra frustrated. But arty is mostly balanced. Can't think of a more balanced arty than the M53/55. drat sky pigs.

Learnin Derby fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 15, 2015

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Anime_Otaku posted:

Is the 12.5cm on the Sturer Emil meant as a howitzer? It only packs 15 rounds, please tell me if the Roomba is worth all this suffering and free xping gold for.

The Borsig probably rocks, but I've had really awful luck with it so far. Getting spotted early by scouts in pretty much every round I've been in it so far and whatnot. I've been playing it really conservatively and it still happens, and like all tanks in that line, spotted = dead.

As for the Sturer Emil, my condolences.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Learnin Derby posted:

American tanks are a great starting point. The Lee is funky, but I liked it. But I have a habit of liking horrible tanks. But the turrets on the American heavies get good, really good. I just didn't want you to get the wrong impression of the Brits. As I said, they had a different philosophy of tanking during that time, especially with heavy tanks, so alot of people end up not liking them.

Nothing wrong with humping tanks. I do it all the time. I love the rage messages for people being a babby about you bumping into their precious digital tank. And I will park behind tier X tanks that are being retards. You wanna camp in the back in your Maus. That's okay my borsig needs the armor.

And I'll send you a friend's request next time I'm on. I usually platoon anyways. Which will be monday, because gently caress weekend pubbies, and double gently caress weekend pubbies on an event weekend. Had anywhere from 60-90% win rate this week, until last night. Was around 30% or so. I stopped keeping track.

And that's the trouble with artillery. Much less chance of doing anything, and if you have crappy teammates you will get sideswiped. If you have not yet switch to square map and check it often so you know when you need to move. If you learn one thing, make it reading the map.

If it is in the game I expect it, and rarely get hit anymore. So when I do I get extra frustrated. But arty is mostly balanced. Can't think of a more balanced arty than the M53/55. drat sky pigs.

Nah, not the wrong impression. I plan on experiencing all tanks at some point within reason. My goal though, is to get the hellcat and T1 right now. After that I'll probably branch off and start British. They seem like they have some great light/medium tanks worth trying out.

Switched to control B set up and did the toggle hud/radar thing. B is awesome it seems cause nothing changes except the D pad.

I finally leveled the M8A1 to get the next TD in line. I love the M8A1 so Ill probably keep it. It's fast and fun. The Lee isn't too bad. I know I can switch ammo but I'm not keen on spending gold for Ammo. It's not that serious for me.

I did notice, I was in the Lee and I could not hurt a light tank no matter where I hit him. Always bounced off. It was super frustrating.

Esit: researched. Not bought. 400k!?

Soulex fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 15, 2015

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013
Been running pretty well with M37, got the upgrade and earning for the next Arty (15K just for experience). One thing that's been frustrating me is when the firing circles practically all on the target and I still can't get a hit now and then.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Soulex posted:

Nah, not the wrong impression. I plan on experiencing all tanks at some point within reason. My goal though, is to get the hellcat and T1 right now. After that I'll probably branch off and start British. They seem like they have some great light/medium tanks worth trying out.

Switched to control B set up and did the toggle hud/radar thing. B is awesome it seems cause nothing changes except the D pad.

I finally leveled the M8A1 to get the next TD in line. I love the M8A1 so Ill probably keep it. It's fast and fun. The Lee isn't too bad. I know I can switch ammo but I'm not keen on spending gold for Ammo. It's not that serious for me.

I did notice, I was in the Lee and I could not hurt a light tank no matter where I hit him. Always bounced off. It was super frustrating.

Esit: researched. Not bought. 400k!?

You can buy premium ammo with silver instead of gold. Highlight the premium ammo and push Y. Depending on the tank, this can be ridiculously expensive (4,800 a shell for the KV-1S/IS/IS-2/112, for example). I run roughly 3 parts standard, 1 part premium in all my tanks, as premium shells are really really useful when you are bottom tier.

Also I really can't recommend the Chinese heavy or Russian IS lines enough. I'd strongly recommend going down one of those two lines next over the British line. Maybe it's just a function of the tanks in those two lines, but I easily chew through British tanks of all kinds no matter the tier. At the very least, it seems like British tanks require a really goddamn good driver to actually do anything useful.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 15, 2015

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013
How are the Russian TDs? I have one but unsure if I should continue working with it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cubey posted:

You can buy premium ammo with silver instead of gold. Highlight the premium ammo and push Y. Depending on the tank, this can be ridiculously expensive (4,800 a shell for the KV-1S/IS/IS-2/112, for example). I run roughly 3 parts standard, 1 part premium in all my tanks, as premium shells are really really useful when you are bottom tier.

Also I really can't recommend the Chinese heavy or Russian IS lines enough. I'd strongly recommend going down one of those two lines next over the British line. Maybe it's just a function of the tanks in those two lines, but I easily chew through British tanks of all kinds no matter the tier. At the very least, it seems like British tanks require a really goddamn good driver to actually do anything useful.

Thanks. I'll give it a shot. Got to grind out 150k silver anyways. I heard nothing but good things about the IS too so we'll see.

Yeah I have to check out cost mainly to see if it's worth it to me.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Indubitable Leg posted:

How are the Russian TDs? I have one but unsure if I should continue working with it.

Well the later ones have crazy alpha but I can pen them from the front most of the time. They are also pretty mobile. So they seem good as long as you don't get shot.

Soulex posted:

Thanks. I'll give it a shot. Got to grind out 150k silver anyways. I heard nothing but good things about the IS too so we'll see.

Yeah I have to check out cost mainly to see if it's worth it to me.

In the Russian version of that line you don't even need to wait for the IS for things to get great, the KV-1S is where poo poo gets real. That thing is an absolute monster.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 15, 2015

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

What is alpha?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Soulex posted:

What is alpha?

Alpha is the amount of damage you do in one shot. Generally, the Russian and Chinese tanks do a ton of damage in one shot but have long reload times. This is in opposition to tanks like the Tiger, which reload quicker but do less damage per shot. Personally I prefer tanks with higher alpha, as to do well in a tank with a quicker reload requires you to kinda sit out in the open, whereas I can take a shot with the IS-2 for 400 damage, then duck behind cover and not get shot for the 10 seconds it takes to reload. And really, as the game exists right now, it seems geared more towards alpha anyway.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So since there are no clans, is there a goon pseudo clan, or at least a list of who is playing which server.

Maybe I am blind, but didn't see it in the op.

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013
Right now I think it's only platoons you can do via xbox live or friendlists.

Learnin Derby
Jan 26, 2005
I wouldn't say that brits require a really good driver, just a different kind of driving, especially at the higher tiers. With the lower tier mediums flanking is the best option. A And as far as Russians, that accuracy.

And soulex, what model of light was it, and what gun were you using?

And has anyone had their game clock be out of sync with everyone else? The other night my I had on average 30 seconds less on mine than my platoon mates.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I have no idea what type it was. It might just have been a string of unlucky hits as I was far away.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Learnin Derby posted:

I wouldn't say that brits require a really good driver, just a different kind of driving, especially at the higher tiers. With the lower tier mediums flanking is the best option. A And as far as Russians, that accuracy.

Russian accuracy is meaningless because they are brawlers. You get right up in their faces and destroy them. If you are missing shots in an IS series tank, you are too far away and thusly playing the tank very wrong.

Learnin Derby
Jan 26, 2005

Soulex posted:

I have no idea what type it was. It might just have been a string of unlucky hits as I was far away.

That was probably it. Shells do loose penetration over distance. If you haven't already the WoT wiki as worth a read. Knowing how the game actually works will make a difference in your performance as well. But it can get pretty boring.

And yes, for the most part they are brawlers, but I wouldn't say accuracy is meaningless. I don't snipe with them, but for the most part I'm not gonna face hug everyone in them either. I guess it depends on your definition of brawling. I'll be damned if I'm out front in an IS-8, it just doesn't have the armor. And in the case of the KV-2 the bigger the number the better.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Indubitable Leg posted:

Right now I think it's only platoons you can do via xbox live or friendlists.

Yeah, I know. There are some ghost clans with external to Xbox websites for organizations, but really I am just looking for goons to platoon with on the East Coast server.

*edit is friendly fire not possible on the console?

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 16, 2015

Learnin Derby
Jan 26, 2005
Nope, and thank god. Used to be only arty could cause friendly damage, but that didn't last.

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013
I'm on the east coast server. Don't know about anyone else though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

West coast. Lack of friendly fire is nice. I love griefs and griefing stories, and the first video of WoT I saw was some dude blowing out a teammates tread to beat him to this last guy hiding behind a rock. I laughed but damned if that happens to me.

Bought my first (besides the gifted T5 Heavy) T5 American TD. Plays good, like it a lot. That grind is gonna suck though. Especially since I'm gonna need the better part of a million silver to buy it. Holy poo poo.

• Locked thread