Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Why do people hate Enhanced Client? Is it just nostalgia?

exactly it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Well that's a shame, because from what I've seen, Enhanced Client is exactly what it claims to be. Shame the popular shards that cash in on the "we'll take you back to Renaissance" refuse to support it. Every server that offers it is completely optional so I don't understand the controversy, especially when it'd attract a new audience that wants the UO experience without the extremely dated feel the clients have.

Hopefully it'll become standard on these servers considering the old clients are technically limiting those of us with top of the line hardware.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
But playing UO trades exclusively in nostalgia though? If people were clamoring for quality of life improvements or slick new UI elements they would not be playing UO. Why take the time or effort to support a client that your player base will not utilize because they probably left before The 3rd Dawn expansion. Plus I personally think it looks muddy as hell and Origin was trying to salvage assets from a failed 3d MMO and repurpose them in a scaled down fixed perspective game.

UO is not a growing community, it's a transitive one chasing the feeling of a 1997 or 1998 or so MMO. You don't need to modernize because you are not going to attract new players.

Captain Internet fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 8, 2015

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Captain Internet posted:

UO is not a growing community, it's a transitive one chasing the feeling of a 1997 or 1998 or so MMO. You don't need to modernize because you are not going to attract new players.

Yep

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Captain Internet posted:

But playing UO trades exclusively in nostalgia though? If people were clamoring for quality of life improvements or slick new UI elements they would not be playing UO. Why take the time or effort to support a client that your player base will not utilize because they probably left before The 3rd Dawn expansion. Plus I personally think it looks muddy as hell and Origin was trying to salvage assets from a failed 3d MMO and repurpose them in a scaled down fixed perspective game.

I don't know about that, many people are looking for an EVE-like experience on the ground. Unfortunately, there are only two options. Galaxies Emulator or UO shards. Imagine how popular this thread would be if it was a populated server, it was accessible to new users without setting up macros in some external options menu thing and supported higher resolutions and looked like a 2003-era Infinity Engine game rather than 1997 UO as we all know it.

There's definitely some untapped potential here and it'd be a shame for it to die when the community becomes disinterested or out of technical limitations.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

No one who didn't play this game when it was a real actual thing will just spontaneously start on a free server without something severely wrong with them or a friend to drag them absolutely kicking and screaming through the terrible UI, poorly explained systems and brutal lose everything game play.

Slapping a new coat of paint and making your backpack easier to deal with in no way changes the fact that you can just get on any number of free Korean MMOs that aren't so punitive.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

the idea that new players would stick around without the above is hilariously absurd. if that minute group of newbies exists, they heard stories from uo lovers and resolved themselves to see it through

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
ebolts go pew pew pew pew. flamestrike goes WHOOSH

grossghost
Jan 13, 2011
Bumping the thread for Baltimore Heroin.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

I was told to request EQMS forum access here.

Blazing Zero posted:

the idea that new players would stick around without the above is hilariously absurd. if that minute group of newbies exists, they heard stories from uo lovers and resolved themselves to see it through

I plan on sticking around because nowadays it seems like every sandbox MMO in development is either an incredible disappointment, not a sandbox MMO, or both.

Macnult fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 10, 2015

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Macnult posted:

I plan on sticking around because nowadays it seems like every sandbox MMO in development is either an incredible disappointment, not a sandbox MMO, or both.

you've never heard of or played uo before? if not, im genuinely surprised

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

My cousin was obsessed with UO back in the day and I had a general idea of what the game was like, but it didn't interest me at the time. The first time I actually played was maybe a week or two ago.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

Macnult posted:

We will get you kills soon, I promise. If you think you have the hang of moving around and keeping up with the group, its time for you to make a mage so you can start doing the lords work :)

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbNPKe0Jufk

UO Revealed just released a demonstration of their trade pack system. A good average of 50-75 people online every day at launch. Seems like it has potential.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

UO Revealed just released a demonstration of their trade pack system. A good average of 50-75 people online every day at launch. Seems like it has potential.

Stop posting about that shard in this thread.. no one wants to play a shard with 50 people online, especially when all we do is PVP(cant pvp against no players).

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Please update the thread when this shard goes IDOC.

FAT-N-GAY-4-PAY
Sep 22, 2005

Is this your server or something?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Yes, please don't post anything UO related in this thread. We can hardly keep up with the 2 posts a day already.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

jabro posted:

Yes, please don't post anything UO related in this thread. We can hardly keep up with the 2 posts a day already.

Goons ruined UO for a lot of people while EQMS was gone and thats probably killed a good amount of interest for this thread.

Who the gently caress wants to play UO when all your guild does is go fishing(wish I was joking). Now that EQMS is back, all goons do on UOF is poo poo on pubbies and drink their tears so the UO'ing is worth it again.

Ninogan
Apr 2, 2012

FormerFatty posted:

Goons ruined UO for a lot of people while EQMS was gone and thats probably killed a good amount of interest for this thread.

Who the gently caress wants to play UO when all your guild does is go fishing(wish I was joking). Now that EQMS is back, all goons do on UOF is poo poo on pubbies and drink their tears so the UO'ing is worth it again.

I think you are way too optimistic on how many still care about UO. The numbers are diminishing more and more. Hoping that you can put UO in the Games section is again way too optimistic. It's an old outdated game for people that have nostalgia for it.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

Pixelslol posted:

I think you are way too optimistic on how many still care about UO. The numbers are diminishing more and more. Hoping that you can put UO in the Games section is again way too optimistic. It's an old outdated game for people that have nostalgia for it.

Its still the only full loot/full PVP game worth playing(as sad as that is).

There was darkfall which was ruined.
Albion Online isnt out yet.
All the other potential full loot/pvp games are likely vaporware.

I dont think UO will ever the numbers of a modern MMO obviously but theres still 600-700 people online on UOF at a time which means plenty of people to kill.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
Counter-Strike GO is full loot and full pvp :cop: :) :coolfish: :tbear:

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

http://uoforum.com/threads/looking-for-orcs.64630/

Orcs are back.

They have the orc fort set up as a player house, and a huge area around it is now a no-mount pvp zone(no statloss).

Sound fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 19, 2015

FAT-N-GAY-4-PAY
Sep 22, 2005

Sound posted:

http://uoforum.com/threads/looking-for-orcs.64630/

Orcs are back.

They have the orc fort set up as a player house, and a huge area around it is now a no-mount pvp zone(no statloss).

That's awesome. Orcs are literally the only RP'ing guys I enjoy.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

The UI looks good, now if I only had the time and motivation to get back on since my plot fell.

Also, IDK what the one guy was talking about--some of the best times with goons in UOF was just making GBS threads around, going on treasure hunts and doing other cool poo poo with other goons. I mean, making GBS threads on pubbies is nice, but most goons had EQMS characters (myself excluded) and did other UO-y poo poo when no one felt like PVPing (which was admittedly rare) or there wasn't a large enough group to go trolling for pubbies

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

life is killing me posted:

The UI looks good, now if I only had the time and motivation to get back on since my plot fell.

Also, IDK what the one guy was talking about--some of the best times with goons in UOF was just making GBS threads around, going on treasure hunts and doing other cool poo poo with other goons. I mean, making GBS threads on pubbies is nice, but most goons had EQMS characters (myself excluded) and did other UO-y poo poo when no one felt like PVPing (which was admittedly rare) or there wasn't a large enough group to go trolling for pubbies

To each their own but when EQMS came back we found goons were 100% doing trammy poo poo(building boats, fishing, treasure hunting) which kind of goes against what goons should be doing in a full loot/PVP game and thats making pubbies post poo poo like this:

[03:41:19] <a_boss> rofl eqms you bunch of bored faggots
[03:41:20] <a_boss> goto bed
[03:41:30] <a_boss> rolling 10 deep at bridge
[03:41:40] <a_boss> no lives LOL

Dr.Hashshashin
Jul 7, 2015

DABS ALL DAY
Any sweet vids from goons playing uo?

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006
heres one from faction pvp last week -- not as fun as smashing tons of blues at champs or other PVE events.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfiPrh-qr80

FormerFatty fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 25, 2015

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots

FormerFatty posted:

To each their own but when EQMS came back we found goons were 100% doing trammy poo poo(building boats, fishing, treasure hunting) which kind of goes against what goons should be doing in a full loot/PVP game and thats making pubbies post poo poo like this:

Why should goons play one specific way? There's lots of ways to play UO. This shard adds new ones, which is actually pretty cool. Lots of us have been playing this game since we were teenagers, got older, and don't totally dig PKing like we used to. Collecting rares and building houses is fun, treasure hunting is fun, fishing ehhhhhhhhh.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

inb4 someone uses the phrase "true goon".

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

I think it's fun playing UO in fun ways

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

jsr v2.0 posted:

Why should goons play one specific way? There's lots of ways to play UO. This shard adds new ones, which is actually pretty cool. Lots of us have been playing this game since we were teenagers, got older, and don't totally dig PKing like we used to. Collecting rares and building houses is fun, treasure hunting is fun, fishing ehhhhhhhhh.

Do whatever you want -- we take all goons as long as they are down for contributing to the cause in some way. PVE men can help us with RDAs/champs, crafters can help us stock the war machine, etc...

What was stupid was when the goons on here had no PVP presence and thus were forced to suck the dicks of other crews in order to avoid getting poo poo on -- in full loot/pvp MMOs, goons should be the ones doing the making GBS threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

FormerFatty posted:

How do I get this thread locked?

Locked it

New thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3733735

• Locked thread