Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I seem to recall that you can press jump+direction for a short speed burst in that direction while flying, but it's been years since I played this so I could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
This space stage threw me off when I was a kid. I somehow got it mixed up in my mind with another game that had an unexpected shift to a space-based shooter at the end, and whose space-shooter stage was ball-bustingly hard. The next time I played the game I was pleased to find it of perfectly reasonable difficulty. But now I can't for the life of me remember which other Gameboy game threw you a ball-breaker space level...

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Super Mario Land?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The small Mega Man sprite sorta looks like this sprite from a Mega Man 5 ROM hack.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like that tiny Megaman sprite. It sold the hell out of the scale of that thing.

Also apparently he's hooked the buster charger up to Rush, which can only end well.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I think what I admire Quintum's setting and story most for is that they completely avoid a lot of "why don't they just..." questions by not having the protagonists be utter morons about things.

This is especially noticable to me because usually, a Mega Man game banks on everyone involved being dumber than Wily, who plans to take over the world by building ridiculously blatant fortresses everywhere. So, no mean feat. In Quintum, Wily is subtle, much more so than his laughable "Dr. X" shtick, for example, which is also literally the same plan he had for Mega Man 5. And 4. Hell, even 3.

Wily will obliterate me in seconds! Oh no, what to do!

...oh yeah I can loving teleport. Right.

Dr. Light meanwhile strapped the Buster onto Rush because WHY NOT and they take the direct approach because it makes the most sense. Overall, Mega knows he's an unstoppable badass in the game (it might be just the text box limitations, but I love how he no-sells every line) and it's fantastic. "I should have defeated all of the Stardroids." :coal:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Let's not forget that Rush Marine had a buster too.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that this is not dead (and assuage my fears of the thread falling into archives). I'm just really bogged down by my Master's Thesis at the moment and not too motivated to distract myself with something that's technically also work (if pleasant and a hobby). Still! I just recorded the entire final stage in one go (which took me a bit), so I'm confident that I can soonish give you the final video, too. Just a little lifesign, cheerio :).

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Yay, good to hear, good luck with your thesis, man.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Now if only your master's thesis was Mega Man level design. You could have killed two birds with one stone that way! :D

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

It ends...today!

Music (all extremely pro click)

Wily Star
Sunstar Battle
Ending

Right as I went to the Mega Man Wiki to get Sunstar's concept art, I saw that the Mega Man killers actually have weaknesses :argh:. Consider it your homework to find out if you play the game for yourselves (which you should!).

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
It wasn't just the electric joes that got a change upon the wily reveal. Those little gun guys that pop up now have metool faces when they stand up.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
That final stage really is long. I assume you get a checkpoint after every boss but the fact that it goes over to the "next" stage seamlessly makes it feel very different than the final stages of the other games even when watching.
Overall the endgame seems like it'd be worthy to end the series, period. For just a second I even thought Dr. Wily would die right there. But then he flew off screen.

To this day, though Mega Man III remains the only Game Boy Mega Man game I actually played. I now feel like I missed out not playing the others.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Great LP Simon. That final boss music is loving killer.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Fantastic LP Simon, as always. That last level is really nice, and fighting all the Mega Man killers is fitting for the final Gameboy game.

Do you have any further plans, like LPing Mega Man X in a year or so?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

No plans at the moment. Definitely not Mega Man for the next LP (seeing as Zero 2 has been more than adequately covered recently), I need a break hard - dunno. I'll see if I get inspired, but for now I'm happy that I got this through and will focus on my real life.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
One thing I'm not sure you mentioned (though it's pretty obvious) is that Sunstar was the Wily Star's superlaser. Wily probably had him sitting in that tube and electric shocked him every time he wanted to fire at Mega Man. No wonder he was so grumpy.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.
Great LP, Simon, thanks for sharing! That was a great final boss fight, too!

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Top notch LP Simon (as usual), thanks!

Torrannor posted:

Do you have any further plans, like LPing Mega Man X in a year or so?

Maybe not any time soon, but I'd love to hear your take on MMX.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I want to see your take on mega man dos.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Discendo Vox posted:

Seconded. Even if II was poo poo.

In all seriousness though, great LP as usual Simon. Very informative, and fun to watch. I didn't know about the Gameboy series at all until your LPs, and I see I've missed some really fun games (and II). So, thanks for everything!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

Do you mean http://lparchive.org/Mega-Man-II?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's Mega Man Secundum. Mega Man for DOS is a game, and it's even worse. It had a sequel, too: Mega Man 3 for DOS. Nobody knows what happened to Mega Man 2.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Dabir posted:

That's Mega Man Secundum. Mega Man for DOS is a game, and it's even worse. It had a sequel, too: Mega Man 3 for DOS. Nobody knows what happened to Mega Man 2.

Wasn't it bundled with Leisure Suit Larry 4?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Fantastic LP, Simon. Thank you a ton for your hard work and dedication to this LP!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good lord, that boss fight at the end. It just wouldn't stop.

And I wonder if the solar guy was deliberately blowing himself up at the end? Just seems like the sort of thing somebody so proud would do, rather than get fixed up by a lower life form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janderbuilt
Mar 7, 2008

WoOt
Thanks for the LP Simon, I went through this game too and it was good fun. I guess it makes sense that the last guy looked like a beefed up Pharaoh Man since they both shared a thematic association with the sun.

• Locked thread