Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

StandardVC10 posted:

Was that before or after the horticulturalist serial killers?

I want to know what the hell he did with the sentient plant blob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Nate RFB posted:

Remember when we had episodes end with stuff like the victim waking up and falling in love with Ginko, and we all laughed since it was cute and funny. Haha, yeah. Good times.
This is what I love most about Mushishi, you never know how it's going to end.

Although this season does seem to lean more towards the tragic or at least melancholy endings than the first season did.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New episode! It wasn't scary, it wasn't mysterious, it wasn't thought provoking, it was just ugly and cruel and absolutely amazing. Also, that kid is hosed.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Nate RFB posted:

Remember when we had episodes end with stuff like the victim waking up and falling in love with Ginko, and we all laughed since it was cute and funny. Haha, yeah. Good times.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
gently caress, that was maybe the darkest Mushishi yet.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wow Ginko, that was not very responsible of you. :colbert:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Did the mangaka fall into a spiraling depression at this point in the story or something? It's been week after week of depressing stories. I'm starting to really miss the lighter tone of season one.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

Did the mangaka fall into a spiraling depression at this point in the story or something? It's been week after week of depressing stories. I'm starting to really miss the lighter tone of season one.

The anime episodes don't have the same order as the manga.
You can see a episode list and corresponding chapters with short descriptions here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mushishi_episodes#Mushi-Shi_-Next_Passage-

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.

Lurking Haro posted:

The anime episodes don't have the same order as the manga.
They're a little mixed up, but season 2 typically hasn't jumped too far from the original sequence. I think we've got three episodes left, covering chapters 47, 49, and 50.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Wow, that was a really good episode, but, uh, I think we're past due for a happy one now. :smith:

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
EDIT: Wrong thread.

Obscil fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 17, 2014

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Mushishi movie coming next year:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-12-20/mushishi-the-next-chapter-gets-film-in-early-summer/.82433 posted:

The Mushishi: The Next Chapter anime's television broadcast ended on Sunday with an announcement that the Mushishi: The Next Chapter's Suzu no Shizuku arc will play in theaters early in Summer 2015. The film will be a special compilation of "Suzu no Shizuku," which was the last two-chapter arc in the main manga series.

Not really much to say, more Mushishi is always a really good thing, though I am very interested to see what they do with a longer format and a bigger budget.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
While I'm excited to see it, I'm less thrilled that this means it's less likely to show up over here and we don't know what format.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
Rip Umakoshi forever enslaved by mushishi.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The good news is that Tree of Eternity owns and works as a season finale. It stuffs in just about every theme that the show has touched on into one big pile, and somehow manages to make it all work.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Agreed, that was stupendous as both a stand-alone episode and something to close out on (for now). A happy medium between the happier episodes we had before and the really tragic/dark ones recently.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I liked that at the end the man started telling his daughter stories again :3:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah that was a pretty great way to wrap it up.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's even better if you remember the episode that started the fall season, the one with young Ginko. "Nature isn't going to forgive you, because it was never angry in the first place" is basically the lesson this time, except we see an entire town learn it.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

That was an excellent episode. I'm just sorry to see the series end. Well, at least there'll be the film, which from what people are saying is likely to be adapting some great material. It's been years since I watched the first series of the anime, so maybe it's time for a re-watch to make up for the Mushishi-shaped hole in the week. The recent series has been superb. Although I thought the first series was excellent I'm not sure if I appreciated it as much as the recent one at the time.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The first season is still really good, but the run this year has been even better.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'm starting to rewatch the first season now that this one is done, and it's strange. Everything is almost... rushed. I recall that it seemed exceptionally slow-paced when I first watched it, but after watching the second season, it seems like scenes, lines, mushi, none of it is given a chance to breathe. Characters walk faster, they don't pause between one thing and the next, and we're given only a fleeting moment of mushi doing weird things before they start to do some other weird thing. I didn't notice the second season being particularly slow, but its pace has become what I expect, and now the first seems, if not like a cheetah, at least like an elderly man in a hurry rather than the hypothermic reptile it seemed originally.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I've just started catching up on Mushi-shi Season 2, and holy poo poo was Floral Delusion dark. My god :suspense:.

It's really telling how bad it is when Ginko's response to the situation is just to burn the house down with them inside rather than his usual attempts at mediation and curing the afflicted.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've just started catching up on Mushi-shi Season 2, and holy poo poo was Floral Delusion dark. My god :suspense:.

It's really telling how bad it is when Ginko's response to the situation is just to burn the house down with them inside rather than his usual attempts at mediation and curing the afflicted.

Minor spoilers for the rest: that's like just the tip of how dark some episodes in the second half get.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Wow, that was one rear end in a top hat turtle guarding the Mountain in Depths of Winter.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
I don't even remember how I found this show, but I did, just this past Monday. Haven't watched all of it yet, I'm trying to pace myself, but drat it's a lovely show.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Finally caught up on and finished the season. I was so glad to have a story with a happy ending after all the melancholy from most of the second half of the season.

Supposedly the movie (Bell Droplets) premiered May 16th. Any word on whether or not Crunchyroll will get it?

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

I don't think crunchyroll does movies in general so were gonna have to wait for the bds

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

I don't think crunchyroll does movies in general so were gonna have to wait for the bds

They have a few, I think. They recently picked up everything Shinkai for some Shinkai Movie Night thing for example. Plus they picked up the OVA from just before the second season so I'm optimistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

There are some movies on CR, but they're all ones that have been out for a long time.

• Locked thread