Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
2014 World Champion?
This poll is closed.
Valentino Rossi 13 19.40%
Jorge Lorenzo 13 19.40%
Dani Pedrosa 8 11.94%
Marc Marquez 33 49.25%
Total: 67 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
There has been close racing in GP like this during the year at the front. Close racing at the front doesn't happen lots in GP, when it does it's cool. The fastest guys riding the fastest bikes, that's why I watch GP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
A friend of mine wants to get into MotoGP. He's ridden for years, but never really watched a race.

If you were going to show someone a recent race, maybe one from each class but definitely at least one from the premier class, what would you show? More recent the better. Or I guess I could just pull up one of the Faster-series documentaries?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah just show him one of the documentaries - it'll help him understand what is going on and give some context that should make it more interesting.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

A friend of mine wants to get into MotoGP. He's ridden for years, but never really watched a race.

If you were going to show someone a recent race, maybe one from each class but definitely at least one from the premier class, what would you show? More recent the better. Or I guess I could just pull up one of the Faster-series documentaries?

Give him the back story for 2009 and show him the Catalunya race.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That match up is summarized very well in Fastest.

I'd watch Fastest (the newer one) then Faster/The Doctor, The Tornado, and the Kentucky Kid and then maybe some races. I'd have to go back and skim thru the races this year cause although I remember the first 8 races being entertaining and having some decent fights via MM, I can't remember a specific one that was better.

Avoid 2011 and 2012 for the most part.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
2012 Brno is actually pretty great although it is more of a connoisseur's race as there are only a couple of passes. You could always just show him this clip of Catalunya which does explain a bit of the context.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Oh also, please find non-world feed commentators because Nick Harris barely knows what's going on and will just be confusing. Also for full race excitement show your friend 2014 Moto3 races.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

nsaP posted:

Oh also, please find non-world feed commentators because Nick Harris barely knows what's going on and will just be confusing. Also for full race excitement show your friend 2014 Moto3 races.

Yeah I'm definitely showing him something from Moto3 when the time comes. I figure I could probably grab any 2014 Moto3 race, as I recall they were almost all great. Maybe the last race, explaining the Miller/Marquez championship situation.

I agree about the world feed - I miss Eurosport something fierce. I watched BTSport this year and it got better as the year went on, but I still miss the dynamic between Moody and Ryder.

I've told him to watch Fastest as a primer, but if he wants to get more into it I'd like a few current (2014, maybe '13) races to show him so he sees the current cast of characters and bikes. Fastest is about 2010 and a hell of a lot has changed since then.Death of the 2-strokes, Rossi at Ducati, Stoner at Honda then quitting, switch to 1000cc, the rise of Marc Marquez...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I think last year's Le Mans was pretty good. I just watched Mugello today and it was alright, a good MM/Lorenzo fight. Assen was just crazy weather and would be confusing.

• Locked thread