Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

SquirrelGrip posted:

xboner goon roll call - i actually have free time this weekend and will be down for some timezone craziness

gt: no wizards k

I'm an Xbone haver. OldCaptainLog

If any of you add please please God send a note. I'm old and easily scared by things I don't understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Paulocaust posted:

For the people that really enjoyed UFC 2/3 on 360, how does this stack up? I loved those games and the striking mechanics. It was especially fun to play on simulation becauese you had to fight realisticaly and jab and such while managing cardio instead of just throwing crazy haymakers and roundhouses. How much has that changed? I watched a few vids and the game looked like rock em sock em.

I like it a lot more but it's nowhere near as fleshed out and polished as the THQ games. The standup is a lot better and feels weighed and more physics based. The ground game is good but could use work. It feels slightly harder to control and execute there compared to the old ones. It's, uh, quirky in general. I wouldn't call the game super arcadey but it's like real UFC with way more active combat. You still have to manage your stamina and focus on jabs/counters/distance a lot. It's worth trying the demo for but it's a game you really have to stick with to understand the feel and rhythm of. tldr I love the poo poo out of it and think it's a fantastic 1v1 fighter but it's not going to be for everyone.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

SquirrelGrip posted:

xboner goon roll call - i actually have free time this weekend and will be down for some timezone craziness

gt: no wizards k

I'll probably have a working headset by then, my girlfriend's puppy chewed through the cord to the one that came with my xbone.
gt: Lord Faustus

Toolband
May 28, 2003

Year of the Tiger....probably not but hey we started 2-0
Looks like were getting TJ Dillashaw, Tyron Woodley, and Takeya Mizugaki soon for free

Chairman Kaga
Jun 3, 2006
I FAG EVERYTHING UP BECAUSE I AM A WHINEY CUNT!
Muaar209 PSN

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Toolband posted:

Looks like were getting TJ Dillashaw, Tyron Woodley, and Takeya Mizugaki soon for free

I guess the new patch came out today and it added those fighters in addition to a bunch of other good changes. Mostly it looks like they fixed some of the spamming nonsense and also got rid of a few of those dumb power takedowns. Almost makes me wish I didn't sell my copy already.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Yeah that patch is heartening for a few reasons, if my next places rent isn't too bad I won't feel like a dork for buying this game now that I know they give a poo poo. Also Takeya looks more expressive in that screenshot than he does most of the time in real life hahaha.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I love to give EA stick when they mess up, so I should give them credit when they do good because that patch looks superb. You could easily imagine EA charging for those 3 new fighters.

The damage and stamina changes for relative clock thing sounds interesting.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 22, 2014

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Was that patch for all consoles?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Captain Log posted:

Was that patch for all consoles?

Dillashaw and co are in the XBone version, and I just did a quick match vs the AI (Rousey/Davis) and went to sprawl after stuffing a takedown, so I think so. Wasn't able to touch gloves though, unless you have to let Buffer do his whole shtick for that to work?

And yes, it was about as much of a massacre as the real fight, albeit not as fast.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

my roommate and i each created fighters under our own xbox profiles on the same xbox. how do we get them both to show up on the fighter select screen?

coconono fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 25, 2014

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I picked up this game having never watched UFC beyond seeing it a bit at a bar. It looked like a pretty good fighting game though and I figured I'd waste some money to get another game for my xbox one. It turns out that I'm terrible at this and have no idea what's going on at most times! I don't know what any of the holds/submissions are and my attempts to just punch a lot tend to fail. I generally end up getting TKO'd in the first round and I'm yet to win on easy mode.

This speaks volumes about my skill at fighting games in general, I think.

That said, is there a good starting spot to learn some of this poo poo? I couldn't find any good tutorials on this stuff, including what the gently caress submissions and clinches are for, but I probably don't know where to look.

As someone who knows literally nothing about UFC, anyone have any suggestions for where I could start? It's interesting enough to me that I'm willing to put in a bit of time to learn some stuff.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

As inane as it might sound, the best way to start understanding MMA, and by extension, the game, is to watch the real deal and watch how the fighters fight each other in real life.

By watching real MMA, you can learn how to appreciate the intricacies of ground fighting for example and eventually what submissions are available to a fighter in what position they're in. That's not to say that you can suddenly do these things in real life of course, even if you know how a choke works because you've seen it so many times. You can generally use the same submissions in the games as people attempt in real life.

I don't have the full game, but submissions were difficult in the demo and until you have the basics down, give them a pass. Striking is really a case of using your movement intelligently, to stay out of range of your opponent and then blocking the punches and throwing back, or ideally, parrying their blows to leave them exposed and hit them back.

I believe you can get a free trial of the UFC Fight Pass still, and we have a Fight Pass recommendation thread right here so you can find good fights to watch easily, and ask for more recommendations: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3642892

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Aurain posted:

As inane as it might sound, the best way to start understanding MMA, and by extension, the game, is to watch the real deal and watch how the fighters fight each other in real life.

Well, that doesn't sound inane at all and is certainly the obvious (if a bit time consuming) idea. I'll probably do that as it could be fun. I'm still in the market for a better tutorial though, even basic poo poo like "hold block a lot" or "don't hold block a lot" or "stop punching so much that you tire yourself out" and such.

Thanks for the tips! I'll follow up on those and a lot of them make sense.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

shortspecialbus posted:

Well, that doesn't sound inane at all and is certainly the obvious (if a bit time consuming) idea. I'll probably do that as it could be fun. I'm still in the market for a better tutorial though, even basic poo poo like "hold block a lot" or "don't hold block a lot" or "stop punching so much that you tire yourself out" and such.

The last patch made a bunch of changes to stamina and blocking.

It really is a game where you have to take your time rather than spam strikes/blocking.

I got my non-gaming friends into the swing of it by so;
1. Create people you know as CAF's with poo poo stats
2. Multiplayer matches of UFC fighter vs poo poo CAF (also hilarious)
3. MC the whole thing with a bottle of scotch as a microhpone

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Captain Log posted:

I'm an Xbone haver. OldCaptainLog

If any of you add please please God send a note. I'm old and easily scared by things I don't understand.

dont be scared homie

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

shortspecialbus posted:

The challenge mode from the main menu is actually useful, in that the sparring parts force you to use certain techniques, and it helps you learn how they fit into a match.

But basics: Keep an eye on your stamina.
Don't be afraid to go to the mat if you're losing on the feet.
Learn to counter takedowns and transitions.
Ducking/countering strikes is very, very useful.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 4, 2014

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Question - is there what appears to be insane input lag in this game? I'm playing on Xbox One. I haven't noticed it in anything else, at least not nearly to this extent. When moving a fighter, they don't start moving until I've already let go of the stick, it seems. I'm trying to figure out if that's by design, if I have input lag in this game, or something else going on in my setup with the TV or some such.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If you're playing online, maybe? But not if you're playing the AI.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

If you're playing online, maybe? But not if you're playing the AI.

Hm. I need to check my setup - this is a new TV and a new xbox one and I'm probably getting some severe input lag somewhere in this.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

shortspecialbus posted:

Hm. I need to check my setup - this is a new TV and a new xbox one and I'm probably getting some severe input lag somewhere in this.

unseat and reseat your HDMI cables. Sometimes they get loose and that causes weird poo poo.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

coconono posted:

unseat and reseat your HDMI cables. Sometimes they get loose and that causes weird poo poo.

I think it's the game itself, honestly. Maybe I'll post a video of it and someone can confirm if it's just me - I've taken the stereo out of the equation by hooking directly to the TV and there's still massive control lag in this game (maybe) that I'm not seeing in other games.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I am slowly getting a hang of it. Part of what I thought was lag was just really loving slow animations for everything, although I probably got rid of 30ms by going direct to the TV and loving with the modes, so that's an improvement I suppose. Either way this is kind of a terrible game, with blocking being almost loving impossible unless you're holding it ahead of time, so it turns more into prediction than anything, and because the controls take so loving long to execute, counters are almost useless. The ground game is weird as gently caress too with being able to transition from being basically hosed to being directly on top with a reversal or some poo poo that seems to happen a lot unless you're on the ball with blocking it, and even then a lot of it seems to come to stats.

It's a good concept of a game with great graphics but terrible execution.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
I think your copy of the game is just being weird. Unless you're throwing uppercuts with Mark Hunt, the game is pretty responsive, and provided you didn't just throw a spinning strike and your fighter is still resetting, holding R2 should block almost instantly. It's a 'weak block', though, and so big strikes might still occasionally wind up wobbling you, which is why you have to try to incorporate stuff like parrying, swaying or dashing out of the way. Countering after a parry works more often than not--just don't go for anything fancy. There's definitely an opening for a straight or a teep, but really heavy blows are less likely to land.

They recently tinkered with the stamina system, which, IMO, has adversely affected the ground game by making it super easy to stay on top. There are only two reversals: You can stop the one from side control by posturing up and throwing strikes at your opponent, and you can stop the one from guard by, very slowly, blocking in the direction your opponent is moving. It just takes some time to get used to. Of course, this doesn't change the fact that it really isn't very good at all.

Skjorte fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 8, 2014

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Skjorte posted:

I think your copy of the game is just being weird. Unless you're throwing uppercuts with Mark Hunt, the game is pretty responsive, and provided you didn't just throw a spinning strike and your fighter is still resetting, holding R2 should block almost instantly. It's a 'weak block', though, and so big strikes might still occasionally wind up wobbling you, which is why you have to try to incorporate stuff like parrying, swaying or dashing out of the way. Countering after a parry works more often than not--just don't go for anything fancy. There's definitely an opening for a straight or a teep, but really heavy blows are less likely to land.

They recently tinkered with the stamina system, which, IMO, has adversely affected the ground game by making it super easy to stay on top. There are only two reversals: You can stop the one from side control by posturing up and throwing strikes at your opponent, and you can stop the one from guard by, very slowly, blocking in the direction your opponent is moving. It just takes some time to get used to. Of course, this doesn't change the fact that it really isn't very good at all.

I dunno - I tried it on a monitor and it was about the same. I'll try it on an older monitor that probably has a better response time than my IPS Dell. It feels like the animations start when I press a button but take a long rear end time to complete. I'll try to get a video later.

Don't forget that I'm probably terrible at the game because the last fighting game I was any good at was Mortal Kombat 2. I button mash in everything after that and it simply doesn't work in this, which is a huge adjustment for me.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
It might just be an adjustment thing. I went into this after having recently gotten into Fight Night Champion, so the pace and the stamina management weren't the major shake-ups that they might've been if I'd recently been playing a lot of Tekken Tag or something.

Just curious, but are you holding forward on the left stick a lot when throwing punches? I started finding more openings for combinations and such when I realized that the regular jab came with a lot of forward momentum, and now I rarely use hooks unless I'm looking to land a big counter. Conversely, front kicks (which are thrown by holding forward and then hitting a kick button; not all fighters have it) are really overpowered + drain less stamina than other kicks, so if you find yourself gassing out quicker than your opponent, going from the big roundhouse kicks to the front kicks might give you a bit of an edge.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Why does this game make me do a bunch of loving training every time I want to run a career mode?

All I want to do is make gimmick fighters and have hilarious careers. I don't need to be told how to throw a punch every single loving time I make a fighter. It takes a good 10-15 minutes to go through the un-skippable initial sparring matches.

Also, it makes me sad that EA MMA was the only game that got training down right and they hosed it with this game. In EA MMA, for those of you who were spared that game, you could play each training mini-game as many times as you liked, but if you wanted to you could always just auto through that training at your high score for that kind of training.

EA MMA also had Bas Rutten as your coach. Bas having six canned reactions was better than getting random creepy video calls from Rory MacDonald.

Overall this game is kind of crap but I'm still playing it anyway.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

You can skip the training in EA UFC, after the first few fights it doesn't matter anyway.

I was super sad that my hella elite Career Mode dude isn't playable outside of career mode. I spent a lot of time moving those sliders :(

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

You can also skip most of the career tutorials by hitting start and selecting quit.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

You can also skip most of the career tutorials by hitting start and selecting quit.

I was specifically referring to the training right at the start when you start a career. There are at least two sparring matches which are not skippable.

I always skip the training in the main career, although I would prefer to have the EA MMA method where I could do them once and then have the benefits.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I haven't tried it but does it effect the career mode any if you lose the TUF fights?

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

coconono posted:

I haven't tried it but does it effect the career mode any if you lose the TUF fights?

I think you just get to re-try it until you win.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ty1990 posted:

I think you just get to re-try it until you win.

That's no fun. I wanted to Pat Barry my next career.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
The new patch really helped make random fights pretty great but I can't start a loving career at all anymore. It always stalls at 0% when it tries to save a new fighter. The only suggestion from EA is "reinstall the game" which is ridiculous.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

InfiniteZero posted:

The new patch really helped make random fights pretty great but I can't start a loving career at all anymore. It always stalls at 0% when it tries to save a new fighter. The only suggestion from EA is "reinstall the game" which is ridiculous.

Have you tried reinstalling? It doesn't seem like that big of deal at all, mainly if it fixes it.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Kilometers Davis posted:

Have you tried reinstalling? It doesn't seem like that big of deal at all, mainly if it fixes it.

Yeah, I will bite the bullet and do that. I was just trying to avoid having to do so because I've been really bad about going over my download allotment for the past few months and the full game is another 20 gig or so.

Now I'll have to download less porn to compensate which is the real tragedy here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
HA! Picked the game back up after a few weeks away, instantly get hatemail from some twerp telling me to 'go back to COD noob!' because I kneed him to death from the Thai clinch.

• Locked thread