Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Jenna

"I'm not like that," mutter Jenna, out of turn. Then she realizes it is actually her turn. Who's next to her? Antoine. "Um... he's a little uptight, but he does what he needs to."

She shrugs, helplessly, then winces. "That's a good thing."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Antoine

"Hong is... diligent. He likes to draw. It's precise in a lot of what he does. I'm... not very good at this."

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Originally Jenna and Hong weren't going to be there but a) NERV is exactly the sort of organisation that'd sent seriously injured kids to therapy and b) I forgot. :v:

Forums Terrorist fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Oct 22, 2014

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Bryant

The first thing that strikes you as you take a seat in the meeting room is that Koizumi looks off-balance, for the first time in a good while. Takenaka hardly looks better. Across the table you see an old man in a suit, who must be the Finance Minister. "Ah, the man of the hour a Captain... Byron, or Bryant, or something along those lines I believe. I was never very good with foreign names." He shuffles some papers and passes you an expense claim from NERV to the Japanese Government. You look down the items - labour, materials, power, supplies, insurance, totalling...

Oh. That is not a small number; that is a very big number!

"I am to understand that this covers the past month of activity under your command. Would you care to elaborate on what tasks you have undertaken that justify an expense claim larger than half the national pension fund?"

The Kids

"Well, you seem to all know each other pretty well," Habiki says, noting down what each of you has said. "That's good to hear. Now, for this session we're going to look at your mental well-being as individuals first, and then as a group. This way we can keep any issues from coming up in the middle of an attack. We can start by airing grievances, with hypnosis, or by doing some trust exercises; I'll let you vote for which we do first as a group."

Elena

The walk from the apartment to the convenience store is thankfully short; it's much hotter and more humid in Japan, making the convenience store's air conditioning a welcome relief. Speaking of, you're presented with a wide variety of foods, many of which you've never heard of before!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Elena

If nothing else marks Elena as an aberration, it's that she's an American abroad who can nevertheless speak the language of her host country. After a brief diversion to the drinks section to stick her head in the coolers, she finds a clerk and asks him a few questions as to what's what, what goes with what, and so on. While her normal speaking voice is accentless newscaster English, she develops a grating Bostonian accent when she speaks Japanese. It takes some slow speaking and repetition to get her points across to the clerk, but he's paid to be there and she's infinitely patient.

Eventually, Elena begins the blazing trek back to the apartment with a couple of bags of what a part-time store clerk thinks a good meal is made of.

I can roll for that speak language if you like.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Elizabeth Hargrave

"Hypnosis? Really? Both of those sound dumb but the other one sounds less dumb." Elizabeth crosses her arms over her chest and looks away, annoyed.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hong Li

"Well, I'm not a fan of hypnosis, and I'm not really in any condition to do any exercises, so I could air some grievances. If...if that's okay with you guys."

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Antoine

"I can't really think of anything that won't get ironed out by working together. Just personalities clashing is all. Never tried hypnosis before. I thought that was just a parlor trick kind of thing, but I'll try it."

shin42k
Feb 16, 2014

Junko Kurosawa

"Either way's fine for me." Junko clearly wasn't in the mood, but she accepted that she had to do these exercises anyway.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Jenna

"Whatever." Jenna leans back, wincing a little. "I hurt too much to care."

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Thomas Bryant

"Well, do you mean other than protecting the country from the Angels?" Bryant crosses his arms and stares firmly at the minister.

"We're taking on research and engineering projects as large as the-" Bryant pauses for a second. It would probably not be good to say 'The Manhattan Project.' "...Second Impact Reconstruction."

"For one, we're making a giant leap in material and physical sciences so that we can develop effective weapons to fight the angels with." He glances down at the piles of documents on the table. "That means paying top scientists, building labs, manufacturing centers, and so on. And for all of that, we need to keep that safe, so we build defense and support structures that can keep them, and the civilians, safe."

"And all of that adds up to what you see there. This gets you six superweapons ready and waiting to keep your country safe. You could do with less, but that build risk. Risk that we don't get the right weapons for the right job. Risk that one of those Units gets taken out by the enemy. Risk that that casualty screws up the entire mission. Risk that that screw up brings this whole operation, this whole city, and this whole country down with it."

"That is why our budget is what it is."

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Bryant

The finance minister tuts. "That doesn't explain the gigantic claim here we received a few days ago. There wasn't an Angel attack then."

Kids

"I'm not hearing a clear consensus, so let's start slow." Honda walks over to his desk and pulls out a beanie baby. "I'm going to pass this around. Whoever has it is allowed to say whatever they want about the others in the group. If you don't have the beanie baby, you have to listen." He passes it to Jenna. "We'll start with you Jenna. Don't be shy, let it out."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Jenna

Jenna immediately fumbles the doll with her bandaged fingers. "Oh." She sighs. "Um. I um."

After some clumsy maneuvering she regains it. "I think this exercise is a stupid waste of time. If you're willing to fight, I've got no problem with you." She drops it again.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Thomas Bryant

Bryant grimaces, sighs, and crosses his arms.

Of loving course...

He closes his eyes for a second, thinking deeply. "Hold on for a sec." Then he picks up the phone.

Ring... Ring...

"Research, I need one of you to get Han and tell him to come to the conference room ASAP. Tell him that I need him to explain to the minister here exactly what happened in the last incident and to bring as much data and supporting evidence as he possibly can. Got it?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Elizabeth Hargrave

Elizabeth grabs the doll once Jenna drops it. "Jenna's right. This whole thing is stupid, but if you want to know fine!" She waves the doll at Hong and Junko. "Those two need to get serious about this! They're going to get killed, or worse get one of us killed, if they don't. This isn't some stupid comic book, some normal kid with no training doesn't just become a prodigy. And neither of them have the right kind of killer instinct. If you lose, you die! There aren't any extra lives or do overs. And if you really want to win you have to be willing to risk everything."

"If they don't shape up quick they're going to drag the rest of us down. Tell me I'm wrong, military boy!" She wings the doll at Antoine.

• Locked thread