Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Eastern Europe: We know squat

Katlington posted:

Eastern Europe: Imagine 4 spheres of influence on the edge of a cliff.

LucyHeartfilia posted:

Eastern Europe: This is not a thread about Eastern Europe

Or "Putin's Slavic Squat on the EU's face". One of these four. It has to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Updates:
UA withdrawal from Debal'tseve, forward salient between Luhansk and Horlivka.
Heavy fighting in Shyrokyne, on the road east of Mariupol
68 destroyed vehicles on the road from Ilovaish (pocket), by Russian arty (UA losses)

Things look to be heating up again. Not clear on who is attacking Shyrokyne, UA said something about establishing defense line further out from Mariupol awhile back, but the Russians could have gotten there first.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Sep 4, 2014

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Eastern Europe: Sometimes You Eat The Bear, Sometimes The Bear Eats You

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Pimpmust posted:

Oh, funny thing but I watched a german documentary of some reporters inbedded with a volunteer battalion from the 24th of August (Cherson battalion?) and one of the Ukrainian soldiers there used a laminated copy of the "official" UA map as his apparent tactical map :psyduck:

If its a volunteer force, it stands to reason it hasn't the giant stash of detailed local maps available a regular military has. But it's still weird, considering you could use actual satellite information from google maps for your tactical maps in this day and age. Making your own custom maps and printing them out should be pretty easy, too. I've done it myself a few times.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

pigdog posted:

Look, at the very least, the Baltic countries themselves are tight and united in countering the Russian threat. Doesn't matter how many nukes the Russians have; if Latvia say were attacked, then Estonia and Lithuania will help with anything they got. The three countries (+ some others) would definitely have a military alliance of this sort, even purely militarily it would not make sense not to. Except in actuality they're all in NATO, so not only do they have that kind of alliance between themselves, but with all of NATO countries. I don't know if US will be left cowering and contemplating and dragging its feet, but the Baltic states themselves sure won't, and every day that they spend fighting without US support would be a day to remind the whole world that the Americans, with all their military might, are the biggest pussies in the world and take Russian dicks on their chin by choice.

Most important among those some others would be Poland, which is actually a decently important country in NATO and the EU. No way the Germans can shrug off Poland getting into a full blown war with Russia, no matter how much they want to.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Pimpmust posted:

Things look to be heating up again. Not clear on who is attacking Shyrokyne, UA said something about establishing defense line further out from Mariupol awhile back, but the Russians could have gotten there first.
Maybe they should stop loving tweeting their strategic objectives?

I mean, I'm no Patton or anything, so what do I know!

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Randandal posted:

Sweden wtf :psyduck:

Non-conscript army. You can enjoy lattes in Stockholm while they send wave after wave of former nazis to die in the Baltic.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Charlz Guybon posted:

Most important among those some others would be Poland, which is actually a decently important country in NATO and the EU. No way the Germans can shrug off Poland getting into a full blown war with Russia, no matter how much they want to.

People always forget about Poland.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

tooterfish posted:

Maybe they should stop loving tweeting their strategic objectives?

I mean, I'm no Patton or anything, so what do I know!

Maybe thats why the livefeed has been so quiet on battle updates lately, for all we know there's constant fighting in a number of places but if we don't get it on YouTube or twitter there could just as well be no war on at all :iiam:

E: speaking of which, updates:
20 Russian tanks are assaulting shyrokyne.
Vehicle destroyed in ambush on route H20, near berezove, DNR checkpoint hit by GRADs
UA retreating way up northeast from apparent rocketshelling, starobilsk(?!)

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 4, 2014

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010

Libluini posted:

If its a volunteer force, it stands to reason it hasn't the giant stash of detailed local maps available a regular military has. But it's still weird, considering you could use actual satellite information from google maps for your tactical maps in this day and age. Making your own custom maps and printing them out should be pretty easy, too. I've done it myself a few times.

I am pretty sure his point is they were using a propaganda map that has completely untrue information on it.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Or they could just be trapped in print queue hell. It happens to me sometimes and I'm not even a plucky upstart guerilla with absolutely no Russian military support.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Michael Peck, loving moron posted:

It seems more likely that the new force will include light infantry, wheeled armor and special forces—all easier to move by air or road than heavy tanks. While these light troops might have a fighting chance against irregular troops such as Ukraine’s eastern rebels, they wouldn’t stand a chance against a Russian tank regiment.

To say nothing of Russian warplanes.

Yes, Russia will role over a NATO wheeled armor and special forces DIVISION sized element with uncontested air support while NATO sits around playing with its dick. Is this idiot for real? It doesn't matter whether NATO has heavy armor or loving Warrior IFVs, regular Russian units engaging them will be tantamount to declaring WWIII, in which NATO will have every advantage unless it turns nuclear. Geopolitical concerns aside, it's a rapid reaction force. It's supposed to deploy to a conflict zone within 48 hours. Of course it doesn't loving include heavy tanks!

This guy's analysis is completely wrong. The reason NATO has existed for 50 years is Russian aggression in Europe, and its mandate is getting stronger by the day. Who cares what exactly it decides to include in its rapid reaction force? NATO is 3 nuclear powers, 900 million people, and 70% of world defense budget. It will absolutely crush anyone else IN THE WORLD in a conventional conflict. The main concern in any NATO conflict with Russia is that Russia will lose so badly that they have no choice but to turn to nuclear deterrence. "Ultimately, this new NATO force would be little more than a speed bump should Russia mobilize even a fraction of its nearly three million active and reserve troops." This guy's a loving moron.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 4, 2014

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/04/mh17-crash-investigation-report-preliminary-findings

Looks like we get the prelim report next week, a pity the animals that shot down the plane will probably never face justice and more likely get a medal from Russia.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Randandal posted:

Sweden wtf :psyduck:

There's a historical reason for that.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Majorian posted:

It's a little more complicated than you're portraying it, though. Vice, surprisingly, had a good piece on it a couple months ago:

So it's hard for me to condemn Hollande too much on taking a couple months to basically put the kibosh on the deal. The guy is politically hosed enough as it is; there was no obvious solution to this problem that wasn't going to gently caress him even more.

Can't he sell them the ships to someone else? Surely there's a market out there for them. India for instance has been greatly expanding their navy of late.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Niedar posted:

I am pretty sure his point is they were using a propaganda map that has completely untrue information on it.

Well, nice to know you are able to read, but was there a point to your post other than restating the obvious?

Arglebargle III posted:

Yes, Russia will role over a NATO wheeled armor and special forces DIVISION sized element with uncontested air support while NATO sits around playing with its dick. Is this idiot for real? It doesn't matter whether NATO has heavy armor or loving Warrior IFVs, regular Russian units engaging them will be tantamount to declaring WWIII, in which NATO will have every advantage unless it turns nuclear. Geopolitical concerns aside, it's a rapid reaction force. It's supposed to deploy to a conflict zone within 48 hours. Of course it doesn't loving include heavy tanks!

This guy's analysis is completely wrong. The reason NATO has existed for 50 years is Russian aggression in Europe, and its mandate is getting stronger by the day. Who cares what exactly it decides to include in its rapid reaction force? NATO is 3 nuclear powers, 900 million people, and 70% of world defense budget. It will absolutely crush anyone else IN THE WORLD in a conventional conflict. The main concern in any NATO conflict with Russia is that Russia will lose so badly that they have no choice but to turn to nuclear deterrence. "Ultimately, this new NATO force would be little more than a speed bump should Russia mobilize even a fraction of its nearly three million active and reserve troops." This guy's a loving moron.

What is often overlooked in this ongoing conflict, Russia has apparently doubled down on conventional warfare, while the USA has heavily invested in automated warfare (drones). If I remember the one time were drones were used against an actual army (destroying Gaddhafi's artillery hidden inside the capital with precision drone strikes), I'm a lot more confident NATO could held its own in a localized conflict with conventional weapons.

Since we Europeans kind of limp behind on the drone front, we would essentially hold the line with our own troops while American drones oversaturate/neutralize Russian air defence, then our own air forces would just go to town until the Russian ground forces are annihilated.

Hopefully this prediction of mine is wrong or never in danger of getting relevant, since a catastrophic defeat of that magnitude would indeed only leave the nuclear option.

Mind you, I think the Russian military is still rather strong, but it is only strong against a similar, but weaker force. Combat against a comparable Western force supplemented with drones would end in unmitigated disaster.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Libluini posted:

while the USA has heavily invested in automated warfare (drones). . . Since we Europeans kind of limp behind on the drone front

Oh, so you're an idiot too. Go look up the price of a Predator.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I don't know why you think drones are a decisive force in conventional warfare against an opponent with actual air defense and that we've somehow given up on conventional capability.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

Charlz Guybon posted:

why do you go on and on about Germany shrugging of some hypothetical attack, when Germany is only behind Poland and Sweden in willingness to have a conflict with Russia?
Start being worried about Italy, France, Spain and Greece instead.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Boner Slam posted:

why do you go on and on about Germany shrugging of some hypothetical attack, when Germany is only behind Poland and Sweden in willingness to have a conflict with Russia?
Start being worried about Italy, France, Spain and Greece instead.

On and on? Are you mistaking me for someone else?

They're the most important country in the EU. Of course people are going to focus on them.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh, so you're an idiot too. Go look up the price of a Predator.

Looks like 17 million dollar, which means you get about 8-9 for the price of a F-35. Arguably more, since you only need an operator for every 50+ drones, so you don't need an operator for every drone, but you'll need a pilot for every F-35.

Besides, not every drone is a Predator. The Heron for example costs only 10 million dollars and EADS promises they can arm them if necessary. And since the Heron alone can rise higher then MANPADs could reach them, they aren't easy targets for air defense.

And as the fighting in Tripolis has proven, drones are accurate enough to literally pick out weapon systems hiding in civilian areas. With a lot less collateral damage than the conventional fighter bombers would make in their runs.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 4, 2014

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Some people are reporting that the assault on Mariupol has begun

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ukrainian/news_in_brief/2014/09/140904_vc_mariupol_attack.shtml

https://twitter.com/KabanPoltinnik/status/507488593317609472

https://twitter.com/Hightown99/status/507485841128947712

https://twitter.com/GZhygalov/status/507497583405981697

Live cam in Mariupol:
http://webcam.guru.ua/city/Mariupol/

e:Simon Ostrovsky confirms shelling has begun
https://twitter.com/SimonOstrovsky/status/507487269377175552

ass struggle fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 4, 2014

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Day after Putin offered a ceasefire? His script is becoming more and more obvious.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Looks like he wants a corridor to Crimea after all.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Day after Putin offered a ceasefire? His script is becoming more and more obvious.

"I wanted to stop, but you MADE me keep hitting you!"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Libluini posted:

Looks like 17 million dollar, which means you get about 8-9 for the price of a F-35. Arguably more, since you only need an operator for every 50+ drones, so you don't need an operator for every drone, but you'll need a pilot for every F-35.

Besides, not every drone is a Predator. The Heron for example costs only 10 million dollars and EADS promises they can arm them if necessary. And since the Heron alone can rise higher then MANPADs could reach them, they aren't easy targets for air defense.

And as the fighting in Tripolis has proven, drones are accurate enough to literally pick out weapon systems hiding in civilian areas. With a lot less collateral damage than the conventional fighter bombers would make in their runs.

The point is that A) drones do not require much investment and B) they are not capable of operating in an air defense environment. Flying above MANPAD range means nothing against Russian regular units which have very capable long-range AA missile systems. A Russian AA system (Ukraine says all their BuKs are accounted for) shot down an airliner at 35,000 feet not too long ago if you don't recall.

I'm not sure why this is important in the first place. As far as I can tell Europe's modern fighter fleet slightly outnumbers Russia's modern fighter fleet, and the US tips the balance in NATO's favor.

And that's if you count the Su-27 as modern but not the F/A-18 or F-16 or Eurofighter Tornado.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 4, 2014

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
Russian soldier dies in Ukraine because "there was no other job".

quote:

Anton Tumanov, 20, was brought home to Kozmodemyansk (Mari El Republic, Russia) in a sealed coffin.

“It’s good that there was a window in it - I could at least see the face. I was told that some (dead) guys from their formation looked just like chunks of meat and there are DNA tests being conducted. The parents have not received (the bodies of their) children yet,” says Tumanov’s mother Elena Tumanova.

As she sits in her living room on the same couch that Tumanov used to sleep on, the woman adjusts a black headband on her short graying hair and goes through her purse looking for a death certificate. For some reason, she always carries it with her.

She has not yet received his personal effects – the passport and military ID of Junior Sergeant Anton Tumanov. On Aug. 20 the woman only received the coffin and a copy of a death certificate issued by a morgue in Rostov on Don.

It says the sodlier died on Aug. 13, at “the place of temporary deployment of the military unit 27777.” The cause of death is “Concomitant injury. Multiple shrapnel wounds of the lower extremities with damage to major blood vessels. Acute massive blood loss.”

“His legs were torn off, obviously. The guys (from his unit) told me. But I sensed it anyway that it wasn't all of him in that coffin,” Tumanova says.

Survivors recall Ilovaisk massacre.

quote:

Early on Aug. 29, a column of some 70 Ukrainian armored vehicles rushed from Ilovaisk, a city in Donetsk Oblast, through a corridor offered by Russian troops.

After driving 10 kilometers, the fleeing Ukrainians were instead trapped under massive shelling by cannons and tanks. The armored vehicles caught fire.

“That was a real meat grinder,” Taras Samchuk, 28, soldier of 51th brigade told the Kyiv Post. “One armored vehicle exploded right next to us and the head of its gunner was burning in its helmet.”

The Ukrainian troops lost hundreds of their fighters, including at least 100 killed, with others wounded or captured on the way out of Ilovaisk, a strategic city through which separatists were receiving military supplies from Russia to the besieged provincial capital of Donetsk.

Those who survived the Ilovaisk tragedy directly place the blame on the Russian army, whose soldiers did most of the fighting. They also blame Ukraine’s military commanders for sending soldiers and volunteer fighters into war without sufficient reconnaissance or reinforcements.

First story is of interest since it provides evidence to earlier claims of an "insurgent convoy" that had been rocketed and suffered very high casualties back in August. Talks a bit about the general attitude of Russian soldiers who are in Donbass, but I wouldn't put much credit in that. Every man's war is different.

Second article I find much more interesting. It might explain how The Ukrainian army got steamrolled out of the majority of their gains since the start of the war. Ukraine's volunteer battalions have become the best tool the Government has in their war and have been taking the brunt of the fighting since late-july. For the Ukrainians, it is of the utmost priority that they fully incorporate these volunteer battalions into Ukraine's formal military institution. Unity of command is one of those big principles of war, right up there with "Try not to attack at noon, uphill, across open ground on a bright, sunny day".

The volunteers have been acting as light, motarized infantry without access to heavy weaponry. They have been relying on the Ukrainian Army's goodwill to provide artillery, tanks and aircraft and field ambulances. We have seen demonstrations by supporters of these units demanding that the government open up the armories and give the Volunteers all the "good stuff". I understand the Central government's reluctance to do so. No sensible, responsible government would give such weaponry to people who have openly spoken in the past of "marching on Kiev" if their demands are not met (I'm looking at you, Right Sector militia).

Now, the Ukrainians can't afford any more gently caress ups like this because:

1) The volunteers are, once again, the best fighting force they have because they aren't lovely 18 year old conscripts who want to do their 2 years mandatory service and get out. If they keep losing scores of veteran men like they did in Ilovaisk. Ukraine's cause is doomed.

2) As long as they don't unify and coordinate their efforts, this stupid war will drag on forever*.

3) It is a recipe for disaster for the peace that will come after this war if you have large, professional fighting forces that do not answer to the State's authority. There is a reason they keep drilling in our heads that only the State should have a monopoly on violence. The sooner these battalions are incorporated into the army the better it will be for everyone.

*or as long as Putin sees fit.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

OhYeah posted:

I wish we had more leaders in Europe with balls.

It takes a lot of balls to make a speech! Its all just worthless words unless there is action (NATO bases built in the Baltics) to back it up.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Yeah Libya failed to integrate the many militias and look at it now.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Barrakketh posted:

Russian soldier dies in Ukraine because "there was no other job".

Survivors recall Ilovaisk massacre.

First story is of interest since it provides evidence to earlier claims of an "insurgent convoy" that had been rocketed and suffered very high casualties back in August. Talks a bit about the general attitude of Russian soldiers who are in Donbass, but I wouldn't put much credit in that. Every man's war is different.

Second article I find much more interesting. It might explain how The Ukrainian army got steamrolled out of the majority of their gains since the start of the war. Ukraine's volunteer battalions have become the best tool the Government has in their war and have been taking the brunt of the fighting since late-july. For the Ukrainians, it is of the utmost priority that they fully incorporate these volunteer battalions into Ukraine's formal military institution. Unity of command is one of those big principles of war, right up there with "Try not to attack at noon, uphill, across open ground on a bright, sunny day".

The volunteers have been acting as light, motarized infantry without access to heavy weaponry. They have been relying on the Ukrainian Army's goodwill to provide artillery, tanks and aircraft and field ambulances. We have seen demonstrations by supporters of these units demanding that the government open up the armories and give the Volunteers all the "good stuff". I understand the Central government's reluctance to do so. No sensible, responsible government would give such weaponry to people who have openly spoken in the past of "marching on Kiev" if their demands are not met (I'm looking at you, Right Sector militia).

Now, the Ukrainians can't afford any more gently caress ups like this because:

1) The volunteers are, once again, the best fighting force they have because they aren't lovely 18 year old conscripts who want to do their 2 years mandatory service and get out. If they keep losing scores of veteran men like they did in Ilovaisk. Ukraine's cause is doomed.

2) As long as they don't unify and coordinate their efforts, this stupid war will drag on forever*.

3) It is a recipe for disaster for the peace that will come after this war if you have large, professional fighting forces that do not answer to the State's authority. There is a reason they keep drilling in our heads that only the State should have a monopoly on violence. The sooner these battalions are incorporated into the army the better it will be for everyone.

*or as long as Putin sees fit.

Meshes with that earlier update today about those 68 vehicles that got blown up when fleeing. Calls bullshit on that official UA claim that "only" 100 died in that pocket (a few days back), unless it was a translation error. As we counted earlier, 70 vehicles are the better chunk of a motorized regiment.

Seems like there's been both a helicopter crash and a MiG-31 crash on the russian side of the border, probably just ordinary attrition from operating for so many hours recently.

There seem to be a lot of movement and fighting just east of Mariupol, not so sure how well the Ukrainian defences are holding up against what seems to be at least an armored battalion + arty support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

:toot:New Thread:toot:

• Locked thread