Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Primaris posted:

Tried to start playing this but I'm literally retarded and have no idea what I'm doing. Will continue my process of self-humiliation and hopefully see you guys soon.

I'm on as Dedian, chat me if you want some help, there's a ton to learn :)

(that's "/chat dedian" in game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bukkits
Mar 7, 2013

:regd08:

dedian posted:

I'm on as Dedian, chat me if you want some help, there's a ton to learn :)

(that's "/chat dedian" in game)

Also literally retarded, will be hitting you up

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
If you're brand new and doing the first test (Citizenship), go here: http://www.atitd.org/wiki/tale6/Citizenship - like any wiki though, it's easy to get sidetracked hah

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
We are kinda in the boonies, so school access is limited. If you're still doing the citizenship test I would head to the Uleadership in RP the RPPW is basically directly across the road from it. Which will give you all the tools you need to do the test fast(I think) with out adding a 20 minuet walk to/from the school you need to visit. Once you're a citizen pick up the "Principle of Architecture" and head up to goon main base.

*edit: or all the principles if you want.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 6, 2014

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
The starting area is pretty good for the citizenship test since the schools are so close. A lot of steps in the test also require you make the tools yourself. (brick rack, wood plane, flax comb, small distaff). Using RPPW for the tools wouldn't help all that much in that regard. Other than maybe helping a newbie gather the materials to build those tools, they still need to be built by the newbie.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

dedian posted:

The starting area is pretty good for the citizenship test since the schools are so close. A lot of steps in the test also require you make the tools yourself. (brick rack, wood plane, flax comb, small distaff). Using RPPW for the tools wouldn't help all that much in that regard. Other than maybe helping a newbie gather the materials to build those tools, they still need to be built by the newbie.

Yah, but is way nicer to make all the bricks you need in one go by just holding down B and waving the mouse over the RPPW 600000 brick racks which don't break.

Same thing with making the boards you need.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Hagop posted:

Yah, but is way nicer to make all the bricks you need in one go by just holding down B and waving the mouse over the RPPW 600000 brick racks which don't break.

Same thing with making the boards you need.

Yeah that's true, maybe just head down to RPPW after learning everything needed for the test from SoA and SoA&M (none need anything built), near the starter zone since those aren't close to RPPW.

Edit: So when you start, all you need to do at the starter area is:

- Pick up a bunch of slate (20?) and head to SoArch to learn Stone Blade Fab
- Make 3 stone blades and learn Carpentry from SoArch
- Head to SoArt&Music and get flax seeds
- Grow flax, get seeds, grow 40 flax
- Learn Flax Processing from SoA&M
- Rot the rest of the flax in the water (20)
- Learn Clothwork from SoA&M
- Head to RPPW and use their stuff for the rest.
- Tear down all your junk, you'll make better stuff anyway!

dedian fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 6, 2014

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Feel free to chat Bri in game. I can see to your needs around RPPW and set you up with some stuff to get going.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
Also, just so it's clear, "RPPW" is "River Plains Public Workshops" at coords: 1524, 2330

Also it's awesome.

digitalcamo
Jul 11, 2013
I guess I might try this game out too if it's free. Never heard of it but sounds decent.

The Dirtiest Harry
May 31, 2011

"Now you know why they call me Dirty Harry: every dirty job that comes along."
Any news on when the transition is going to finish and the new tale will open up?

Somebob
Sep 16, 2000

Contents Guaranteed By Law To Contain At Least 99% Chemicals At All Times
I seem to recall hearing August-ish for the new tale, which seems awfully late and inconvenient. Hoping it starts earlier this summer so I actually have time to flax. I guess fixing Teppy's buggy as poo poo code probably is no easy task, though. Certainly going to be interesting having a tale with a potentially active dev for the first time since, what, partway through 4? Heh.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Small update: Tale 6 will remain free-to-play for the rest of the tale. Sounds like the billing system is pretty much done and the server clusters for tale 7 alpha are ready. He's just waiting for his office to finish installing power. Also he has begun coding the final missing tests.

No firm date on Tale 7, however you can expect Tale 6 to end about one month after the final tests are in.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
ATITD was a great idea that I'm sad to see has just kind of languished. I played in Tale 1, and a tiny bit of Tale 2 (I still have my tshirt!) but I hope that Pluribus can breathe new life into the game.

The only real issue I had with it is that some of it felt very 'grindy' (real world time requirements) but it was fun and very different - something really lacking in the MMO space.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Fayk posted:

ATITD was a great idea that I'm sad to see has just kind of languished. I played in Tale 1, and a tiny bit of Tale 2 (I still have my tshirt!) but I hope that Pluribus can breathe new life into the game.

The only real issue I had with it is that some of it felt very 'grindy' (real world time requirements) but it was fun and very different - something really lacking in the MMO space.

It was, and is, very grindy. That said I've got hope that Pluribus will do great things for the game. It will be nice to see active development again!

Quantum Milkman
Jun 18, 2009
I'd been planning on waiting until T7 starts, but if a goon presence is returning to the game, I might just take the opportunity to remind myself how to play. I've applied to the guild as Zerrenor.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Quantum Milkman posted:

I'd been planning on waiting until T7 starts, but if a goon presence is returning to the game, I might just take the opportunity to remind myself how to play. I've applied to the guild as Zerrenor.

The resurgence is dead until T7, but I logged in and added you anyway.

Enjoy taking all our poo poo!

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Erev posted:

It was, and is, very grindy. That said I've got hope that Pluribus will do great things for the game. It will be nice to see active development again!

Yes it will be nice to see active development again, there haven't been any updates from Pluribus in months so who the gently caress knows whats happening.

Breezy
Sep 6, 2014

I used to love this game. I played during Tale 2 and 4. Anyway, I liked the social drama the game caused.

I'd like to start up, again. Whenever the next tale starts. I thought it was supposed to start around July or something.

Breezy fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 26, 2014

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
I have a very important question regarding the new ownership: Is griefing still allowed? If I can't extort people with beehives and obnoxiously large obelisks I'm just not interested.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I believe so. The new owner has expressed a desire to keep the social experiment aspect of the game intact.

Although it really doesn't take much to rile up some people. Just putting a mine in their front yard will make them mad.

Even in the current tale, I had someone get upset when I didn't take clinker out from a public ore smelter. Apparently it's really important that I personally leave it on the ground instead of someone else.

Freakazoid_ fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 27, 2014

Breezy
Sep 6, 2014

I'm fairly nice person IRL and I usually lean toward the more carebeary type of play. Mostly, because I'm not very good at PVP and I tend to solo a lot. But honestly, this type of game just seems like it'll be more fun as a griefer. The only reason I wanted to play Eve was so could start trouble. I guess I'm more of a instigator.

Anyway, I already know that I'm going to skip ahead on the tower queue. I've always hated the lists and organization put in place by the players to make it more fair. In my opinion that goes against most of the tests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

that devil machine
Feb 14, 2004
I ain't no trendy motherfucker.
Not to necro anything, but I was an Elder in a previous Goontown (T4 or 5, I think). In as SouperMnn now, getting used to the game again. I only ever liked viticulture and genetic engineering, so I always spend my time collecting raw resources. :effort:

quote:

But honestly, this type of game just seems like it'll be more fun as a griefer.

I caused 2 days of server downtime by exploiting the DPPRA and transferring massive amounts of resources from active guilds to the goon guild once. Then I built a pretty massive aircraft carrier on the Nile with 15 or 16 sculptures. The lag was glorious. :)

Still no word on when T7 starts.

Log in now, while it's free, and familiarize yourself with the UI. Once you get the hang of things, log out and wait for T7 unless you love flax. It's very, very easy to burn yourself out on the low end technologies that we'll have to live with when the server resets. The beginning of a Tale is surprisingly slow.

that devil machine fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 2, 2014

• Locked thread