Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Sooooo,....

A little hard to see, since the flash on my camera just up and refused to work, but you can see it's bent up a bit. Should be able to "massage" it back the way it should be without much effort, and the carpet will cover it.

Also, picked up a few new things:

New battery terminals. The positive has a built-in voltmeter.

1 size 0 (for the new alternator feed), 1 size 4 (for the amp power line), and two size 8's (for other electrical). Should fit my needs just fine, and I can always patch in a distribution block if I have to run more lines. That, or I'll buy a battery that has top and side posts and run a few ring terminals to the side.

For my car audio, I ended up tapping in to the factory harness to go to the speakers, since I couldn't get a drill in to drill holes through the door connector to run speaker wire. I never really liked the fact that I was running taps, so I took some pictures of the connector, went to Fry's, and found myself an adapter harness:

Fits perfectly. I'm going to have to move some of the wires around, as well as installing a orange/black wire from another harness I've got, but I'll have colored wires to differentiate between all of the different speakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 278 days!)

So.. will this Talon eventually find its' way on the road? :ohdear:

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Viggen posted:

So.. will this Talon eventually find its' way on the road? :ohdear:

Eventually.

I'm actually REALLY close to having it in a drivable state, but I'm limited right now by having a few things that need to be done before I can put the car down, and I can't finish the connections and stuff until it's back on all 4 wheels.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Sold one of my spare engine blocks yesterday, now to find an A/C condenser!

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
Yeah. Having the car fall like that would scare the poo poo out of me. I use some jack pads that we made to prevent that since I do most of my work in a gravel drive way. We cut up some 2'x2' scrap plywood and screwed it to 2"x6" scrap lumber. Then screwed more plywood to the bottom of it. It's about 3" thick and I have 0 issues using them on gravel/dirt/grass/whatever.

Anyway, I wish I had $5k I could piss away on a car right now. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4656148226.html That is so much cleaner than my POS DSM.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Haha, the only thing good on that car is the paint and maybe the EGT gauge (Looks like a Greddy PHW?)

Everything else is garbage.

"Needs tune" (with an SAFC in TYOOL 2014)

"BUILT MOTOR" (with what?)

"COILOVERS" (that I guarantee suck worse than stock)

"CUSTOM RACING WHEELS" (that are lovely fake 3 piece)

The ebay special SPOON steering wheel/Spoon "Racing Seats" on a Mitsubishi says it all.

He's got more information about the loving oil cap than the engine build.

And to top it off, he has those lovely oval cuts in the front bumper that do nothing.

Do you really want to buy a car from a guy who says a "Greddy 16G" (Which never existed) can run in the 9s?

That car has DSMer herpes.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

"$18,000 invested"
"Only top of the line parts used. Granted, I can't actually tell you what any of those are, outside of the bullshit gauges and dress-up crap I bought that has logos".

"Fixing the tune" would take what, an hour or so on the dyno at RRE? If he doesn't have $100 or so to effectively double his selling price,...

No one is going to be using an SAFC2 when they're in that level, you need a much higher level of tune that can really only be met with a ton more add-ons, and anyone smart (including RRE) immediately realizes "this is stupid, I'm going to get a tunable ECU".

Is there ANYONE running mid-9's on a FWD GST, especially one that isn't a dedicated track car with a stripped interior? Never mind that the second you break 10.000 any track in the country is going to kick your rear end off until you put a roll cage in.

I mean, the RRE folks know what they're doing, but I'm pretty sure there's a few inaccuracies in these statements.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Road Race Engineering is in Santa Fe Springs, and is probably at best a 6-7 hour drive away from SF, so I think he just had some parts shipped from there at some point.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

We had some guy that was a member of NWDSM way back when that actually drove his car down there from here to have them tune it. I wouldn't discount them possibly doing a build or having a tune done there once or twice.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
I haven't been following this in a while, but the body looked to be in good shape. My car is beat to hell and probably needs $5k in body work before paint. If I had the space and a clean shell, I'd probably swap everything over.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

th vwls hv scpd posted:

I haven't been following this in a while, but the body looked to be in good shape. My car is beat to hell and probably needs $5k in body work before paint. If I had the space and a clean shell, I'd probably swap everything over.

Huh?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

In actual update news:

Sourced a condenser and some other random parts that I've been wanting (not needing), they should be arriving shortly.

I've been wanting to replace all of my coolant lines with reinforced silicone hose, but it looks like the only place that sells a "kit" these days only has red and black available, and would have to get a purple set (I kind of like the idea of purple hoses) made in China and shipped, and I'm not sure I want to wait "up to 20 days" for them to arrive. I may just go with red or black so I can get them more quickly.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

There have been certain events in my life lately that have been a deepening spiral of poo poo; that combined with what little time I've been able to hang out with ol' 14" has been focused around us doing things to maintain our already tenuous grip on sanity has meant really no time to do things with the car.

On a "positive" note, said events have basically gotten as lovely as they can, so I should at least get numbed enough to it that I can hopefully focus on getting the last few things done and get the loving car on the road again soon.

Assuming it doesn't rain.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Would have been a good idea to order those purple hoses...

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Would have been a good idea to order those purple hoses...

Thanks, Captain Hindsight!

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Got pretty much everything put back together under the car; discovered that one of the outer tie-rod ends has damaged threads so I need to buy another one.

Apparently the best way to fill the transfer case is with it out of the car and flipped over and fill through the drain hole, so I'll probably need to pull it out again soon so i can get it filled and ready.

Oh, and these showed up:

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Outer tie rod end and a more "correct" transfer case oil seal have arrived.

And of course, since this is like the first weekend I've had in a while without a ton of poo poo to do, it's going to be pissing rain.

Maybe I can get the tires on in the gaps of it pissing rain; most of the work to swap the harness and the shifter would allow me to be inside the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Here's an update where I make excuses for not getting poo poo done because it's pretty loving cold in Washington right now and it's additionally choosing to loving rain whenever I have free time to work on the car.

• Locked thread